Are there any examples of Tau Cybernetics?

Discuss Tau background and even your own Cadre fiction here.
seven324
Shas

Are there any examples of Tau Cybernetics?

Post#1 » Nov 20 2017 09:02

I don't recall ever seeing any definite official examples of Tau Cybernetics/Bionics and similar things to that. It's something that i imagine they would make use of, but the only thing that potentially could be an example of Tau Cybernetics (as in, Limb/organ replacement and things like that) that i know of is the eye of this Firewarrior:

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/war ... 0101193334

Is there anything to suggest they actually do make use of them in the lore, or any specific examples?

SinisterSamurai
Kor'La
Kor'La

Re: Are there any examples of Tau Cybernetics?

Post#2 » Nov 20 2017 09:09

They use implants and stuff. It's a key feature of at least two of Farsight's Eight, IIRC.
Mostly just chip-in-the-brain stuff.

Kakapo42
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#3 » Nov 20 2017 09:10

From the original 3rd edition Codex: Tau:

Codex: Tau, pg. 22, 'Army List - HQ - Commander (Tau: Shas'el or Shas'O)' wrote:Tau Commanders are formidable warriors, frequently sporting scars, bionics and disfigurements earned in their career.

Hard-wired support systems are also a kind of cybernetics.

Codex: Tau, pg. 18, 'Wargear of the Tau - Hard-wired Support Systems' wrote:In addition to their battlesuit systems, some Tau have support systems hard-wired in. These systems are cybernetic in nature and are either entirely contained within the battlesuit helmet or are implanted as warrior jewellery and cannot be removed without surgery.

There's also 'Diadetic Nodes', neural implants containing pre-programmed information that can be implanted to instantly impart knowledge to a Tau (a little bit like the "I know kung-fu" scene in The Matrix), which are mentioned in some early Black Library books, though I can't provide specific titles off the top of my head.

So the short answer is yes, there are.
A Shas and a Kor walk into a bar...
Naked Metal

Hawkins
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Nov 20 2017 10:48

One of the heads that comes with the Pathfinder kit has a cybernetic eye.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Nov 21 2017 03:14

Don´t know if this minis count but here is one with the cybernetic eye again
https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/great ... -big-shas/
and one with an cybernetic leg.
https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/great ... der-ghost/

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Nov 21 2017 09:23

Shas'O Ora wrote:Don´t know if this minis count but here is one with the cybernetic eye again

https://wargameexclusive.com/shop/great ... der-ghost/

That's not a cybernetic leg, that's a guy half out of his stealth suit, he's also carrying the back/jetpack.

As for examples in the lore, I'm pretty sure Farsight is noted to have lost most of one of his legs when aliens (skitterlings I think they are calls, sound like the nasty spier things from the awful lost in space film) got inside his suit while he was a bodyguard.

n1md4
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Nov 21 2017 09:37

Funny, I had just the same thought this morning, whilst working on some miniature leg repairs; I thought it would be neat to have a bionic leg. But, looking at the T'au aesthetic, I think it would end up looking normal ... like Luke Skywalker's hand.
This is a sad day for the nobel profession of otter milking -- Knives
Onmyou's Motivation Service

Kunas'Myr
Shas

Post#8 » Nov 21 2017 01:55

Im rather sure that Ole' Farsight has a cybernetic leg. He earnred from his time as a Shas'ui during the Arachen War durning the final battle.

Shas'O Ora
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Nov 23 2017 01:37

That's not a cybernetic leg, that's a guy half out of his stealth suit, he's also carrying the back/jetpack.

I do not think that a battle proven soldier will run around with just one of his "boots" on.

Could be the same colour as the back/jetpack because the cybernetics are replacing the body armour on his thigh.
Furthermore I can not see how the mechanic ankle is thick enough to put one out of flesh inside.

On the picture where he is seen from behin it is a bit more obvious. :)

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Nov 24 2017 09:49

Shas'O Ora wrote:

I do not think that a battle proven soldier will run around with just one of his "boots" on.

Could be the same colour as the back/jetpack because the cybernetics are replacing the body armour on his thigh.
Furthermore I can not see how the mechanic ankle is thick enough to put one out of flesh inside.

On the picture where he is seen from behin it is a bit more obvious. :)

Tau don't wear boots: they have hooves.
Igne vir renovatur integra

Gragagrogog
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#11 » Nov 24 2017 10:09

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:Tau don't wear boots: they have hooves.

Stealthsuits certainly do, but they're probably the single example and it might be debatable if it's a boot or more of a cloth cover with some intelligent cammo. Firewarriors or pathfinders don't and other suits have robotic legs.

Return to “Library”