Battle Report: Tau vs. Space Marines (500pts)

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Cadmus
Shas

Battle Report: Tau vs. Space Marines (500pts)

Post#1 » Jul 18 2012 12:08

Time for a second battle report. Vanilla Space Marines (again) different opponent though. It’s funny, I’ve only played 3 games of 6th and they have all been against Space Marines. Thankfully I have a 2250pt game planned for next week against Orks… should be interesting to say the least.

Anyway, back to the battle report. Only 500pts this time; I found this quite challenging. There seems to be a critical mass you need with Tau to reach optimum effectiveness. At 500 points, an 80pt dumbfish really feels overpriced, and markerlights are pretty much totally unaffordable.

So this is what I ran:
Shas’el, Deathrain with AFP, HWMT, BSF and Shield Drone
Fire Warriors (X6), Fire Warriors (X6), Fire Warriors (X7)
Two Crisis XV8 Deathrains with Flamers as separate monat units.
Broadside with ASS, BSF and Shield Drone

The Marines consisted of three squads of 6’ish Tactical Marines with assorted combi meltas and plasma. His HQ was a captain with a relic blade and storm shield, and there was one Rhino. I really felt I had him out-gunned.

The mission was ‘Crusade’ with four objectives. The deployment was the diagonal Vanguard Strike. I won the roll-off, opted to go second and did not seize the initiative. His Warlord rolled the Personal trait that he was scoring, and my Command trait granted my guys a buff to shooting off anyone within 3” of an objective (both Warlord traits were quite relevant to the mission.)

It was Night Fighting for turn one. The marines moved up. One tactical squad entered some terrane that we designated to have the “mysterious forest” traits. It ended up having a razorwing nest and one of the marines took an unsaved wound (nice!). There wasn’t any shooting (mostly running) nor assaulting as I set up all my guys out of range or with no LOS.

My turn one: Despite having nullified Night Fighting for my big guns with the BSFs, bad rolling resulted in only Stunning and a Weapon Destroyed result on the Rhino, as well as reducing it to just 1HP. All of the Fire Warrior Pulse Rifle hits were deflected by 3+ power armour.

Turn two saw one of the fire warrior units taking 3 wounds from shooting, and by only saving one lead to failing a morale check and falling back off the board. First Blood to the Marines. I really felt the marines were on top of me now after two movement phases and some running. I knew the dreaded assaults would happen next turn. Since the Rhino was nullified and empty the Broadside switched to SMS mode, the AFP template did its job ignoring cover and the sky was filled with twin-linked missiles and rapid fire pulse fire. After the smoke cleared, one tactical squad was reduced to one model, who was falling back, another squad was at half strength, and most importantly, the Captain (failing to Look out Sir! successfully) was dead. We were now tied at 1 point each.

During the next two turns, my Shas’el got assaulted and managed to hold his own. The one remaining model that regrouped from the third tactical squad got picked off by a rail gun shot from the broadside. (Personally I think any enemy model within LOS to witness that should have to take a morale check!) The weaponless Rhino finally got glanced to a wreck, and with turn five coming the surviving Fire Warriors made a run for the objectives.

During turn five, the Shas’el finally lost combat, broke away and 3d6’ed himself off the board. I think another Deathrain died from boltgun fire. Most importantly, I was able to keep the marines off of the objectives with shooting (gotta love new wound allocation removing the closest model). The Fire Warriors continued their dash, and would be in scoring range next turn.
However, that was it for the game. No turn six. There were no “line breakers” as all the action was in the neutral zone. No one was in scoring range, so it was a draw at 1 point each.

Key learnings: without any FireKnives, the 3+ power armour was hard to deal with. I don’t recall having this much trouble with power armour before, but the pulse weaponry, AFP and missiles just couldn’t cut through it. I really don’t feel I was as tactical as I could have been either. I should have been more aggressive with the Fire Warriors to get them into rapid fire range, as they can now move and double tap. I also regret not having a multitracker on the broadside. On such a low point match, it would have been worth the points so that I could dump an armour ignoring slug into the marine squads along with the SMS.

Anyway, as I mentioned before, 2250 point of Orks next week. I’m pretty sure my opponent will be bringing flyers and lots of Nob Bikers. Wish me luck on getting to go first!

‘till then, thanks for reading.
Last edited by Cadmus on Jul 18 2012 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

Sussexlad31
Fio

Re: Battle Report: Tau vs. Space marines (500pts)

Post#2 » Jul 18 2012 01:45

A great Battle Report.

I sometimes wonder if we need a Battle Report Section maybe broken down into different points levels.

Darn those dice I would of thought that Rhino should of been toast and then if I have this right you would of won 2-0.
Here to learn. So any guidance would be great.

O'M'yen'Suam
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Battle Report: Tau vs. Space Marines (500pts)

Post#3 » Jul 18 2012 04:48

A good battle report however one thing, as jet infantry your shas'el should now only have fallen back 2d6" instead of 3d6", unsure if this would have saved him but it's worth remembering :)
Submission is not defeat, submission is victory!!

MrDark12
Shas

Post#4 » Jul 18 2012 11:10

Great battle report, really enjoyed reading it. I agree with you, Pulse rifles and SMS isn't really enough to cut open those tined meals known as space marines, Plasma Rifles are an always for me, just in case the guy decides to be nasty and takes TEQs (i've seen it happen), but glad it was a close game

FenixZero
Shas

Post#5 » Jul 18 2012 11:37

O'M'yen'Suam wrote:A good battle report however one thing, as jet infantry your shas'el should now only have fallen back 2d6" instead of 3d6", unsure if this would have saved him but it's worth remembering :)

I remember reading on the table in the back of the BRB that Jet Pack units fall back 3d6, so I think that this is correct.

im2randomghgh
Shas

Post#6 » Jul 18 2012 11:44

FenixZero wrote:
O'M'yen'Suam wrote:A good battle report however one thing, as jet infantry your shas'el should now only have fallen back 2d6" instead of 3d6", unsure if this would have saved him but it's worth remembering :)

I remember reading on the table in the back of the BRB that Jet Pack units fall back 3d6, so I think that this is correct.

Jump pack moves back 3D6, jet pack moves 2D6
6th edition
W-37
D-5
L-11

Return to “Archival Datacore”