Tau Artillery

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

Tau Artillery

Post#1 » Jun 23 2017 09:35

Currently writing a story, what do the Tau use as an analogue to artillery? They have to have something for heavy long range out of LOS fire support, modern warfare would be next to impossible without it. I know they have the suit version which is stupidly short ranged for what I am looking for. I was thinking of either incorporating the four legged model that someone made and have it be an artillery suit or probably a variant suit for the Storm Surge. Basically I need a battery of guns to sit behind a mountain and fire on a position with calls for fire from a forward observer. The gravity well is contested so no orbital bombardments.

BillyBones
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Tau Artillery

Post#2 » Jun 23 2017 09:57

Tau'nar could work.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 23 2017 10:00

Fokke wrote:Currently writing a story, what do the Tau use as an analogue to artillery? They have to have something for heavy long range out of LOS fire support, modern warfare would be next to impossible without it. I know they have the suit version which is stupidly short ranged for what I am looking for. I was thinking of either incorporating the four legged model that someone made and have it be an artillery suit or probably a variant suit for the Storm Surge. Basically I need a battery of guns to sit behind a mountain and fire on a position with calls for fire from a forward observer. The gravity well is contested so no orbital bombardments.

Broadsides would be the Battlesuit equivalent of artillery.
Crisis with AFP maybe but until our last codex it was still an experimental weapon available only to the Commander. It also isn't exactly long range (same range as a Burst Cannon).

Our vehicles are more battletanks than artillery obviously, but Smart Missile Systems kinda do what anti-infantry artillery does (long-mid range, cover ignoring, no need of line of sight).

All in all, artillery isn't exactly the way T'au fight. If they want to bombard an area without being close they are more likely to use their flyer. What T'au do though is either drowning the enemy in Pulse Fire and taking out key targets with direkt long range high damage shooting like with Railguns etc.

But yeah what you are looking for would be either the Broadside or our big suits or simply some Pathfinder calling the targets for the aircaste pilots.

Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jun 23 2017 10:28

Working on a large scale battle story involving multiple divisions and so forth. On the small scale we fight our battle on, cadre vs similar sized battles they do not need it, direct fire works fine. On a larger scale artillery is required, especially in mountainous terrain where either walkers cant get up the mountain or simply block the view. Entrenched infantry is hard to move without indirect arcing broad explosive fire especially when they are sending it back at you from positions out of sight behind the lines. And yes counter battery fire is a thing.

Ill use a storm surge with a new different weapon system. I want to hold off on the Tau'nar Supremecy Suit for some bigger scale action since Krieg has both a Dragoon division in Gorgons with back up and a Heavy Tank detachment present as well.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 23 2017 10:48

Fokke wrote:Working on a large scale battle story involving multiple divisions and so forth. On the small scale we fight our battle on, cadre vs similar sized battles they do not need it, direct fire works fine. On a larger scale artillery is required, especially in mountainous terrain where either walkers cant get up the mountain or simply block the view. Entrenched infantry is hard to move without indirect arcing broad explosive fire especially when they are sending it back at you from positions out of sight behind the lines. And yes counter battery fire is a thing.

Ill use a storm surge with a new different weapon system. I want to hold off on the Tau'nar Supremecy Suit for some bigger scale action since Krieg has both a Dragoon division in Gorgons with back up and a Heavy Tank detachment present as well.

As said, Broadsides is what you are looking for then. High Yield Missile Pod + Smart Missile System combination to be exact.
Or simply Crisis drops.
Or flyer bombarding.

T'au usually don't engage in attricious warfare. If the enemy can bunker up in an area that's not of strategic importance they'll leave and fight somewhere else. If it's an important area they drop in and strike hard with a combination of Crisis and Markerlights or Missilesides and Markerlights.

TheAnarchitect
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Jun 23 2017 11:09

I think seeker missiles and destroyer missiles are what you are looking for. They're basically smaller cruise missiles. I would imagine that larger scale Tau artillery would take a similar form, but I think canonically if they need more damage than a seeker missile provides, they just add more seeker missiles to the salvo until the desired level of destruction is achieved.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 23 2017 11:20

Yeah Seeker Missiles work as well. Oh and look at that, Broadsides can carry a Seeker Missile each as well! :D
And so do all the Vehicles (which can have Smart Missile Systems as well). There you go, just as I said. Broadsides and Smart Missile Systems. :D

Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jun 23 2017 12:11

You will understand why seekers wont work when I get around to posting it. A seeker would work for a single target or building, but not for mass bombardment and suppression, especially when you have counter battery fire coming in from the other side. There's a reason we still have artillery today despite having cruise missiles and MRLSs. I have some ideas to advance the artillery shells more than simple dumb rounds.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 23 2017 12:16

Dunno what you want. I told you what units T'au have available for such situations and even told you that T'au usually don't fight those kind of fights unless they have to. ^^

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jun 24 2017 04:49

As others have already pointed out, strictly speaking the Tau generally don't use artillery in the conventional sense that we would understand it. Modern Tau warfare is all about precision strikes, and their precision guidance technology has largely evolved to the point where they can achieve similar results to an artillery strike with a number of precision weapons - if they need to bring down a fortress, for example, they won't shell it with artillery, they'll cripple it with precision missile strikes on each key strong-point on it. Pulse fire can generally be directed with enough accuracy to neutralise entrenched infantry by simply sniping them out of cover. For other situations that require indirect bombardment, including at the operational level that your story would appear to be focusing on, the Tau generally use airstrikes instead.

However, if you are insistent on working in a Tau ground-based artillery platform, consider using the Stingray. The Stingray is one of a number of old Tau heavy vehicles from their original army list in Epic, released shortly after the Tau's debut in 2001. The Stingray is a close relative of the Skyray that many will be more familiar with, but is intended for long-range bombardment missions (being designed shortly after the Damocles Gulf Crusade to counter massed attacks from both Orks and the Imperial Guard) and can be armed with a number of Submunition Missiles, which are large long-range guided missiles fitted with cluster warheads carrying lots and lots of independently guided precision munitions - imagine taking a ton of Smart Missile System missiles and loading them onto a full-scale cruise missile and you'd get a rough idea of what they're like (or, alternatively, an ICM warhead with rocket-propelled self-guiding submunitions).

For something bigger, there's also the Scorpionfish, a Tau superheavy grav-tank built from a dropship chassis (but only able to hover, as the added armour and weaponry make it too heavy for flight) and loaded with an entire arsenal of long-range missile weapons, including the aforementioned Submunition Missiles.

Would you be able to share more information on the situation you are writing about? You might be able to get more help by providing more context.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jun 24 2017 07:48

Because I read some Forgeworld leaks I just remembered there is one more option: the TX7 Heavy Bombardment Hammerhead Gunship. It's basically a HYMP/SMS Broadside just as Hammerhead for ~80p more (so in game terms: less armor, more toughness and wounds, better accuracy, more mobile but no Drone Support).

Return to “Library”