Battle Report: 1.5K Urban Siege by Tyranids

Battles and discussion of tactics from the earliest days of our Academy.
Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Battle Report: 1.5K Urban Siege by Tyranids

Post#1 » Nov 03 2012 11:23

So, I've played a few games and here there since my last batreps 18 months ago, but they've all been my Red Scorpions and mainly in Combat Patrol games; my Tau have sat woefully underused this edition and I've been wanting to fix that. That being said, there was a mini-con here in Albuquerque called Battle in the Bosque and today was supposed to be a two-table affair connected by a bridge with up to four players per side. Well, the gent that was supposed to run it became upset that the organizer wasn't exclusively using his 40K club for all things 40K at the event and canceled out of a fit of pique. So, the four of us that showed up rolled randomly for opponents and threw some dice (at the table, not each other). :P

I ended up with a Tyranid player that brought three lists, and randomly picked one. Turns out it was relatively light on anti-vehicle, but the gent was up for a game and though he was anxious about how his army was going to perform made a game show anyway, and it paid off for him in the end.

=====

So, my list:

Shas'el (100)
-[1 XV8 w/ Plasma, Missile, TA, HW: Multi, HW: BSF]

Shas'el (100)
-[1 XV8 w/ Plasma, Missile, TA, HW: Multi, HW: BSF]

XV8 Team (93)
-[1 XV8 w/ TL: Missile, BSF]
-[1 XV8 w/ TL: Missile, Flamer]

XV8 Team (93)
-[1 XV8 w/ TL: Missile, BSF]
-[1 XV8 w/ TL: Missile, Flamer]

XV15 Stealth Team (160)
-[4 XV15 w/ TA, BC]

Fire Warrior Team (155)
-[6 FW w/ PR]
-[1 DF w/ D-pod, Sensors]

Fire Warrior Team (60)
-[6 FW w/ PR]

Pathfinder Team (168)
-[1 Shas'ui w/ Pulse Carbine, Markerlight, HW: BSF]
-[4 Shas'la w/ PC, ML]
-[1 DF w/ D-pod, Sensors]

Piranha Squadron (90)
-[1 Piranha w/ Fusion, TA, Sensors, Seeker x1]

Hammerhead (145)
-[Ion, Burst Cannon x2, Disruption Pod, Multi-Tracker, Blacksun Filter, Sensor Spines]

Hammerhead (155)
-[Ion, SMS, D-pod, Multi, BSF, Sensors]

XV88 Team (178)
-[1 XV88 w/ Rail, SMS, TmLdr, ASS, HW: BSF, HW: DC + 1 SD, Bonding Knife]
-[1 XV88 w/ Rail, SMS, ASS]

And his list:

Hive Tyrant
-[1 Tyrant w/ Venom Cannon, Bonesword, 2+ save]

Hive Guard
-[3 Hive Guard w/ spike thrower thing that ignores cover]

Hive Guard
-[3 Hive Guard w/ spike thrower thing that ignores cover]

Tervigon
-[1 Tervigon w/ Cluster Spines (name?)]

Tervigon
-[1 Tervigon w/ Cluster Spines (name?)]

Termigaunt Squad
-[A lot of 'gaunts w/ the Assault 3 weapon]

Termigaunt Squad
-[A lot of 'gaunts w/ the Assault 3 weapon]

Carnifex
-[1 Carnifex w/ big Str 10 gun that shoots twice and 2+ armor]

I apologize for the lack of specification about his list, but I do not have access to the newest Tyranid Codex and wouldn't have any idea of what I was looking for if I did. But you get the idea.

Game Setup:
-A relatively urban board, with 35-40% terrain; lots of little stuff for cover saves, and only two big pieces that would provide a lot of cover to monstrous creatures.
-Mission: Big Guns Never Tire (4 objectives)
-Deployment: Pitched Battle
-First Turn: Tau (failed Steal the Initiative roll)
-Result: 6-4 Tyranids

So, it turns out that this list is nicely set up to do damage to bugs. It was designed to play urban whack-a-mole with Chaos and Necrons, but the sheer abundance of Str 7 means that I am admirably capable of dealing with large Tyranids. We did set-up and Warlord traits, which I ended up getting the Princeps of Deceit, used to move one of my Ionheads and set up a bit of an attempted refused flank. It was also night-fight the first turn, giving me a turn of unanswered fire. He spread out in a bit of a skirmish line, stacking a Tervigon and the Carnifex (since both were scoring) on a side with two of the objectives and using the other Tervigon to spawn Termigaunts to continually reinforce another objective while conceding the last to me as it was completely on the other side of the board. On turn one, I took one Tervigon down to two wounds, at which point it promptly retreated, though it rolled doubles after a single drop of 14 Termigaunts and effectively removed itself out of the game. The second game turn I finished it off for First Blood. Over the course of four turns, I systematically reduced his army to smouldering bits of flesh scattered around craters, and he had one squad of Hive Guard, the Carnifex, a wounded second Tervigon, the Tyrant and a few Termigaunts. I was thinking I had it seriously in the bag, and was ready to mop up. It was not to be, however, as he made some very nice rolls and I made some seriously borked rolls. He had one Termigaunt in range of my Warlord and attached elite squad which he shot and caused two wounds on Turn two. I made my Look Out Sir! rolls and fed them back to the second suit, which promptly failed both armour saves and the squad rolled an 11 for leadership. They fell back five inches, and did this for turns three and four. At turn five, they failed again and fell back 11", taking them off the table. Also in turn five, my second squad of suits took a single casualty from the Hive Guard and also decided that it was beer thirty. For once, my XV88's decided to stick around, deciding that since they were scoring, they might as well do something. Like get annihilated by the Hive Tyrant in close combat. Go team.

If anything, my MVP's were the two Ionheads. They obliterated everything they looked at, and caused a massive amount of damage, taking down both Tervigons, putting a wound on the Carnifex and killing an absurd amount of Termigaunts. Those two models by themselves nearly caused the Tyranid player to give up, but he decided to stick it out. After turn four, things swung the other way, and coupled with the loss of my suits, was able to push forward onto an objective and contest it while we both shot the crap out of anything that even looked at the middle of the field.

There are three major mistakes I made in this game: 1) I brought stealth suits. With the two-table game, they were supposed to be a distraction unit, showing up on the enemy's table and unloading BS4 burst cannons into back armor and objective-holding infantry. In this game, they were a liability. I have a fever, and the only prescription is more Deathrain! 2) Not pushing forward earlier. I didn't start seriously pushing until turn five with any of my scoring units, which cost me seriously. I was able to force a tie in primary objectives, but had I pushed forward a bit earlier with my Fire Warriors and their ability to shoot on the move, I likely would have been able to kill his Warlord and possibly even his Carnifex. 3) I forgot that vehicles are no longer denial units unless they are Heavy Support in Big Guns Never Tire. I brought the Piranha as an objective contesting unit for that last turn push, and not only was it not able to contest an objective, it died in his next shooting phase. So pointless.

Game Highlights:
-For starters, I like this list. There are a couple of notes later about modifications to the list, but this list was designed with the intention of hiding behind big power-armoured guys with lots of survivability while I shot the ever-loving crap out of anything that was in range, and I brought lots of range. That being said, it performed rather admirably for not having anyone to hide behind. :)
-Up until Turn 4, I had lost 3 models. One XV8, one shield drone, one Devilfish. That was it. After Turn 4, I had to close for objectives, and by Turn 7, I had lost over 2/3rds of my combat firepower.
-Both XV8 teams with commanders attached (for leadership 9) failed multiple Morale checks and ran off the table after suffering a single casualty. A full 1/3 of my combat power and 2/3 of my XV suits off the table over the course of 3 turns after suffering a single casualty apiece. Grrrrr. :(
-Ionheads in the new edition are obscene. At Str 5 and 7, nine (or seven) shots with markerlight support is just plain silly.
-The ability to generate my own 2+ cover saves at >12" is well-worth the 5 pt upgrade, as is the ability to ignore dangerous terrain for a measly 10 pts.
-Stealth Suits are just as useless in this edition as the last.
-It is immensely satisfying to drop big Tyranids in two turns. :D

List modifications:
-The Piranha and Stealths are out. That frees up 250 points which will likely go towards a third XV88 for a team of three, another 6-man squad of Fire Warriors and a third XV8 Deathrain team, leaving 17 points for me to disburse throughout the army for something. Probably another Pathfinder or maybe even an Ejection System* for my Warlord to give him an extra turn or two on the table if he dies to a shooting attack and prevent my opponent from getting the "kill the warlord" objective.

*Looking at the entry for Ejection System in the codex and double-checking the FAQ, the pilot model that is set down in place of the crisis suit maintains the same profile, which means that despite having no armor save and Toughness three, the pilot is still jet-pack infantry, meaning he can still get the hell out of dodge and can enter a transport vehicle or intact building, giving him some much-needed cover to keep him alive and deny your opponent the Warlord VP.

=====

Anyway, that's all I got. Questions, comments and criticism welcomed as usual.
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Battle Report: 1.5K Urban Siege by Tyranids

Post#2 » Nov 04 2012 07:35

Regarding Ejection Systems, I highly advise against putting him inside a building. The new building rules generate a lot of wounds that simply ignore cover once buildings are even just glanced, and having no armor save is a huge detriment to the commander. Vehicles are the way to go, and yes, the model remains jetpack infantry (something that I noticed after I had already kitbashed my pilot model together unfortunately). That being said, XV8 commanders rarely go down to shooting in my experience. I take the Ejection System combined with the VRT on a Shas'o and I think I have only used the pilot model twice in 15 games (or something like that).

Sa'cea Mont'yr
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#3 » Nov 04 2012 04:50

An excellent point, Ell'ran, and thank you for pointing that out, it was something I hadn't noticed. It's definitely something good to know. :D
Shas'el Sa'cea Cal'Ka Mon'tyr

Amis
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Nov 04 2012 06:20

Oh, wait. If jetpack infantry can enter vehicles...

...sure?...

... well, does that mean we can transport Stealth teams in Devilfish?

If you look at Devilfish entry, it says it cannot transport models in XV battlesuits.

Then if you look at Stealth team entry, there is nowhere, really nowhere written they use XV armour. There is mention of stealth armour, battlesuit, but no XV battlesuit.

If I'm wrong, please let me know!

EDIT:
I don't want to post more offtopic in this thread,so:
When looking at Devilfish put beside Stealth team, indeed that's rather stupid idea. They are just so big they wouldn't even fit through side hatches. Sorry, just a bit of crazy dreaming.
Last edited by Amis on Nov 05 2012 05:44, edited 1 time in total.

MuonNeutrino
Kor

Post#5 » Nov 04 2012 06:32

Amis wrote:Oh, wait. If jetpack infantry can enter vehicles...

...sure?...

... well, does that mean we can transport Stealth teams in Devilfish?

If you look at Devilfish entry, it says it cannot transport models in XV battlesuits.

Then if you look at Stealth team entry, there is nowhere, really nowhere written they use XV armour. There is mention of stealth armour, battlesuit, but no XV battlesuit.

If I'm wrong, please let me know!

It doesn't call stealth armor an XV battlesuit in their rules, however in the little text box right under the unit name it does say "Stealth teams, equipped with XV15 or the slightly larger XV25 Stealthsuits...."

That's not a *rule*, but I'd call it a pretty clear clue that stealths are *supposed* to be considered XV suits. Personally I wouldn't try to make an argument for putting stealths in a devilfish, as to me it feels like ignoring the spirit of the rule to follow its letter.
Astronomy grad student, Gamer, and Procrastination Ace

Tael
Fio'O
Fio'O

Post#6 » Nov 04 2012 07:32

Enjoyed that report/post game review, thanks for writing it up for ATT :)

*Looking at the entry for Ejection System in the codex and double-checking the FAQ, the pilot model that is set down in place of the crisis suit maintains the same profile, which means that despite having no armor save and Toughness three, the pilot is still jet-pack infantry, meaning he can still get the hell out of dodge and can enter a transport vehicle or intact building..

..Now that, has great modelling potential..

Return to “Archival Datacore”