Tournament Game 1 - Farsight vs Mech Eldar 1750 & pics

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Tournament Game 1 - Farsight vs Mech Eldar 1750 & pics

Post#1 » Aug 22 2010 05:52

I took my 1750pt Farsight list to the [elg] Counter Attack tournament yesterday, and got in three games against Mech Eldar, Tyranids and all-foot Sisters of Battle. It was definitely the best tournament I have ever been to, and the second game was possibly the best game of 40k I have ever played.

I did fairly well in terms of results, placing a decent 7th with three draws.

The first batrep, complete with plenty of pics and my own commentary, is up on my blog.

http://incunabulum.co.uk/blog/2010/08/22/elg-counter-attack-game-1-farsight-vs-mech-eldar/

Please feel free to leave comments and criticism here or there, and I will post up games 2 and 3 asap.

Sholto

Whitefire
Shova

Re: Tournament Game 1 - Farsight vs Mech Eldar 1750 & pics

Post#2 » Aug 22 2010 07:16

Oh yeah just to mirror what I said on your site ShhhhYour list was illegal :P Pathfinders are 0-1 so yeah I would keep that quiet and the like or apoligise to any concerned parties it is a stupid mistake one I can not wait to have corrected with a new dex Farsight players should not pay to play a gimped army :evil: .

Kaiizen
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 22 2010 09:38

Most people would look at your two 6 man firewarriors and scoff, but as someone who runs farsight pretty regularly I can tell you that this isn't particularly detrimental.

It's all about deployment and forcing your opponent to focus on your heavy hitters. I would highly recommend deep striking Farsight in the future and loading him with potent short range weapons, I usually have 1 or 2 other squads deep strike with him to create a wall of suits down field. It's simple on paper just to ignore him and go for the troops until you realize that I can table you by turn 4 or 5, it doesn't matter what the objective is, if you remove the entire opposing army from the table you automatically win (and in a tournament setting it's a massacre).

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 22 2010 12:13

@Whitefire - yeah, ooops :sad: I had only one squad in my initial list, and now I know why. I don't think it made any difference in any of the three games, as they always shot at the same target and deployed right next to one another. They gave up an extra KP in game 2, actually, which might have cost me the win.

@Kaiizen - I am not a fan of deep striking him. It means I need a crisis shas'vre at +10 points just so I can give him the Positional Relay, and it means I am low on missile pods if I load Farsight up with purely close range shooting. Plus, both the 2nd and 3rd armies I faced had multiple smalll units, who would have loved 683 pts dropping into their midst :) But I might try it the way you suggest in a friendly game and see how it goes. I will need to rework the list for Rapid Fire in October - not just to shrink the PF to just one squad of 8, although that doesn't change the points cost at all - but because one of the missions is all Night Fight, so I will need more BSFs.

EDIT: Farsight is on a dreadnought sized base, since that suits the Forgeworld model he is based on. Just wanted to say that I also did a regular crisis suit-sized base for him and brought that to the tournament, and explained to each opponent that I could swap out the bases if they minded at all. None of them did.

Kaiizen
Shas

Post#5 » Aug 22 2010 05:04

The way I run Farsight wouldn't work with your list. My list doesn't ever include a Positional Relay either because I don't like holding reserves just to keep my deep strikers from coming in. Generally I have pretty good luck with my deep strikers coming in when I need them to.

Also, I don't worry too much about missile pods when I take a farsight retinue because these guys always take plasma/fusion. I generally run 4 suits plus farsight for a staggering 10 plasma and 4 fusion shots, getting side or rear armor with just the plasma alone will obliterate most vehicles. Against enemy infantry they are likely to kill off half a squad before the dust settles (more if I can get markerlight support). Besides that, you seem to have anti-tank covered pretty well overall =).

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Aug 23 2010 03:09

Got a really interesting question from Black Cat on PM:-

Hello Sholto,
I've read your battle rep. It was great, one thing I don't understand is why you didn't include a failsave detonator in your Farsight unite?
I always take one, ok some will say 'it's not a realy tau why to fight' but on the other hand blowing yourself up for the greater good...

I think i would have saved Farsight and friends.
Normaly i just take one extra bodyguard with twin misselpod or twin flamer, failsave detonator and hw targetlock.

It works great against all enemy's,
Eldar isn't allowd to cut you down because there high I
It wil murder orks (also Nobs) (alway's make sure the failsave detonator model is as close to the enemy as possible)
It will allow you a extra turn of 10 plasma shot and 4 fusion blasters against marines

Grtz
Black cat

That's a very interesting suggestion. I have never used a FSD, but I can see how it would have come in useful. Very useful. It disallows Sweeping Advance, S8 hits on the enemy - wow! and they would take partials now as well as a morale check if they lost >25%, Farsight's unit always gets to regroup thanks to the abundant, free bonding knives and they survive to fight another Turn.

Genius :) I'll have one!

By the way, if anyone else wants to comment, criticise, suggest, whatever but cannot post in this thread, just PM me and I will stick it up here.

Sholto

Return to “Archival Datacore”