Building for an APOC game

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
Shas'o Vior'La
Shas'Saal

Building for an APOC game

Post#1 » Apr 01 2013 11:14

Greetings, to all my brothers and sisters of ATT. Today, I bring to the table a humble request of opinions as I brief you on a combined campaign soon to be launched to repel unknown forces of conquest. Haha, seriously though hope everyone's having a good day.

I apologize if tis is a bit bulky but I had wanted to give a brief preflight.

My Tau are not overly large. To my entire disposal as of right now my Tau army consists of Two XV-88 (Old ones, pewter ones.) Eight XV-8's. Two XV-8 Commanders. Two Hammerheads. Five Squards of Fire warriors. One squad of Base Kroot. No hounds or ox. Enough gun/shield drones for every possible combination. I have One Shadowsun. Two etheral, one that was formerly known as Aun'Shi, another that was just a standard Etheral carrying a Blade. I have a Full team of XV-15 Stealth Battlesuits. A Single Piranha. I need to have my army ready and at 4000 points strong come May 18th for an apocalypse battle where a friend's Dark Angels, and Another friend's Chaos will take up the fight with my tau as well against three unknown armies. (One of which will almost certainly be Mechanicus.) While they are for the sake of our battle allowing armies of any kind to combine I am VERY unsure as to what to field. I plan on purchasing more but my hesitation lies in how to distribute or accumulate my army. Realizing no points can be displayed in much depth I more or less am asking humbly what suggestions could be heard or even if there is anything to be wary of with new tau as I have yet to place an order for the new Codex. I realize this is a shaky time information wise on new tau but I appreciate the time any have taken to read this.
Last edited by Shas'o Vior'La on Apr 01 2013 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

Arcani
Shas

Re: Building for an APOC game

Post#2 » Apr 01 2013 11:21

Shas'o Vior'La wrote:Greetings, to all my brothers and sisters of ATT. Today, I bring to the table a humble request of opinions as I brief you on a combined campaign soon to be launched to repel unknown forces of conquest. Haha, seriously though hope everyone's having a good day.

I apologize if tis is a bit bulky but I had wanted to give a brief preflight.

My Tau are not overly large. To my entire disposal as of right now my Tau army consists of Two XV-88 (Old ones, pewter ones.) Eight XV-8's. Two XV-8 Commanders. Two Hammerheads. Five Squards of Fire warriors. One squad of Base Kroot. No hounds or ox. Enough gun/shield drones for every possible combination. I have One Shadowsun. Two etheral, one that was formerly known as Aun'Shi, another that was just a standard Etheral carrying a Blade. I have a Full team of XV-15 Stealth Battlesuits. A Single Piranha. I need to have my army ready and at 4000 points strong come May 18th for an apocalypse battle where a friend's Dark Angels, and Another friend's Chaos will take up the fight with my tau as well against three unknown armies. (One of which will almost certainly be Mechanicus.) While they are for the sake of our battle allowing armies of any kind to combine I am VERY unsure as to what to field. I plan on purchasing more but my hesitation lies in how to distribute or accumulate my army. Realizing no points can be displayed in much depth I more or less am asking humbly what suggestions could be heard or even if there is anything to be wary of with new tau as I have yet to place an order for the new Codex. I realize this is a shaky time information wise on new tau but I appreciate the time any have taken to read this.

Please reformat your post into the above style: do not use color extensively, the same goes for italics. They are there to accentuate specific items.
39th Vash'ya Drop Contingent

Shas'o Vior'La
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Apr 01 2013 12:10

Arcani wrote:Please reformat your post into the above style: do not use color extensively, the same goes for italics. They are there to accentuate specific items.

Apologies. An old habit on other forums. I hope it is more suitable now.

Arcani
Shas

Post#4 » Apr 01 2013 12:40

Shas'o Vior'La wrote:One of which will almost certainly be Mechanicus. While they are for the sake of our battle allowing armies of any kind to combine I am VERY unsure as to what to field.

Well, most Apocalypse games are all about tanks. So check these out:
http://chapterhousestudios.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59&product_id=201 (rules are in the description)
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Tau/TAU-AIRCRAFT/TAU-MANTA.html
or just buy more Hammerheads (or flyers or Broadsides).

You will also need infantry for objectives, but 60 Fire Warriors should do it.
39th Vash'ya Drop Contingent

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Apr 01 2013 01:01

A crafty trick I used in several APOC games, was to field all Shas'O.

What do I mean? I mean there is no FOC, so all single monat Shas'O with twin linked plasma and a fusion blaster.

What does this give you? Exceptional BS and mobility, plus deep-strike shinanigans, anti-tank, anti-MC, anti-MEQ/TEQ. Plus, as IC's every single Shas'O is capable of joining into and falling out of 'units' of each other.

Add that to the fact that nearly everything in APOC is designed to dish-out extreme amounts of pain and wipe out whole units... you actually increase your own efficiency while degrading theirs.

A APOC sized Destroyer plate is scary when it hits an army, it's wasted on a lone Shas'O. Scatter about the table intermingled in enemy formations and such, and they can't even bring those weapons to bear.

PLUS, you can avoid a lot of annoying 'Strategic Assets' like Ambush and Snipers by having the suits deploy in teams of two, then splitting them up during their move.

Finally, once you have things in hand, the surviving Shas'O's can all reform into one mega-unit and plow across the field to clean up stragglers.

Obvious you need other supporting elements like Firewarriors. But throw in some of those Hammerhead formations, and you have marker-lights and railguns galore.

Shas'o Vior'La
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Apr 01 2013 01:35

Haha, the manta!!! Ahhh the destroyer of wallets. My pop and I were going to make one out of a light weight wood, and then apply a spray of resin GW has to make it usable. It's taking MONTHS though. That walker...I..never knew we had such in our arsenal!!!

First I would like to thank you both for taking time to reply.

To Arcani.: How effective of an investment would you say the tiger shark is? I was thinking of hammerheads, but with how easy tanks are to take out now I am very hesitant on it. I'm worried having like say..six would be such an easy take down under the fury of say dev squads or Hellhammers.(thunderhammers? Can't remember.)

Nevar.: That is VERY brilliant! That didn't even come to mind!!! How many Shas'O would that equate to though do you think? Having a solid love for battlesuits(As I've probably displayed in the Embrace Change! topic haha.) This seems REALLY appealing. I'm really interested in this now! I've only ever played a single APOC game, and it was three three thousand point armies of Tau,{me} Eldar, and Chaos) Vs Two 4500 armies of Mech marines and White Scars.

Dronton
Shas

Post#7 » Apr 01 2013 01:59

I know that in Apoc games it's pretty much useless to put a lot of points into infantry but if you want to make your fire warriors more effective in their shooting capabilities then I would suggest two or three units of pathfinders. Eight pathfinders shooting marker lights means on average four will hit; apply that to a unit of fire warriors and you get BS5, S5, AP5 and no cover saves. The Devilfish that you have to take with the Pathfinders makes it possible to re-roll your scatter on deep strike within line of sight of the vehicle. I've found that very useful in Apoc games if I'm deep striking in behind super heavies or things that I want to disappear.

Broadside teams with advanced stabilization systems are really good for anti tank and fairly effective against flyers as well thanks to the twin/linked.

In terms of flyers I have no idea about the new GW flyer but I really like my Tiger Shark with the t/l railguns. It packs a heck of a punch at less cost then a Manta. I also got a pair of Remoras and they can be quite annoying to the enemy especially if you can marker position them far behind something, marker light it from the front with your pathfinders and hit it in the rear armor with seeker misiles fired from the Remoras.

Hope this helped. Have fun!
Dronton

Nevar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Apr 01 2013 02:01

I came up with the idea because I didn't have the models to make the 4000 pts per army limit. I was exceptionally short. Luckily Shas'O were extremely expensive. :fear:

My list also included the Firewarrior response cadre or whatever formation allows you to have a bunch of devilfish in reserve to snag points, plus two Hammerhead formations which generate automatic marker-light hits.

My final choice was the marker-light drone network as my Strategic asset which basically generates even MORE automatic markerlight hits, across a large area on the board, which meant my enemies had zero cover saves even when deploying smoke, and my rain of deep-striking Shas'O Monats were landing all over smoking vehicles with point blank melta, before up and zooming round pouring on the plasma.

The key thing here, is that the enemy -will- kill Shas'O's easily. However, everyone has massive firepower designed to ruin large groups, and often as an example, guard players will merge their platoons into huge blobs to keep them on the board. Large units like this will obviously -ruin- a Shas'O, but with their inability to split fire, your enemy will waste and entire platoon of shooting on one suit, or decide to focus on your hammerheads and devilfish instead. Either way they are either killing a few shas'O a turn, or taking pot shots across the board at your vehicles who can engage ate 72" with their railguns. I had 30 Shas'O in my game, six hammerheads, four devilfish (one was pathfinders so I could get the relay beacon for deep-strike re-rolls), two single Broadside monats, and a counts as Tigershark AX-1-0 for Super Heavy killing.

I would -highly- recommend the Tigershark AX-1-0. It single handed knocked two Structure Points off a baneblade in one shot, and then proceeded to ruin countless Tyranid gribblies the rest of the game.

Isaac
Shas

Post#9 » Apr 01 2013 03:22

I had an apocalypse game back in 5th edition, we had 5 people with 2500 points each vs another 5 people with 2500 points each. I spent a day scratch building a manta, i just printed out the top view of a manta to scale, cut it out on cardboard, and just added most of the major features out of more cardboard. The finished manta was not a perfect replica, but it was close enough to the original model and very good for a single days work. That was the best game of 40k I have ever played, it has so much fire power and hardly anything else could scratch it :D
For The Greater Good :fear:

Shas'o Vior'La
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Apr 03 2013 08:13

Hmm. Since we have our lovely new codex here do you think I should spec into anything overly different than I would normally? I suppose, I have this horrible habbit of running the exact same build due to lack of other models.

Return to “Archival Datacore”