Ethereal enslaver theory

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas'Saal

Ethereal enslaver theory

Post#1 » Aug 17 2017 04:02

Ok this is a strange and interesting theory.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY0Ittengw8

Its a video by a 40k youtuber putting forth an interesting but out there theory that suggests that ethereals are a evolved from the enslavers. I don't think its true, but its an interesting story none the less.

Beyond that, do any of you have a interesting or creative tau origin theory? Even if you don't think its true, i kinda like hearing ideas. Its unlikely GW will ever provide anything definitive anyway.
Commander wiseblade

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Re: Ethereal enslaver theory

Post#2 » Aug 17 2017 05:03

I've always thought that the ethereals came about from the influence of a certain chaos god, this led the tau to become a small( compared to the size of the imperium) but hard to remove thorn in the emperor's holy backside. The tau contain synthetic proteins that indicate biological meddling, the ethereals also excrete a "mind control" pheromone that affects normal tau. However, it's unlikely that this will ever be canon. What if chaos created the ethereals to enslave the tau, but then the ethereals discovers the greater good and decided too unite the tau instead.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 17 2017 06:17

The emperor wasn't afraid of gentic manipulation. Perhaps the tau.

Does it mention what age of technology the ethereals came? Maybe post ww2 ish age.

Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 17 2017 06:31

Etherials come sometime after m34.

Also enslavers are pre chaos gods. Mind the warp has creatures unrelated to chaos in it. In m41 chaos encompases MOST of the warp, but not all of it. In the past, pre fall of the eldar and the age of strife, the warp was a lot more stable and many creatures lived there.
Commander wiseblade

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Aug 17 2017 06:36

I doubt the Enslavers would have anything to do with the Ethereals - they're just not the Enslavers' style (the Enslaver MO typically being to latch onto psychic creatures and parasitically mutate them into a living warp portal for more Enslavers to come through and restart the process in a chain reaction).

If you're wanting Ethereal theories, for many years now mine has been that they're Tau from the future. The idea goes somewhat like this:

The Tau eventually end up taking over the galaxy, and turn out to be just as benevolent as advertised (this world is something I have plans to explore at a later date, in something that's essentially going to be the spiritual antithesis of Rise of the Tau). At this point in the future, the Enclaves, through their relaxed social restrictions, have ended up giving rise to a new kind of Tau through thousands of successive generations - one that combines traits from all of the Castes to various degrees, creating a charismatic philosopher-scholar. In time, these Tau will eventually constitute a sizeable portion of the Enclaves' descendants, but in the mean time a small contingent of them embark on one of the most ambitious Tau technology projects yet - a starship that can travel through time as well as space. The immense knowledge they have attained through years of study is assumed to prove useful on the vessel's maiden voyage into the past.

However, at some point into its first time-jump, a major problem occurs when the ship runs into the warp storms surrounding T'au during the distant past. The pre-spaceflight Tau had no knowledge of the warp, and thus no way of knowing what the warp storms were, which in turn means that no historical records of them exist amongst the Tau (and any Imperial records that might have documented them are lost to time and never encountered by the Tau). Consequently, the ship runs straight into them, is badly damaged by the raging empyrean forces and suffers critical navigation failure. The crew abandon the ship in its escape pods, leaving it to crash on T'au's innermost moon (one component that survives relatively intact is the warp-drive that forms a part of the time machine).

It is night on T'au when the escape pods reach it, leaving flickering lights in the sky as they pass through the atmosphere before landing in the mountains. The survivors emerge and spend the next few Rotaa regrouping, assessing the situation and planning. Despite their best attempts at concealment, they are occasionally half-glimpsed by the ancient Tau as they make their way through the mountains.

It quickly dawns on the survivors that they are now stranded in the middle of the Mont'au, and as the date of Fio'taun's historic resolution approaches, the philosopher-scholar Tau know what they must do. Two volunteers of their kind approach the famous city, each making their way towards one of the opposing sides. When they reach the battle, they use their intimate knowledge of history and a few parlour tricks from their advanced technology to impress the ancient Tau, and pass themselves off as superhuman (super-Tau?). The ancients would not listen to talks of peace and unity from other mundane Tau, but these supposedly supernatural beings are an entirely different story, and a truce is finally negotiated. The volunteers identify themselves as Ethereals.

Taking their cue, the rest of the philosopher-scholar survivors make their presence known, and the rest is history. The Ethereals spend the rest of their days carefully guiding Tau civilisation with knowledge thousands of years in advance of their contemporaries (the Tau's rapid technological growth is essentially them very subtly giving radio to the romans and the offer to join the Tau'va that gets made to other species is a kind of large-scale way of saying "Come with me if you want to live"), such that it will inevitably reach the exact same point at which they first departed and create a stable time loop.

So the Tau are uplifted and the Ethereals were created, but the ones that did it were... the Tau.

A similar concept was created much later independently by Tael, who wrote about it here.

Does it mention what age of technology the ethereals came? Maybe post ww2 ish age.

The Ethereals arrived at the height of the Mont'au. While no explicit mention of technological development is made, it is known that the Tau had primitive guns at the start of it, which would put them at at a technological stage at least equivalent to the late Middle Ages. It's also known that the Tau didn't begin to explore space until after the Ethereals arrived and the Mont'au ended.

Personally I've always seen the Mont'au as beginning at a technological development point roughly equivalent to the Thirty Years' War and ending at technological development point roughly equivalent to the First World War.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 17 2017 11:18

Perhaps a mad scientist/ apothecary/ magister / shaman. Type person.

Maybe they just found weed.

Kiran Tau
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 18 2017 04:40

From what i remember, the book Xenology from the black library, show some specimen captured by the inquisition. In here is there an Ethereal and they have a picture of the Ethereals DNA strain, this shows that it has a normal double helix as humans, but somewhere in the chain is there a quadrahelix, or atleast something that definitely does not look like the other DNA. This resembles something that the Eldar has, so it could indicate that the Eldar has made genetically mutated Tau that can control the other Tau but still contain consciousness.
Shas'el Au'taal Elan'B (Strong Shepherd)

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 18 2017 10:04

My recent theory is that the Interex who were not destroyed in M31 fled into a pocket of warp space not inhabited by chaos or maybe even into a parallel dimension. The Interex, who were close to the Eldar and collected/understood many ancient artifacts that no one else in the entire galaxy understood, genetically manipulated Ethereals using Eldar tech (the crystals in their heads are noted as being very similar to Eldar tech) to make them able to directly connect to the ethereals from their pocket of warp space with a secure connection.

It's even possible that the Interex genetically engineered the original T'au as a race that was not particularly susceptible to the influences of the warp. Interex probably knew the most about other species of any race of M31. Their empire consisted of hundreds of races and they would have been able to see what genetic variations were least influenced by the warp. (T'au Empire is also extremely inclusive btw...very significant parallel here). Engineering the pheromone connection between T'au would allow for control without the possibility of warp influence.

On Arthas Moloch, the Bloodthirsters made immediate B-lines for the Ethereals in Farsight's (my ;) ) forces, killing them first before moving on to fight anything else. This suggests some sort of connection to the warp.

Recap:
M30ish - Interex create the T'au race to fight Kaos (not a misspelling...that's how the Interex do it)
M31 - Imperium destroys Interex civilization before they can mature the T'au enough to have them join the fight
M31 - Surviving Interex flee into warp space
Pre M35 - T'au dark ages Mont'au "The Terror"
M36 - Interex create ethereals as a way to continue their evolution of the T'au - Mont'au ends.
M41 - T'au are a full fledged empire with many many many similarities to the Interex

Interex use the crystals as a means of secure comms to the Ethereals who in turn use the pheromones to influence and unite the rest of the T'au.

Interex>Ethereals>T'au

Interex are the secret benevolent overlords of the T'au Empire...
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 18 2017 10:20

- Xenology: flawed human source and context. He wanted to prove what he thought, and he did not.

- Study of Farsight: Tau can function without the Ethereal with leadership and purpose. Farsight continues to be him self, so no mind control. Many defectors to Farsight show others are also not bound.

- Chaos could not "corrupt" a captured ethereal. So likely not Chaos controlled.

- Based on tech, culture, and history. Old ones, Eldar, and organic necrons are the best "fathers" for the Tau. If the Tau did not evolve on their own.

Cannon: Talking to an ethereal is like talking to the pope and the president as if it was your religion, your political group, and the leader was charismatic attractive.

They also have different leadership styles and goals. Aun'Va VS Aun'shi. So no hive mind.

Organics: Areas people try to infer from.

Olfactory Chasm. Evidence of densely-massed subdermal receptor neurons; unexpected size and complexity of cilia. Conclusion: subject's scent-detection vastly superior. NB: Ethereal Caste displays unknown "diamond" organ.

Skull Detail: Unknown "diamond-organ" in the forehead of the Tau Ethereal. Ridged carapace contains ultradense chemo/hormonal fluids (overpowering scent). Rear ganglia connects to cerebral lobe. Polyp-structures vaguely reminiscent of "pheromone" glands amongst Terran invertebrates (cf. silk worm). (Speculation: Perhaps a pheromonal communication system? The sensitivity of Tau olfactory senses would certainly support a process of airborne chemical "signifiers." Perhaps the Ethereal asserts a measure of control over lesser castes? Results are inconclusive, and the purpose of this organ remains unknown.)

Creation: This is very open to "ideas". This caste came out of no where, but also could have always been there as a unknown strain of Tau.

Ethereals are open to some "ideas" on purpose and creation. But lack of research makes some of the versions people come up with seem without base.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 18 2017 11:52

Vay wrote:- Xenology: flawed human source and context. He wanted to prove what he thought, and he did not.

Vay, is this a response to me or to the OP video?

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Aug 18 2017 01:20

To the topic. It comes up a bit, a lot of good articles on it in our archives. Everyone likes to come up with Grimdark versions of the myths, but often without research.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Aug 18 2017 04:40

CDR_Farsight wrote:My recent theory is that the Interex who were not destroyed in M31 fled into a pocket of warp space not inhabited by chaos or maybe even into a parallel dimension. The Interex, who were close to the Eldar and collected/understood many ancient artifacts that no one else in the entire galaxy understood, genetically manipulated Ethereals using Eldar tech (the crystals in their heads are noted as being very similar to Eldar tech) to make them able to directly connect to the ethereals from their pocket of warp space with a secure connection.

It's even possible that the Interex genetically engineered the original T'au as a race that was not particularly susceptible to the influences of the warp. Interex probably knew the most about other species of any race of M31. Their empire consisted of hundreds of races and they would have been able to see what genetic variations were least influenced by the warp. (T'au Empire is also extremely inclusive btw...very significant parallel here). Engineering the pheromone connection between T'au would allow for control without the possibility of warp influence.

On Arthas Moloch, the Bloodthirsters made immediate B-lines for the Ethereals in Farsight's (my ;) ) forces, killing them first before moving on to fight anything else. This suggests some sort of connection to the warp.

Recap:
M30ish - Interex create the T'au race to fight Kaos (not a misspelling...that's how the Interex do it)
M31 - Imperium destroys Interex civilization before they can mature the T'au enough to have them join the fight
M31 - Surviving Interex flee into warp space
Pre M35 - T'au dark ages Mont'au "The Terror"
M36 - Interex create ethereals as a way to continue their evolution of the T'au - Mont'au ends.
M41 - T'au are a full fledged empire with many many many similarities to the Interex

Interex use the crystals as a means of secure comms to the Ethereals who in turn use the pheromones to influence and unite the rest of the T'au.

Interex>Ethereals>T'au

Interex are the secret benevolent overlords of the T'au Empire...

My favorate theory. I have heard it before and it seems very plausible.
Commander wiseblade

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Aug 19 2017 08:42

I just made most of that up! If there is someone else out there with a similar theory I'd love to get together with them over a beer and throw some ideas off of each other!

I have quite a bit more background fluff that I've developed both as prologues and epilogues all revolving around the T'au.

Return to “Library”