What are those stories the community does??

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

What are those stories the community does??

Post#1 » Sep 22 2017 12:56

I read through the story threads regarding the orbital, and then looked at the forum guidlines and resources relating to ATT. I didn't find anything about those invasion stories this place seems to do every year. First, what are they. Second, how do I join in?? Sorry if this is a little bit of a weird question, or one I should of asked ages ago. But it's really bugging me right now. What in the name of the Tau'va are these forum events???
Star Trek has returned. Imagine enterprise times Movie 5. Then times by cancer. That's how bad this series is.

Agent00abe
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: What are those stories the community does??

Post#2 » Sep 22 2017 06:13

April Fool's Day ;)

And I think we stopped doing those.
Does this Railgun make me look fat?

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Sep 22 2017 04:40

Agent00abe wrote:April Fool's Day ;)

And I think we stopped doing those.

"Excuse me there son, but where the tarnation were you this last April 1st 2017?! Cuz we all were having ourselves a great shindig on the A.T.T. Oribital!" -- Robute the Squat a.k.a. Bob the Dwarf.

The Annual A.T.T. Orbital April Fool's Day Event is probably one of the most fun things this forum does! And if you're free for about three days between March 31st and April 2nd every year it's worth getting in on. The April Fool's Day Event is basically a community wide story telling that takes place in-real-time. There is usually a take over of the Orbital by some nefarious WH40k enemy, usually announced by the change in the webisite's banner and graphics. One year it was the Imperial Guard, another year it was the Necrons, the next year a Imperial Free Captain who had "purchased" the A.T.T. Orbital.

If it seemed like last year we didn't have one, it was because we had switched to the new graphics for the website, and so we didn't the same "visuals" - with no changing graphics for the event. Also, last year the "invasion" was of the planet baround which the fictional A.T.T. Orbital is stationed. The Eldar learned their lesson in 2017 not to mess with the Tau!

Anyone can post during the event, and I highly recommend it to everyone on the Orbital who has the time to particpate.

TauMan
PS If your wondering why it starts on March 31st is because it starts with the first place on Earth that April 1st starts, so were on New Zealand Standard Time (NZST).

PPS If you're wondering about Bob the Dwarf, he and his Cybernetic Security Team have been a guest stars on for the April Fool's Day Event for three years running.

PPPS If you want to know where to find those stories, here's the link to the A.T.T. Library. They're listed at the top of the page under titles like: April Fool's Day 2017.
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Sep 27 2017 11:47

Tauman hit the nail on the head. Ever since 2013 it's been something of a tradition to have a major worldwide roleplaying event on the site every year around April 1st. They traditionally start on April 1st NZ/AU time (so March 31st if you live in America), and continue for around two days or so, though there's usually a short 'prelude phase' on the night before to cue everyone in.

To join in all you really need to do is be on the site during the event. The main story thread will usually be marked out with something along the lines of 'APRIL 1ST - MAIN THREAD' in the title, and once you've found that you just need to start posting as one or more characters. Traditionally the events have the mod team taking on the role of the 'bad guys' trying to take over the orbital, while the members RP Tau characters defending it, but any member is welcome to play a protagonist or antagonist character regardless of rank - it's entirely up to you which side you're on. Likewise, if you want to be a Tau character, you're welcome to write about any kind, from a terrified Por'la civilian to a battle-hardened Shas'O and anything in between, regardless of what rank or caste you are on the forum.

There is something of a loose continuity between the events. The plot of one year's story can often reference a previous year's events (the 2014 event, for example, featured a force of Inquisitors from the Imperium seizing the orbital to investigate the Chaos attack that happened the year before), and several long-time posters have their own special characters that they carry over between events. Don't let that deter you however, everyone is welcome to join in, and the more the merrier.

For reference, a complete list of April 1st event threads are as follows:

- 2013: Embrace Change. "24 hours of Tzeentchian horror, the clock is ticking". The event that started it all. As the 6th edition Tau release, the first new wave of content and models for the Tau since 4th edition, draws closer, the sheer volume of hopeful emotions regarding coming changes opens a warp rift on the orbital. Drawn to the feelings of hope and change, the legions of Tzeentch pour out and lay waste to the Orbital (as well as a contingent of Slaaneshi Noise Marines).

Originally planned to be a simple visual gag, a number of members began to post 'in-character' comments on the main rumours thread discussing the then-upcoming 6th edition codex, and from there the whole thing snowballed into the famous epic fondly regarded by a number of members.

- 2014: The Emperor Calls (Turn Not Away, Lest Ye Be Judged!). In the aftermath of the epic battle in Embrace Change, Imperial servants of the Inqusition arrive and place the orbital on lockdown while they investigate for signs of heresy (and the Arch-Magos accompanying them secretly ransacks the station for advanced technology). But the Tau aren't so keen on the idea of being pruged...

Following on from the success of 2013's event, the mod team put together a second one, notable for its plotline which was created almost entirely on-the-fly.

- 2015: A Miniature Vesa Taps Your Hoof. After three years of careful plotting, an ancient conspiracy comes to fruition and the Necrons take over the orbital by subverting all advanced technology onboard. Without the aid of their high-tech battlesuits and wargear, the Tau defenders will have to triumph using their wits alone...

The third April 1st event, this time with a more centrally driven plotline (and a notable low-tech vs high tech theme).

- 2016: Artemis Trellium's Tradestop. The ATT defenders have fought off Daemonic hordes, Imperial fanatics and Necrontyr monstrosities, but now they must face... salesmen? Using dubious legal pretences, a profiteering Rouge Trader arrives and announces he has purchased the ATT orbital wholesale. As the station is converted into a trading platform, the Tau are unsure of how to react, but some suspect that Artemis Trellium may not be as legitimate as he seems...

The last April 1st event on the old forum.

- 2017: The Holographic Principle. Having secretly monitored the ATT Tau since Embrace Change, an alliance of Craftworld Eldar makes an attack on the planet the station orbits, seeking to destroy it from below in order to safeguard their plans for the future. But the ATT Tau have other ideas...

The first April 1st event after the forum reboot. Unfortunately an unexpected repercussion from the changeover was that the new forum architecture is much harder to modify (especially with a limited timeframe), making the traditional RP event too difficult to manage. Thus, this event featured more emphasis on collective storytelling instead of directly roleplaying characters. An in-universe justification of sorts was an enemy attacking the planet beneath the orbital rather than the orbital itself.

- 2018: coming soon. If you're interested, get the word out and make your support known. The more encouragement us mods get, the better. :)

There's also a few smaller supplementary threads around some of the later events, but they're too buried among the subforums for me to find them all.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Sep 28 2017 12:37

That'd be good. There should be one with the Orks invading. That would be downright chaotic!!!
Star Trek has returned. Imagine enterprise times Movie 5. Then times by cancer. That's how bad this series is.

Harkus959
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Oct 19 2017 08:07

I was reading "A miniature vesa taps your hoof" this afternoon and wondering if it was still active. I was very disappointed to see the post date at the end of the thread, but I'm looking forward to April now :D

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Oct 19 2017 08:47

They're always on March 31st - April 2nd or thereabouts. So look forward to April 1st 2018 for the next one. :P

TauMan
"Tarnation!"

EDIT: Changed months from May to March. Sorry for the confusion. :fear:
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

Return to “Library”