Orks Killed by Tau Drone… News at 11!

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Gobbo
Shas

Orks Killed by Tau Drone… News at 11!

Post#1 » May 25 2010 09:09

So I play in a Small 12 person Kill Teams Tournament. For those who don't know, Kill Teams is from the Battle Missions book and has some fun changes to list building and play. The rules are: 200 points, no HQ or Heavy, 0-2 Troops and 0-1 Elite and 0-1 Fast. The set up is table quarters on 4’ x 4’ tables and after you lose half your figures, you have to make LD tests [at a cumulative –1 after the first] until you fail, at which point you lose. Now, you also get to choose 3 figures and give them each one Universal Special Rule from the W40K Rulebook.

What I took:
Now I normally play Imperial Guard and thought long and hard on this, but I had a Tau Mega-force I traded for and thought about what I could take from that. Long story Short, I took a Piranha with a Flechette Discharger and 3 Stealth suits [one with a Fusion Blaster] and each with a hard-wired drone controller with one Gun Drone. For my Universal Special rules, I took Infiltrate on my Piranha, Tank Hunter on my Fusion gun stealth suit and Stealth on one of the Burst Cannon Suits.

Round 1 – Orks [30 of them]
So my first match up was against a band of 30 ork boyz with a couple of rokkets. The game was my longest of the day and after many rounds of shooting [with mixed success on both sides and one of my Gun Drones making 12 Armor Saves!] the orks popped their “WAAAAAGH!” and engaged me in melee combat. In the next 2 turns my Drones [with no help from the stealth suits] killed off 7 ork boyz. They were bouncing around like a pinball with the orks as the bumpers! Then I failed my first LD test [the ork player made all his and his next one would have been at a -3!] So since all the other players were done, they came over to observe our game and by the end of the game were cheering and laughing. It was a great game and a good start [even with the loss] for the tournament.

Round 2 – Blood Angel [yeah, just the one]
My next match was against a player who brought a Librarian Dreadnaught. Yes, just the one dread with Magna Grapple and psychic powers. So I infiltrated my Piranha behind him and shot him in the back armor with a Str 5 Burst Cannon and Penetrated for a wrecked result. Game! Less than 2 minutes including set up. This was exactly how his first game went with the CSM Raptor dropping a Plasma gun in his rear and popping him in 7.5 minutes. Not a great game, but a win. We did play another game [since we had time] and he immobilized himself on terrain after killing my Fusion gun and I jumped everything else behind him and shot him in the back until he died. I don't think he will use this configuration for a tournament again.

Round 3 – Imperial Guard [Veterans]
My last game was an IG Vet squad with a Chimera and a Lascannon Heavy Weapon Team. This was the most difficult of the games as I lost 4 of my 9 figures and just managed to make him roll LD after dropping him to half on Turn 5 and he rolled an 11. It was a tight game and a lot of fun. Terrain and cover saves were my friend this game!

So, I took “Adept of Mars” [Best Painted] and 3rd place over all. I had a great time and have found I like the Tau. :)

FOR THE GREATER GOOD!

Fi'rios Shi'ur
Por

Re: Orks Killed by Tau Drone… News at 11!

Post#2 » May 25 2010 02:21

Hey Gobbo!

I read this over on your blog earlier, and it sounds like you had a great day :)
I don't know how the Blood Angels player was expecting to cover his rear armour with only one model on the table, but still, nice take down with the Pirahna! It's a shame to hear how the dice gods betrayed you on your leadership test on the first game, but as long as everyone enjoyed it, there isn't much more you can ask for is there :P

You've really piqued my interest in the Kill Teams rule-set now, and it would be a great way for me to get a feel for the Tau while I lack the model count for a full army. Thanks for the informative review!

Fi'rios Shi'ur
Man! The Mars Volta are crazy...

Gobbo
Shas

Post#3 » May 25 2010 02:31

Hey no problem. I started Tau because of kill teams and am really enjoying it. My game group is doing an all Kill Team night athe the local game store [Stonebridge Games in Longmont CO in case anyone is local and wants to make an appearance.

I plan to change my list a bit, I am looking at 5 Stealth suits with Target Lock and a unit of 6 Drones. I am interested to see how they fair. I will make a detailed review of the Kill Teams rule set and let people know how they fair. I just love that we did a 3 Round tournament with a 45 minute lunch break in just under 3 hours. I am looking at running a tournament on Friday night at a local Convention in September. I just have to see if the "convention terrain" will be available to use that evening. I think it could become a Friday night regular event. I can hope anyway. :fear:

xv-8
Shas

Post#4 » May 25 2010 08:12

Its good that you having a good time with the Tau. The new killteam rules and the results you've gotten with your list seem intresting to play and make me want to play a game of killteam.
Thought for the Day: In Tau Empire, dice roll YOU!!

technojunkie
Shas

Post#5 » May 27 2010 11:11

Sounds similar to the old combat patrol scenario. I always wanted to play a game like that, but my gaming group was too scared to face me with less than 500 points :)
The difference between good & great Tau players is ATT

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#6 » May 27 2010 01:31

Moved thread to Field Experience forum.

E.

Return to “Archival Datacore”