Naming XV8s in 8th Edition

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Naming XV8s in 8th Edition

Post#1 » Jul 10 2017 12:45

Many of the old, classic XV8 configurations- the Fireknife, Helios, etc- are dead now, replaced by new streamlined alternatives. New options seem to be:

XV8s:
- 3 Plasma Rifles
- 3 Cyclic Ion Blasters

Commanders:
- 3 Missile Pods + Advanced Targeting System
- 3 Cyclic Ion Blasters + Advanced Targeting System
- 4 Fusion Blasters

Anything with a bunch of Plasma Rifles can still be called a "Burning Eye" I guess, while likewise a bunch of Missile Pods can be termed a "Deathrain" still. How about Cyclic Ion Blasters? What should a model holding 3-4 of them be called?

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Naming XV8s in 8th Edition

Post#2 » Jul 10 2017 02:42

For configurations consisting of only one type of weapon, I think it's fair to say that this post is still relevant.

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?t=20739

However! I think we really need a new moniker for ion weapons, and I also feel that a variant with four of a single weapon deserves its own new name, in line with what has already been established, of course.

Edit: I am totally up for calling a four burst cannon suit a Maelstrom.
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Jul 10 2017 04:53

space pope II wrote:For configurations consisting of only one type of weapon, I think it's fair to say that this post is still relevant.

http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?t=20739

However! I think we really need a new moniker for ion weapons, and I also feel that a variant with four of a single weapon deserves its own new name, in line with what has already been established, of course.

Edit: I am totally up for calling a four burst cannon suit a Maelstrom.

Rules for 1, 2, and 3 guns are there. For example, I'm calling the 3xMP+ATS Commander a Deathrain-X. Likewise, the 3xPR would be the Burning Eye-X. For 4x Fusion Blasters... Sunforge-DD? Or maybe Sunforge-D88? I'm not sure about "Maelstrom" though, since that's a whirlpool while the other words ("storm" and "cloudburst") imply rainfall.

Names for 1/2/All weapons:

Airbursting Fragmentation Projector: Hail / Torrent / Torrent-X / 2
Cyclic Ion Blaster: Ion / Aurora / Aurora-X / 3
Flamer: Soul / Heatwave / Heatwave-X / 4
Burst Cannon: Storm / Cloudburst / Cloudburst-X / 5
Plasma Rifle: Knife / Burning Eye / Burning Eye-X / 6
Missile Pod: Fire / Deathrain / Deathrain-X / 7
Fusion Blaster: Forge / Sunforge / Sunforge-X / 8

With Ion Weapons though, I like "Ion" for single mounts (Ionknife, Ionstorm, etc.), but for double? Ion weapons have high rate of fire, decent range, moderate AP, and can overheat. We'd need something that implies range, sharpness, or maybe heat?

Thoughts:
-Firelance
-Accelerator
Last edited by Arka0415 on Jul 10 2017 09:25, edited 2 times in total.

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Jul 10 2017 05:40

Okay, bear with me here, but I think I've found a pattern.

Plasma is obviously fire. Edit: Never mind the plasma and missile bits. I always end up mixing them up. Still up for calling 4 plasma a Lancer.

Burstcannon is storm, which to me equals wind. (Typhoon?) I think I prefer cyclone.
AFP is hail, which is water.
(4 AFP could be Maelstrom?)
Which leaves earth. Now to me, Ion seems like it would suit earth, and I can't help but think of razor sharp rocks, magma, etc, which suits the criteria you've listed very well.

Then we have Fusion, which I think is all about light, so maybe Hyperion for 4 Fusion Blasters? Hyperion is the Titan of light if I'm not mistaken. Edit: Corona is awesome!

Missile Pod is knife, and I like the idea of upping the size of the weapon the configuration is named after to go with all the extra missiles, so Lancer sounds good to me.

Finally we have Flamers which have the moniker, soul. To me this brings images of purifying flame, cleansing, etc etc. The problem is anything along those lines sounds very much like it belongs with the Imperium. Not sure about Wildfire.
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

X-FuryEagle-X
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Jul 10 2017 06:25

The problem as I see it with some of the suggestions above is that now that we can take 4 weapons on a Commander and 3 weapons on a standard crisis suit, which can all be different, the sheer number of permutations available becomes huge. If you try to name them all, or even just the main ones, then you're going to wind up with a lot more names that we already have. And as some of you have already said, it was possible to get them confused even before now. So, add in another 20-30 names and see how confusing it gets.

I do like Arka's idea of just adding "-X" to denote an ATS. I really think that any expanded naming convention needs to simplify things and make them intuitive. This is a good example, with the ATS just adding "-X" or some other word, I could say a Deathrain-X Crisis and most people would instantly understand that is 2 x MP + ATS. If I start calling it a Typhoon or something the sheer number of options will get out of control.

My suggestion for 4 x same weapon is to add either a prefix word, or a suffix addition as above. So where the old school Sunforge used to be 2 x FB, or Burning Eye was 2 x PR, we could now go with something like "Tempest" to describe any 4 x same gun combo. Eg Tempest Sunforge or Tempest Deathrain etc. It keeps the convention much simpler.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Jul 10 2017 09:20

X-FuryEagle-X wrote:The problem as I see it with some of the suggestions above is that now that we can take 4 weapons on a Commander and 3 weapons on a standard crisis suit, which can all be different, the sheer number of permutations available becomes huge. If you try to name them all, or even just the main ones, then you're going to wind up with a lot more names that we already have. And as some of you have already said, it was possible to get them confused even before now. So, add in another 20-30 names and see how confusing it gets.

I do like Arka's idea of just adding "-X" to denote an ATS. I really think that any expanded naming convention needs to simplify things and make them intuitive. This is a good example, with the ATS just adding "-X" or some other word, I could say a Deathrain-X Crisis and most people would instantly understand that is 2 x MP + ATS. If I start calling it a Typhoon or something the sheer number of options will get out of control.

My suggestion for 4 x same weapon is to add either a prefix word, or a suffix addition as above. So where the old school Sunforge used to be 2 x FB, or Burning Eye was 2 x PR, we could now go with something like "Tempest" to describe any 4 x same gun combo. Eg Tempest Sunforge or Tempest Deathrain etc. It keeps the convention much simpler.

These suggestions are just for fluff and personal listbuilding- I doubt these names will actually "catch on" in the community, since that's not for me to decide. We wouldn't actually make names for each permuntation- rather, one "keyword" for multi-weapon builds, and a name for the dual weapon variant. Adding a number or word makes sense though, we probably shouldn't make up for the 3- and 4-weapon builds.

The support systems can easily be just the acronym. Deathrain VT, or Aurora ATS.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jul 10 2017 11:14

I don't think there is a 'correct' answer, it is therefore up to everyone's personal decision. But with the new loadout options in 8th, below are the denotations I will be using.

Each weapon represents an 'element' if you will:
    AFP=Wind
    BC=Water
    CIB=Matter
    Flamer=Soul/Ethereal
    FB=Earth
    MP=Fire
    Plasma=Metal

Then I have different names for loadouts depending on if its a single system (1 syllable), 2 of the same + another weapon (2 syllable), 2 of the same + support system (named), or 3 of the same (named). Then if it's 4 (commander only) I add a -C on the end

AFP: Hail/Thunder/Thunderstrike/Tempest/Tempest-C
    BC: Storm/Deluge/Cloudburst/Torrent/Torrent-C
    CIB: Ion/Atom/Aurora/Supercollider/Supercollider-C
    Flamer: Soul/Cleansing/Heatwave/Suppression/Suppression-C
    FB: Forge/Furnace/Sunforge/Incinerator/Incinerator-C
    MP: Fire/Blazing/Deathrain/Meteor/Meteor-C
    Plasma: Knife/Saber/Burning Eye/Lance/Lance-C

Notes* (ing) words can be shortened for proper English, Ion is technically 2 syl.

Then support systems are designated by 2 letters:
    ATS: -TS
    CDS: -CF
    Drone: -DC
    EWO: -EW
    Multi: -MT
    Shield: -SG
    Stim: -SI
    Target: -TL
    Velocity: -VT

Therefore, common examples would be:
    3xCIB XV8: Supercollider