1850 hybrid w/ Corsair allies

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

1850 hybrid w/ Corsair allies

Post#1 » Jan 29 2013 01:59

All,

First, a thanks to the mods for starting the Cadre Building section. I think having high level discussions on specific army lists will greatly benefit ATT.

This army list if my first serious attempt at a 6th edition army list. It is also an attempt to incorporate fortifications and allies in a Tau list without comprimising having fire warriors, battlesuits, tanks, and in general, what I like having in my Tau list. The chosen allies are Eldar Corsairs. A discussion on them can be found here.

The general concept behind this list is mech/mobile infantry. In 6th, I think this concept, pioneered by T0nkaTruckDriver, has taken on a new lease on life, especially considering that we can move and fire rapid fire weapons at 30" (one shot). Pulse rifles are even more desirable now than ever before, so I wanted some on the board at all times.

The list is also designed to compensate for the lack of AA firepower in the Tau list.

HQ - Shas'o Commander: 142 pts
1x Shas'o; Plasma Rifle; Fusion Blaster; Multi-tracker; Hard-wired Drone Controller; 2 Shield Drones

HQ [Allied] - Void Dreamer: 70 pts
1x Void Dreamer

Elites - Crisis Team: 182 pts
1x Shas'ui; TL Fusion Blaster; Drone Controller; 1 Shield Drone
2x Shas'ui; Plasma Rifle; Fusion Blaster; Multi-tracker

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 120 pts
12x Shas'la

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 120 pts
12x Shas'la

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 205 pts
12x Shas'la
1x Devilfish; Disruption pod

Troops [Allied] - Corsair Jetbike Squadron: 170 pts
2x Jetbiker; Shuriken Cannon
4x Jetbiker

Fast Attack - Tetra Squadron: 120 pts
1x Tetra; Targeting Array; Blacksun Filter
1x Tetra; Targeting Array; Target Lock

Heavy Support - Broadside Team: 260 pts
1x Shas'ui; Drone Controller; 2 Shield Drones
2x Shas'ui; Targeting Array

Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship: 180 pts
1x Hammerhead; Railgun; Smart Missile System; Multi-tracker; Disruption Pod; Target Lock

Heavy Support [Allied] - Corsair Firestorm: 180 pts
1x Firestorm

Fortifications - Aegis Defense Lines: 100
1x Aegis Defense Lines; Quad-gun

Total: 1849 points

As stated before, this list is an attempt to use allies, fortifications and protect against flyers. It is also intended as a take-all-comers list.

Note on my allies: My gaming group is fine (in fact loves) using Forge World material. The Corsairs are from Imperial Armour 11: The Doom of Mymeara. Corsair Jetbikes are BS 4 Eldar jetbikes with Scouts. Corsair Firestorms are BS 4 Firestorms. The Void Dreamer is primarily taken because of its 12", D6 shot (auto hits) shooting attack that is AP 2 and Str 6 vs T 4 targets. It also has minor useability against tanks.

The general idea is to use the Broadsides and the Aegis lines as the rock of the army. The Broadsides can fire their railguns in my shooting phase and are then allowed to use the quad-gun when enemy reserves appear. The quad-gun also acts as extra anti-light vehicle firepower if its needed. However, the quad-gun is the complement to the Firestorm, which is the primary AA platform.

The Commander and Crisis Suits will act as a single unit, who's purpose is to hunt down the tougher targets of the enemy. I've chosen to give one Shas'ui a TL fusion blaster because I've found that having a more reliable melta is actually very useful, especially given certain units such as Nobz, Paladins. It also is an added tool to deal with vehicles if my other anti-tank is overtaxed.

The Hammerhead and Fire Warriors are primarily anti-infantry, though the Hammerhead is AT in a pinch. The Void Dreamer goes with a Fire Warrior Team on foot (can't put allied ICs in a transport), essentially acting as a rather powerful special weapon (he doesn't need to roll to hit). I'm using it to also try and use (and abuse) how wounds are now allocated.

Also, I don't take Shas'uis in 6th edition because I don't see the need anymore. We can always fire once at 30", and we can regroup until only 2 models are left. And regrouping restrictions are gone. Granted, we can only Snap Shot while Falling Back or after regrouping, but I've always been more concerned about keeping Fire Warriors in the fight as scoring units, rather than as the main way of killing things. Is this a mistake in 6th?

The Devilfish will be using the Sea Turtle tactic to cover the advance of the foot bound infantry. The embarked Fire Warriors only get out if they absolutely must (generally when their tank dies).

Tetras are Markerlight support. Even though a significant portion of the army is non-Tau, the army still has Broadsides and Crisis suits, which will always benefit from Markerlights. I also recommend the given configuration to all those who use Tetras. It maximizes not only their use (can split fire with the heavy markerlights) but both have the Night Vision rule for the occurances where the mission has Night Fighting, allowing your army to work well during the night.

FInally, the Jetbikes either accompany the Crisis suits as extra anti-infantry support or they outflank to capture a hidden objective. What they do is dependent the circumstances of each game.

That's more or less my outline. Are there threats I haven't accounted for enough? Could it deal with fast, assault orientated force? Are the allies worth it or should I take more Tau? Do Fire Warriors need Shas'ui (and bonding knives) in 6th? Should I take an Icarus lascannon vs the Quad-gun? Should I give the Void Dreamer a jetpack to go with the Crisis suits?

Cheers!

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: 1850 hybrid w/ Corsair allies

Post#2 » Jan 29 2013 02:58

Do Fire Warriors need Shas'ui (and bonding knives) in 6th?

In regards to Shas'ui, I am of the opinion of yes, but that might be just me. Even if they are in vehicles I'll almost always take a Shas'ui (for pinning/single EMP grenade (although I'm still experimenting with the latter)). I personally am not a fan of snapping shots with a pulse rifle, even if it is at 30". You said it yourself: "Pulse rifles are even more desirable now than ever before, so I wanted some on the board at all times." Part of keeping them on the board is giving them a unit leader so they don't run away (as often). The only times I don't bring a Shas'ui is when Shadowsun is present, but that's been much more rare since 6th edition came out.

As for the Bonding Knives, leave them on their ceremonial rack where they belong. Unless you have a specific (or fluffy) use for them, then you are probably better off spending the points elsewhere.

RE: Markerlights
Do they grant Night Vision now? Or do they still allow you to ignore Night Fight as per codex? I wouldn't know because I prefer the use of Blacksun Filters.

CommanderStormDrain
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 29 2013 03:39

Hello ShasoCastris!
Should I give the Void Dreamer a jetpack to go with the Crisis suits?

I think this depends on wether you want the Void Dreamer to have an offensive or defensive role in your army. Having him footslog it with the Fire Warriors, while potentially increasing his survivability (meatshields and all) might make it hard for him to target things with that 12" weapon of his. If you're using him to defend your own board edge, this is probably fine; he can help them protect an objective, deny Line Breaker, and so on. If you'd rather have him take the fight to the enemy, it would behoove you, I think, to put him with the Crisis Suits considering they already contain weapons requiring you to be within 12" of a target.

I tend not to give my Fire Warriors anything, but I take upwards of 6 squads in the new addition, so I don't really have to worry about not having enough left at the end of the game. Considering you only have three Fire Warrior Teams (3 of your 4 scoring units) in this list, I would suggest using some of your leftover points to at least upgrade the dismounted Teams. You may also want to invest in Black Sun Filters for those Teams, as they potentially give you a 'free' round of shooting. It would be especially wise to take BSF's if you're facing a Necron player whom you know uses Imotek. Something like that justifies shelling out for the Shas'Ui in my opinion.

Are the allies worth it or should I take more Tau?

I think these allies are most certainly worth it, considering the way you plan on using them. They do indeed add much need AA support to a Tau Army, and those Bikes provide a very mobile scoring unit; something else that our Codex lacks.

Just the two cents of a lowly Shas'Saal. :D

Medalion
Fio

Post#4 » Jan 29 2013 04:21

From my own experience, and discussions I've had with others in my gaming circle, the quad-gun probably isn't worth it, at least against fliers. If you're using it for other things, then it could be useful, not sure. Against fliers, it doesn't seem to perform very well, mostly because it can't really punch through their armor. You may be able to get some hits in against them, but usually you'll just end up taking out a few hull points at best, since you'd need a penetrating hit (a 6 against most things), and then a 5 or 6 to actually take it out. With how easily fliers can move around and even leave the board, it's tough to get in multiple good attacks.

If you still want to take a weapon with your Aegis, I'd advise the Icarus Lascannon instead. Much more powerful, nice AP, extreme range, and it's even 15 points cheaper.
Science for the Science God! Math for the Math Throne!

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Jan 29 2013 07:05

Ell'ran wrote:

In regards to Shas'ui, I am of the opinion of yes, but that might be just me.

RE: Markerlights
Do they grant Night Vision now? Or do they still allow you to ignore Night Fight as per codex? I wouldn't know because I prefer the use of Blacksun Filters.

I may then lose a shield drone from the commander and the target lock from the Hammerhead. That's points for two Shas'ui. (The third FW team has the Void Dreamer).

As for Markerlights, you can use a token to ignore Night Fight. That's always been a rule.

@Shas'Saal - CommanderStormDrain: The Blacksun Filters are another argument for Shas'ui on the fire warrior teams. I have to find the pts though...

Medalion wrote:If you still want to take a weapon with your Aegis, I'd advise the Icarus Lascannon instead. Much more powerful, nice AP, extreme range, and it's even 15 points cheaper.

Should I just not take the Aegis? And what of the Firestorm? It will face the same problems. It's only Str 6 (6 shots though). Vs a Vendetta, that's only a hull point... Hmm...

Perhaps an Allied Nightwing instead...? The main reason I didn't do that in the first place is that I wanted Interceptor. I wanted to get a chance to shoot the enemy before they shot at me. Thus the quad-gun and Firestorm. Have people found this to be not worth it?

Cheers!

Medalion
Fio

Post#6 » Jan 30 2013 11:46

If you're planning on using it for interceptor purposes, it probably would be a better choice than the Icarus. Haven't really done much with that aspect of it, so not too sure. Main concern would be that with a 48" range, you may not be able to use it that often unless the enemy is outflanking or deepstriking. Against most things that would be coming in like that though, it would make a very nice deterrent. As for the Aegis itself, a 4+ cover save in whatever spot you want it is always handy. If you're going with a more mobile focus, you may not get much use out of it though, as your guys probably won't be near it too often.

Not very familiar with the capabilities of the Firestorm, so not sure I can give much advice there. I'm still trying to figure out an efficient way of dealing with flyers.
Science for the Science God! Math for the Math Throne!

Return to “Archival Datacore”