My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(27/9/11)

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Draaen
Shas

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(15/04/10)

Post#19 » Apr 15 2010 02:47

So as promised a full blown battle report of my close game against the orcs.

My list actually changed this time lol
1 Fire Knife El

3 Bonded Fire Knives
2 Shield Drones

2 Bonded Fire Knives
2 Shield Drones

6 Bonded Stealth Suits

6 Fire Warriors

10 Kroot
1 Krootox

10 Kroot
5 Hounds

10 Kroot
5 Hounds

1 Fusion Blaster Piranha

1 Fusion Blaster Piranha

8 Pathfinders
Warfish

3 Broadsides

1 Rail Head

1 Sniper Drone team

I still see it as a balanced list I usually have a unit or two that are sort of oddballs in a list I make, and I move them around or switch them out to taste for each game, and I think the sniper drones and stealth suits fill that role cause if I were to modify it they'd probably be going home.

His list

8 Nobs with warboss in Trukk and they had a pain boy and power klaws.

1 unit of bikers with 1 nob

3 units of 20 boyz

3 killa kahns

3 zap guns

1 guy with a shock gun or whatever it's called lol.

3 Battle Buggies with tl rocket launchers

3 defkoptas 1 had a klaw.

Before going in this seemed like a perfect match up for me he wasn't too fast for me he wasn't packing too much armour, but enough to allow my railguns to throw around some of their weight and lots of boyz to shoot at so I figured man I got a good opportunity to be able to do damage with all my units.

We played with 4 Objectives and it was pitched battle. The terrain of note was a forest in the middle a ringed hill on my far left in the middle, and a ruin on my right on my side of the field with a bunker across it on his side of the field. These are where all the objectives were put.

I deploy first leaving my kroot stealthsuits and pathfinders to infiltrate. I deploy the three fireknives on the far right behind some rocks. They'll be referred to as the hoplites from now on. The krootox unit of kroot deployed in front of the woods, the Broadsides sat in the middle of the board with good line of sight to about everything. The pathfinders devilfish deployed next to my fire warriors in the ruins, and my sniper dron team deployed next to them, and then in the extreme corner was my hammerhead. My two piranha's were with the hoplites behind the rocks, and in front of the hammerhead. And my commander and the other unit of fire knives are hidden behind the pathfinder's fish.

He throws a unit of boyz on the far left his shock gun battery after that behind a hill so he could barely see over it, and then in front of the hill his killa kahns. In the middle he had a unit of boyz accompanying his guy with the zap gun. His bikers were then in front of his buggies and trukk carrying the nobz, and on the far right of the board he's got his last unit of boyz with his deffkopta's outflanking.

I then get to deploy all my infiltrators which is freaking awesome. kroot are like the skinks of 40k really, I love them so much. Anyways I decide to bunch up and I throw all my kroot to the extreme right flank to try to line the edge and not allow the deffkoptas to roll in, and to help combat the orks in melee as they would be able to get to the orks in the middle or the one's on the right flank. The pathfinders and the stealth suits went into the middle.

So now the stage is set let the game begin.

My turn 1:
I move up my stealth suits, Crisis suits jump out of cover, and the piranha on the left flank moves 13" down the left flank. I unload the hoplites on the killa kahns downing two of them. Everything else that can unloads on the biker's until there is 1 nob left that needs to pass a morale and pinning check. Then I fire on the trukk and get unlucky on cover saves and vehicle damage. I should have made that priority number 1 but live and learn I guess. Stealths jump back, and the crisis suits jump into cover. The Nob biker failed his morale check and so was sent packing.

His turn 1.
His Trukk advances drops his nobz into the ruins and apparently they count as scoring. Everything else moves straight forward except for his zap and shock guns. Well that is until he aims the zap gun at my devilfish and instead of shooting the gun at the tank he shoots himself. the Mekboy assaults and immobilizes the devilfish. Which is unfortunate because the pathfinders were going to be using it to fly to the left flank, now i had no way of getting there. The shock gun nailed some kroot from the krootox unit.

My turn 2:
The Piranha Drops off his drones and moves right in front of the unit of boyz on the left hoping to make them stay really long in the difficult terrain that surrounds them. The fire warriors get out of the devilfish ready to lay some hurting on that pesky mekboy, some of the kroot move up and the right piranha moves up that flank a little. I drop the last Kahn, and I manage to start whittling down his boyz. I managed to get some really unlucky rolls, and he made some really lucky ones.

His turn 2:
He tank shocks the unit of kroot closest to my board edge with his ramming trukk. Naturally the kroot fail, and the buggies get within 6" of the kroot sso that they wil continue to run. His boyz on the right assault the piranha's, and the boyz on the left stay put. He blows up the piranha which takes 4 boys with it, he shoots the stealth suits dropping tow, blasts at the krootox unit some more, and all told a really quite turn execept that he made me lose my one kroot unit.

My turn 3:
I know I need to deal with the Trukk and that unit of Nobz. His boyz unit on the right has been quite content at trying to shoot while in cover so I wasn't worried about them charging my kroot so I stayed put with them. The piranha on the right moved into melta range on the trukk.my kroot fled off the board, and my hammerhead shuffled a bit so as not to potentially give up free hits on the outflankers, and the hoplites started moving towards the forest again worried about the koptas. My turn of shooting saw 1 dead buggy an imobilized trukk, and more dead nobz.

His turn 3:
this is where things go really wrong. He rolls 6's for all of his difficult terrain tests and so moves his guys to get in my face. Then he rolls a 6 for all of his Waagh's So that full unit of 20 boyz I was going to charge when they got out of cover they were now charging my kroot, and the stealth suits in the middle were charged by the remaining nobz. The difficut terrain did slow the boyz on the far left enough that they were still stuck in the ruins, and the boyz in the middle started moving forward to claim the forest. Combat went predictably with my kroot losing but doing damage, and running away at under half strength. Stealth suits died, I think they caused a wound, and the consolidation roll was a 6 so now the nob regiment made it to the centre woods instead of being in the open. His shooting dropped a drone from the hoplites, and killed a drone from the piranha.

My turn 4:
Not all is lost though I can still come back from this I thought. My piranha turbo boosts moving along the back to try to contest on the left. The Hoplites move behind the woods. the piranha drone tried to get in the way of the orc unit and the woods hoping to slow it down for one turn. Pretty much everything unloaded onto the supid nob unit. Ii got to the end and I had all my markerlights 3 broadsides, and 1 wounded nob, a painboy and a warboss. With an instant kill wound you have to give it to the model that has not been wounded and I had been waiting for this if I hit twice he has to save his boss and painboy. I get 3 BS 5 TL railguns, all hit, all wound, so he has one on each and he has three mekboy invul saves to make... and he saves them all. In now an incredibly last ditch attempt my krootox kroot charge the nobz hoping to throw out enough wounds to kill some guys. Well he takes one wound on the nob and saves the rest. My kroot take wounds but hold on. Oh and I managed to reduce that one unit of boyz on my right flank to a single nob.

His turn 4:
The boyz in the middle run into the woods and charge in at the kroot. His boys on the left move into the objective. His Buggies vie for a side shot on the hammerhead. The kroot die, and he now has an incredibly tightly packed formation of boys in the woods. His Deffkoptas came in and were only able to charge my immobilized devilfish. They and the nob destroyed it.

My turn 5:
I move my fire warriors to claim the objective in front of the ruins. My piranha turbo boosted around the backfield some more. The hoplits try making it back to the cirlcle I light up the boys in the woods and unload all my shooting into them. The broadside finally hit with one of his submunitions. They were so scared they ran away under half strength. the nob was picked off, and the deffkoptas were sent packing. The nobs were killed down to the boss.

His turn 5:
I need to stop hoping this guy won't roll high when the's trying to get out of difficult terrain because his boss was able to charge my hoplites and he creamed em. Everything else was running away or shooting ineffectively.

My turn 6:
he has that darn circle objective so well locked up that I can't get my piranha in there so I move it up 12" let off the drones. they both shoot into the boys and the drones assault hoping to live a turn of combat and pull the boyz off of the objective. The railhead in usual fashion fires like a drunkard, and I really don't manage to kill much of anything at all. He killed the drones and moved back on his objective.

His turn 6:
Now we are at a draw, and he kills my hammerhead which was hoping to try to contest or shoot at the boys next turn, and he thought it was going to be a draw until I reminded him that his buggies could in fact move through the ruins and contest the objective. He passed his difficult terrain test and the game came to a close.

So for the Stars of the game
1st Star: the Hoplites, they let out a lot of hurting on a lot of targets.
2nd Star: Pathfinders, 8 of these being untouched for the whole game... wow.
3rd Star: Broadsides, this one was a harder decision but they were a rock in the army.
The Dunce: Freaking Stealth suits. Maybe i just don;t use em right but come on they need to do more for me then what they're doing or they're going to be sent back down to the minors lol.

I learned some interesting things though this game. Since Kroot do not take a difficult terrain test through woods they do not count as though charging through cover. I also wanted to know if anyone could clarify this for me. If I got a krootox who is not in the woods but a lot of his unit is within the woods and readlly close to the nob unit does he get a cover save from my krootox's shots.

I liked the power of the crisis suits they did whatever I needed them to do, and with so much of my army being able to infiltrate I could change any of my plans like how I went heavy on my right flank. Really I eliminated his killa kahns and shock guns which did nothign for the whole game, and if he had to come in on that one flank he would have had nothing to do with his deffkopta's for a turn. I think I will keep this list for a game or two more and then decide what I need to change. I'm going to have to think long and hard on what I am going to do with the stealth suits.

Also Just cause you model a unit to look like people who know what the pointy end of the spear is used for doesn't make them better fighters. Yep they all die. What was really funny about that was that it was like a 1st edition ork boss so he was really small compared to my crisis suits who looked ready for a scrap.
All empires fall you just have to know where to push

jazz901
Shas

Post#20 » Apr 28 2010 07:58

wow these are some really good battle reports keep it up :smile:
ps. with the stealth suits you need to keep at the very very extreme of their range

CaptainTrips01
Vespid

Post#21 » Apr 29 2010 12:34

Your battle reports are incredible. Very well done, and I'd like to see more from you. Your painting looks great as well, especially that Piranha. (Oh wow, thats the first time I've ever spelled that correctly on my first try :D ) The converted Daemon Prince is awesome as well.
My Little Shas'la, My Little Shas'la...

Draaen
Shas

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(8/05/10)

Post#22 » May 08 2010 08:41

So I just got back from a tournament held at my local game store today, and it was a blast. I got to play all three games and I felt for the most part I controlled the pace of the games. Anyways here was my list.

Shas'el - Fire Knife with target lock and blacksun filter
2 shield drones

3 X Fire Knives Bonded (The Hoplites)
2 gun drones

3 X Fire Knives Bonded (The Plane Janes)
2 gun drones

12 Firewarriors

12 Firewarriors Bonded

10 Kroot

10 Kroot with 5 hounds (alpha group)

10 kroot with 5 hounds (beta group)

1 X piranha FB, Disruption pod, Flechette, targetting array

1 X piranha FB, Disruption pod, Flechette, targetting array

3 X Broadsides BASS, Bonded, Leader has target lock and blacksun filter
2 Shield Drones

1 X Rail Head, SMS, Disruption pod, Multi Tracker

1 X Ion Head, 2 burst cannons, Disruption pod, Multi Tracker.

Stealth suits are all gone there are no troop transports, and there are no pathfinders. I could have used the stealth suits but it was either them and a npiece of wargear or the unit of 10 kroot and 12 firewarriors. I went for the more dakka. The Ion head was much the same thought process. I figured it would be ignored in favour of the scarier things in the list. That and it is a dedicated monster/light vehicle hunter which is something I feel I need more of. Sure Fire knives do in a pinch but I'd rather be shooting at the guys inside with them. That and he get 9 shots when he moves 6" and isn't a big enough threat to be charged over the objectives. I loved him really. My mobility to take objectives was with the kroot who would either infiltrate or deep strike depending on the situation to move close.

My first game was against my last opponent with his deathwing army from the last tournament. You know the one that tabled me pretty much... Well it was on a snow table I got snow bases so I was hoping to get lucky. His list was the same pretty much I think.

Land raider with termies and some named termie hero

2 rhinos with 10 man tac squads

1 predator with las cannons

2 venerable dreads 1 with a drop pod

1 scout squad

3 bikers

1 attack bike

The objective was table quarters with kill points being a secondary objective. It was dawn of war deployment and there was a special rule that your opponent could redeploy your two troops you put out on the first turn. If they stayed alive you got more points. Well it wasn't enough points and we both decided not to put anything on except for my commander who hid behind some trees. The whole board was a bunch of impassible clumps of trees that blocked line of sight, and one ruin in the middle of the board slightly on the right flank.

My turn 1:
With nothing to shoot at I moved on all my dudes onto the board going left to right bonded fire warriors, alpha kroot, the hoplites, the plain janes, and the ion head, piranha ahead of them who dropped off his gun drones, unbonded firewarriors with broadsides behind, a hammer head also in the back hiding behind some woods, a piranha was in front of the rail head, the 10 kroot squad, my commander was hiding behind some trees, and the beta kroot made it to the board edge. The kroot and fire warriors ran to cover as much space to prevent an incoming drop pod and all the crisis suits weer well hidden in cover.

His Turn 1:
Apparently his drop pod doesn't need to come in on the first turn just half automatically do and when it's one you can choose... oh well he brings on his rhinos in the corners with the las pred in the right corner too. His on foot ven dread runs up the middle, and the land raider also does the same. He could not make any spotting rolls so that was his turn.

My turn 2:
I threw my piranha that was on my left flank in between two clumps of trees preventing the dread and the land raider from moving next turn. I repositioned my dudes slightly to keep the piranha's gun drones from dying but it ends up I couldn't roll that shooting phase so nothing else really happened.

His turn 2:
His scouts come in and charge the bonded fire warriors on the left flank, He then turns my piranha into a crater. The scouts won combat but the fire warriors held.

My Turn 3:
My second piranha comes in and takes the place of the first. The fusion blaster hits home and the land raider is destroyed. The melta gun on the dread gets blown up, and the terminators get some loving and lose a couple of their number. My kroot charge the scout squad and the tide has definitely turned in my favour but since they were so spread out they couldn't get too many in that turn.

His turn 3:
His attack bike comes in, and his bikers come in. His attack bike hides with his rhino in the back corner, and his attack bikers come down behind my kroot. His ven dread also comes in with the drop pod right in front of the rail head and his accompanying forest.He destroys my piranha, and moves his terminator's through the ruins. The foot Dread moves up the middle. My commander shrugs off some shooting and it comes to my turn. The scouts are dead and there was much rejoicing.

My turn 4:
I charge the 10 kroot and the beta kroot into bikes behind them which peals off the bubble wrap of my commander who falls back to the right. Everything that can shoots at terminators and dreads, reducing the terminator squad in size the foot dread to a torso, and the drop dread to a dread with a close combat weapon. I kill two of the

His turn 4:
His drop dread charges the commander, the foot dread runs up the middle both rhino's begin advancing along with the predator and attack bike on their flanks. His terminators make it to my unbonded fire warriors and make them run away with three left. My commander died and the kroot finished off their prey. He destroyed my railgun on the railhead.

My turn 5:
Lucky rolling meant my 3 broken fire warriors were going to get some more shots in, I stupidly left my aloha kroot and bonded fire warriors where they were hoping to be able to get one more turn in, because I thought it was mainly a kill points mission.I blow up the drop pod, immobilize the foot dread ran my 10 kroot and beta kroot to the left using the beta kroot as cover from the drop dread for the 10 kroot squad. I destroyed the attack bike and the rhino on the left flank. The named character had previously jumped ship with one wound left and hid behind some trees so I blasted him with my smart missile system on my railhead and got the last one.

His turn 5:
His drop dread charged the kroot his tac squad and rhino moved back to claim his two quarters. His foot dread did whatever an immobilized weaponless dread does... My Kroot held in combat against the drop dread.

I lost the game 7 to 4 with how the scoring was done. However if I had moved my rail head to contest which I think it might have been anyways and moved up the bonded fire warriors or the alpha kroot it would have been a 5 point swing. i thought the main was kill points and it wasn't At the end of the day if the game went on for longer I'd have tabled him. He really hadn't hurt my effectiveness and my layers of defense with the piranha's and kroot worked right. Now if only I could learn to approximate 12" better for my commander he'd still be alive lol. I count this as a moral victory as i won the objective I wanted to and he looked at me and was like have you been playing a lot more? so I knew i played that game a lot better.

My second opponent was a space wolf player he had

one named character and some rune priest thing that I always messed the name up on.

3 units of lang fangs one with las the rest with rocket launchers.

10 wolf guard with some terminators with rockets

3 5 man wolf guards with the same terminators with rockets

2 individual wolf cavalry

1 mounted guy with a bunch of wolves

This board is a city board and the deployment is like a wierd triangular deployment where the triangle is 18" in from the corner of the boards. Not much terrain in the middle but lots of stuff to hide in otherwise. This time it is kill points with bonus for getting rid of all their troops or heavy support or characters.

His Deployment:
from left to right he deploys first with his wolves and rider dude, long fangs in some buildings a unit of wolf guard behind the building, his big unit of 10 with the named guy, a wolf cav in front of that, another unit of 5 guys and a wolf cav in front of that, and then the lascannon long fangs in a building with the rocket long fangs behind that building.

My deployment:
From left to Ion head with the plane janes hiding behind it, a piranha hiding behind the side armour of that the broadsides in a building with the commander attached, the hoplites second piranha and railhead were all behind the building. The bonded fire warriors were in the middle in some rubble and were pretty close to my board edge with the unbonded ones to their right also in the rubble. My kroot all infiltrated up to the top left occupying some buildings and pieces of terrain, they were able to shoot the long fags and the wolves with the cav dude. it went 10 man kroot alpha kroot in a a building, beta kroot by a tree sump... it didn't count as a forest sadly.

Being the sly dog that I am I stole the initiative and went first.

My first turn:
I spread out my forces moving the ion head, the piranha flat out, and plane janes down the left flank. My other piranha railhead and hoplites moved to the right leaving the piranha and hoplites in cover behind the building or rail head. My first turn of shooting saw the wolves with cav dude die 3 of his las cannon long fangs, all of his wolf cav dudes, and I think some of his rocket launcher wolf fangs on the left flank.

His first turn:
he moves back a little. His shooting blasts the piranha on the left to smitherings leaving two rattled gun drones. The unbonded firewarriors need to go to ground to avoid losing a lot of men. He also immobilized my rail head and killed some shield drones.

My second turn:
Now is when I realize I have a problem. Normally people come at me but this shooty guy has range on me and to get into shooting range I need some cover and there just isn't any. So I start moving the ion head down the middle with the plane janes following it. the 10 man kroot squad got into the building a bit. My piranha also started going up the middle lending some cover to the hoplites. A lot of my shooting was out of range but I managed to wipe out 3 of the rocket launcher long fangs on the left flank. I dropped some of the 5 man squad with the kroot shooting too. There were some deaths across the whole of the army as the pie plate scattered a bit.

His second:
He moved back a little. He shot a lot at my kroot by the tree and they went to ground. He popped off another shield drone leaving only one remaining.

At this point is wasn't much of a contest. I had gained too much and was too well dug in. He couldn't kill any of my units as they were all just going to go to ground, and when you're marines shooting at kroot who have a 3+ cover save you know something nasty is going to hit you in the side of the head. I failed to kill all of his heavy support or troops as he had two long fangs and really his whole army was troops and heavy support. I nearly got the commander with a rail shot but he was an eternal warrior. The Ion Head was instrumental in pressing home the win as it moved down the middle and was a big enough threat to have to be dealt with but wasn't big enough to deal with it when there were scarier stuff on the board. Just as I had hoped I got into that sweet range of moving up 6" unloading everything and having the crisis suits be able to jump out far enough to see a good target and then hide behind their buddy. What also worked wonders for me was the commander joining the broadsides. He raised the leadership the model count and brought two more ablative wounds making the unit ridiculously hard to crack. All told I was really happy and felt I would have tabled him had we gone one or two more turns.

My next opponent played eldar he had

warseer council on bikes. Quite a bit of them with some flamer things.
3 war walkers in a squadron
1 fire prism
5 warriors in a troop transport
10 banshees
4 bikes with a special weapon
5 pathfinders

This was played on the dinosaur table. Lots of impassible edges to walk up and some impassible tar pits. Spear head deployment with really a cool scenario. Where the first hero died became an objective and was worth 4 points the enemy's objective was 5 points and your own was 1 points. You also got 2 points if it was your hero who died. I went first.

I deployed in the right corner with my hammer head at the back left hiding behind some terrain followed by a piranha then the hoplites. The bonded firewarriors were in front of the piranha on the objective by some triceratops who got stuck in goo. My broadsides were up on the heights next to them and were accompanied by the commander. In front of the bonded firewarriors in the open were the unbonded firewarriors followed by the ion head with the plane janes and second piranha hiding behind him. Well apparently I had used up all my sly doggedness and I lost the initiative my Ion head was supposed to cover the firewarriros but now that wasn't going to happened. All of my kroot outflanked. I figured it would be the only way to get to my opponents objective, and with spear head no matter what roll it was I would be able to make good use of them for attack or defense.

He deployed his tanks in the back left corner behind some cliff. His bikes were behind another cliff more to the centre with his avatar His pathfinders deployed more in the centre along the board edge where he placed his objective, and his war walker squad was next to the. His bikes and banshees were in reserve.

His first turn:
He moved his tanks out from behind the cliff to shoot his avatar and council moved forward but not flat out. His war walker shuffled into a better shooting angle, and my unbonded fire warriors were doomed. Literally by the stupid warseer and his council.Those unbonded firewarriors died a horrible death to shooting and the rail head was immobilized and lost it's railgun.

My First turn:
I run the piranha by the rail head to the left along the board edge. My other piranha ran along the right board edge flat out. The ion head moved towards the middle and the plane janes moved beside it. The hoplites jumped up on the ridge to get a better line of sight. My shooting saw the transport become immobilized and stripped of 2 of its main guns. in the back corner. I destroyed one war walker prevented the other from shooting and destroyed a gun on the third I couldn't see the seer council so I didn't shoot at it.

His second turn:
He moves up his avatar and seer council again His shooting kills some of my bonded fire warriors. His fire prism remains stationary. His banshees and bikers come on and the bikers go behind my piranha and the banshees line up to assault it. the shot does nothing and when he realizes exactly what a flechette discharger does he doesn't assault the piranha.

My second turn:
the 10 kroot come onto the left board edge and assault the fire prism doing nothing. The Piranha on the left flies up the middle. the piranha on the right stays put as he's in between impassible terrain and the board edge. My tanks and suits move to better shooting angles on the seer council. I lay into the seer council saying toughness 5 everytime, and am never corrected until the last unit goes to shoot and I have done nothing to them. My opponent apologized and all I could do was go on with the game but I was a little down at that point as that was big.

His third turn:
Well he moved right to shooting and forgot to move his council or avatar. At this point he was like oh man I messed up big on that and we agreed it probably was a good way to balance out the fact that his seer council convinced themselves they were toughness 5 not 4. His bikes shot at my piranha trying to open up a door to no avail. The fire prism rammed my piranha rolled a 6 to hit and destroy it and blew it up. Thankfully my kroot passed their tank shock test.

My third turn:
Alpha Kroot come in on the left board edge and meet up with the 10 kroot squad and they start running towards the pathfinders while the goon drones from the piranha try to block the fire prisms lie of sight. the Commander leaves the broadside unit as he feels it is an appropriate time and place to die to get me 2 points. More shooting at the seer council is to no avail I kill maybe 1 or 2. I do drop another walker and destroy another weapon on them. The Piranha also took out a biker, and I got 3 wounds on the avatar. My commander Jumped into a ravine and blocked the seer council from getting at the plane janes behind hoping to be killed next turn.

His fourth turn:
His seer council charges into the shas'el and he lives through this turnhis bikes give up on the piranha and wing down the flank hiding behind a rock. The rest of his shooting opens up on the kroot who out in the open lose a lot of dudes but stay strong. He made it so my piranha couldn't shoot with his banshees.

My Fourth Turn:
I can't shoot at the seer council and the avatar is within 12 of my hoplites so I shoot my hamerhead the remaining 3 bonded firewarriors and he shrugs off all of those hits like a champ. then I remember the gun drones in my hoplite squad and I kill the avatar yet again with gun drones. the bikers died to some repositioned plane janes. Kroot squad beta came on the left and tried to see if they couldn't charge in at the seer council hoping to maybe win the combat. the other kroot squads just kept running towards the pathfinders with the remnants of the 10 man kroot squad making it to cover. So I decided to Move my piranha flat out to the middle of the board by the war walker and the pathfinders. My commander died and the beta squad of kroot was just slightly out of range.

His Fifth turn:
He charged my broadsides with his seer council, and shot everything at the remaining alpha kroot who died, and the 10 man kroot squad who survived with 4 kroot in tact. The broadsides died to the seer council.

My fifth turn:
It was definitely going to a turn 6 according to the rules so I threw both the plane janes and hoplites into the seer council hoping to live one round and keep the seer council mired in combat so that my krot and fire warriors would control the objectives and protect them. My 10 man kroot made it to the pathfinders and killed them. The war walker survived a lot of shooting, and the crisis suits did in combat what they couldn't in shooting, killing the seer council. they lost but they hung in there.

His sixth turn:
He walked and the ran towards the objective with his war walker contesting it against the now 3 kroot as one died from shooting. they held though which was good. the seer council won killed all the suits and consolidated to contest my heroes corpse leaving me only my own objective.

My sixth turn:
Well I could have assaulted with my fire warriors and pulled his seer council off of the heroes objective but I got greedy and since there were only 4 of thenm left and the seer had a wound I unloaded with the pitiful forces I had left. He lost the biker I could assault with my fire warriors and when I assaulted with my kroot I rolled terribly and so I lost that and my kroot died giving him more points. I did destroy the war walker though and I got 10 points out of 15 so I was pretty happy with that.

The stars of the tournament would be
1st star: Piranha's helped me out quite a bit.
2nd star: Ion head
3rd Star: Goon drones who help out with in big ways sometimes

No dunce hat as everyone did well today.

I liked the list I think I'm going to keep it this way. I didn't really miss the pathfinders and with the kroot deployment tricks I was more able to get to places where they would be annoying and dug in so I think the mobility is there it's just you get that extra pep at the beginning and you have to use them to get in cover go to ground and absorb shots. Everything in this army was really bargain basement with as little gear to operate as was necessary. I felt that if I had made some plays or moves differently I would have been able to go up significantly in the ranks. My painting score was bad and I got 5 out of 20 points there because a lot of it isn't painted. Overall I came in 12th out of 32 which is way better then dead last I felt I fought well and I had a winning record at the end of the day so today was a good day for me.

Yami Kero
Shas

Post#23 » May 09 2010 05:38

Excellent read Draaen. No cup of coffee can wake you up on a Sunday like a few good battle that ended well for the greater good.

I agree that in the first game you are the moral victor. See his list and how you managed it is top notch. The 2 real victories speak for themselves! I think that if you made 1 or 2 moves better in match one you would have been top 10.

Overall good job m8.

O'Shavah
Shas

Post#24 » May 09 2010 01:17

Out of interest how well were the seer council rolling as they don't have power weapons yet they went through suits like a hot knife through butter. The only way I would understand it is if there was an Autarch (would require 3 HQ's) or they continually ran of the board/sweeped units.

Draaen
Shas

Post#25 » May 09 2010 02:58

I felt that the seer council was just incredibly lucky on a lot of their rolls and I was unlucky on a lot of mine in close combat. He would beat me by a little and then run me down. Since he was at initiative 5 on those guys I would need to roll really well and him really bad to get away. I agree though when I found out that they allowed armour saves I was not so bashful about throwing some suits in at them to tie them up. I think if I had had my kroot and that other unit of fire warriors to help out with their weight of fire it would have gone differently but I had to get rid of the kroot from the line for the added mobility to capture objectives. also the pie plate would have been nice too.

Draaen
Shas

Post#26 » May 22 2010 11:32

Well got another game in, and I convinced my girlfriend to come out and team up with me and see how the old Tau and Daemon combination would work. Personally I think it has the potential to be one of the most well balanced and effective combinations out there possible. I used a carbon copy of my tournament list I last posted. My GF used

1 Lord of Change - He could breather fire and had master of sorcery so he could do three shots in a turn

2 Heralds of Tzeentch in Chariot with gaze and might, oh and the one upgrade that's like grenades I forgot all about.

1 unit of 20 daemonettes

5 plaguebeares with icon

5 plaguebearers with icon

5 plaguebearers with icon

5 Nurglings

10 Flesh Hounds

1 Daemon prince of tzeentch, with bolt, gaze, flight, master of sorcery, and the flame template attack

1 Daemon prince of tzeentch, with bolt, gaze, flight,

We played oddly enough against two chaos space marine armies which made me feel like the odd man out. I'm not sure who had what so I'm just throwingit al into one list.

Typhus with 5 accompanying terminators

Sorcerer with 5 terminators

1 Defiler

1 Las Predator

1 Immolator I want to call it. It has the really strong large blast template attack

2 obliterators

2 obliterators

10 regular marines with rhino

10 plague marines with rhino

10 plague marines with rhino

10 noise marines with rhino

5 Noise marines

5 noise marines

5 Noise marines

5 Noise marines

2 Dreadnoughts

1 Daemon Prince

So there are two objectives it's dawn of war and my team is going second. In the middle of either of both sides deployment zone is actually a wall section and a tower from the warhammer siege kit.

Their deployment from left to right:
They throw some noise marines on a hill on the extreme left flank, some more noise marines occupy the wall of the fortress, and some more of the noise marines take position in the tower. The last unit of 5 noise marines resides in the extreme right flank also using some hilly terrain for cover.

My deployment:
It really is my deployment cause daemons don't come in which made it kind of awkward TBH. I threw my fire warriors on top of the fortress wall in my middle, the commander hid behind the tower right next to it, and moved my 10 kroot infiltrated into a murky pond in the middle left field. My other units of kroot were going to outflank.

The objectives were placed behind his tower on the right flank and behind and beside the fortress wall on my left flank. The whole plan for this game was to let the plaguebearers come down with their icons mid field early and absorb fire. Then bring in the second wave of really hitty weaker guys and I would try to clear off any body who would be an immediate threat to them. Once the daemons had protection and were put accurately into a p lace to do their work I figured the rest of the equation would take care of itself.

Their first turn:
they bring in everything but the two terminator squads who decide deep striking is in fashion. On the left the immolater rolls in then the obliterators then s unit of 10 marines in rhino next to it taking cover behind the noise marines hill. Two dreadnoughts walk in in the middle of his deployment while the noise marine rhino comes in next behind the wall followed by the nurgle marines rhino who sits on the objective the predator comes in and moves forward followed by the last nurgle marines rhino and they both pop smoke. There was a daemon prince with them too lurking by some cover. The Defiler comes forward next to the noise marines taking shelter behind their hill on the extreme right flank. Shots were taken at the kroot who just went to ground and weathered the turn of fire losing only 5 dudes and they successfully passed their morale check.

Our first turn:
She got the group she wanted to come in and her nurglings came in behind a rock that was pretty close to our objective her 3 units of plaguebeares cluttered up the middle giving pinpoint accurate deepstriking anywhere there pretty much, and her lord of change and daemon prince with breath came in on the right flank. From the left flank I brought in the ion head where the hoplites took cover behind. the regular crisis suits ran up to the fortess wall, my broadsides moved into the right of the tower, my railhead was next to them, and my fire warriors moved into some rubble next to him. My piranha winged down the left flank, and my other piranha moved flat out into the middle more to the right. I shot and did predictably nothing.

Their second turn:
The dreadnoughts and immolator moved forward and the regular and noise marine rhino got behind the dreadnoughts. The predator advanced further and the nurgle rhino on the right flank moved up with it and let out the nurgle marines on a hill to block line of sight to the rhino I assume. The daemon prince was also hiding behind the predator too. The other nurgle rhino predictably decided it wanted to stand on the objective. Their shooting amounted to an ionhead that couldn't shoot and some plaguebearers dead but all the units had their icons left, and he destroyed my piranha's fusion blaster on the right flank. The obliterators also moved forward too. Oh and how could i forget both units of terminators come down in the middle and make it safely standing in between a bunch of plaguebearers.

Our second turn:
She gets her two chariots and her daemonettes in. To prevent Typhus' unit from making it around the fortress wall She sends all of her daemonettes and chariots there to block the way and hopefully get some good strikes in when he charges with what should be by then a much depleted unit. The daemon prince and the lord of change move up the flank with the lord of change being a lot further ahead and within flame template reach of the nurgle marines who had gotten out of their rhino. My Piranha on my right flank flew into the face of the rhinos, and my other piranha flew fast in front of the dreadnoughts. My crisis suits jockeyed for better position on the terminators and I let the plasma fly. With a commander 2 units of crisis suits with rapid firing plasma and a rapid firing fire warrior unit I killed 1 Terminator. My other shooting was slightly better as I downed a dreadnought and scared the defiler a bit. her shooting was much better as she immobilized the plague marines rhino, and then dropped the occupants down to two guys whom her lord of change charged but only managed to kill one.

Their Third turn:
The rhinos move around the piranha to the left, and the living dreadnought goes crazy and has to charge the closest unit since his buddy is dead it's the piranha that is blocking the rhino's. The immolator moved up, and his daemon prince moved right into our daemon princes face on the right flank. All the obliterators moved up. His shooting successfully killed like 13 of the daemonettes wounded both of the chariots and made sure that the ion head was not going to fire any of his AP 3 goodness. Actually now is a good time to note that I was supposed to help the daemonettes by giving them cover with the piranha but um yeah I forgot which is a big reason why they got hurt so much... Anyways the daemonetts get charged by Typhus one chariot by the sorcerer daemon army and they killed like 4 terminators in total before being wiped down to 1 daemonette. His Daemon prince killed our daemon prince who decided to fail 4 4+ invuls, and the Lord of change squashed the last plague marine. My piranha died to the dreadnought who got one hit on it :(, both drones did live however.

Our third turn:
Her hounds come in which she throws on the right in front of my ion head and hoplites hoping to make sure they are going to be able to get the charge off. Her Lord of Change flies to be able to see the rhino full of plague marines sitting on their objective. Her Screamers also came in and they came on on the right flank. The lord of change pops the rhino good and the explosion takes down 4 plague marines. The opposing daemon prince dies, the defiler dies, and very few terminators die. The last living chariot forgets to charge into typhus unit which is just typhus and one other dude and so the last daemonette also dies. The last living weaponless piranha moves in front of the noise marine rhino and lets out his drones who gets in the way of both of the rhino's.

His fourth turn:
Well the drones prevented the noise marines from being able to get out where they wanted to so they decided to tank shock which sent the drones scurrying away. Both rhinos moved up on the left flank and were now right in front of the kroot, and the noise marines came out to play.The immolator moved up and the terminators moved up looking to hurt the last surviving chariot. His shooting made it so the ion head could not shoot again, and he started killing off some drones from various suit squads without much effect. He caused 3 wounds to the lord of change, and he reduced the hound squad size to two. He killed the last daemonette with his terminators and hugged my castle wall. His Dreadnought also killed my piranha. Man Flechettes are no fun when dreadnoughts charge you...

Our fourth turn:
One unit of Kroot cam in on the right and they ran right to the noise marines. The lord of change arranged himself in a good fire breathing position the screamers flew at the predator a new daemon prince came in who was behind the hounds and in front of the ion cannon. The rail head moved up into where the daemon prince had been on the right flank. The ion head moved foward and was now right between the castle wall and the rock that the nurglings were behind who had slowly moved over and taken up position around our objective in area of terrain cover. My Kroot in the pond try to bar the way of the noise marines. I jockey for shooting positions and we start shooting the plague marines behind the tower are reduced to 2 dudes from the lord of change all of the terminators except for one lightning claw guy make it out of the rail and plasma that rain down on them. Some noise marines die and the rhino carrying the regular marines blows up. In combat the hounds charge the immolator and the immolator is fine. The kroot kill 3 noise marines but in the end it wasn't enough they died ran away and were cut down as they ran.

Their turn 5:
The lone terminator climbs up onto the parapet, Staring down at my fire warriors. His immolator moves up. He kills the lord of change drops the screamers down to 1 guy left, and makes my railhead immobilized and destroys my ion head who never got to shoot the whole game. He also got the daemon prince. His terminator charges in at the firewarriors making them run away, oh and he got two of the hopllites, and killed the hounds from shooting too.

Our turn 5:
My Piranha's gun drones start making their mad dash for the objective running behind their wall. The Screamers take cover behind a hill. waiting to try to contest if it goes to a turn 6 since my kroot again did not come in. not much moving as there wasn't too much to move the plaguebearers tried to run in the way of any noise marines from getting to our objective. My shooting killed a good amount of regular and noise marines and tried to take care of some of the other tanks but to no avail, cause I took out that pesky lone terminator. Well the game went on to turn 6.

Their turn 6:
one lone rhino ran up the middle as stopped right in front of my lone hoplite. Some shooting was had but at this point the lack of targets meant the only meaningful thing killed was the two contesting gun drones.

Our turn 6:
not much happened here we checked the range on the screamers and their flat out move was just a smidge out of the 3" so the game ended and we had a draw. Although I wanted to see if I'd have taken out that last dread and as I'd done all game I rolled a pen then got a 2 on the chart. Seemed to me I either blew stuff up this game really good or I rolled a 1 to pen lol.

Well here are the Stars
1st: Lord of Change man - he does not like plague marines. Being able to fire three shots and charge is just brutal.
2nd: Broadsides - They were never incredibly noticeable at any given point but they worked all game without too much problem.
3rd: Piranha's - They died but they slowed the game down and gave me another last minute objective contester that if I had gotten lucky would have wone me the game.

The dunce is the kroot who did not show up at all with one unit lost a fight they should have won with the other. I do have to say the ten man squad in cover going to ground and just getting in people's way was well well worth it.

My post game thoughts:
Pikachu died on his first 4 wounds which makes ma a sad panda :::( . However I have to say I am happy with this game even though we lost. It was an odd match up for everyone. Setting up with daemons is like me going to pick her up at her house and then having to wait for her to get ready to go out lol. Our opponents had no real knowledge of tau or daemons, and try as much as you want you are never going to give them an accurate description of what the things to look out for are until it is too late. Especially with two oddball armies like tau and daemons who seem to be way different then any other kids on the block. The match up seems to be really really good as she can't catch dudes on transports. So I'll just blow open the transports for her. I just can't get over how sick nasty each of her daemons can be in the right circumstances. Like nurglings in cover on an objective takes either a small set of tools or a lot blood sweat and tears to dislodge, but they have no shots, and aren't good in close combat. They're little fat couch potatoes really.

At points we had really lucky rolls and some really bad ones like with the terminators. In all of my games it seems like I hit a really hard unit and I spend too much time trying to kill it. Maybe next time I'll just try to feed the troll and take out all of the chaff and hope that the troll doesn't eat too much. I did make a mistake with the piranhas not giving the daemonettes cover but I also realized that the plague bearers could have done that too.

Oh and as a note any more of these team games with daemons will probably be on a smaller scale as apparently "It takes too long with that many guys". At least I know pikachu will be used every time. He's now gotten some purple paint on him and a flame effect on his spear. I'll post a pic of him when she's done painting him up.

Draaen
Shas

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(5/23/10)

Post#27 » Jun 05 2010 09:25

Went out again today to play a game. This time though I decided to mix things up a bit where my list was concerned. I came into two devilfish so I figured I should see how the semi mech force would work for me. Plus I tried some new suit configurations. Up until this point I've been reading stelek's blog and taking a lot of his advice and obviously it's worked out well for me. In the end though he has a very narrow point of view, and to find out if it's right or wrong you gotta try something else too.

So my 2000 point list which was beefed up from 1850 and again is a mostly barebones list.

1 Fire Kife el with 2 shield drones

3 Deathrains, flamers, 2 gun drones, bonded

3 Helios , Bonded, 2 Gun Drones

6 Stealth Suits, Bonded (Yeah they came back I had not other models to beef up my points to 2000)

6 Fire Warriors
1 Devilfish, Gun Drones, Disruption Pod

6 Fire Warriors

12 Kroot

12 Kroot

8 Pathfinders
1 Devilfish, Gun Drones, Disruption Pod

1 Piranha, Disruption Pod, Targetting Array, Fusion Blaster

1 Piranha, Disruption Pod, Targetting Array, Fusion Blaster

3 BASS, 2 Shield Drones

1 Ion Head

1 Rail Head

For the most part this army I thought would play the same. The difference was that I cut points and made units more focused so positioning and anticipation of where my opponent was going to go was going to be absolutely critical. Especially with a unit like my helio's suits which if they aren't within 12" at some point in time are not the greatest. Thankfully though this army is very mobile and so I can infiltrate with my kroot, pathfinders, and Stealth suit teams so a lot of my static elements won't be out of place and everything else but the broadsides can be rapidly redeployed so going first really has a limited negative impact on letting your opponent know where you will be. My opponents list was a chaos marine undivided list of some sort.

1 Daemon Prince of Tzeentch

5 Marine Bikers of Nurgle, Icon Powerfist

10 Plaguemarines
1 Rhino

10 Marines, Icon of Nurgle
1 Rhino

10 Marines, Icon
1 Rhino

5 Terminators of Tzeentch

3 Obliterators

1 of those demolisher(?) tanks

I win the roll to go first on a pitched battle two objective game. The whole board is littered with some ruins and woods. I looked at the board and decided to put my objective on the left flank in the open with lots of cover around it. The table had a lot of places where I my opponents movement would be funneled through some ruins if he deployed directly opposite of me, which I figured he would want to do. His objective was in the middle of his deployment zone in some cover.

My Deployment From left to right:
Far left Corner is the Railhead followed by the commander attached to the broadsides hiding behind some ruins near the objective. A unit of firewarriors was hiding beside a devilfish with a piranha and the deathrain unit hiding behind them and the ruins they were in. Then came the ion head, the helios suits then took position next to them behind some woods, and a piranha was hiding next to them. On the extreme right flank hiding behind terrain was the unit of firewarriors in a devilfish. That last one I wanted him to make a tough choice as to what to go after :D. Everyone else infiltrated.

His deployment from left to right:
Demolisher next to a big hill, then some plague marines in rhino with the daemon prince in front. Then his bikers behind some ruins, nurgle icon marines behind the ruins too followed by the regular squad outside of the ruins next to the objective.

My Infiltrators:
My Pathfinders take up a nice spot on the extreme right flank in some ruins giving them a good view of my opponents deployment zone and putting them out of the way. One unit of kroot goes in the woods in the middle in front of my crisis, and the other goes to the far left flank in some ruins in front of my commander. The Stealth suits go to his far right flank 18" away from the regular marines tank.

He fails to steal first turn and I go

My First turn:
All suits jump for better position, Piranha in the middle jumps in front of the nurgle icon marines rhino, the second piranha moves up in front of the woods the objective is placed int. The pathfinders devilfish picks up it's firewarriors and trades places with the ion head. The second devilfish moves up the right flank hiding behind rocks. All suits jockey for firing position. Shooting phase was exceptional for me, the nurgle icon marines rhino was totally destroyed, the other two rhino's were immobilized, and on a last lucky shot I destroyed the demolisher cannon. All the suits jumped back.

his first turn:
His Daemon Prince and Bikers make a beeline for my line with his prince ending up in midfield and his bikers ending up just outside of some ruins. His nurgle Icon marines moved right up to the front of the pirranha that was in their way. He let his regular marines go into the forest and they moved 6" towards my stealth suits who had hid behind the terrain to avoid being seen. It ended up being a mistake as they assaulted and killed the stealth suits and consolidated back into the woods. His shooting did nothing.

My Second Turn:
My devilfish on the right again moved up the flank this time hiding behind a building. the piranha in front of the icon warriors moved over 6" and the other piranha took it's spot moving only 12. Suits jockeyed for shooting positions, and the ionhead moved 6" up into midfield. Shooting saw the daemon prince die and the bikers reduced to two models. The immobilized rhino next to the objective was destroyed.

His second turn:
His Oblits come in and they come in right behind the ruins where the bikers are. The bikers move towards the big broadside unit, and the regular marines in the woods move to get a better shot on the piranha. His shooting drops a gun drone causes 3 wounds on the broadside/commander squad that is absorbed, and he drops the piranha that is not directly in front of the nurgle icon warriors. He charges the broadsides and kills the commanders shield drone while the suits kill a biker.

My Third turn:
All my kroot converge on the obliterators. My devilfish moves into position to be able to hold my own objective the other devilfish moves up along the flank again hiding behind yet more rocks. The living piranha moves to centre field with the obliterators in his sights. Suits jockeyed for position. The obliterators were dropped down to a single guy with one wound. my 12 man unit of kroot that did not rapid fire charged in and managed to get into combat with the biker as well. They failed to do any wounds and lost two of their number in return. However everyone thankfully held.

His Third turn:
His dudes pretty much stayed in position and he shot down the two remaining gun drones. His Obliterators and biker died in combat.

My Fourth turn:
Everyone but the kroot and the home devilfish moved up the middle to threaten that objective as much as possible. The helios team was on the right flank moving up rather then the centre and the devilfish that's been on the flank now tried moving towards the objective along the opponents board. Shooting saw the regular marines dropped down to a very low number. I also wiped out the remnants of the nurgle icon marines.

His Fourth turn:
His Terminators come in, and he brings them down on the right flank in front of my helios suits. His plague marines ran towards his objectives, and his regular marines moved towards it too.

My fifth turn:
I destroyed his regular marines shot down two terminators moved my piranha and devilfish onto the objective and threw my helios teams further to the right hoping to draw the terminators in that direction. Some plague marines die.

His Fifth turn:
My devilfish dies the gun drones and the fire warriors are contesting the objective still though. The terminators kill the helios team.

My Sixth turn:
Not much to do but move dudes up firing as much as possible. I downed the terminators to one guy, and killed some plaguemarines.

His sixth turn:
He kills the firewarriors, and the surviving gun drones but the piranha is still contesting. A win for the greater good.

So the stars
1st: Broadside team
2nd: Rail Head (It never missed, not once!)
3rd: Death Rain team (They were so cheap, and every time I would roll to hit I'd hit like once then I'd do the rerolls and all my shots would hit. I like these guys)

Dunce: I don't feel there was one cause it wasn't the stealth suits fault and they made a timely immobilized rhino with no support. Other then that everything I lost I put in a place to sacrifice it and everything hit what it should have.

I felt in control of this game at all times. I got lucky at the start with getting the damage results I needed on all the tanks but I feel I analyzed the priorities properly, and influenced my opponents game a lot. My move of having the devilfish out on the extreme right flank nowhere near anything else of merit almost made him redeploy an entire tactical squad out into nowhere. If he's thinking to do that he's not thinking straight and it should make the win easier. I looked at how many points I was spending into upgrades on those devilfish and when I cut back the points I feel the trade off was well worth it. Man Nurgle bikers are tough, toughness six is nuts.

My critiques on my play was that I was too paranoid about his shooting. His demolisher, prince, and obliterators were his only long range shooting. Everything else was a melta shot, and I had all of them dealt with second turn or third turn. I could have played my boys slightly more aggressively. I also believe that as far as one on ones go that's 3 wins which constitutes a streak. So I'm quite happy about it.

Draaen
Shas

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(5/6/10)

Post#28 » Jun 15 2010 07:12

So I've modified my battle reports to be more brief when I do play games to make it a shorter read. However one of the unfortunate parts that gets left out of the translation is who shoots and kills what. Anyone who has played tau knows that if you mess up what you are shooting at and who shoots in what order can have very negative impacts on the result of the game. So I'm going to talk about how I prioritize targets. This is what works for me and you may want to try other things. Just when you do always ask yourself what if I had done it in a different order how would that have effected the game? Could I have gotten more or less? How would it have effected my opponents strategy? Even if you make a minor gain over what you would have done before is worth it, because really to ask those questions doesn't take that much time. Okay onto my method.

The first shots you should make are the ones that won't change no matter what. Your fire warriors have one target and it's not important enough for marker lights? Shoot it up first and see where the dice land. Maybe you get incredibly lucky or unlucky. This may lead you to shooting your valuable crisis suits into the unit or directing their fire elsewhere where they might have an impact.

I like to use the adage of divide and conquer when I fight. I'd rather fight 2 or 3 waves of people when I'm fighting guys rather then 1 big wave. So Naturally my first target is the soft transports like rhino's. I shoot them over land raiders or dreadnoughts, or even heavy support tanks. The reason for this is that obviously you want to make the marines inside foot slog across the battlefield, and you can do that much more reliably on a rhino then you could a land raider. The contents of either are going to mess up any of your units so I'd rather shut down as many units of scary marines as I can.

Now if the opponent has jump pack marines, or bikers or other such fast dudes as well as rhino's I still go after the rhino's with my big guns. The reason being is that no matter what you do unless you make that fast unit die or run then they are still going to move fast. In the first turn I like to slow the enemy down so if I can slow 4 out of 6 units I'd much rather take that then killing 1 out of 6. You only have so much shooting and you won't kill everybody in one round.

After dismounting the easy stuff I move onto the harder stuff like land raiders. These are hopefully slowed by piranha's so even the piranha might get a shot in. Again the piranha should get the first crack at it cause he may just do the job and open up your broadsides to shoot the termies inside or the heavy support tanks with the big guns. Then the dreads and heavy support tanks need to drop. At this point people will be foot slogging it over. Then you shoot what is closest and easiest to take out. Remember if you got a unit of 5 marines and 5 termies they're both just as deadly to any of your units really so take out the marines it's easier.

The other important thing to note is that shoot at what you are bought to shoot at. Sure a fire warrior can maybe glance and immobilize a rhino. That rhino is cheap though wait for a death rain to blow it up then shoot the contents inside. Even if it means letting the one rhino that luckily survived move forward. It's not the end of the world, worry more about maximizing the effectiveness of your shots and your enemies overall effectiveness should naturally go down in turn.

Well that's it. It really boils down to take the risky unimportant shots first and go after the easy and fast stuff first. then when they're slow shoot the scary stuff that will hurt you.

I also wanted to talk about a unit's effectiveness. Specifically how to measure whether a particular unit is being effective on the battle field or not. This is by no means an exact science which is why this game takes time to learn.

Making back their cost:
The easiest way to figure out how a unit is producing on the battle field is whether they killed more then they cost. I like this because there is a definite answer, and it is fairly easy to argue if I bought a unit that costs 100 and it kills 150 points worth of dudes it's worth it. However this system is fundamentally flawed from the fact that maybe that unit was less of a threat then other units and so was ignored the whole game while your army was systematically torn apart. Also if my piranha gets a lucky shot against a raider and blows it up, maybe it also kills some of the termies inside then this means that more then likely no one else will be able to be effective. The amount of army points the piranha killed is just too high for most other people to be considered effective. While I dislike this as a sole means of unit analysis I feel it should be looked at when it comes down to units that are designed to be opportunistic.

How well did it perform it's role?
Whether you realize it or not every unit prior to a game should be assigned a role. Even as vague a role as just fill the gaps works. If your unit is doing it's job it is being effective on the battlefield. If it costs half your points total, is doing it's assigned role, and you're losing games it's not the unit that's ineffective it's the list or strategy. For example 6 fire warriors in a devilfish. No one cares how much they kill really. Something is nice but most players would be fine with them getting their butts to an objectiv e and not dying. You won't be making back your cost but you may be winning games. These are probably the most important question you can ask yourself when building and tweaking a list. What's this guys job? Is he doing it? Can I do it better somewhere else? Do I even need this function in my army

What is my opponents reaction to it?
While this may not always be an indicator of effectiveness because it depends on your opponents knowledge of your army over time in a group you will see people learn from their mistakes. If someone is terrified of a certain unit chances are it is doing their job. The flaw in this system is that sometimes you want units to fly under the radar for a while. My ion head is never priority number 1 so it gets to unload more shots over a long period of time. There are too many more scary things to worry about. This brings up it's effectiveness in my eyes. This is a harder one to analyze and figure out as sometimes personal feelings toward a unit can get in the way of an unbiased evaluation.

When is the job performed and how critical is that to my army's success?
The perfect example for this is my broadsides. I don't think they ever really make their points back. What they do do is take clutch shots at must die transports and vehicles on turns something needs to happen. With the first and last turns being the most critical if you can get a unit that can perform well in it's roll when the chips are down, it is worth a premium in price IMO.

Well that is not really a battle report but I hope some people enjoyed reading it and maybe seeing something new in how to look at shooting/list building.

On another note my Ion Head is done :D and I'm quite happy with it. August is fast approaching and I have a lot of painting to do for the GT.

Things left to paint
2 Devil Fish - Base colours done
1 Piranha - Base colours done
1 Fire Warrior
8 Path Finders
4 Crisis Suits
1 Broadside
15 Kroot - Bas colours done

I'm more worried about the suits then anything else. I also hope that this is going to really sort of make up the final list and I don't make any changes. I at least have the whole week off before the tournament when I go to Seattle so I might just be a painting machine that week.

Mauler
Shas

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(15/6/10)

Post#29 » Jun 16 2010 06:39

Very enjoyable readin thus far mate, keep it up :D

One thing that irked me slightly that vs Orks he tank shocks with his Trukk - I don't think they have the 'tank' tag and therefore can't tank shock?

Mnemonic
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#30 » Jun 17 2010 03:14

Draaen,

I've been following this thread since you started writing it, and it's come along to the point that I'll be moving into the Field Experience section, if you're promoted to Shas'la.

What makes a big difference is where your reports have moved from being a recitation of events turn by turn to observations on play style, strategy and lessons learned; that's exactly the sort of thing we want to encourage here on ATT, because it lets others learn from your experiences. Keep up the good work!

There are a couple of minor points I should bring up; although your standard of spelling is generally good, there are a few typos creeping in... such as "that if I had gotten lucky would have wone me the game", "the front of the pirranha that was in their way" or "Yeah they came back I had not other models to beef up my points to 2000." It's not something major, but it does detract a little from the content quality of your piece. Given that you're writing quite detailed and lengthy reports, it's easy for little errors like that to creep in, which is why I'm not making a big deal of the primers at the moment, but it would improve the quality of your reports further if you could weed those mistakes out. As some are the sort of thing that creep past automatic spell-checkers, the best advice I can give is to write your post, then wait a few hours or a day before posting, and read it in reverse paragraph order before posting - you'd be surprised how many things you pick up that way that you wouldn't notice when checking right after writing. A quick pass through an automatic spell-checker is always a good idea, though.

You also occasionally interject mobile/textspeak type comments like "lol", which you don't really need. One of the good things about ATT being a rather elitist sight is that you don't need to flag up humour with an "lol" - people are going to get it when they read it, because the standard of ATT member is generally good enough that they don't need such visual signposts.

As your posts are quite detailed, there's a danger that they're going to generate the "wall of text" response from readers; when faced with a lot of text, it's common for those reading to start unconsciously skipping words/sentences or missing phrases, or to give up part way through reading. I think that would be a great shame, because you're making a lot of effort with your posts and I think more people should be reading. Is there anything you can do to break the posts up a little, visually? I started out using pictures taken using the camera on my phone, because that makes it easier for people to hold an image in their head of what the battlefield looks like, so that the descriptions you give of movement and combat are more meaningful and more easily followed. If you can't take pictures or find that you don't have time, a sketch of the shape of the battlefield in MS Paint or something similar can also work really well; this is one of those things where a picture can be worth a thousand words.

As I said, I like what you're doing here, so keep up the good work, and hopefully I'll see you in the Field Experience section before long.

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#31 » Jun 17 2010 08:50

I agree with Mnemonic on several points and look forward to further entries on your Cadre's war waging ways. The critique is also sound, Mnemonic covers most of my own comments fairly.

Welcome to Shas'la rank, your contributions to ATT are noted and enjoyed, really appreciate the effort you have put into this thread, I may just be a model and painting guy, but I enjoy reading through folks efforts game wise too. :)

Topic has been moved to Field Experience.

- Tael.

Draaen
Shas

Post#32 » Jun 24 2010 09:29

Well thank you guys for the promotion and the writing advice. Which actually I never thought to read it backwards. For that reason my upcoming battle report will wait a bit. That and so I can try to make some paint versions of the battle.

Mauler- Trukks I guess can be given a ram upgrade so that they are allowed to tank shock troops. At least that's what he said and I trust him as he definitely seemed very knowledgeable and fair. Actually of all my opponents on this blog so far he would be the one I enjoyed playing the most.

Draaen
Shas

Post#33 » Jun 28 2010 12:05

Okay so I haven't written up the report but I did just get finished with the battle diagrams. It was a lot of fun, but a lot of start up work for the sprites. Anyways hope this makes it easier to understand. Ideally I'll do a lot less narrating and just talk more about any odd events that happened, and what I was thinking at the time.

My list as best I can remember

1 X Fire Knife El
3 X Fire Knife, Bonded, 2 Gun Drones
3 X Crisis, TL Missiles, Flamers, Bonded, 2 Gun Drones
6 X Fire Warriors
6 X Fire Warriors
10 X Kroot
10 X Kroot
10 X Kroot
2 X Devilfish, SMS, Flechette Dischargers, Targeting array, Fast Shooting upgrade
8 X Pathfinders, Bonded
1 X Piranha, Disruption Pod, Targetting Array, Flechette Discharger
1 X Piranha, Disruption Pod, Targetting Array, Flechette Discharger
1 X Ion Head, Burst Cannons, Fast Shooting Upgrade, Flechette Dischargers
1 X Rail Head, SMS, Fast Shooting Upgrade, Flechette Dischargers
3 X BASS, 2 Shield Drones, Bonded

The flechette dischargers are on because my opponent was tailoring his list to mine and wanted me to go up like 50 points, and that was the easiest thing to do with removing a little bit of other gear.

His List:
1 Hive Tyrant
2 units of 5 warriors with guns
1 unit of 4 warriors sans guns
1 big unit of hormagaunts
2 units of 10 genestealers with a brood lord
1 Carnifex
1 "Mawloc" Okay so it was a tyranid prime or something but I thought it was a mawloc and he wasn't sure how to use it and so I led him astray on it. I did the math though and he probably made out better with it as a mawloc then the prime cause it died too quick.
All his guys have melatbombs or toxin sac things.

Deployment:
Grey is difficult terrain.
Trees are trees.
Black is impassible.
Darker green defines hills.
Red is objectives.
Everything is what it looks like except the orks are really kroot, and the hive tyrant is in the middle on the hill.
Sorry about the Blurriness, I'll do it better next time. I promise!

So I let him choose his side, and I got to deploy first, he went second, and then I got my infiltrators first. This wasn't as key as I would have liked because while I made his genestealers start further back they got a free move out of being able to charge my dudes. In the end I should have moved my guys back first turn. You'll see what I mean. Notice my piranha way out on the left flank though? Thank thing can get where it wants to be in 2 turns. Since my opponent has no tanks and all his guys have melta bombs I could use them as blockers, and that was probably the better idea. But I wanted to see if I could pull him out of position by moving the piranha on the left. He went after it and he had 2 units that were far away from the main force of my army.

My overall game plan was as usual to keep them at arms length. Unlike most armies where this means destroying rhino's I had to destroy the full units themselves that are running at me. His shooting was pretty weak so my main targets were the genestealer's and the Tyrant because I knew that other big bug was coming in my face real quick, and I didn't have enough shooting to down both in a hurry. With flechette discharger's on all my tanks I was willing to take any charges from big units, so the tanks were really road blocks.

My First Turn:
This was about as good as I could want shooting wise, I killed 1 out of 3 targets and really wounded another. In the end though I should have at least pulled back my Kroot and deployed more conservatively with my pathfinders so that they would not be within the 18" bubble of the stealers.

His First Turn:
Oh in case you didn't realize any extra movements like consolidation, and JSJ are being made on the opposing players turn. So when the crisis suits are moving every time that is why.
He's destroyed a lot of my stuff but his right flank is just not going to do anything for the rest of the game. I lost some kroot I shouldn't have needed to. Lesson learned those bugs move fast.

My Second Turn:
Here I remove the wounded threat do a bit of damage to the gene stealer's on the left flank, but my Death Rains open up on the warrior's on the right? Reason is those bugs take a lot to kill and they have no cover save. At this point I am trying to optimize shots used on the best targets rather then dealing with immediate threats, as I might not get a whole heck of a lot of chances to shoot those guys later with quality shots.

His Second Turn:
He really got to me quick with everything. His Mawloc did 4 wounds to the broadside team but since the babysitting shas'el was there only a couple shield drones died. I really think instead of having his warrior's on the right shooting they should be running. Same thing with that Carnifex. If he had done that here I would have been much harder pressed to win. My cousin used to do this to me with his Tyranid's where he'd come in waves. Well he's divided his army for you so all you need to do at that point is just chew up the little bits given to you.

My Third Turn:
Again another case of shoot the threats and then optimize shots. The warriors have a lot wounds so more death rain shots went to them as they were starting to get close, and they couldn't get a bead on the stealer's.

His Third Turn:
I think he was feeling all right because at this point a lot of my dudes have died. The bulk of my army is however cheap dudes. The most expensive unit killed was the path finders. However all the heavy hitters are still around and that's what counts. To take you have to give. It also gives the opponent a feeling that he is winning which is good because that should make the road to your win easier :evil: .

My Fourth Turn:
I wasn't so lucky at shooting this round but whatever. I moved my tank onto the objective giving him an extra round to hit me because I didn't want the tank to get stranded out not near an objective, and I didn't want the carnifex hitting it.

His Fourth Turn:
He did what he could but it was a plan based on hopes and dreams at this point really.

My Fifth turn:
I shot what was left.

Well it's been so long that I have forgotten all the exact details but that is pretty close to accurate. He conceded at the end of my fifth turn.

1st Star: Broadsides, They took out the big bugs Like I needed em to.
2nd Star: Ion Head, Really laid out some hurt on those gants, even though I forgot to shoot with it first turn.
3rd Start: Death Rains, those flamers came in handy.

Dunce cap: Has to go to the kroot today I was too aggressive with them, and I shouldn't have needed to lose them so quick.

It was a really fun game my opponent had tau controlled bugs so we said they went haywire :D. Again there was no real panic anywhere in my plan I only lost guys I could afford to. I think what really decided the game was my opponent is used to larger games where all that wargear is not such a big deal. I have a feeling I was killing some expensive hormagaunts. He also was surprised that I would only have 6 fire warriors in my hammerheads, so my feeling is that this was a first encounter for him which always makes things a little easier on me.

If I could have a do over I would throw my piranha's in a roadblock position. I wouldn't move them to force my opponent through difficult ground. I would make the bugs go around me. It might have been enough to save my path finders for a turn. If I saved them I could have lit up the genestealers and peeled away the cover save, and maybe then I would have been able to kill them 2nd turn which would really have made it a much more one sided affair.

As a side note does move through cover allow you to stay at your own initiative when you charge through difficult terrain? That's how he seemed to think it worked but I'm not so sure. Either way hope you guys liked the read.
Last edited by Draaen on Aug 21 2010 05:53, edited 3 times in total.

Draaen
Shas

Re: My first Battles as Tau Blog Updated(28/6/10)

Post#34 » Aug 09 2010 01:23

So unfortunately I have been unable to really play any more games because of the GT this coming weekend. Instead I have been sitting in my basement plugging away at painting my models. Which for the most part are done. I do have some late nights ahead of me though and I definitely will be posting pictures after the of any cool armies out there, and of my games. All my stuff is packed for the flight so I can't take anything out now but soon my whole army will be done. The GT is in the Seattle are if you are out there at the con and see my army drop by and say hi. For those interessted in going they still have spots there's only like 16 40K players signed up so they're taking walk ins. The website is http://www.conquestgt.com so come out if you didn't know about it, the website was hard to find.

Anyways my list and tactics. It being 2000 points I decided to go with what has been working for me before lots of dudes who have only what they need to work. I have two variants I am not sure which I will play. That will be decided this week during play testing :D.

The Kroot "Heavy" List

Shas' el, Missile Pod, Plasma rifle, Targetting array, Target Lock
2 Shield Drones

3 Fire Knives
2 Gun Drones

3 Fire Knives
2 Gun Drones

3 Crisis Suits, Twin Linked Missile Pods, Flamer
1 Gun Drone

6 Fire Warriors
1 Devil Fish, Disruption Pod

6 Fire Warriors

13 Kroot

14 kroot

2 Piranha's, Fusion Blaster, Disruption Pod, Targetting Array

5 Path Finder's
1 Devil Fish, Disruption Pod

3 BASS, Leader, Bonding Knife, Smart Misssile System, Target Lock on Leader
2 Shield Drones

1 Hammer Head, Ion Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons, Disruption Pod, Multi Tracker

1 Hammer Head, Rail Gun, Smart Missile System,Disruption Pod, Multi Tracker

So that's the Kroot heavy list. I feel kind of naked going into a fight without a good amount of kroot, but I feel that I'm making it a lot easier for my opponents in kill point missions. Especially since I run the piranha's as seperate choices. The tactics going into this are very similair to what I have been using before. Piranha's disrupt, Kroot get in the way, and everything shoots what they are designed for. For the amount of points that I put into the devilfish and the fire warriors already I really wish I would get more of a oomph from them and make them a bit of a threat in a kill point game. The simple solution is to cut out a single Broadside. it would give me enough for 2 fully geared out warfish. Or at least as geared out as I would want them. However I only have 6 answers for a land raider. If I do that I'll be down to 5 and with one good round of shooting they may take out 4 of them with the BASS and piranha's. It's a balancing act I am still trying to figure out.

Well here's what I have left to paint
2 Broadsides - 1 is almost done the other base colours are started.
3 Hoplites - All base colours done, Need to change a head on one my uh conversion wasn't the hottest thing ever.
3 new Crisis suits - These my brother never sent me. They are unassembled and are the reason I am bringing my painted stealth suits lol.
2 Fire Knives - Base colours done, Highlighting started
Some Drones - Base colours started mostly done
2 Smart missile systems, and 2 Burst Cannons - Base colours done.
16 Kroot - Finish some minor detail colours then ink. This will be quick.

Highlighting for me takes a bit of time but with this being my vacation and my brother being ready to paint along side of me it should get done. Hopefully one of us is done early enough to help the other if it looks dicey as to whether we will be done. I'll see about posting some pictures as the week goes by. My Hoplites I was hoping to maybe enter into the tournament but I got another sweet idea to try later Hopefuly it's done on time.

Anyways sorry no battle report, but there will be more to come especially the grudge match between me and that jerk who calls himself my brother. Keep your fingers crossed that all my models make it on the flight safe :fear: .

Draaen
Shas

Post#35 » Aug 21 2010 06:33

So it's taken me a while to get on with this promised tournament report. I'm just tired flying halfway across the country spending late nights and early mornings painting, and then flying across the country back and working out takes something out of you lol. The tournament went so so for me. I was 1-3-1. not the greatest record by any stretch of the imagination. However the game I tied I would have won if it had gone on longer. I also won my bet with my brother and I came in 4th for painting which I was proud of. So I'm here to show off my army, and my brothers as well as give 1 of the battle reports not tournament related.

My Tau as they were at the tournament.

The Hoplites are shown in this picture. Unfortunately the shields weren't done in time for the tournament. I think these guys are my favourite unit in the army. Oh and yes those snow men are my objective markers.

This is just a cool shot but it get's my new death rain suits I converted and painted while I was there. I think I stayed up till 7:30 converting them in one go. Either way I call them death jesters cause they're smiling, although I had to paint out the details that made them look like they were smiling for people to notice lol.

My Brother's Blood Angel's

While certain elements of our armies were all done we definitely have more to work on and finish. All of my crisis suits pretty much need to be finished. But overall I was really happy with the look of my army. It was the first time I saw it all pretty much done together and really made those hours of work worth it. If it were totally done I'd have felt it could have given the first place army a run for it's money. I am slightly biased though. That guys models were really slick you'll see them in the last battle report.

Well I have mixed feelings about the tournament. I had a lot of fun but at the same time I wanted to win but really knew with the amount of games I've played I shouldn't have won.

Well here was my list
1 X Fire Knife El
2 X Shield Drones
3 X Fire Knives, Bonded (Plane Janes)
2 X Gun Drones
3 X Fire Knives, Bonded (Hoplites)
2 X Gun Drones
3 X Crisis Suits, Twin Linked Missile Pods, Flamers, Bonded (Death Jesters)
1 X Gun Drones
6 X Fire Warriors
1 X Devilfish, SMS, Target array, Multi Tracker, Disruption Pod
6 X Fire Warriors
1 X Devilfish, SMS, Target array, Multi Tracker, Disruption Pod
13 X Kroot
13 X Kroot
6 X Path Finders
1 X Piranha, Fusion Blaster, Targetting array, Disruption Pod
1 X Piranha, Fusion Blaster, Targetting array, Disruption Pod
2 X Bass, Bonded
2 X Shield Drones
1 X Ion Head, Disruption Pod, Multi Tracker
1 X Rail Head, Disruption Pod, Multi Tracker

His BA Jump Packs List
2 X Librarians, Shield and spear of sanguinius
2 X Honour guard, 3 Meltas 1 Power Fist 2 of them with storm shields
2 X 5 Vanguard Vets Shields power weapons and melta
3 X 10 Assault Marines 2 Meltas each
2 X Sanguinary Priest, Jump Pack

And I'm still tired so I'll update this later again.

Draaen
Shas

Post#36 » Oct 18 2010 10:25

Okay so it's been a long time. To be honest I was rather burnt out by the amount of time I spent painting those guys in preparation for the tournament. I've done a very minor amount of painting on them but not much. I made the unfortunate mistake of forgetting most of my tau over at my cousins. Which means my tau army is going to look incredibly different when I go out to play with it some more. back to taking what I got rather then what I need. On the plus side of it I've been thinking about how I wanted to start mixing up my other units. I liked having each crisis suit unit being customized so I've decided to start changing up some other aspects of my army. I have 3 projects I wan to start construction on. Kroot Crisis Suits/BASS. I can get a number of these guys as they should be cheap to make and I could run an oshava list with them. Kroot Piranha's and a Kroot Sky Ray/ Devil Fish/ Hammerhead (Modular of course I'm not making 3). The concept is more of a valkyrie boxy look but if you were to add in the sort of jagged protrusions of an orc fortification to make it more of like a flying fortress. the suits will be more like a terran lifter from aliens so that some parts of the kroot will be visible through a cage. I'll probably have to do some cad work for it so when I get around to it I'll post the templates of it up. Bad news is it will take time and I can't post any more pictures up.

My remaining body count

2 Devil Fish
2 Hammer Heads (I have an extra railgun now courtesy of my brother)
20 fire warriors
1 Piranha (Unpainted Sadly)
5 Crisis Suits
3 Broadsides
1 Kroot Shaper (Maybe I could use him as an ethereal lol)
Oh and no drones. So a pretty sweet handicap.

Anticipated "Reinforcements"
5 Kroot Piranha (always wanted to be able to run 5 just it's darn expensive)
8 Kroot Suits (1 will have to be an oshava conversion)
3 Kroot Broadsides (They'll be in the terran suits but heavier armour, and will only have one railgun that will have higher rate of fire, and be held more like a sniper rifle.)

Obviously it will have to be more of a static list but hey it's what I got and it will be some cool fun conversions. When they get fully painted though.. I dunno lol. On the plus side I get all that and for only buying 2 boxes of kroot and putting in a little bit of elbow grease. As well as some tubing and plasticard.

So without further ado a quick synopsis of all of my GT games as at this point I can't remember much more then details.

My 1st game was against a space wolves player who was really a nice guy lots of fun to play against.
Battle: 1
his list
1 Rune Priest - Bike, Jaws and some Storm power
1 Wolf Lord - In raider with a big unit of marines
1 special character dread that acts as an objective when he dies
1 Lone wolf - Terminator Armour, Thunder Hammer, Shield
1 Land Raider
10 marines - rhino
10 marines - rhino
15 marines - in land raider with lord
5 - Devastators 3 Las 2 Heavy Bolter
5 - Scouts

I deployed in the bottom right corner, he got the top left and I went first. My kroot ended up in the big freaking house in the centre and infiltrated behind the rock outcroppin in the bottom left. The path finders infiltrated behind the rock outcroppings in the top right. In my corner I had the broadsides on the left with the commanders squad behind the ion head, followed by the pathfinders devilfish with a unit of fire warriors. Then out in the open was the rail head with the hoplites behind it with the last devilfish with the deathrains behind that on the highest part of my deployment corner.

He put his raider right up as close to the middle structure as possible with his dread and priest behind it and then the 2 rhinos directly behind them with the lone wolf beside the priest. The devastator squad took up shop in front of his rock outcropping. The scouts outflanked. I won the roll and went first. I realized my first mistake. I've made it so none of his dudes are in range of my guns. Stuff shoots at what it can but the important land raider shrugs off all the shots and the kroot fail to wound the priest on bike. I ran my piranha up the centre to block his raider moving on top of the building. this ended up being my second mistake as his lone wolf rolled 6" for his move through cover roll, and then another 6" on his charge barely making it in. So much for it meltaing the raider. His rhinos stay back and pop smoke. Dread moves forward and the land raider goes around the top halk of the board. Mistake number 1 on my part really as now I have no rail gun but my hammer head to shoot at the raider. The piranha gets stunned not much else. Oh and the kroot start getting blasted by some storm and if they move they die more.

After this it really appears to be an exercise in futility I can't take out a raider no matter how hard I try i did kill his command squad. It was a hard way with the dice combined with the fact that I was just really outplayed. I hadn't played with a large centre piece like that. can't say that i was a fan of it but then again I didn't know how to take advantage of it then. Oh just as an example I caused 24 wounds to the lone wolf. He only took one wound and some of those wounds were plasma lol. A good game but a massacre.

Battle: 2

This one I drew my brother which he plays that Blood angels list aforementioned. I've never beaten it and have only drawn it. Now here I have to mention that my brother is newer to the game so he asked me how dawn of war worked. I guess he thought that you decided as your dudes came in whether they deepstriked or not. The miscommunication led me to deploy my kroot in charge range 1st turn of jump packers coming in first turn and well neither of us were happy with the result of the game after that as none wanted to win or lose based on that.

He has 5 dudes in the forest in the middle and 5 dudes on the far right. I have kroot in the ruins on his side and kroot in front of the forest lined out to form a wall. My whole army come on and forms a castle and tries to take up space for all the future deepstrikers. My kroot take down one of the squatting assault marines. Much to my surprise 10 marines and a command squad come off his board edge as he won the roll off. They moved up killed my kroot and then jumped even closer to my lines when they kroot were cut down. I shoot do some majour damage to his command squad and 10 marines. Then his deepstrikers start coming in rather piecemeal. I shoot more of his guys come down he starts breaking down my walls. It was pretty much that for the whole game until at the last turn i left a small gap in my fortress. He jumped in and took out my crisis suits and the game was lost. This game wasn't too much fun as I really don't know what to do differently. I can't be crying about bad dice rolls forever. Maybe I need to move but with the accurate deepstriking and resiliency of his units, plus like 4 or 5 FNP bubbles, and the fgact that 5 assault marines can kill almost any unit in my army it's tough. Either way I manned up shook his head and still whine about the kroot slingshot to this day. :)

Battle: 3

This was when I started taking pictures of the battles. Nice eh?
His army was essentially a scout army. I won't go into too much more detail as with 2 pie plates and what 13 missile pods this game was just a bad match up for him. He did give me trouble with his terminators, and if he had run them through the forest rather then trying to deal with the piranha's that were stalling it I would have been in more trouble. Although I feel I was doing a good job of running away from it anyways. Objective was kill points btw.

Battle: 4
this was against orks this was kind of a scary army to play against tbh.
2 big units of nob bikers one had a warboss in it.
1 unit of 10 Nobz in trukk
30 fighty Orcs
30 shooty orcs
2 Orc Dreads

Deployment as such
The big building on the bottom left is hiding a nob biker unit.
There are 3 objectives one in the bottom left corner one in the top right one in the middle.
My Broadsides finally managed to actually totally destroy an AV 14 vehicle. I jumped for joy. but not before they got a move in the trukk. Basically the game went down as such. I shot at the nob unit with the orc warboss to no avail but managed to hold it off for 3 turns with my piranha's. the second ork bike unit was also similarily held up, and I destroyed the nob unit after I blew it out of the trukk they were in. I was actually in contention but mismanagement of my devilfish meant that the last turn attempt to take the middle objective and pie plate his fighty orks didn't work. So I lost. I also learned that bikes can't go up onto roofs of buildings. if I had known that. Man he would have had a harder game on that board. But I learned and at this point I knew I wasn't in contention to win the tournament so learning is a good enough consolation prize. Well that and beating my brother in the bet we made on who would do better then the other.

Battle: 5
The last game me and my brother have a tied record pretty much but he has a slight edge in points so it was crucial to win. Especially since he was playing an all dread list with a multa heavy jumpers list. this was actually my favourite game though, against the one army I wanted to play as it was so well painted. We had quite a few people come by and compliment and watch the game, as they liked both of our armies a lot. Ego +1.

his list is very vague to me
1 command squad of bikers and captain.
like 3 or 4 biker units
10 assault marines
1 Raider with 5 terminators and a named guy inside.

It was 2 objectives one in each of the neutral corners.

Okay so as usual piranha's stalled and everything that could tried to take out the raider. But for the most we shot through the building and did a number on the assault marines. Funnily his attack bike squad in the back right corner fled and rallied only to flee again until they all died every single turn. He tried coming around my right flank but my piranha's slowed down his advance. His unwillingness to move through the cover in the centre made it take forever for him to get to me. As was the case throughout the tournament when it would end up that I needed the game to end for me to win or for the game to go on former to win the game ends early. I think he had 3 bikers left on an objective at the end and I had my unit of firewarriors on the one in the left. Most of my firepower was intact and I had a devil fish ready to swoop in the next turn. I almost tabled him so I count it as a win, but it was a draw. I got the bonus points and called it a day.

In the end my painting scores won me the bet, a fish dinner and beer from my brother so it was a good tournament. Man was I done after that tournament though. I've also realized a couple of play errors and bad habits I was in such as always deploying at the extremities. I'm fast I should deploy close and move back. I have paid a lot for mobility if I don't use it to my advantage I deserve to lose. I also need more games against deep striking opponents and to see how to counter it. There's a way I don't know it. My broadsides being in a single package is detrimental to my game as them and my piranha's are the only way I can deal with raiders. I need to boost up the size of one or the other to be able to compete effectively against anything. Nob bikers are harder to take down then I remember. I need to practice running away from them and baiting them with units I don't mind losing. Hopefully I will be able in my next couple matches to jump on top of a building to stop the bikers from getting to me. A little bit of redemption would be nice. Kroot placement is something else I need to look at. I should try to place my kroot in range of some of my guns so that if people go in to kill the kroot I can shoot them back with some shots that might otherwise not find quite so juicy or easy a target.

I know it's not as in depth or detailed as I normally would like but 5 so rapidly was too daunting to do it all at once so hope you guys enjoyed it.

Oh and before I forget the three stars of the tournament
1st Star: Piranha's - Boy those things were my ace in the hole almost every game
2nd Star: Pathfinders - they were so small they were almost invisible. But for their points the made big returns.
3rd Star: Kroot - they worked great some games they just needed more consistency from me

Dunce hat: Broadsides - Never came through in a clutch moment. Bad dice happen but when it's on a unit as important as this one it hurts... a lot.

Return to “Archival Datacore”