1850 Tau + Eldar Allies: TAC Tournament Build

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
Thieus
Shas

1850 Tau + Eldar Allies: TAC Tournament Build

Post#1 » Jan 30 2013 11:36

Thank you all for taking the time read my post. While I have read the primers, please let me know if this post is not up to ATT’s quality standards, and I will be happy to edit or remove it.

This is a 1850 point list built as a TAC, tournament list. I am submitting this list for ATT’s review, asking that you help identify it’s weaknesses, and suggest improvements.

With this list, my play style is essentially static. I set up a fire base typically spread out behind the Aegis line, and in available cover. I do have some mobile infantry, and limited deep strike capabilities.

Games in which I have fielded this list have been using full 6th edition rules (e.g. Mysterious Terrain, Mysterious Objectives, randomized terrain using a D3).

1850 Tau + Eldar allies
By: Thieus

HQ - Shas’O Commander: 106 points
Twin Linked Missile Pod, Black Sun Filter, Stimulant Injector
Warlord: Rolling on Strategic Table

Elites - XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 43 points
Twin Linked Flamer, Fusion Blaster

Elites - XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 43 points
Twin Linked Flamer, Fusion Blaster

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 60 points
6 x Fire Warriors with Pulse Rifles

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 60 points

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 145 points
Devilfish: Burst Cannon, Gun Drones, Disruption Pod

Fast Attack - Tetra: 60 points
Blacksun Filter, Targeting Array (Note: Tetras are equipped with a Disruption Pod standard)

Blacksun Filter, Targeting Array

Blacksun Filter, Targeting Array

Heavy Support - XV88 Broadside: 238 points
Team Leader: Hard Wired Blacksun Filter, Hard Wired Target Lock, Multi-Tracker
XV88 Battlesuit x 2 : Multi-Tracker

Heavy Support - XV88 Broadside Team: 238 points
Team Leader: Hard Wired Blacksun Filter, Hard Wired Target Lock, Multi-Tracker
XV88 Battlesuit x 2 : Multi-Tracker

Heavy Support - Hammerhead Gunship (Imperial Armor Configuration): 120 points
Twin Linked Plasma Cannon, Burst Cannon X 2, Disruption Pod

Allies:

HQ - Farseer: 160 points
Runes of Warding, Runes of Witnessing, Spirit Stones
Physic Powers X 3 – Roll on the Divination Table

Troops - Dire Avengers: 175 points
Wave Serpent: TL Scatter Lasers

Heavy Support – War Walker Squadron: 180 points
War Walker X 3 with Scatter Laser X 2

Fortification – Aegis Defense Lines: 100 points
Gun Emplacement: Quad Gun

Total: 1848 points

Some notes about specific units:

The Shas’O, and Farseer attach to the XV88 squads. When possible I place the HQ's out of line of sight, but still within range to be attached. This allows for higher leadership values when then Broadsides inevitably need to roll due to removal of a model.

The Crisis suits are used in a deep striking role, typically clearing a scoring unit off of a remote objective. They can also be tasked with killing armor which is out of Line Of Site to the XV88’s; when possible, markerlight support will be applied. The suits are typically deployed in an aggressive manner, leveraging the Tetra’s Marker Beacon to re-roll the deep strike dice as needed.

Dismounted Fire Warriors are deployed in cover, on, or near an objective. The mounted Fire Warriors are typically kept in walk on reserve, but are deployed, depending as needs dictate (e.g. horde armies).

Early game, the Tetras are used as a force multiplier for the XV88’s. For high AV vehicles, at full team of Broadsides with Tetra support are used. The split fire function is used when targeting lower AV vehicles, with one Tetra targeting the Team Leader’s target. As with all vehicles, the Tetras always move, taking full advantage of the Disruptions Pods. As needed, the Tetras are tasked to target units threatening the fire base.

The XV88’s target armor, and high value targets. When the fire base is threatened, they are tasked with applying overwhelming firepower, leveraging both their Rail Guns, and Smart Missile Systems. XV88’s targets are usually priority targets for the Tetras. The XV88’s tertiary roll is anti-air.

The Hammerhead functions as the vanguard of the Cadre, sitting out front and absorbing as many shots as possible. I leverage its AV13 front armor, with the Disruption Pod to create a very hard to kill target. It screens for the Tetras and War Walkers as needed, and can be used in an anti-air roll as needed.

The Farseer takes the Primaris Divination power (re-rolling hits), in addition to the two best powers rolled on the table. The War Walker Squadron deploys within range of the Farseer and is targeted with the Primaris power as long as possible. The runes taken by the Farseer are for psychic defense and security in my psychic power rolls.

The Dire Avengers typically stay mounted in the Wave Serpent. As a fast transport, the Wave Serpent will move to remote objectives, using its Scatter Lasers on opportunistic targets.

The War Walkers provide volume of fire. They will typically hang back, screened by terrain, the Aegis line, and other vehicles, and remain in range of the Farseer. Their primary role varies dependent on the opposing army, but typically will target opposing hard targets (e.g. 2+ save units), fast movers, Monstrous Creatures, or blobs. They can also be used for additional anti-air support.

The Aegis line provides hard cover, and the most reliable anti-air support available.

Combat notes:
I cannot emphasize enough the power of force multiplication brought to the table by the Tetras. Smart opponents target these ahead of all other units (including the XV88’s). The ability to field 4, BS4 markerlight shots, with a 3+ save in truly invaluable.

The addition of the Farseer, and War Walkers has vastly improved the combat effectiveness of the list. The 24 shots coming from the War Walkers is a viable threat against any unit in the game, especially when they can re-roll hits. The Farseer provides the best psychic defense in the game, and can provide a higher leadership to the XV88’s.

While not required, this list functions best in an alpha strike roll. When going second, I typically turtle up behind the Aegis, Hammerhead, and all available cover, the then spread out to get firing lanes in my movement phase.

Known weaknesses:
Deep striking armies like Deamons are very effective against this list. Flying (swooping) monstrous creatures can also cause problems, as they can require a large amount of shots to ground and kill, allowing follow on units to get close without taking as much damage. In the case of an entire fast moving army, first turn is very beneficial, though I have still had some success going second.

I have tested, and am still considering an Advanced Stabilization System on my Shas’O, allowing me to confer Slow and Purposeful to the XV88 team to which he is attached. While not opposed to drones, I don’t personally care for ablative wounds, as this lowers the number of guns on the field. That said, if someone feels they are worth a play test, I’ll be happy to try them out.

This is very much a “shoot you to pieces, before you get to me” style list. I have found modest to good success with this play style, and it is very much one I enjoy playing. Given that, I would be opposed to attempting to transform this into another play style. I hope that is not too restrictive a constraint.

Any and all feedback from the ATT community is greatly appreciated!

Thank you all again for taking the time to review my post.

Edit: Adjusted to the points cost on the Farseer from 120 to 160. Transcription error from my printed list.
Last edited by Thieus on Jan 31 2013 10:19, edited 1 time in total.

Shas'o Rama
Shas

Re: 1850 Tau + Eldar Allies: TAC Tournament Build

Post#2 » Jan 31 2013 02:32

This list actually comes out to 1808 points, (with no accounting for the 50 point quad-gun)

1- You don't need blacksun filters on tetras- nightfight gives a cover save and you don't get one against markerlights ( your hammerhead could use one though )
2- your Farseer- if he has 3 powers you have to pay for them, and the cheapest 3 power build with all the kit you listed comes to 160 points
3- min sized units without shas'ui or exarch will die or run away easily, depending on the mission this build could be beaten simply by wiping out your scoring units

These are the things that came to mind on 1st read of the list :)

THT-Shadow
Shas

Post#3 » Jan 31 2013 03:54

Shas'o Rama wrote:2- your Farseer- if he has 3 powers you have to pay for them, and the cheapest 3 power build with all the kit you listed comes to 160 points

He will roll the new psy power tables, which are free, as opposed to the codex powers which have to be paid for.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jan 31 2013 08:22

THT-Shadow wrote:
Shas'o Rama wrote:2- your Farseer- if he has 3 powers you have to pay for them, and the cheapest 3 power build with all the kit you listed comes to 160 points

He will roll the new psy power tables, which are free, as opposed to the codex powers which have to be paid for.

That's not how the powers in the back of the rulebook work.
The Psyker's codex will usually state how many psychic powers the Psyker has.

From the Eldar codex:
A Farseer must buy between one and four Farseer Psychic powers ...

So you still need to purchase the original powers, THEN transfer them to Diviniation powers.

Cheers!

THT-Shadow
Shas

Post#5 » Jan 31 2013 08:47

As per FAQ:

"A Farseer may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40000 rulebook, instead of those in Codex: Eldar. If he does so, for each psychic power he has purchased form Codex: Eldar, generate a new power from either the Divination or Telepathy discipline..."

As stupid as it sounds to me, my bad for my previous statement which was wrong.
Only plus side, seen that Divination has some nice powers (which affect allies, as opposed to Codex powers which just go for Eldars), if you buy four you can roll four.

Thieus
Shas

Post#6 » Jan 31 2013 10:06

Shas'o Rama wrote:This list actually comes out to 1808 points, (with no accounting for the 50 point quad-gun)

1- You don't need blacksun filters on tetras- nightfight gives a cover save and you don't get one against markerlights ( your hammerhead could use one though )
You are correct on my math. I will review this evening and see where my error is.

I have also included Spirit Stones to cast two powers per turn, as well as both set of Runes. Again, I'll double check my math.

Shas'o Rama wrote:3- min sized units without shas'ui or exarch will die or run away easily, depending on the mission this build could be beaten simply by wiping out your scoring units

You are correct. I typically only field minimum sized troop units. In your experience is it more effective to add additional models, or include a Shas'Ui? I would not mind trying out a couple of trial games to see if it is more effective.

Shas'o Rama wrote:These are the things that came to mind on 1st read of the list :)

That you for the feedback, and the catching my math error(s).

Edit: Nice catch on the updated Night Fighting rules. I will update the Tetras accordingly.
Last edited by Thieus on Jan 31 2013 10:39, edited 1 time in total.

Thieus
Shas

Post#7 » Jan 31 2013 10:10

THT-Shadow wrote:As per FAQ:

"A Farseer may use the psychic disciplines found in the Warhammer 40000 rulebook, instead of those in Codex: Eldar. If he does so, for each psychic power he has purchased form Codex: Eldar, generate a new power from either the Divination or Telepathy discipline..."

As stupid as it sounds to me, my bad for my previous statement which was wrong.
Only plus side, seen that Divination has some nice powers (which affect allies, as opposed to Codex powers which just go for Eldars), if you buy four you can roll four.

You have more or less called out my strategy Shadow. I buy three powers, but can only cast two per turn. I buy three so I have a better chance of getting those power I prefer (e.g. 4+ invul, or model and his unit ignore cover), and can still take the Primarus power.

Thank you for the feedback.

Shas'o Rama
Shas

Post#8 » Jan 31 2013 01:25

The answer to the question of taking a shas'ui or adding more models is both, take a shas'ui with a blacksun filter and try to max out your firewarrior squads if points allow.

im2randomghgh
Shas

Post#9 » Jan 31 2013 05:07

Shield drones are definitely worth it on those broadsides. That little fifteen point model will, on average, make two lascannon wounds go away, which your broadsides would get no save against whatsoever. That means it takes as many lascannons to kill that one drone as it does to kill most of a broadside team. It isn't even really a "maybe" piece of wargear. Ever since I went and tried it, they have become an "auto-include", just like disruption pods.

Another thing, if that Hammerhead is functioning as the "vanguard" of your army, I would consider the multi-tracker upgrade a must. Without it, your tank is either just a pretty paperweight that's not about to hurt anything, or it is moving at infantry speeds.
6th edition
W-37
D-5
L-11

Thieus
Shas

Post#10 » Jan 31 2013 06:40

im2randomghgh wrote:Shield drones are definitely worth it on those broadsides. That little fifteen point model will, on average, make two lascannon wounds go away, which your broadsides would get no save against whatsoever. That means it takes as many lascannons to kill that one drone as it does to kill most of a broadside team. It isn't even really a "maybe" piece of wargear. Ever since I went and tried it, they have become an "auto-include", just like disruption pods.

A solid point on the shield drones. I'll see if I can squeeze one into each squad. I did manage to reclaim 10 points net, after dropping the BSF from the Tetras, and adding one to the Hammerhead.

im2randomghgh wrote:Another thing, if that Hammerhead is functioning as the "vanguard" of your army, I would consider the multi-tracker upgrade a must. Without it, your tank is either just a pretty paperweight that's not about to hurt anything, or it is moving at infantry speeds.

You have a valid point on the multi-tracker, however the higher mobility is not needed with this build. This list is built to out range everyone. Sans the deep striking XV8's and some secondary weapon systems, my short range shooting is 30". I usually deploy as far back as possible, and place terrain in my deployment zone to facilitate that. That all said, the Hammerhead always moves to gain its Jink save, and secondarily to create cover, or clear a firing lane, but rarely fully separates from the fire base.

Thank you for the feedback, and I will find a way to get a couple of shield drones in a play test.

Return to “Archival Datacore”