Campaign Game Bat Rep

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
paidinfull
Shas

Campaign Game Bat Rep

Post#1 » Mar 12 2011 10:45

So last night I played my Tau in an ongoing campaign. One of my planets was being invaded by the Dark Eldar.
My Defenses
HQ
Shas' El - 95
Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, BK, MT, Positional Relay

TROOPS
6x Fire Warrior - 60

6x Fire Warrior - 60

10x Kroot - 130
10x Kroot Hounds

10x Kroot - 130
10x Kroot Hounds

FAST
6x Path Finders - 72
Devil Fish - 85
DP

6x Path Finders - 72
Devil Fish - 85
DP

ELITES
3x Crisis - 160
Missile Pod, Burst Cannon MT, TL w/ BK

3x Crisis - 150
Missile Pod, Burst Cannon MT

3x Crisis - 151
TL w/ BK TL Missile Pod, Flamer

HEAVY
3x Broadsides - 250
TLDR, HWTL, A.S.S

3x Broadsides - 250
TLDR, HWTL, A.S.S

3x Broadsides - 250
TLDR, HWTL, A.S.S
2000pts

The Attacking Forces (this is the basics and I have access to the full campaign but you get the gist)
HQ
The Duke
Lelith

TROOPS
10x Wyches
Agonizer, 2x Gauntlets
1x Raider

10x Wyches
Agonizer, 2x Gauntlets
1x Raider

10x Warriors
Splinter Cannon
1x Raider

10x Warriors
Splinter Cannon
1x Raider

10x Warriors
Splinter Cannon
1x Raider

ELITES
10x Mandrakes

8x Highborn (lelith and duke went here)
4x Splinter Cannon, 2x Blasters (?)
1x Raider

FAST
6x Bikes
2x Blasters, 2x Uber Caltrops

6x Bikes
2x Blasters, 2x Uber Caltrops

HEAVY
1x Fighter

1x Ravager
w/ all dark lances

1x Ravager
w/ all dark lances

As the Dark Eldar Player was the attacker, he chose the mission. He chose the Dark Eldar Battle Mission.
Those of you not familiar with it, it's 4x objectives and table quarters. An objective is placed in the center of each table quarter except for the Dark Eldar players and 1x in the middle of the table. The Dark Eldar player may then deploy Troops + Fast Attack, while the defender can deploy Troops and Heavy. Mission rules: Night Fight. At the end of each player turn, roll a D6. On a 6 Night Fight ends. To start the game on a 2+ the Dark Eldar player goes first. I was permitted by the planetary defenses to field an additional Heavy (within the points obviously) and one of my vehicles was a veteran (a devilfish got +1 BS)

Deployment:
He deploys all of his troops and his 2x units of bikes. I deploy my 3x unit of broadsides in a phalanx behind some trees (every one has a cover save) closest to my board edge. Everything else must start in reserves for us(including my positional relay).
Turn 1:
So my opponent rolls the dice... and of course... rolls a 1. Yay! Well, I march forward a bit... and I mean a bit. Out of 3x SNP rolls the highest roll I got was a 3. I then roll for Night Fight thinking Acute senses will help. Nope. I am unable to roll higher than a 21.

He surges both bikes 36" down either of my flank and pushes forward in a cupping motion with his raiders. The raiders fire at the front rank of Broadsides. I go to ground after a series of shots and end up losing the 2x UI, leaving the team leader. Not so bad... I still theoretically should be able to take out 4 of the raiders...TL BS3, S10 AP1 vs AV10 open top... right? The remnant team leader stays and crouches down.

Reserves:
Everybody but the Deathrain unit and 2x unit of Kroot (what I wanted left in reserve) come in.
Turn 2:
I send 1x unit of pathfinders towards the cover of a building on my left flank and I send the 6x firewarriors towards the rear of the vehicle to embark next turn. The other "pair" go towards the safety of some woods (just out of reach) on the right flank.
The Suits hop up onto a hill to try to drop a couple raiders.
My dice roll for sight, shooting, and to penetrate are abysmal. Combined with the 5++ from the raiders flicker fields the net results are:
1x Wrecked (not exploded, but wrecked, I know... even with +2!) Raider and 1x Stunned Raider (no move or shoot). Yea, it's not looking very good.

His Reserves:
The Fighter, the Mandrakes and both Ravagers show up for him.
Mandrakes promptly come in on my left flank and line up to assault 6x FW. *K-rap. If only I'd left the fish closer so they could have embarked and ran the Pathfinders instead. Pewp a hula hoop. The Heavies all Deep Strike with the Fighter being in the backfield not getting a shot. It wouldn't matter much.
My losses, 1x Broadsides killed. 1x Crisis suit and pin check passed, the 6x FW charged and wiped out by the mandrakes, 1x PF but the unit was forced to go to ground (if I suffer 3 or more wounds early I tend to do this) and the devilfish on the right flank stunned. He moved 1x unit of warriors on to the center objective (from the downed raider) and moved the bikes further down the flanks.

Turn 3:
I use the Relay to keep the 2x Kroot units in reserves and bring on the Deathrain unit. Good thing, because I rolled yet another 2. It was crazy the number of 2's I rolled in this game, absolutely crazy. They are brought in directly behind the Mandrakes to wipe them out from shooting and assault. My shooting is a little better this turn. The fleeing Broadside "chooses" to use SNP, we weren't sure if this was correct or not, but agreed it was okay and he promptly shot down the Ravager on the right flank. FYI I mostly stayed huddled in my table quarter with my shooting elements, trying to stay away from the Wyches. I am able to come on and kill 4x Mandrakes from shooting whom I then promptly charge and beat in HTH 2-0. They break and flee towards their table quarter (mission rule). My shooting is a little better this turn and I am able to destroy a ravager, immobilize the other, and immobilize a raider. I goof and only shoot one element at the wyches (intending on SMSing them) and only manage to kill 4x wyches and they pass both their break and pin checks. *K-rap. Oh, and Night Fight ends. Go me. :)

He is successful on his HQ reserve roll and deep strikes them in a defensive position behind the Warriors on the central objective.
His turn he turbos his bikes over my Deathrain inflicting the caltrop hits, and I roll well, he does 11 wounds and I only lose a single suit.
The bikes shoot at the Devilfish again but don't affect it. His shooting is somehow less effective without night fight, as he rolls poorly and my suits are left mostly unscathed. He attempted to assault the 1x Broadside who was again forced to GTG with 10x wyches but they just barely failed their charge. He moves 1x unit of warriors up to contest the objective protected by the Pathfinders+Fish w/FW.

Turn 4
I bring in a single block of Kroot with the Relay(keeping the last one for late game), on the right flank to promptly assault the advancing warriors in the open and hit the weakened bikes (I tank shocked them he failed a death or glory). My shooting is effective and I explode the HQ Raider killing a bunch of Highborn, enough to force 2x tests (pin/morale). I then immobilize the Fighter, explode the remaining ravager, wreck another raider, and immobilize the last raider, leaving him with 1x mobile raider.
He also positions a Raider with warriors to swoop in and contest/grab. The kroot rock and manage to win combat by 4. Causing the bikes to flee off the board, but the warriors stick around. Good for me! :)

He moves the one mobile Raider back onto the 4th objective in the top left(my left) Quarter. He now has 2x objectives. He sends Lelith towards the Kroot squatting on one objective with the pathfinder and FW/DF back up. Things are getting a little hazy, so I'm going to sum up the turns a bit as the game ends after Turn 5.

The game comes down to the following:
4x Bikes on my flank with 4x tokens (they killed a unit of PF, the deathrain unit, 1x broadside)
3x Wyches w/ 3x tokens (took out 1x broadside, my HQ and a Firestorm Unit)
10x warriors on an objective
10x Wyches pinned on an objective (the kroot shot down their ride)
1x Immobilized Fighter
a handfull of HighBorn w/ duke in no man's land
1x immobilized raider w/ 10x warriors
Lelith running in some wreckage
So he had 1322 VPs left and my opponent had 2 objectives

My forces were depleted to:
1x Devilfish (in a position to finish of the wyches, hurt the bikes, or contest the last objective on the left flank)
1x Firestorm Crisis Suit (to kill either the bikes or the wyches)
6x FW mounted in a Devilfish (to push up on the downed raider)
5x PF near an objective
14x Kroot/hounds on an objective
20x Kroot/Hounds just out of an objective
637 VPs left and only 1 objective.

Sounds like a pretty sad story eh? A loss for the Tau and all... but wait... There's more.

At Turn 3, a friend who had been joking around the whole time asked about the points level. It turns out, I misunderstood about the set up.
My opponent was fielding 2500 and I was only running 2000. We agreed to some rules (kills to and from the extra units didn't count towards the campaign) as I did not have enough models with me to field a legal 2500pt force org.

So, to my fellow Tau commanders, consider the following...
a 500pt handicap
a mission tailored to the Dark Eldar
and an "early" finish

Now add in some bad dice rolling, forgetting about SMS ignoring Night Fight, and forgetting to shoot some units. Still think the Tau don't have what it takes in 5th? :D

Had the game gone to turn 6+, I would have won. My 20x Kroot blob were positioned to rapid fire the 10x wyches on the top left objective and claim it for themselves. The wyches near the last objective would have been finished by the Firestorm + Devilfish I could have pressed into the center to claim the final objective as well with my Fish + FW had the game gone to Turn 7.

Even though the game was a loss and a planet fell the Dark Eldar, to know that had the game gone it's frequent 6x turns I'd have won. I think that speaks volumes to the playability and the advantages of the race.
:crafty:
http://www.ironfistleague.com for games in NOVA/DC!

Return to “Archival Datacore”