Tournament Game 3 - Farsight vs Sisters of Battle

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Tournament Game 3 - Farsight vs Sisters of Battle

Post#1 » Aug 25 2010 09:08

He's fired at Fire Dragons and warred with Warriors and now Farsight faced his sternest test yet - defeat the double-digit Faith Point Spam of Chris' Murfett's Sisters of Battle on a burning, smoking hellhole of a deathworld. Yes, it's Game 3 of Counter Attack 2010 and you can read all about it, in words and pictures plus some questionable humour, right here - http://incunabulum.co.uk/blog/2010/08/2 ... of-battle/

As usual, all comments and crit welcome, and PM me if you cannot post in this thread and I will add your comments.

Sholto

Kaiizen
Shas

Re: Tournament Game 3 - Farsight vs Sisters of Battle

Post#2 » Aug 25 2010 10:06

Yeah, tough luck on assaulting those sisters. Next time keep in mind that even dedicated assault units don't like getting mixed up with them because they can keep you stuck in assault for an eternity.

I personally don't assault with Farsight very often. Usually I do it when I already have an overwhelming advantage and I just need to finish a squad off (although in my last game Farsight managed to cleave his way through a sternguard squad and librarian and was still around at the end of the game).

I am actually surprised that you thought you were on the losing side of this match though. While your opponent had 6 scoring troops, they were all foot slogging and relying on short range weaponry. Early on you were literally running circles around them and I dare say with a little luck you could have tabled him. He essentially spent the entire game just trying to get across the board, which gave you a huge advantage.

As for the acts of faith, I find that it helps a little actually if you split up your fire early on, especially if you have low AP weaponry. Force him to burn his faith early and he won't have anything to tie you up with later in the game.

Sholto
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#3 » Aug 25 2010 10:23

Thanks - the advice about Faith Points and forcing the player to burn them is good. I will remember that.

I never felt at risk from his army, just that the mission (combined with my list) made it almost impossible for me to score a win. Did I have enough firepower to table 60+ power armoured models? Not unless I was very lucky with my rolls, and he unlucky with his. Considering the +1 cover and hiding out of line of sight and I would need to get right up in his grill to wipe him out. He would always have a couple of squads left (the other six plus the Seraphim would serve to delay me so I could never close on his home objectives and rapid fire them) to claim two objectives, making a draw almost the best result I could hope for.

So, I decided to have a little fun, and wound up with the draw anyway :)

Kaiizen
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 25 2010 10:39

Fair enough, I always just plan on having fun at tournaments in general because I always have one bad game where I can't roll better than a 2. I usually end up in 3rd or 2nd though because I play for the massacre. Usually though if I don't massacre then I tie =P.

In that particular game though what I meant was that the sisters were really unlikely to ever actually reach your objective, so all you really had to worry about was your opponents objectives. I think one squad actually 'almost' got there but still fell short in the long run. If it had been me I probably would have just dropped the firewarriors on the objectives and then tried to get the devilfish close enough to contest your opponents objectives in turn 5 or 6. It might not have worked out, but you wouldn't have lost much in the attempt.

Overall, looked like a fun game. Any time I face a footslogging army I squeal a little inside because I know that means I'll be removing piles of enemy models from the table.

Return to “Archival Datacore”