Farisght: Crisis of Faith - New Farsight novel in july

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Farisght: Crisis of Faith - New Farsight novel in july

Post#19 » Jul 01 2017 11:37

@ Panzer: Well it was poignant and directly contradicts your claim.

Everyone should read Broken Sword by Guy Haley. No one should pay attention to these Farsight novels... the guy says he thinks Tau blood is red because it looks better on models... while chaos demons talk like they're out of a Berzerk episode.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#20 » Jul 01 2017 12:08

Arka0415 wrote: TauMan wrote:
And Fire Warrior gives us the "grim dark" side of the Tau; which every Black Library and Games Work writer has ignored ever since. Really want grim dark Tau? It' already there!

That sounds interesting! Could you explain a little bit about what you mean?

The following comes from both the first and second Tau codices.
"The Fire caste is capable of battle rage and there have been occasions where the death of an especially beloved Ethereal has enraged an army beyond endurance. This does not result in them rushing into hand-to-hand combat. Instead they advance steadily while pouring an unceasing volume of fire into the enemy. Such an attack will only be halted by the expenditure pf all ammunition. -- pg. 13, Codex Tau Empire, Games Workshop Ltd. © Games Workshop Limited, 2001.

The second part of this was some background material about Crisis Battle Teams that GW use to have posted on their website. The following is the more current "retcon" of the lore of Mon'at" and is still on our A.T.T. Battle Suit Configurations

Vior'la Monats tend to be Tau with a grudge, often the lone survivor of a team bonded by the Ta'lissera as young Fire Warriors. The Monat has seen his comrades die and has become skilled in the ways of war. They are consequently teams of one, although they make extensive use of drones.

Originally the description of mon'at was much like the battle rage described above. With the Vior'lan crisis suit pilot only going "mon'at" when his other team members were killed. A Mon'at pilot wouldn't stop till he was either killed or there was no more enemy. So before mon'at meant a one man crisis suit team, mon'at meant to go crazy.

Simon Spurrier took all this information and put it into his novel "Fire Warrior"
"He was a daemon in Fire Warrior armour. He was a ghost of the past, a Mont’au devil, bathing in the blood of his enemies and existing only to kill." -- pg 56 Fire Warrior by Simon Spurrier, Games Workshop Ltd. © Games Workshop Limited, 2005, 2011.

This fact that Tau can go "berserk" though not in the same way as humans do, has always been there; but for some reason no other writer for BL or GW has ever picked up on it. There are endless possibilities with this yet no one has ever exploited other than Simon Spurrier?

I'm simplifying it of course, but I won't say more because you really want to read Fire Warrior. There is at least one author here on the A.T.T. forum, that has tried to exploit this facet of Tau psychology. But I'll let you decide if he got it right, And He Shall Know Fear.

TauMan
PS Let out an important detail about Braden Campbell's Shadowsun: Last of Kiru's Line.

NOTE: The infamous "Shadowsun Nude Scene" does not exist! Seriously, where the hell did this come from? Some fans took the fact Shadowsun has to remove her clothes (she has to dive into a river) and accused Mr. Campbell of puerile and juvenile interests. Really there's not even a description of what she looks like nude, nothing at all! So really everyone give it a rest, there is nothing there to be upset about. :(
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jul 01 2017 12:14

Yeah, Guy Haley and Peter Fehervari know how to handle tau stories right, indeed.
However, while I pretty much despises the previous book, I must admit that not everything was completely wrong – Phill have some nice ideas and concepts, but just can’t made them work. And mocking this book through retelling it on forums was fun and get me a lot of positive reputation. I already got the book and going to do this over again. Besides, I want to know where this going from here – up or down.
Just hope that some good story saves me from the side-effects.

As for recomended books here I definitely don't recomend "Aun'Shi" and "Shadowsun". Campbell not exactly bad in what he brings to tau lore. but he lacks skill in writting nessesary to the task.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#22 » Jul 01 2017 07:53

I'm about halfway through this book... it is so completely terrible... so utterly a piece of garbage... It's like this guy doesn't know there are any other books/codexes out there... it's so so so so so... so bad.

It honestly reads like an anime novel for Tweens, the Chaos daemons sound like they walked out of a Berserk episode which was translated to German and then English.

Clearly someone rattled the author's cage because we've got Tau killing other Tau almost every other chapter with Aun'va literally just saying 'kill yourself' to a Tau who's subordinate extrapolated the reason for the Farsight led expedition is to... get rid of the Shas leadership lest they unbalance all of Tau society.. which is... okay... whatever- I think this is where I get off reading from this guy's imagination...
~Good Hunting

jagonchen
Shas'Saal

Farsight: Crisis of Faith

Post#23 » Jul 04 2017 10:22

I just finished reading the book and IMO :eek: several hints and confirmations. What do you think of the new lore shown in the novel?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Jul 05 2017 08:34

Well... I read it: It's badly written... like, some kind of anime 13+ novel. Seriously... My opinion of Farsight is that he's a tween fighting the urges of hormonal relief as well as emo-freedom. The combat is described in the most basic of WB action sequences- I wish there had been the grim-horror that other warriors experience in a Graham McNeil novel when they encounter the other-worldly. This was an Anime script.

Historical inaccuracies: It takes a google search, yeesh: Author does not know that S'y'l'kell is on the Imperial side of space...

If I could boil it down it's probably in this Farsight quote as he talks to Shadowsun, who sound like they were all deeply abused or something because whenever one of them apologizes the other says that they should be apologizing... yet they still hate each other- whatever:

“Now, we will be separated by time. But we shall be just as united in our goals. Our team’s influence shall transcend one lifetime, and grow ever stronger as the Tau’va conquers the stars.”

... Tau'va 'conquers' the stars eh? So even amongst the heroes and true exemplars of the Greater Good they refer to what they are doing as conquering? Not enlightening? This is the biggest problem with the book and the authors take on this faction.

Anyway- for the lore nuts out there:

Tau Culture:

Earth Caste is the largest Caste

Dal'yth seems to have largely female leadership/envoys even amongst their human auxiliaries.

“Given the cultural norms of Dal’yth’s elemental councils, she was almost certainly a female, or a close analogue.”

History:

Multiple Chaos factions fought on Molchite: Khorn and Tzeench daemons.

Farsight tried to make peace by trading with the Tzeenchians by offering them gems.

Tau are aware of the digital technology of the jokaero

Characters

Ethereal's with Farsight landings on Arthas Moloch:

Aun'Diem: directed fire warrior's gun lines

Aun'Los:

Aun'Xa: The first to die on Moloch.

Monat'Shas Kais: “Kais was compact, muscular and unassuming, but with a mind like no other, honed to vicious perfection by Puretide’s teachings. His mismatched eyes were closed, not so much as if he were asleep, but as if he were meditating on the optimal use of a gun. Farsight felt a swell of emotion at seeing those chiselled features once more.”

Farsight experiences some measure of chaos 'pressure' when he experiences a migraine fighting a bloodthirsty...

Culture

domati wyrmships

"“To defeat the enemy, one must first know him.”~puretide

Arachen are used in propaganda commercials

"“When the enemy is unknown to you, retreat, learn and adapt.” ~Puretide

"“Our conquest is inevitable,
our ascension a matter of time.
Let none who are wise deny our destiny.’
– Aun’Va”

Gold remains the "affirmative" or "optimal" color for Cisis suit pilots.

Silver is just below Gold in importance- "secondary"

Red-copper below that

Tau refer to Daemons as Molochites

Technology:

Crisis Suits have auto translation programs... apparently able to translate Daemons... which is dumb.

Cameras are called vid-thief

Mirrorfield: I guess they don't use glass.

Progress-class capital ships: Apparently gigantic ships.

“stalactite-like nest vessels of the vespid”

demiurg autominer bastions

greet stealthers

Shi’oni scramblers: Maybe a fighter varient

Timbra Sub-Sector Worlds

Vespertine

Matinsong

“Dal’yth-Akul Trade Station": Near Akul, a formerly infested Hrud dead-world.

Silken Conquests: Diplomatic victories
First- guns and tech traded
Second- medicine

Vocabulary

Shio'he: Tau olfactory organ

Shas’tral: Ethereal Guard

Events

We have our first example of Tau killing Tau... One of the Water Caste is 'infected' by madness when he touches a warp drive... an imperial warp drive... which is described as a box when the thing is supposed to be a massive chamber- whatever. Keep in mind in other fluff a Tau colony is transported INTO the warp by Fabius Bile who then commits horrible atrocities on the population and, still, the Tau don't turn on one another but on the Vespid and Kroot... uuuggghhh.

And! Aun'Va orders a water caste envoy to kill herself- with her own bonding knife! Because one of her subordinates embarrassed him! He just says it "kill yourself" and she does- well! Guess that part of the codex now has some canonical proof! You might wondering why I'm ending everything in an exclamation point- it's because that's my brain overflowing with hate that it's now gone to the other side and just loves what this author keeps doing to my faction- he's just so AWESOME!.... ..... .... Someone's gotta stop him.

Nicassar: I guess we're going with psychic polar bears instead of Elephants:

“ursine nicassar delegate floating in a healsphere with his ivory hair-quills slicked across his stubby, clawed limbs.”

Problems with the book:

Overall it's written poorly, plain and simple. But then there are things like:

“Por Malcaor fought the urge to spill a mouthful of curses, to bunch his fists and punch these two harpies over and over until there was nothing left but shapeless, gory mush. The bitterness in his blood grew more concentrated still, growing so rich he felt it would coagulate into hard, slicing scabs. One day, perhaps, those shards of ire would make their way up into his skull to lacerate his brain.”

It just feels like a shonin anime book for Tweens.

Then there's the return of the 'vash'ya' problem where O'shova is accused of stepping outside of his Caste when he offers to help the Earth caste repair the city... I mean... How can anyone defend this author after that? A Por in the last book had pieces of art and that was considered treason?!?!

O'Shova is supposed to pilot a suit that was typical of the time- everyone is flying an XV8- which would be considerably more advanced if you look at the timeline.

“With so many salutes to honour, his arm joints would be worn to ruin before the end of the kai’rotaa.”
You know... cuz honor exhausts the honored...

When Farsight is appointed High Commander, in public mind you, he is threatened with death by Aun'va... So... more BS in that corner. Shadowsun is jealous about not being picked... great, the second most famous Tau commander is as vain as Farsight feels like the adoration he gets is undeserved- anyone seen Gundam?

And for the second expedition force's true reason to be sent was to get rid of the Fire Caste leadership that had saved Dal'yth? I mean- how did the Tau ever get a year past the Mont'au with this kind of double dealing- why would anyone be happy to serve in this Empire?

The Coldstar was also invented by O'vesa... he's invented everything so far... literally. Even a Stormsurge... Yet this is 200 years in the past and they are still prototypes... ugh.

It's these small mistakes, these little errors that are so telling. For example:

“The number of tau lives entrusted to him had spiralled over a hundred billion.”

Remember when a single Hive's population was as great as that of an entire Sept?

Or how about when a human psyker inquisitor relates that the Tau spirit is dim by comparison to a human, "even an ork"- does the author not realize that Orks are incredibly potent? How has he not heard about the color red?
Last edited by Calmsword on Jul 08 2017 02:37, edited 1 time in total.
~Good Hunting

Miond
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Jul 06 2017 12:34

I recently bought the T'au re-release/collection and have been going through the stories by release date (Fire Warrior, Kill Team and Firecaste so far), and it's interesting to see the difference in care and skill from author to author..

Calmsword wrote:Dal'yth seems to have largely female leadership/envoys even amongst their human auxiliaries.

“Given the cultural norms of Dal’yth’s elemental councils, she was almost certainly a female, or a close analogue.”

And here I thought T'au norms were to serve in the rank best suited to you.. so unless there's local mutations making the women better this would be a pretty clear deviation from the empire's interpretation of the Tau'va.
..Can an entire sept be sent off to reeducation camps?

Calmsword wrote:We have our first example of Tau killing Tau... One of the Water Caste is 'infected' by madness when he touches a warp drive... an imperial warp drive... which is described as a box when the thing is supposed to be a massive chamber- whatever. Keep in mind in other fluff a Tau colony is transported INTO the warp by Fabius Bile who then commits horrible atrocities on the population and, still, the Tau don't turn on one another but on the Vespid and Kroot... uuuggghhh.

At least there's some precedent here in Kais almost being corrupted, but then, he was already 'broken', emotional and dreaming/wishful. Then again, other tau completely resisted prolonged attempts and corrupting them by chaos sorcerers and high-end daemons.. while unaware of the warp/chaos/psykers.

Eh, the problem here boils down mostly to lack of justification and inaccuracy of the wrap drives description, not to mention that I'm unsure if a warp drive can even do that...

Calmsword wrote:And! Aun'Va orders a water caste envoy to kill herself- with her own bonding knife! Because one of her subordinates embarrassed him! He just says it "kill yourself" and she does- well! Guess that part of the codex now has some canonical proof! You might wondering why I'm ending everything in an exclamation point- it's because that's my brain overflowing with hate that it's now gone to the other side and just loves what this author keeps doing to my faction- he's just so AWESOME!.... ..... .... Someone's gotta stop him.

Oh yay.

Because the tau just weren't grimdark enough already with the 'mental conditioning', emotion suppression and pheromones

Calmsword wrote:When Farsight is appointed High Commander, in public mind you, he is threatened with death by Aun'va... So... more BS in that corner. Shadowsun is jealous about not being picked... great, the second most famous Tau commander is as vain as Farsight feels like the adoration he gets is undeserved- anyone seen Gundam?

Aun'Va sounds like a spoiled teen on a powertrip.. remind me, why is he the queen-bee in charge again?

As for Gundam, which of them, Seed?

Calmsword wrote:And for the second expedition force's true reason to be sent was to get rid of the Fire Caste leadership that had saved Dal'yth? I mean- how did the Tau ever get a year past the Mont'au with this kind of double dealing- why would anyone be happy to serve in this Empire?

I'm reminded of the plot in "Kill Team", neither seemed very much like how the tau would handle internal disagreements like this.. *sighs*

Calmsword wrote:“The number of tau lives entrusted to him had spiralled over a hundred billion.”

Remember when a single Hive's population was as great as that of an entire Sept?

Or how about when a human psyker inquisitor relates that the Tau spirit is dim by comparison to a human, "even an ork"- does the author not realize that Orks are incredibly potent? How has he not heard about the color red?

I guess they can't afford anyone with decent knowledge of the setting to go over their early drafts.. never mind that they probably could find fans willing to do this for free :roll:

Guess it'll be a little while before I can convince myself to read this one..

Val'Sitsor
Shas'Saal

Post#26 » Jul 06 2017 01:40

Just finished reading the book.
Not in the Kelly defence, mind you, but still - tau that kill other tau was not just shaken or gone mad. He was possessed by demon.
And the beginning I felt motivated – motivated to write very long and cruel review on goodreads and even thought that it can potentially help (Fehervari get some care from GW after all his fans support after all), but the longer I read the more I started to think why I even care. It is just too long to list everything that is wrong with this book. We all already knew that he doesn’t care about other writers, but he apparently doesn’t care even about his own writing. Everything that has some worth in previous book, a lot of scenes, the moment where Farsight give in to misplaced hatred and made wrong choice – all of it was built on the fact that Farsight really kill his mentor, not just worsen his health – kill. And now it was retkoned to the ground. Kelly, it was your own book, damn it! All this emotion between Farsight and Shadowsun now is even more pointless. How author can do this to his own work???
And I was trying to be objective. Dialogs with Coldstar AI was not exactly bad (despite the sad fact that OVesa invent everything AGAIN), and Aun’Shi wasn’t look like other moron-etherials. It was single thing that I would be never forgive. He avoided for now – lucky for me. There was one or two solid scenes but inconsistency and poor quality of the writing ruins just everything. Even if not for his crazy ideas, it is just too bad as a literary text.

And the thing with etherials... I don't know. They just behave like power hunger rulers who are constantly afraid of loosing that power. When literary NOTHING threaten their regime. Someone should tell Kelly that if he want to create a character who look villainous, force him to be cruel isn’t nearly enough. Character needs REASON to such behavior, otherwise he wouldn’t be convincing at all. But we just have Stupid Evil all along the books…

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#27 » Jul 06 2017 05:41

While I expect this book to be as terrible as anything else he's done with our faction, there are some complaints here that seem strange.
Calmsword wrote:“Now, we will be separated by time. But we shall be just as united in our goals. Our team’s influence shall transcend one lifetime, and grow ever stronger as the Tau’va conquers the stars.”

... Tau'va 'conquers' the stars eh? So even amongst the heroes and true exemplars of the Greater Good they refer to what they are doing as conquering? Not enlightening? This is the biggest problem with the book and the authors take on this faction.

It's never not been called conquest? Later on in your post you have a recently-cited quote from Aun'va using the word conquest, there's the little sio't meditation from Shi'ur in Fire Warrior "no conquest without control", and the Tau frequently talk about having a manifest destiny. I don't think they've been aggressive in stating what they're doing is conquering, but I think many high-ranking tau can see through the euphemisms.

Calmsword wrote:We have our first example of Tau killing Tau... One of the Water Caste is 'infected' by madness when he touches a warp drive... an imperial warp drive... which is described as a box when the thing is supposed to be a massive chamber- whatever. Keep in mind in other fluff a Tau colony is transported INTO the warp by Fabius Bile who then commits horrible atrocities on the population and, still, the Tau don't turn on one another but on the Vespid and Kroot... uuuggghhh.

And! Aun'Va orders a water caste envoy to kill herself- with her own bonding knife! Because one of her subordinates embarrassed him! He just says it "kill yourself" and she does- well! Guess that part of the codex now has some canonical proof! You might wondering why I'm ending everything in an exclamation point- it's because that's my brain overflowing with hate that it's now gone to the other side and just loves what this author keeps doing to my faction- he's just so AWESOME!.... ..... .... Someone's gotta stop him.

I think there's been two canonical instances of Tau killing Tau in the past. Certainly one is in Fire Warrior when Lusha tells Kais that his father killed a 'ui. I don't have a page number because I have a digital copy, but:
‘He shot a shas’ui, once, just for questioning orders. Did you know that? He was a snae’ta, Kais. A mighty general and a powerful fighter, but a snae’ta nonetheless.’

I think there's one more about two shas having an honor duel in one of the earlier sources as well, but I can't seem to find it right now.

Calmsword wrote:O'Shova is supposed to pilot a suit that was typical of the time- everyone is flying an XV8- which would be considerably more advanced if you look at the timeline.
The XV8 was already an established suit at the time of the Damocles Crusade. The battle at Dal'yth marked the end of the Second Sphere, by the end of which "repulsor jump engines came into their own and the Hunter Cadres were conquering planets at a rate never before seen." Also, the T-series were prototyped in 576.M39 and were "quickly replaced with the V-series"—considering the end of the Second Sphere is over 2,000 years later, I think they'd have made something that looked like a conventional XV8 by then. Besides, Farsight has always been depicted in an XV8.

Calmsword wrote:“With so many salutes to honour, his arm joints would be worn to ruin before the end of the kai’rotaa.”
You know... cuz honor exhausts the honored...

It seems like he was tired of returning salutes. Any shas would salute him once, but he would be returning the gesture all day. Also, please mind your "cuz"—forum standards and all that.

Calmsword wrote:When Farsight is appointed High Commander, in public mind you, he is threatened with death by Aun'va... So... more BS in that corner. Shadowsun is jealous about not being picked... great, the second most famous Tau commander is as vain as Farsight feels like the adoration he gets is undeserved- anyone seen Gundam?

Which one? There's over 20 TV series alone that spread across several universes.

Anyways, I haven't worked up the willpower to read it yet myself because I know it's bad. But I would try not to complain about things that aren't actually issues—there are plenty of bigger real ones for us without picking imaginary canon fights ;) .

Miond wrote:
Calmsword wrote:And for the second expedition force's true reason to be sent was to get rid of the Fire Caste leadership that had saved Dal'yth? I mean- how did the Tau ever get a year past the Mont'au with this kind of double dealing- why would anyone be happy to serve in this Empire?

I'm reminded of the plot in "Kill Team", neither seemed very much like how the tau would handle internal disagreements like this.. *sighs*

To be fair, Kill Team pretty much debuted with the release of the T'au Empire in the game itself, and it was written by Gav Thorpe who played a big role in shaping the faction as a whole. The motivations seem plausible, but I've seen an alternate take on the plot wherein the whole point was to lure the Imperials into the assassination simply to better justify fighting the Imperium—those devious Gue'la did this! Regardless, I find Kill Team to be the "purest" source of Tau fiction in the novels, but even it has some ups and downs: The Tau are vegetarian, but shas were/are hunters? And the Kor still have visible atrophied wings?

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#28 » Jul 06 2017 06:46

Calmsword wrote:Crisis Suits have auto translation programs... apparently able to translate Daemons... which is dumb.

Tau'fann the quote of the millennium; because isn't that Phil Kelly's entire novel Farsight: Crisis of Faith?!

Calmsword wrote:Well... I read it: It's badly written... like, some kind of anime 13+ novel. Seriously... My opinion of Farsight is that he's a tween fighting the urges of hormonal relief as well as emo-freedom. The combat is described in the most basic of WB action sequences- I wish there had been the grim-horror that other warriors experience in a Graham McNeil novel when they encounter the other-wordley. This was an Anime script.

I'm still voting for Filmation's He-Man Masters of the Universe. I think tween anime is way too sophisticated for the likes of Mr. Phil Kelly. :P

Okay so I just don't repeat what everyone else has said, let then make a list of Mr. Kelly's crimes. Let's just call is the list of charges on the indictment. But let me clear Mr. Kelly of the charge of ignorance of either Tau or WH40k lore; it seems he just doesn't care!

The Indictment
  • Doesn't care about established Tau lore
  • Doesn't care about established Warhammer 40K lore
  • Doesn't care about established Tau culture or language long established by other BL authors
  • Doesn't care about his own writing, his own established characters, his own plot lines, or previous exposition
  • Doesn't care about fans of the WH40K universe, and certainly not about fans of the Tau in general
  • Doesn't care about the "willing suspension of disbelief" or believability in general
  • Doesn't care whether or not his writing is good, or about good writing in general
  • Just doesn't care.

So What do We do?
Kryptorevisionism- We all know what a retcon is? That's when the writers, producers, or artists of a franchise rewrite the background lore; either eliminating or ignoring characters, events, and plot lines. Sometime the plot line is rewritten so that major characters that were "never born" or major events that "never happened". Kryptorevisionism is when the fans do this. There have been entire Star Trek movies that were made; which no one ever talks about, because the fans have decided, "it never happened". Same is true for Dr. Who and Star Wars "By the Power of Castle Grayskull, I banish you Phil Kelly!" :D

This means we ignore

• All his characters and their character development
  • All the lore that he creates - Tau or WH40k
  • All the Tau words or phrase that he creates
  • And we don't add any of his material to lexicons, concordances, or plot summaries. Add it to nothing.
  • It'll be like "Phil Kelly was never born..."

Final Observations (For what they're worth)
Nicassar - as far I know they've always been space polar bears. One artist here on the A.T.T. Orbital has even posted a drawing of a levitating six legged polar bear. Although I have seen some artwork on line showing them as a kind of "space cephalopod" some even have a nautilus like shells.

Shio'he is the bone or stone that is only found in the nasal silts of Ethereals. Comes from Fire Warrior by Simon Spurrier. Please ignore anything written by Phil Kelly!

The TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#29 » Jul 07 2017 11:29

Arc'thunder: read the book, then you can get back to me.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#30 » Jul 08 2017 02:30

Calmsword wrote:Arc'thunder: read the book, then you can get back to me.

Touché! :dead:

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#31 » Jul 08 2017 03:39

So, I'm getting a firm 'wait for the movie' vibe here.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#32 » Jul 08 2017 04:25

Jefffar wrote:So, I'm getting a firm 'wait for the movie' vibe here.

Best to wait for the episode of MST3000 instead. Can't wait to hear what Crow, Tom Servo and Joel have to say! :P

TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#33 » Jul 09 2017 12:52

Tauman:

Fyi we have descriptions of Nicassar from at least one Inquisitor book where they are described as having a beak.
~Good Hunting

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#34 » Jul 09 2017 02:41

Ha-ha I can top that! Just read Kill Team by Gav Thorpe, and guess what? The Tau were using alien psykers since the beginning! There is a description of psykers from an unnamed bipedal alien race with greenskin, who are hired by the Tau to "verify" the identities and motivations of mercenaries hired to fight for Brightsword.

So shouldn't Tau have allowed been to use psyker auxiliaries all along?

I think the problem is that no one at BL or GW cares enough to keep the lore straight, or bother checking what someone else has already published. It's not just Phill Kelly doing it, but everyone in Nottingham at GW or BL. Maybe what we think of as "retcon" changes are really "my-lazy-arse-is-just-too-lazy-to-check-it-out"?

Is the Sisters of Battle Monastery World called Orphelia IV or Orphelia VII? Depends on which BL novel you read, but both are canon now.

Your brain on WH40K lore.

TauMan
"MY BRAIN HURTS!"
PS Does anyone know where the "Space Polar Bear" idea of the Nicassar comes from anyway?
Last edited by TauMan on Jul 09 2017 09:08, edited 1 time in total.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

ARC'Thunder
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#35 » Jul 09 2017 04:44

Calmsword wrote:Arc'thunder: read the book, then you can get back to me.

Get back to you on what? My statements and criticisms of your comments do not hinge on my understanding of the book.

I've simply pointed out where your assumptions of previous T'au fluff are incorrect and are thus not contradicted by this book, you seem to have misinterpeted something in the book in order to make fun of it, or you didn't provide a clear reference (seriously, I've got a handful of Gundam series under my belt so in order for me to understand your comment I'll need a bit more than "one character is jealous of another").

I know the novel is terrible--that's why I've neither endorsed it with my money or bothered to read it. Anyone who supports his writing by purchasing his T'au stories are doing the hobby and our faction a disservice. Beyond what damage Kelly does to our existing lore, he's simply not cut out to write novels yet. He can do small blurbs in codices, but elaborate story telling is beyond his current writing capability.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#36 » Jul 09 2017 08:33

It'd be a waste if a forum post to discuss a novel that the other party hasnt read.

If you're just going after my own criticisms (such as the use ot the word 'cuz') it's okay, literally (no sarcasm) I'm just going to pass.
~Good Hunting

Return to “Library”