The War Host of Formosa

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
J'Kaara Nan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

The War Host of Formosa

Post#1 » Apr 03 2012 06:17

As some of you may know, I have been a Grey Knight player for several years. I have had mixed opinions about the new codex, but lately I've been having an urge to try something that I haven't seen/heard of many others doing.

As those who are familiar with the GK codex, Inquisitor Coteaz allows you to take Henchmen Warbands as troops, and removes the limitation of 1 warband per inquisitor. Now, my game group plays on Wednesday, and I have a 2000 point game planned with a friend, and I'm going to be using a very proxy heavy army in the game to playtest an idea that is a nod back to the old codex, which it was more about DaemonHunters, rather than just the Grey Knights. That means no psycannons, no paladins, no dreadknights, no Kaldor Draigo. The whole army is formed up from the Inquisition, containing no unit selections that are Grey Knights. Here is the list as I've written up.

The War Host of Formosa!-2000 points

-Inquisitor Coteaz w/
-7 Crusaders
-2 Death Cult Assassins
-Land Raider with Multi-Melta, Psybolt Ammo
Unit total- 500

-Ordo Malleus Inquisitor, power armor, Daemonblade w/
-4 Crusaders
-5 Death Cult Assassins
Unit total-448

-Banisher with Eviscerator
-4 Crusaders
-5 Death Cult Assassins
Unit total-430

-6 Warrior Acolyte with plasma guns
-3 Warrior Acolyte with Melta guns
-3 Jokaero Weaponsmith
Unit total-203

-6 Warrior Acolyte with plasma guns
-3 Warrior Acolyte with Melta guns
-3 Jokaero Weaponsmith
Unit total-203

-Vindicare Assassin
Unit total-145

This is the list I've worked up, and I'm pretty confident in how its looking. The only other change I've considered making is cutting a few points and mounting the last two squads in chimera's, which I could even do by dropping the third Landraider and the taking three Chimera. As for the bulk of the army, henchmen warbands have such diversity that it's very easy to create whatever kind of unit you want, and I feel the list has very strong short to mid range firepower, a huge amount of close combat strength and decent staying power. The only thing its lacking in is long range strength, but the Landraiders and Jokaero should make up for that. The assassin, obviously, is one of the most recognizable of the Inquisition units, and he is there for character control more than anything(though I have thought of dropping him and using the points to take more vehicles).

This is the most aggressive list I've probably ever written up, with almost the entire army geared toward being close to the enemy or in assault. There are a good number of power weapons, high initiative attacks and almost everything denies normal armor saves. The biggest worry I have is the lackluster stat line of the infantry and the threat of horde armies. Reason tells me that I should deploy everything far forward and engage as soon as possible.

Anyways, if this game fares well, I intend to playtest it several more times, work out the kinks and then, Gods willing, I'll be doing some saving, trading and begging(joking, joking. I think) to start actually putting it together in non-proxy realness, and turn this thread into a WIP for the army.

Comments/suggestions on any topic are greatly appreciated, and I welcome any advice on the most effective play style and deployment options. Or feel free to tell me how awesome I am for playing Grey Knights without any Grey Knights :crafty: . However, the list is more or less in its final stages(minus the decision about the chimeras) but if you have any suggestions, please deliver them via private message, rather than post them here.

Thanks for reading, and I'll be back tomorrow to write up the battle report!
Enclave of the 7 Swords: 12-5-2

Return to “Archival Datacore”