AAR: Post battle reflections and unit analysis

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Fokke
Shas'La
Shas'La

AAR: Post battle reflections and unit analysis

Post#1 » Jan 03 2011 11:15

Had a 2250 game this weekend and thought I would post how some of the units performed since I used a kinda nonstandard list. I am not doing a full battle report since this is just to highlight how units performed. I wrote a fiction story based on the battle but as I am still, after however many years, a Saal and not a LA I cannot post it on the fiction board. Game was an objective mission with 5 objectives and standard 12" deployment on the board edge, there was lots of terrain. My opponent was eldar and he had an effective list with
2x8 Banshees w/ exarch and waveserpents
8 firedragons waveserpent
Farseer and x6 council on jetbikes
4x 12 man guardian squads with warlocks. 2 BLs, 2 scatter lasers
Wraithlord
2x 2 Warwalkers with scatter lasers

I fielded a battlesuit heavy list including a lot of Forgeworld units.
Shas'O Ralai
3x XV9s with PIGs
Shas'el with bodyguard all with TL MPs and a flamers, a HWMT and various gear
Heatwave Crisis team x3 TL Flamers, MPs
Bladestorm Crisis Team 2x Plasma rifles, burstcannon, MT. leader with plasma and CIB and MT
Helios 3x Plasma and fusion blasters, MT
Tetras x 2
Pathfinders x6 DF, DP
Hammerhead
FW x7 DF, DP
FW x7
Broadside x 2 and 2 shield drones
Kroot x10 kroot hounds x4

I made a mistake on deployment in putting too much on the field in prep for my DSers and forgetting who I was facing. In hindsight I should have left everything in reserve except the few on one corner and tried for a refused flank which I got anyway.

Shas'o- He did ok, He managed to kill one of the jet bike warlocks at range, jumped back later and put a wound on the avatar, and fought the farseer in hand to hand for 4 combat rounds and only took a wound. They ended the game locked up with neither able to hurt the other. His flying camera put a wound on the fortuned farseer though. This being his first game for me, I still havent figured out how to effectively use him.

Heatwave team- Did excellent and had their DS scatter(even with the PF DF reroll) worked out right, I would have controlled the far right corner and not lost the xv9s. The managed to wipe a guardian squad the turn they DS'd, just not the right one, and immobilized a waveserpent. Not bad for a 123pt squad. definitely will bring them again.

XV9s- They DSd in behind the Wraithlord and in a single volley of their STR4 weapons killed it with 4 rending shots. They then were charged by a guardian squad(which the Heatwave team was supposed to kill on their DS) and over a grinding 5 combat round fight were reduced to one suit with a single wound but killed off the guardians. However the last combat round was on my turn leaving him out in the open for the remaining enemy warwalker to open up on with its scatter lasers. They did their primary mission and even earned their points back, they also made a huge threat in his backfield and forced him to redirect his forces back giving me the left end of the board.

Helios- killed a waveserpent and promptly were killed by the other waveserpent's banshees who then ended camping out on the far side for the rest of the game for some reason to contest that objective if I pulled something off I guess.

Deathrain team- did the final wounds on the Avatar and wiped the last guardian squad holding an objective. They did extremely good. They also killed two seer council bikers.

Kroot- wiped out two guardian squads and then died to combined fire from firedragons and a war walker when they were moving to aid the remaining xv9. They rock and I bring them for every game. Excellent use of 94 points

bladestorms- were in a great position to fire on the seer council, they wiffed and didnt inflict a single wound with all of their weapons thanks to the ++ armor saves on the eldar. They then got wiped by the fire dragons and a bright lance.

Tetras did nothing but draw fire and get blown up.

Game ended in a draw with neither of us having any scoring units left. I had the ShasO locked in battle with the farseer, the Heatwave and the Shas'el units had a wound or two but were fully operational, hammerhead and PF DF were up and moving and aside from the farseer, I had the entire left side of the board under my control. He had a unit of 5 banshees left, their waveserpent, an immobilized WS in the middle of the board, a unit of fire dragons on the far side and a warwalker. I think I would have taken him out given a few more rounds as I had range and heavy firepower left.

AAR Ok- Tetras are out, I need more scoring units so I will drop them and use their points for human auxilaries, either two minimal squads or a bigger squad which will give me more troops(any suggestions? I want to model some and I have available parts). I brought them originally as ML backup for the XV9s which on paper isnt bad, but doesnt work out well in practice, plus with pathfinders and the Shas'Os MLs I think i have that covered. I should have started the PFs farther back in the corner but oh well. They died to the seer council. The Shas'O is ok, I would have prefered to have him with the other 9's squad but silly rules wont let me, even though his personal rules encourage this. Hopefully when he makes it to a real book, something will change to allow him to join battlesuit squads. Broadsides, I don't know what they could have done differently. They did hold up the seer council for three combat rounds and killed a warlock before losing combat and failing a leadership check and running(none died, they just lost a wound). I was very surprised how well the suits held up the seer council in hand to hand combat.

Curious- do the Gundrones from a troop choice devilfish count as troops when it comes to scoring? We had a case where I detached from their devilfish and made an insane attempt to take the objective in a last ditch effort to score. The 5 banshees survived 3 burst cannon and a template, and two burst carbines without losing a model so the effort was a fail, but the theory behind it is solid to me.

Tho'kle
Shas

Re: AAR: Post battle reflections and unit analysis

Post#2 » Jan 03 2011 02:25

Fokke wrote:Curious- do the Gundrones from a troop choice devilfish count as troops when it comes to scoring? We had a case where I detached from their devilfish and made an insane attempt to take the objective in a last ditch effort to score. The 5 banshees survived 3 burst cannon and a template, and two burst carbines without losing a model so the effort was a fail, but the theory behind it is solid to me.

The wargear section specifically says drones from vehicles never count as scoring units (Middle column on page 30 in the Tau Codex).

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Re: AAR: Post battle reflections and unit analysis

Post#3 » Feb 15 2011 12:29

I cannot post it on the fiction board.

As long as the post is a quality post, you could have posted it, and it would've gotten moved to Field Experience or the Library. However, since are a Shas'la, and your Battle Report has been moved to Field Experience, you can now post replies, including your Fluff-style BatRep.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Return to “Archival Datacore”