Kauyon and Mont'ka books

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
eRa
Shas'Saal

Kauyon and Mont'ka books

Post#1 » Jan 03 2017 01:46

So I recently read the fluff in these books. I was expecting some cool battles, character development and epic scenes. I was sorely mistaken.

What I got was complete garbage. I won't even critique the overused clichés and repetitive writing. My biggest point is this: the story is like the fan fiction of the most biased fanboy in the history of fanboyism.

For the first book (and parts of the second): 1. Space marines stage quick strike on Tau forces. 2. Initial tau are overrun because space marines. 3. Surprise, it's a trap, now the Tau beat your ass. Sound familiar? It should, because this is what happens every battle involving the two. Pretty much every time the two chapters with the most skill in mobile, stealth and asymmetrical warfare get outpositioned, outmanoeuvred and outthought by shadowsun. Not only that, but they brought the (supposedly) biggest badasses in the galaxy: shrike, korsarro and the RG chapter master. Yet apparently not one of them can at any point ask themselves: "maybe this is a trap. Maybe, after the HUNDRETH *BAD WORD DELETED* TRAP WE'VE WALKED INTO, THIS COULD BE A TRAP". But no, hundreds of the chapter's elite space marines, who have no lack of experience fighting high-tech and tricky enemies (such as the Eldar/Dark Eldar), apparently can not compete with the supposed tactical genius of a relatively inexperienced shadowsun.

For the second book: The IG and admech, after the first 5 pages or so, is completely incapable of the most basic tactic or strategy other than 'send in the first wave. Then the next. Etc. Etc.'. For the admech, sure, that kinda fits their fluff. If these were krieg, valhallan or penal regiments, ok. But no, these are cadian regiments. Famed for their excellent officers, discipline and marksmanship. Not once, in the entire book, do they get the better end of an engagement. Not once does anyone other than Pask, the most legendary tank ace in the entire galaxy, do anything well. They are outthought and outfought at every single turn.

On the subject of Pask, his fight against longstrike sums this book up nicely: longstrike takes a hit from pask because he completely underestimates his opponent. Of course taking a direct and excellently aimed hit from a vanquisher battlecannon does negligable damage to his hammerhead and somehow he gets away. Then he returns and 1shots Pask's tank because tau technology and stuff. Ok. Another example: farsight handily beats an imperial assassin in close combat. Apparently all shadowsun needed was a helping hand from some passing tau. Let me repeat that: I2 and I4 characters are somehow as quick as an I7 character. The only succesful assassin of course then killed off the character no one gives a single *BAD WORD DELETED* about. There was at absolutely no point that I though farsight or shadowsun were in danger.

It's the way the imperial forces are portrayed, as completely incompetent for the better of two whole books, which makes them painful to read. There is almost no back-and-forth. Not once are the Tau outplayed. Every victory the Tau achieve feels so completely hollow because there was no real resistence, no obstacle to overcome. The Tau were 2 steps ahead of the imperium in almost every battle. If it was a hard fought victory, at least I would feel like they earned it. Instead they are the ultimate army, tactically perfect and incapable of defeat and able to overcome anything at any time with mimimal losses.

I understand that this is a Tau themed book, and they were meant to win, but for god's sake make it somewhat intense and interesting.

Sorry for this long rant, I just feel kinda frustrated that it's such a *BAD WORD DELETED!* product, especially at its price point.

Elphiel
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Kauyon and Mont'ka books

Post#2 » Jan 03 2017 02:57

I can 100% agree. I never was much into all this over epic space marine story telling. I also liked, that in the tau faction, unique characters are not the sole focus of the army and before the introduction of aun'va and shadowsun, i thought the two "heroes" we had (farsight and aun'shi) were enough, with only darkstrider being an interesting addition.

The first real war story i read in 40k universe (beside of the stuff written in the basic rulebook over the years) was the Taros campaign book. That one was a nice read, because it was well thought threw and reminded me a lot on many books about real life conflicts.

The Warzone Damocles books on the other hand are exactly as you described. Not just, that the story books of the whole boxes are only good for the nice artwork, but what annoys me the most is the total spread of dataslates, formations and rules over so many hardcover books. Its not just that, i even have to carry the space marine (which are now obsolet thanks to the new SM chapter book) and/or IG dataslates with me all the time.

Sometime i wish back the good old thin softcover codex times. A litte codex with everything inside. Perhaps i should start to cut out the datasheets from the books and build my own codex...

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jan 04 2017 12:09

Yeah, sounds a lot like Phil Kelly style of writing to me--though often Marines and Guard aren't shown as particularly bright in tactics in works beyond them just fighting Tau.

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 04 2017 07:41

While I agree with most of your post, I don't agree about Shadowsun being "relatively inexperienced". She already participated in many battles along the galaxy.

But this kind of "literature" will be found in other books as well. Sadly, GW fluff team isn't the brightest star in the galaxy...

eRa
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jan 04 2017 08:29

Vector Strike wrote:While I agree with most of your post, I don't agree about Shadowsun being "relatively inexperienced". She already participated in many battles along the galaxy.

But this kind of "literature" will be found in other books as well. Sadly, GW fluff team isn't the brightest star in the galaxy...

When compared to the decades if not millenia of combat experience the RG chapter master would have, shadowsun is most definitely inexperienced. Not to mention the large amount of RG veterans and two chapter's most prominent captains.

R.D.
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jan 04 2017 11:53

eRa wrote:
Vector Strike wrote:While I agree with most of your post, I don't agree about Shadowsun being "relatively inexperienced". She already participated in many battles along the galaxy.

When compared to the decades if not millenia of combat experience the RG chapter master would have, shadowsun is most definitely inexperienced. Not to mention the large amount of RG veterans and two chapter's most prominent captains.

'Experience' gives you diminishing returns over time, it's not like in DND. Considering that, say, a veteran NAVY Seal could still be conceivably killed by some random militiaman with an AK if he's unlucky enough (not the best comparison here, but you get the idea).

That said though, the writing often tends to put the Tau as putting more emphasis over random gambits and masterplans as opposed to the fluid OODA networked systems of fighting they really should have.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jan 08 2017 09:51

How would you have interpreted the events? Conceivably this sets the stage for the Tau for all of this year with EoT 13th Crusade taking the forefront and Mont'ka ending with a 'all is sort of, kind of, lost, but not really, don't worry' state of affairs.
~Good Hunting

Return to “Library”