Fall of Cadia

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Fall of Cadia

Post#1 » Jan 18 2017 09:08

Hey everyone,

Picked up this book a few days ago at the local in Glasgow. It's... it's an interesting step GW is taking. First of all, 40k is definitely getting the AoS treatment in terms of rules direction but also in a fluff direction.

We're getting less of an Order/Disorder smackdown so much as Warp vs. Reality split. Since all races will be playing a part I'm interested how the Tau will do anything meaningful... I really hope they don't answer the question regarding the Old Ones, or Eldar, having anything to do with their creation... It would be a 'why calmsword plays' killing decision. That and the Tyranids, I just don't see how they'll be involved.

My assumptions would be that the war goes Galaxy wide. Imperial and Abbaddon agents seem to be everywhere, trying to gain artifacts or silence them which will have an effect on the greater war. The Orks, for example, start the book by engaging Cawl as he tries to recover information about the Pylons on a planet light years away from Cadia. We might get the same treatment with CSM going to Arthas Moloch for some kind of Daemonic artifact or something.

I had initially written a chapter by chapter breakdown of the book- but ATT logged me out and I lost the entry (seriously, how does that work?). Instead I'll make some general comments and if anyone wants to ask any fluff specifics I'll post them:

Spoiler!
I think what is basically happening is that we're getting a WW2 style return of the War in Heaven. The Necrons in the form of Trazyn work to counter the Warp factions (essentially Daemons and CSM/Cultists) by using ancient weapons they designed to fight the Old Ones. Interestingly enough, it is the CSM that use ancient Eldar weapons that use the warp (ostensibly created to fight the C'tan) which makes for some interesting point/counter point.

I had thought that the Eldar saving the Imperials at the end of the book would be really... bland. But the author of the book (basically tasked with setting the stage for BL) did a pretty good job of rationalizing why humans would allow themselves to even communicate with the xenos and here's how:

Something really awful happened during the Horus Heresy that effected not just the Imperium, as common lore focuses on, but on the implications for the rest of the Galaxy and it was here that agents of humanity, despite their loathing of the Eldar, made several pacts with the more ancient race to fulfill the persecution of the war with the Warp. This REALLY works and makes the intrigue of 40k going into 8th all the better.

The only thing that doesn't work is the weird comic-relief aspect of Trazyn's character and him randomly plopping characters from the past. It just doesn't work despite this being a really interesting trope because... no one seems bothered by it, not just on a 'oh crap magic!' level but like 'it totally makes sense that these 10k year old space marines showed up'. This, and the introduction of the Legion of the Damned which really sets the stage on board the Phalanx (that is essentially a Ramalies Class Star Fort which gets attacked IN THE SOL SYSTEM before jumping toward Cadia) but then they just disappear... totally pointless.
~Good Hunting

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Re: Fall of Cadia

Post#2 » Jan 18 2017 11:02

Actually, for once GW come up with at least "not that bad" campaign book. I’m still in the middle of reading it, but if you compare this book with “Damocles” the difference in quality seems to be significant.

My favorite moment of the book was when they show us consequences of pylons activation. In particular Legion of the Damned disappearance and depowering of Saint Celestine. It’s cemented their status as “daemons of the Emperor” – at least for me it was long awaited. And how this affected guardsmen – it was so in the same tone with Fehervari theme of interconnections between souls, warp and reality. It was funny when only Black Templars were affected by Saint Celestine presence from all Adeptus Astartes.

Bonus Point - they didn't even retcon the previous 13 Black Crusade Campaign. As far as I can see, the events mostly remained intact. (Not in the case of Eldrad of course). Now this events were “first wave” of the attack on Cadia.

Kael'yn
Fio'Ui

Post#3 » Jan 18 2017 02:14

Calmsword wrote:I had initially written a chapter by chapter breakdown of the book- but ATT logged me out and I lost the entry (seriously, how does that work?). Instead I'll make some general comments and if anyone wants to ask any fluff specifics I'll post them:

You know that you can retrieve the text in modern browers (it works on Firefox at least) if you are logged out:
Just relog you and when you are directed on a blank page, just browse back two times (return key or appropriate UI button) to return on your previous text.
Or you can, just before posting, select all (Ctrl+A) and copy it (Ctrl+C) in memory, so you can paste it if needed.

About the 40k Ending Time:
Tau are lightyears away from Cadia. Back with the 13th Black Crusade, we got a bone to chew in our own galactic space. So it may continue like that: maybe the Damocles Imperial force will need to go back, to help defend Terra or fight Chaos elsewhere. So the Imperium, knowing that us are xenos too difficult to beat with a single blow, have mostly the same dangerous xenos threat to fight, may negociate a ceasefire or a non-aggression treaty, probably ally themselves with maybe Eldars and Necrons to hold back incoming Nids hivefleet (the most dangerous threat in our area), maybe even Chaos and Orks.
Why not then conclude a Tau-Imperium pact like "if you can defend one of our system, then you can bargain for supplies from them; but don't claim it yours unless you want to fight against us".
From all the xenos in the galaxy, we, and probably Eldar (oops, Aeldarii) to fight Chaos, are akin to conclude working alliances with the Imperium.
After all, the Imperium could tell itself that after Chaos will be repelled in a few hundred years, the little Tau Empire will be no match for a hundred chapters of Astartes focusing on them (the Great Crusade may have crushed xenos hold even more bigger than us).

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jan 18 2017 02:24

I still believe that, if they want the Tau to take part in the big 13th Black Crusade campaign, they are either going to make them ally with Eldar or Necron for Webway access (or else they would never make it in time on their own), find something incredibly important warp-related in their sector nobody else knew about (so they have an impact with being directly involved with the fighting the imperium has to do)....ooooor they pull some ridiculous *BAD WORD DELETED!* and give them access to warp travel with some dubious reason (given how bad most recent Tau fluff is I wouldn't be overly surprised tbh).

CmdrCASh
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jan 18 2017 06:30

Panzer wrote:I still believe that, if they want the Tau to take part in the big 13th Black Crusade campaign, they are either going to make them ally with Eldar or Necron for Webway access (or else they would never make it in time on their own), find something incredibly important warp-related in their sector nobody else knew about (so they have an impact with being directly involved with the fighting the imperium has to do)....ooooor they pull some ridiculous *BAD WORD DELETED!* and give them access to warp travel with some dubious reason (given how bad most recent Tau fluff is I wouldn't be overly surprised tbh).

Well, they could do something in the vein of the fluff in FFG's 40k RPG where there was a Necron warp gate that allowed near instantaneous travel between the Koronus Expanse in the Segmentum Obscurus and the Jericho Reach in the Ultima Segmentum (essentially across the milky way galaxy).
Ka'ash Sept

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jan 18 2017 10:43

In regard of our beloved tau and what we can get, I assume it worth to consider idea of "triumvirate" for each side. Imperial one was great success and eldar one is almost there. So, what could we expect? Allied races would be great, but personally I don't believe they do it. Apparently GW doesn't see tau without giant battlesuits anymore. Farsight, Shadowsun and O'Kais - Legacy Of Puretide, anyone?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Jan 19 2017 12:03

The strengthening of the relationship between the Emperor and the fact that many of his servants are just like Daemons is perfect and a great step forward. This goes back to 4th ed establishing that Faith is a real thing in 40k. The Black Templars worship the Emperor as a god and so have a connection to him that is effected when the Warp is overlapping with reality and when it recedes. All stars for that decision.

Bonus Point - they didn't even retcon the previous 13 Black Crusade Campaign. As far as I can see, the events mostly remained intact. (Not in the case of Eldrad of course). Now this events were “first wave” of the attack on Cadia.

Excellent point, Val'Sitsor, I loved how they kept the Imperial Naval victory.

From all the xenos in the galaxy, we, and probably Eldar (oops, Aeldarii) to fight Chaos, are akin to conclude working alliances with the Imperium.
~Kae'lyn

I actually think the same thing that happened during the EoT campaign will happen to the Tau. After all, the 3rd Sphere happened during that event (called that by the community first and then GW) and we were on the forces of Disorder. I think this makes way more sense since the Tau aren't affected by the Warp and so might just regard the CSM surging across the Galaxy as the perfect time to side with an anti-Imperial faction in retaliation for Sicarius' successful crusade that, ostensibly, ended the 3rd Sphere advance.

I think that if we get a Triumvirate (which seems like the direction each faction is going) we might get the reunification of the Empire:

O'Shova: Farsight Enclaves open contact (they basically do without any restrictions so it's just a pointless division)
Shadowsun: She's basically got her own Sept including Mu'gulath Bay (might actually get Gue'vesa)
Aun'shi: He's kind of the spiritual leader of all the Tau and might take the reigns as High Ethereal now that Aun'Va is dead.

Might get a new model for Aun'shi.

If we're in the realm of pure speculation with new characters and new models I'd say:

Some kind of Kais type suit (analogous with Cawl in size)
Maybe some kind of Kroot Master Shaper who could combine his people to fight the Tyranids- the Kroot's mortal enemy are the genestealers after all (people love Kroot... as do I)
A Vespid Queen (cuz... c'mon)
~Good Hunting

AnonAmbientLight
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jan 19 2017 05:09

Tau are likely not going to have a role to play in this narrative. They are too far from the fighting, and there's really no reason for them to be included. Consider for a second that we already had our narrative just last year. The Mont'ka and Kan'yon books was our major narrative, so I highly doubt you will see Tau show up at all.

Necron - it's just one guy that has an interest in the fighting but also to collect people, which he does collect a certain person. ;D. He's also there to explain the pylons on the planet and to push that part of the story along. Necron arguably are not even featured much in the story, let alone on the table top.

Eldar - They are there because the Imperium has likely made a deal with the Dark Eldar or maybe the Eldar themselves. The deal they made was for the Eldar to help the Imperium fix the Golden Throne since it is currently failing. They are not really featured much in the first book, but they will likely be featured in the next book because of the continuation of this story line in general.

Imperium - Pretty much every major Imperium army is represented in this series, or at the very least in the first book. Those that were missed (DA, BA, GK, etc) will likely be added in another book in this series.

Chaos - They're the main bad guys and have gotten a lot of love in the past few months. They deserve as much since they haven't had many rule updates or model updates in freaking AGES.

Do not hold your breath for Tau in this book series. We already had our moment to shine, and this particular narrative is more focused on the Imperium. If we get anything it might be a passing mention like with the Necron lord Taynatata the infinite or whoever.

As for this book series being the "Age of Sigmar" equivalent, that won't be happening. They are pushing the narrative forward, but they're not rewriting the game to the point that Warhammer Fantasy went through.

Tau will likely appear in a future narrative, but not one tied to the Fall of Cadia.
Sky IS Falling, T'au WILL Suck, Sell Me Your Models

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jan 19 2017 05:22

Not 100% right. BA 2nd company was there actually. ;)

Also when seen as a pure Imperium vs Chaos campaign then you are right. However if it's really the big (nearly) end of times campaign people are looking for/fear to see then every race might have a smaller or bigger role to play in it. It all depends on how GW decides to write the fluff.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jan 19 2017 08:35

AnonAmbientLight wrote:Tau are likely not going to have a role to play in this narrative. They are too far from the fighting, and there's really no reason for them to be included. Consider for a second that we already had our narrative just last year. The Mont'ka and Kan'yon books was our major narrative, so I highly doubt you will see Tau show up at all.

Tau will likely appear in a future narrative, but not one tied to the Fall of Cadia.

The Fall of Cadia is just the first part of "The Gathering Storm" series, which Games Workshop has explicitly stated will include every faction.

It is my understanding that the events at the end of Fall of Cadia hint that the Cadian pylons were tied to reigning in the Warp (more or less) galaxy-wide; the implication being that, lacking the pylons, warp storms and rifts have an opportunity to envelope all races in a Chaos campaign.

Not to mention a fairly notable rumor from 7 months ago which was one of the first to not only state there would be plastic releases of Rubric Marines and "Prosperine Terminators", but also Magnus, Ahriman, Eldrad, Sylandri Veilwalker (suspiciously featured in the Fall of Cadia), and more. Occurring at a time, of course, when the idea of plastic Thousand Sons was laughable, let alone a demon Primarch. Again, this rumor was posted in July, and the leak of Magnus (and subsequent video) didn't happen until October. Also, in an interview on Warhammer Live last week, one of the 'Eavy Metal painters mentioned that they start planning, scheduling, and painting new models almost a full year before release—not to mention how much earlier they need to be designed and sculpted—which might help explain the incredibly long lead time on this rumor.

Contained in this rumor was an explanation of how the Tau will be incorporated into a narrative:
"Campaign 4 Is Tau vs Imperium but later Chaos and a faction of Dark Eldar, Necrons also turn up as well apparently"
"...Campaign 4 they want a showdown between Farsight or Shadowsun and Imotekh."

Normally, I wouldn't bring such rumors onto ATT, but given this rumor's almost prophetic contents, I thought it was relevant for this conversation.

Note: I don't want to link directly to the rumor, but given what I've provided here anyone should be able to find it if they want to see the whole thing.

Return to “Library”