8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
User avatar
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1510

8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#1 » Apr 23 2017 06:06

Here is a map of what the new 8th Edition 40k Galaxy looks like with smaller 'Eyes' opening all over. Note that the Tau Empire has the Fantasy Flight 'Hadex Anomaly' as the closest major rift site.

I'm hoping that GW ends up taking all the fluff from FF's brief management and includes it and this seems to be a slight nod in that direction.

Hopefully this map helps out with our stellar cartographers here on the Orbital.

Image
~Good Hunting

User avatar
Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1010

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#2 » Apr 23 2017 07:31

So the Galaxy is almost bisected by Warp Rifts now? Or am I misinterpreting the map?

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 354

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#3 » Apr 23 2017 08:14

You are not. The Tau are also surrounded by a Necron Empire, Tyranids, and the new warp rifts sprouting from the Hadex anomaly. Did the Tau empire get bigger? Usually its depicted as smaller than it is on this new map.

The IoM is split between Guillimans and the Imperium Nihlius cut off from them.

The Hadex Anomaly was actually in the Deathwatch Codex before this new map. So I knew this was going to happen. This also canonically means chaos won the Reach.

The last known lore on the Tau we have from a sidebar in GS3 is that an entire Tau fleet was destroy/vanished (not sure which) from a giant warp wurm or something. IoM fleet was also being destroyed and had to pull out.

User avatar
Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Posts: 1010

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#4 » Apr 23 2017 08:29

Interesting, that isolates Ba'al from Gulliman's sect. The only Legion Homeworld on the other side of the line.

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 354

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#5 » Apr 23 2017 08:54

This map is amusing. The IoM players are going to have to admit they can't beat Tau anymore. With their resources cut in half they simply can't muster enough forces anymore. Even if we get wiped out by everything else I can at least say the IoM/Marines couldn't take us down. Heh. Worth it.

User avatar
Blueshock
Shas'Vre
Posts: 975
Contact:

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#6 » Apr 23 2017 09:55

The real interesting thing here is that with the Imperium's forces effectively cut in 2, Guilliman will be looking elsewhere for help. Being the most diplomatic Primarch who's door do you think he's gonna be knocking at next?
My T'au Army

~My Life for the Empire~

User avatar
Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Posts: 1510

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#7 » Apr 23 2017 10:12

We're still filthy xenos. If anything- i would think everyone just got a little more intolerant of everyone else.

As well as it should be amidst our grim-dark-universe of darkness.
~Good Hunting

User avatar
Lyi'ot
Por'O
Posts: 2730

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#8 » Apr 24 2017 12:06

Doombringer pointed out to me that the bisection roughly parallels the path of the Jericho Maw warp gate, which connects (connected?) the Calixis Sector in Segmentum Obscurus to the Jericho Reach in the Eastern Fringe. A nice coincidence... or not. :crafty:

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 354

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#9 » Apr 24 2017 12:15

Well obviously. The Hadex Anomaly was in the Jericho Reach. As soon as I seen the Hadex Anomaly in the DW codex I knew it was about to become much more plot relevant.

User avatar
Lyi'ot
Por'O
Posts: 2730

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#10 » Apr 24 2017 01:29

Jacket wrote:Well obviously. The Hadex Anomaly was in the Jericho Reach. As soon as I seen the Hadex Anomaly in the DW codex I knew it was about to become much more plot relevant.

Both Hadex and the Calixis Sector have had slight nods in previous maps, going back years. For instance, Hadex makes an appearance in at least one Eldar codex. (It is marked with the same unknown rune as the Ymga Monolith.)

For my part, I just noticed that everything about the Cicatrix Maledictum (Cursed Scar?) is labeled "Imperium Nilihus." This lends credence to the idea that half the Imperium really is cut off from the Golden Throne... for however much longer the Throne functions.

User avatar
Kael'yn
Fio'Ui
Posts: 1062

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#11 » Apr 24 2017 02:12

Does anyone also noted that we are now "T ' au Empire" and not Tau Empire ?
Trademarking move ?

Imperium Nihilus can be translated to " Imperium no longer " so these areas don't see the Astronomical like in Heresy time and warp travel will be difficult for humans and will probably return to isolation/sedition.

Tau, because they are close to a thin warp anomlay , could be bargained or invaded by Imperium to secure a passage. If we have a better non psychic FTL then our ships could pilot rogue trader or imperials fleets through the rift.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 2652

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#12 » Apr 24 2017 02:39

The IoM is not as much cut in half as it may seem though. Almost every chapters homeworld is still on Terras side and so are many other important worlds. The outer galaxies worlds were always less important than the ones close to Terra for the most part.

Definitely an interesting development though. Wonder why the big warp rift didn't go towards Terra as it was supposed to though.
Also I'd like to see the same map with updated Tyranid tendrils now. :D

Jacket
Shas'Saal
Posts: 354

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#13 » Apr 24 2017 03:39

Panzer wrote:The IoM is not as much cut in half as it may seem though. Almost every chapters homeworld is still on Terras side and so are many other important worlds. The outer galaxies worlds were always less important than the ones close to Terra for the most part.

Definitely an interesting development though. Wonder why the big warp rift didn't go towards Terra as it was supposed to though.
Also I'd like to see the same map with updated Tyranid tendrils now. :D

There's a joke going around the nid players that the white stuff is the mountain of nids in the background. I think it's just a joke though or the most epic GW troll of all time. If they had the guts to pull that off I wouldn't even be mad at Age of Emperor that follows.

User avatar
Tael
Fio'O
Posts: 5657
Contact:

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#14 » Apr 24 2017 07:13

That rift is a little rough, bisecting the Imperium and essentially wiping out anyone east of the Astronomicon. If the Horus Heresy series is anything to go by, travelling the warp in that scenario is Russian Roulette indeed.

Pretty sure Blood Angel players will be upset.

A softer approach would have been breaches at specific points, like mini-eyes. Hazards needing to be navigated around, but allow Skaven like tunnels for Chaos across the galaxy. So I am surprised at this deadly division.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 2652

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#15 » Apr 24 2017 07:28

Tael wrote:That rift is a little rough, bisecting the Imperium and essentially wiping out anyone east of the Astronomicon. If the Horus Heresy series is anything to go by, travelling the warp in that scenario is Russian Roulette indeed.

Pretty sure Blood Angel players will be upset.

A softer approach would have been breaches at specific points, like mini-eyes. Hazards needing to be navigated around, but allow Skaven like tunnels for Chaos across the galaxy. So I am surprised at this deadly division.


Nah, we aren't upset at all actually. ;)
Also it looks like there are two passges through the new warp rift if you look closely, so not every hope is dead yet. I think they knowingly decided against a softer approach. It's supposed to be an "in your face" change. Drama baby. :D

User avatar
TauMan
Shas'Ui
Posts: 553
Contact:

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#16 » Apr 24 2017 07:44

Kael'yn wrote:Does anyone also noted that we are now "T ' au Empire" and not Tau Empire ?
Trademarking move ?

No reason, it's Games Workshop after all.

T'au is the official spelling of the Tau home world. Maybe someone at GW read the Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017? Wait, what was I thinking? No, they didn't read it; just a weird, un-explainable fluke.

Because's Games Workshop after all.

That' didn't help any, but okay - I tried.
TauMan

EDITED: Because I didn't finish my thoughts...

Cicatrix Maledictum, according to Google Translate (Latin to English) means: "The scar is a curse."

FYI: Just looking at the map, you can see it doesn't go completely across the Milky Way galaxy. Which means you can go around it. Also, like any geographical feature (Yes, I know it's in space; but were talking about GW here!) the Cicatrix Maledictum therefore must high and low points. Which means you can go over it or under it, and would probably have "valleys" that would allow a pretty straight through it.

Just saying...it's Games Workshop after all!

The TauMan
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

User avatar
Panzer
Shas'La
Posts: 2652

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#17 » Apr 24 2017 10:50

TauMan wrote:
Kael'yn wrote:Does anyone also noted that we are now "T ' au Empire" and not Tau Empire ?
Trademarking move ?

No reason, it's Games Workshop after all.

T'au is the official spelling of the Tau home world. Maybe someone at GW read the Expanded Tau Lexicon 2017? Wait, what was I thinking? No, they didn't read it; just a weird, un-explainable fluke.

Because's Games Workshop after all.

That' didn't help any, but okay - I tried.
TauMan

EDITED: Because I didn't finish my thoughts...

Cicatrix Maledictum, according to Google Translate (Latin to English) means: "The scar is a curse."

FYI: Just looking at the map, you can see it doesn't go completely across the Milky Way galaxy. Which means you can go around it. Also, like any geographical feature (Yes, I know it's in space; but were talking about GW here!) the Cicatrix Maledictum therefore must high and low points. Which means you can go over it or under it, and would probably have "valleys" that would allow a pretty straight through it.

Just saying...it's Games Workshop after all!

The TauMan

No offense TauMan, but could you please cut back your GW whining a bit? Half of your post wasn't constructive at all. This goes for your post in the other 8th edition threat as well.
Really annoying to read the constant pessimism of members of the community in that tone all the time. Why not just say you don't expect much from GW according to past experience and call it a day? Why all the snark and whining?
Last edited by Panzer on Apr 25 2017 03:10, edited 1 time in total.

BillyBones
Shas'La
Posts: 97

Re: 8th Edition: The Eye Opens

Post#18 » Apr 25 2017 02:04

I would translate the Cicatrix Maledictum as a Cursed Scar

Return to “Library”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests