How is A sept founded how long does it take.

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Knives
Shas'Saal

How is A sept founded how long does it take.

Post#1 » Aug 07 2017 11:45

How is a sept founded. From locating a sector. To planet fall colony structure to trade etc.

Would any lore or books cover this?

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: How is A sept founded how long does it take.

Post#2 » Aug 08 2017 12:33

In the few canonical examples we have it seems that they generally take a long time to form and it's not necessarily a given that every colony will become a Sept. Colonies go through phases that can take centuries of investment on behalf of neighboring systems, slowly growing before they achieve 'Sept' status.

The exception to this is the Third Sphere systems which seem to be conquered and quickly accelerated to Septs.

In my own conclusions there is, like with so much of Tau fluff, not a set way of doing things as we get such a variety of what GW eventually considers canon. Do we have FTL? Maybe... depends on if you like FW or GW fluff. Is Tau blood red? Depends on the novel. At the end of the day it's likely not going to change and so you should just take your canonical queues from the fluff you agree with and the 'group' of Tau enthusiasts you jive with.

Good luck!
~Good Hunting

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Aug 08 2017 12:33

I'm pretty sure that Septs are distinguised from colonies by population- once a colony reaches a certain size, it could become a full-blown Sept. I'm not sure if colonies are declared Septs by the Tau Empire, or if they apply for Sept status and are granted it, but you get the idea.

Anyway, there are two way that colonies can grow, either in the Tau Empire or in the real world. Colonists have reason to go to the colony (pull factors) and reasons to leave home (push factors). The main push factors are religious/ethnic persecution, poverty, and war/unrest. Pull factors include access to resources, new opportunities, and strategic value of the colony. Given that the Tau Empire is stable and lacks conventional (human) institutions like class and religion, we can assume that pull factors are more important.

It's likely that Tau are drawn to new colonies to take part in the exploitation of natural resources, or the fortification of the colony as a strategic asset. If a colony is rich in natural resources and has strategic value, the colony would likely grow very quickly as mines and factories are built, cities are established, and large numbers of Fire Caste cadres are raised/stationed there. Conversely, planets with scarce/specialized resources may never become full-fledged Septs due to having low populations concentrated in small parts of the planet.

The First Sphere expansion lasted about 1400 years, and during this period the seven or eight Septs were established. Assuming their development was staggered, we can assume that it took only a couple of centuries or fewer for them to reach full Sept status. However, it's likely that many First Sphere developments remain colonies even in the present era.

Calmsword
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 08 2017 12:56

I largely agree with Arka0415, but I disagree that population has something to do with it as there seems to be such a variety of different Septs. Instead, I'd say that a Sept is more or less 'declared' after it has shown the necessary, unique, requirements to be called one just like a Trial by Fire is unique to every individual Shas that undergoes such a test.

Which is one of the reasons I feel like GW doesn't understand their own canon when they mention the '4th Sphere' was lost in the warp. A Sphere of Expansion is an age, not a physical collection of ships or material.
~Good Hunting

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 08 2017 01:00

Calmsword wrote:I largely agree with Arka0415, but I disagree that population has something to do with it as there seems to be such a variety of different Septs. Instead, I'd say that a Sept is more or less 'declared' after it has shown the necessary, unique, requirements to be called one just like a Trial by Fire is unique to every individual Shas that undergoes such a test.

The lore I've read seems to be pretty vague on the subject, but colonies tend to be described as underpopulated and specialized, maybe mining worlds or outposts. Septs, on the other hand, tend to be described as populous and highly-developed. The actual "qualification" of becoming a Sept might not be population, but at least from the way Septs are described I'd say population is a big part of it.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#6 » Aug 08 2017 01:36

I can't think of any official background off the top of my head that covers the process in any detail, so it's an open field for you to explore.

To start with however, you would first need to decide how you define a 'Sept'. Some people, including a few GW writers, consider Septs as individual star-systems or even planets. Others however, including myself, instead see them as large semi-autonomous territories covering multiple star-systems and celestial features within a region of space, similar to Soviet SSRs or US states but on an interstellar scale.

Which version you go with will influence the exact specifics, but either way it's a very long process. Any Spet outside of T'au will have begun life as a colony. There are generally two classes of Tau colony worlds, First Phase colonies with a population larger than 100,000 inhabitants and considerable infrastructure and Second Phase colonies with a population of between 10 and 10,000 individuals and more limited settlement (often little more than a few automated mining stations/refineries/farm complexes/other resource producing infrastructure, the few personnel required to oversee them and a Firewarrior garrison for security). These terms are not to be confused with the Spheres of Expansion, which are an independent categorisation.

In theory there is nothing stopping either class of colony from becoming a Sept, but First Phase colonies would generally have a better chance given their larger population and greater infrastructure development. Once a colony reaches a suitable level of population size and infrastructure development, and begins to take steps towards setting up colonies of its own, it can start to be considered as a potential new Sept (Knightofthewr's Fo'tan, first created for the Into Silence project, is a good example of a Tau territory at this state of development).

The second element of being a Sept is cultural development. Much like the aforementioned SSRs and states, each Sept generally has its own cultural identity, with a distinct set of important history and personal idiosyncrasies - Dal'yth is a cosmopolitan melting-pot, Kel'shan has a reputation for being suspicious of outsiders, Bork'an and Fal'shia are both considered scientific powerhouses and so on. It stands to reason that developing such a cultural identity would be an important factor in becoming a Sept.

Both of these elements, especially the second one, take a very long time to come to fruition - the rapid development of numerous Third Sphere Septs is likely an exception caused from extensive investment from prominent Septs (similar to the rapid buildup that led to Alaska becoming a state in the 1950s).
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Aug 08 2017 01:52

The differentiation of sept's probably came from practicality at first, as each sept is semi-independent self governing body, the more local a government is, the more efficient it is. But as population diversity(be it genetic or cultural) goes, if you have a big diverse group, a subgroup that separates from the bigger whole and goes on to populate other planets is more likely than not gonna be less diverse than the group they left off. And from the other end, each sept is a local group, an a local event would more likely affect only the local group. So different traits of sept's and populations that live in those septs will closely correlate, but otherwise, a sept is a government with all it's hierarchy more than anything else.

Return to “Library”