The State of 40k: The New Timeline

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Jacket
Shas'Saal

Re: The State of 40k: The New Timeline

Post#11 » Feb 10 2017 02:08

It's quite likely that the Tau-Necrons will be in a book. I think there are a few key plot points they are likely to look into. From likely to least likely. A weird mix of these could happen.

A: The Damocles Gulf going full warp storm and chaos/deamons attacking the Tau Empire in the back lines seems almost a certainty. Nothing as big as the main baddies though since it's a much smaller rift and area for them to attack more like a large force of raiders.
B: The civil war plotline. This gives Tau forces more reasons to fight each other and yet opens up the possibility for a grand alliance with Necrons.
B2: Farsight and Shadowsun totally hooked up at some point and their grown up kid as some sort of super commander.
C: The discovery of some sort of warp drive or some sort of superior mode of FTL since it has been an ongoing plotline since forever we are trying to break out and simply need the speed to do it.
D: Massive Tyranid and Ork grand alliance swarming over the area to the point the FSE/Tau Empire might be overwhelmed.
E: Necron/Tau/C'tan involvement plotline. Trazyn wanted to intercede in Fall of Cadia where as a good chunk of his kin seem to not want to or even just stick to the destroy all life thing. So I think we could see some sort of Necron split as well since GW is following plot beats so well. Some might want to help the Tau and others don't care about helping anyone.
F: Shas'o Kais I think it is the commander in the east gets a model/plot relevance.
G: Kroot Mercenaries get a codex and they greatly contribute to bailing us out.
H: A new xenos or different auxillary gets a small codex and in lore bails us out. Demiurg seems the most likely candidate.
I: There was strange weather controlling tech used in both Kauyon and Mont'ka and the Tau were able to use it to great affect. The book says it's only weather control satellites or something but it seems too plot significant and greatly contributed to a Tau win in Mont'ka. I think there is a good opportunity for GW to introduce a version of Tau tech (psychic) powers. Think adept/omnitool abilities from Mass Effect as opposed to strange psychic magic.
J: I've heard a crazy suggestion that Puretide could come back in some sort of super AI mecha.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Feb 10 2017 04:13

If it's from likely to least likely your list has a really weird order imo :D

I'd scrap B2 and D completely and put F way above C.
Shas'O Kais getting a model etc. is pretty much a given for me at this point.

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Post#13 » Feb 10 2017 08:02

Calmsword wrote:Warzone Damocles: 999.m41
-Kauyon: The Tau take Agrellan but are turned back on Voltoris.

-Operation Shadow Talon: The Tau engage the Ravenguard on Prefectia, an ancient fortress world that guards the Gilded Worlds. Aun'do, on his way to Shadowsun, has been shot down in 'no man's land'.

-Mont'ka: The Empire weathers a reprisal campaign on Mu'gulath Bay ending with the death of Aun'Va and the conflagration of the Damocles Gulf. The Imperium pulls back, the 3rd Sphere colonial gains remain and Farsight returns to his Enclaves under siege by Tyranids.

The initial Argellan/voltoris stuff isn't WZD:Kauyon, but just Warzone Damocles. (pretty sure it's an Apocalypse/Forgeworld release.)
Then Operation Shadowtalon/Burning Dawn.
Then Kauyon: Shadowsun and co successfully invade the world of Perfectia.

Note: At some point the Sicarius lead campaign against the Tau 'ends' the progress of the 3rd Sphere.
I think Mont'ka says that the loss at the planet (Imperial name: Argellan; Tau name Muguloth Bay), the death of Aun'va, and the big new burning nebula end the 3rd Sphere expansion. I always thought that the sicarius stuff happened during the 700s-ish Damocles crusade, and that Black Library is 2nd or 3rd tier canon, any way. I haven't read the BL stuff, though.

The Fracture of Biel'tan
???

Fluff images from the book have been leaked. I don't really follow much non-tau stuff, but from what I've gleaned, Comoragh is basically screwed/ruined/occupied, Biel'tan's infinity circuit was destroyed and the ship's making up the craft world disbanded, and Yvraine has undone Airimon's rubric, or whatever. If you want, I can probably nab an image of the sidebar that mentions Tau.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#14 » Feb 11 2017 03:33

The 'Zeist' Campaign:

"Tau expansionist activities had, in 997.M41, begun to encroach on Imperial worlds, even annexing them on occasion. By 999, planetary governors were calling for massive reinforcements to push back the Tau forces, but with the attacks of Hive Fleet Leviathan and an increase in the attacks from the Maelstrom, few were able to respond. One who could however, was Marneus Calgar. He dispatched the Ultramarines 2nd company to the Zeist Sector to draw a line through which the Tau would not be able to pass. Also, Calgar sent requests to other nearby chapters for further assistance."

Lexicanum.

"Taking place in 303.999.M41, during the Tau Empire's Third Sphere Expansion, it ran concurrently with Abaddon the Despoiler's 13th Black Crusade and the assault on Imperial space by the Tyranid Hive Fleet Leviathan."

Warhammer wiki

It's regarded as another Kauyon style feint, allowing Shadowsun to continue advancing into the Imperium even while sacrificing a major shipbuilding world. It also lines up as the official/unofficial lineup with the EoT campaign when the Empire grew 133% which means it might actually get a nod in the 3rd book. But since Mont'ka and Kauyon happen after that we might not get anything since we've already been "updated".

Gathering Storm 1 summed up the whole of the EoT campaign in the first couple of pages and then expanded on the events 'after' the former worldwide campaign. It's an excellent stroke by GW to incorporate it.
~Good Hunting

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Feb 17 2017 11:36

An interesting update. Someone read the book in more detail and found these side bits mentioned. More over at the dakka lore area, but this is the one most pertinent to us. Out fleet is missing.

The Damocles Gulf Fire Warpstorm it's receding but seems to also spread randomly trought the warp so anything engulfed by it may end warped across the galaxy.(The Tau fleet is reported as missing)

The entire fleet missing is huge. It could be anything from total destruction (seems unlikely) to being moved somewhere. What if the fleet has upgraded FTL like I've been speculating? Others think the warp activity has dropped the entire fleet off somewhere, but that doesn't make any sense since the entire fleet was not and never was in one location. We usually have smaller sub fleets for defense not one grand fleet assembly

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#16 » Feb 17 2017 05:01

The entire fleet is being a bit much, Jacket. There are thousands of starships used constantly all over the Empire and there has never been 'one' fleet.

Additionally, this is the first I'm hearing that the Damocles fire is a warpstorm. What there are are warpstorms all over the galaxy right now that are coinciding with the 13th Black Crusade.
~Good Hunting

Jacket
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Feb 17 2017 05:11

That's what the sidebar in gathering storm 2 says. Warp activity all over the galact because of Yneads birth. The humans think the Tau went somewhere in their own land according to the Eldar. It's clear even the powerful Eldar don't know where which is weird since they are so psychically attuned. They do say there are warp storms thanks to the gulf though. According to someone with the book. I'll look myself soon as I can find a copy.

I know there isn't one fleet, so I can't be sure what the writing said or if the the guy quoting it read it wrong. If it is the entire fleet then something big is about to go down.

Stupid tablet can't type well. Scroll down to lord perverse post.

https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/p ... 17304.page

Return to “Library”