RAWSOC's 13-11-10 Apocalypse Event

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Kiten
Shas

RAWSOC's 13-11-10 Apocalypse Event

Post#1 » Nov 21 2010 04:54

The second of the All Day Apocalypse events organized by Cardiff University's RAWSOC society, the game saw two forces of 20000 (twenty thousand) points face each other for the control of a Doomsday Device. Useless to say this was the largest game I've played for now.

For surfing and composition ease, pictures of the event will all be posted as thumbinals. I hope this choice will be appreciated by the readers; if not, let me know, and I will work around it.

Let's start by introducing the two teams to the crowd:

Team Good

Oh snap, I forgot to unequip my disruption pod when they took this picture! I think you'll have to guess who I am then. =P

A collection of Imperial forces with a sidedish of Tau Empire and an icing of Eldar, the good guys got to deploy and go first. Of course I am part of this group, playing with my few figures plus a force which was lent to me by an awesome guy who played with his Khorne Space Marine force with Team Evil in this game.
Outside of my 3000 points force, limited both by a point cap and by the miniatures avaiable (not that I ever complained about it!), Team Good was led by a 7000 points army of Grey Knights, several points of Raven Guard, Space Wolves and Imperial Guard, a small detachment of 500 points of Sisters of Battle, and finally a 2500 points worth of FootDar. Within the force, a Titan class Knight and a Shadowsword towered over the rest of the coalition.

The Grey Knights army. Notice the quantity of assassins, and the 4 Hosts included- which will become one of the most hilarious participants of the battle.

Imperial Guard. Their artillery will become one of the key assets for Team Good, and their sheer numbers will help greatly in defense.

The Raven Guard's mechanized assault was to spearhead the advance onto Team Evil's lines.

The units of the Eldar and of the Sisterhood, ready for battle but also preoccupied of the other's presence.

The Tau cadre hailing from Tau'n and the guest forces from a Tau cadre currently in-training for the sake of participating in the 4th Sphere Expansion. Notice the deep contrast between the sharp white of the main bulk and the codex grey of my miniatures.

The Space Wolves forces being attended by our awesome game judge, who sacrificed himself to the job for our sake. Thank you, Matt!

Team Evil

Short one man, and a little shy, but more than ready for battle! Don't underestimate these guys- they're evil for a good reason.

Chaos, Chaos, and more Chaos! This was a truly fearsome traitor army, lower in model count but as sturdy and nasty as a horde of power armor can get. Supporting them, a small quantity of weird Daemonish beings (count as Tyranids), a raided Baneblade, and a superheavy artillery piece (I think a Minotaur) ready to bring down the pain over the fools who dared to oppose them. I'm not sure about their specific point values; but what I can say is that the Khorne Space Marines were the largets force being fielded. Also note that the Slaanesh Space Marines where being played as Blood Angels.

Load of power armor, part one.

Vehicles detachment. Notice how much red is starting to show.

Load of power armor, part two- the Khorne Revenge. Just look at that Berserker Blob.

The Battlefield

Built with several tables jointed together, this was quite rich in terrain. And tactically interesting at that, especially because the 4 objectives were lined up diagonally across the board, creating interesting clash points for the two armies.

Right side view.

Left side view.

A close up on the Doomsday Device that Team Evil had on their side. Quite fearsome, if you ask me. This also worked as a destructible 5th objective, by the way.

The Battle

Team Evil had a free dormant Doomsday Device (which had a 4+ invulnerable save), which was to be activated on a roll of 6 from the second turn onwards; this roll was set to get a bonus of +1 for every objective the evil faction controlled, and the Device itself counted towards this. So Team Good had to rush the objectives as quickly as possible; if not, the Doomsday Device would activate and start wreacking havoc, with all 5 players from Team Evil rolling on its chart each turn!

Team Good deployed with the most of its infantry on the left, better suited to hold a defending position on the closest objectives to our deploying zone, while most of its armoured forces deployed on the right, ready to cover ground quickly and heading towards the objective already in the Chaos' hands.

And so it was the Tau forces went straight into everyone's sight thanks to their colour scheme.

Team Evil did pretty much the same, with a fearsome armoured assault programmed to strike onto the left flank of Team Good's army.

Despite the huge cluster of tanks, Team Evil had armor spread throughout its whole deployment zone. Scary!

The game started with the first signs of trickery from Team Evil showing under the shape of a giant smoke screen that rendered Team Good right flank's shooting particularly ineffective; but this helped the players get in the right mindset for the rush, and the armoured assault went full-speed ahead towards the target objective. By turn two, said objective started being under siege by a swarm of units, Raven Guard drop pods' units being supported by deep striking Crisis Battlesuits and mounted Fire Warriors.

Tactical situation of the eastern objective, turn 2. Let them try holding that!

Center-east objective was never to meet the threat of Chaos, for the armoured assault of Team Good was too much for them to hold.

In Apocalypse, that many vindicators can be scary. Especially if your fire support is to be directed elsewhere, as Team Evil was to learn.

But like the right flank was rapidly falling into Team Good's control, so was the left flank for Team Evil; the Imperial Guard, supported by the Eldar and by an extremely small quantity of Tau forces, were rapidly falling in a pinch.

At least the Baneblade fell quite early in the game; though it wasn't thanks to the Deep Striking battlesuits from the Tau- they couldn't even penetrate its armour despite being in Melta range with twin-linked Fusion Blasters!

And as the battle raged on, the only things that stayed the same were the overall feelings of the tactical situations; but there was so much going on! Here's a collection of the biggest WOW moments:

This lone Obliterator was unlucky enough to deepstrike too close to an imperial Inquisitor with Mystics and Team Good's Titan; the results were... Well, just look at the picture, and I bet you'll easily guess it right.

The left flank was seeing quite the number of lucky occurrences, in the form of wrecked walkers and weird dice rolls, allowing it to hold for just that bit longer Team Good needed. Notice the melee with Straken involved, which will keep on raging for quite a while thanks to the Stubborn special rule, and several suicide attempts from Khorne Chaos Lords with a daemon sword.

Almost out of the table, but right where they were needed, these two Firestorm Suits allowed my team to forget about the danger of Chaos' artillery.

... What you couldn't have guessed is how they ended up actually killing the darn thing! As some of you may imagine by looking at this picture, they exploded it in melee. Hurray for Tau in Close Combat! The thing was so wrong that the universe decided one of the two suits just had to die to the explosion. I'm not complaining.

What a duel in the eastern objective! It raged on until the very last turn, when the friggin' titan decided it was no match for the Greater Demon it was facing and died horribly (and almost going nuclear about it, at that).

This is how the Doomsday Device objective looked like at the end of the last Good turn. Notice how there is not a single Evil unit next to it? That's how we decided to take an objective out of them. Though the original intention was to destroy the device itself... We fail at penetrating armour 14.

The battle ended on turn 5, after 6 hours of firefights. This is how each objective looked like:

The Eastern Objective was contested. Yes, that is a Daemon Prince. Yes, that's the only thing contesting it against several scoring units from Team Good. Talk about awesome funny!

Center-Western objective. After a whole round of shooting, the Space Puppies are brave enough to keep standing on it- score for Team Good. Also, the center-eastern objective was being sitted on by several Good tanks, like it had always been through the game.

Overview of the Doomsday Device, in the back, and of the Western objective, bottom. No one in the former, only Chaos troops in the latter. One for Team Evil.

Second part of the previous snapshot, actually showing the western objective. Also notice that the Evil forces had finally broken the Imperial Guard&Eldar's defences, and were about to start slammin' onto the center-western objective.

The end result was 2 objectives to 1 for the Good Team. Victory!

Extras

Here's just a collection of pictures unrelated to the battle itself, mostly showcasing models. You'll also find the list I used at the end of this section.

I just love this piece of terrain. Not because it's something special, but because it is so well proportioned for Fire Warriors! I like it so much they actually had me deploy my Fire Warrior Team on it, just to preserve the little diorama I made while waiting for the others to get ready that bit longer. Yes I was exited.

The Armoured Interdiction Cadre I took. These Hammerheads became all the rage of our forces thanks to their fear factor in the final stages of the game, though the command tank was destroyed in turn 3; mobile and with excellent range, they're even more of an interesting asset in Apocalypse Games. Too bad they didn't get a lot of kills overall, just like in the normal games (or at least that's how they usually perform with me if facing power armour).

Shas'o with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker
2x Shas'Vre bodyguards with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HW Multi-Tracker

Shas'o with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Multi-Tracker
2x Shas'Vre bodyguards with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod, Targeting Array, HW Multi-Tracker

2x XV8 Crisis Shas'ui with Plasma Rifle, Missile Pod and Multi-Tracker

2x XV8 Crisis Shas'ui with Burst Cannon, Missile Pod and Multi-Tracker

XV8 Crisis Shas'Vre with Twin-Linked Fusion Blaster, AFP
XV8 Crisis Shas'ui with Twin Linked Fusion Blaster, Flamer

XV8 Crisis Shas'ui with Twin Linked Fusion Blaster, Flamer

6x XV25 Stealth Suit Shas'ui with Targeting Array
2x Fusion Blaster
Team Leader with Fusion Blaster, Markerlight, Hard Wired Target Lock, Hard Wired Multi-Tracker, Hard Wired Drone Controller (2x Marker Drone)

10x Fire Warriors
Devilfish Transport with Disruption Pod and Sensor Spines

10x Fire Warriors

10x Fire Warriors

10x Fire Warriors

9x Fire Warriors

6x Pathfinders

6x Gun Drones

3x Piranhas with Fusion Blaster, Targeting Array, Disruption Pod and Sensor Spines

3x XV88 Broadside Shas'ui with Targeting Array
Team Leader with Hard Wired Target Lock

Armoured Interdiction Cadre
3x Hammerhead Gunship with Railgun, Burst Cannons, Multi-Tracker, Disruption Pod and Sensor Spines

Total Points: 3261
Strategic Asset selected: Remote Drone Network

Hope you had fun reading through the topic!

Kiten
[Kiten's Cadre] Project Log and War Council

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: RAWSOC's 13-11-10 Apocalypse Event

Post#2 » Dec 03 2010 05:48

Is it just me, or is that Slaaneshi demon made out of a Barbie?

Very fun and very interesting read. Sounds like you had a blast.

Return to “Archival Datacore”