Tournament All-comer Tau/Eldar List 1863pt

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
MagosArcturus
Shas

Tournament All-comer Tau/Eldar List 1863pt

Post#1 » Feb 08 2013 09:45

I have a tournament coming up that has the points limit set at exactly 1863 points. Our local meta is pretty varied and the tournament is probably going to have more than 40 players so there will be a lot of lists arrayed against me. This army is designed to hold onto home objectives with my FW teams behind the aegis. In the last few turns my jet-bikes will try to grab/contest whatever objectives they can get. I am bringing Eldar for the psychic defense, fast scoring , and decent anti-flyer support on the gun from the firedragons. I am converting my tau models to represent the Eldar units, so list changes on that front can be time consuming and i need enough time to paint em up before the deadline of March.

My list is below any comments/criticism appreciated.

HQ - Shas'EL Commander: 284 pts
1x Shas'El; Missile Pod; Plasma Rifle; Multitracker; Hardwired Blacksun Filter; Hardwired Drone Controller; Iridium Armour
2x Shield Drones
2x Shas'vre; Missile Pods; Plasma Rifles; Multitrackers

Elites - XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 214 pts
1x Crisis Suit Shas'vre; Plasma Rifle; Missile Pod; Multitracker; Hardwired Drone Controller; Hardwired Blacksun Filter; Team Leader
2x Gun Drones
2x Crisis Suit; Plasma Rifle; Missile Pod; Multitracker

Elites - XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 193 pts
1x Crisis Suit Shas'vre; Fusion Blaster; TL-Missile Pods; Hardwired Drone Controller; Hardwired Blacksun Filter; Team Leader
2x Gun Drones
2x Crisis Suit; Fusion Blasters; TL-Missile Pods

Elites - XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 169 pts
1x Crisis Suit Shas'vre; Flamer; TL-Missile Pods; Hardwired Drone Controller; Hardwired Blacksun Filter; Team Leader
2x Gun Drones
2x Crisis Suit; Flamers; TL-Missile Pods

Troops - Firewarrior Team: 70 pts
7x Firewarriors with Pulse Rifles

Troops - Firewarrior Team: 70 pts
7x Firewarriors with Pulse Rifles

Troops - Firewarrior Team: 60 pts
6x Firewarriors with Pulse Rifles

Heavy - Broadside Battlesuit Team: 173
1x Broadside Battlesuit ; TL-Railgun; Smart Missile System; Drone Controller
2x Shield Drones
1x Broadside Battlesuit ; TL-Railgun; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter

Heavy - Broadside Battlesuit Team: 173
1x Broadside Battlesuit ; TL-Railgun; Smart Missile System; Drone Controller
2x Shield Drones
1x Broadside Battlesuit ; TL-Railgun; Smart Missile System; Blacksun Filter

Fortification - Aegis Defense Line: 100pts
1x Quadgun

Eldar Allies-------------------

HQ - Farseer: 130 pts
1x Farseer; Spirit Stones; Runes of Warding; Guide; Mind War

Troops - Eldar Jetbikes: 114 pts
1x Eldar Jetbike; Shuriken Cannon
2x Eldar Jetbikes; TL- Shuriken Catapults
1x Eldar Jetbike Warlock; Singing Spear; Destructor

Elites - Fire Dragons: 112 pts
4x Fire Dragons; Fusion Gun
1x Fire Dragon Exarch;Fusion Gun; Tank Hunters; Crack Shot

Total: 1862 pts

DrTau
Shas

Re: Tournament All-comer Tau/Eldar List 1863pt

Post#2 » Feb 09 2013 03:28

Not sure if you know of this little trick but here it goes:

In regards to 25% casualties for leadership test:

6 FW's - 2 dead are need to take leadership test
7 FW's - 2 dead are needed to take leadership test
8 FW's - 2 dead are needed to take leadership test
9 FW's - 3 dead are needed to take leadership test
10 FW's - 3 dead are needed to take leadership test
11 FW's - 3 dead are needed to take leadership test
12 FW's - 3 dead are needed to take leadership test

As you can see 9 is the turning point. If you get 9 firewarriors instead of 8, that bumps the survialability / active use of the firewarrrior squad by quite a bit.

Admittedly not as much as say the difference between 4 models and 5 models such as 3 suits with 2 drones, but firewarrior squads have a minimum size of 6 anyway.

I just noticed two squads of 7 and couldnt help but think that bumping up to 9 if possible would be a good approach.

Just food for thought.

MagosArcturus
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 09 2013 06:28

Good tip. Any suggestions on where to get the 40 pts. I just started playing tau about 1 month ago.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#4 » Feb 09 2013 08:40

Hovering dangerously close to the "Rate my List" here. Perhaps reading through this post will help to direct you a little better.

E.

MagosArcturus
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 10 2013 03:01

I am trying to gauge if the models that I am making will be viable as a base for the cadre as it grows. There is only one other tau player in my area and I don't see him very often. So I went to the most respected tau resource seeking counsel. My intent was not for a "rate my list", I'd just like to see if I was building in the right direction. It's not my first army but I'm interested in the challenge of playing the tau army and love it's aesthetics and fluff that is radically different from the rest of the 40k universe. I tried to follow the guideline as closely as possible but if I am missing some details, let me know and I'll post em up.

Eiglepulper
Shas'O
Shas'O

Post#6 » Feb 10 2013 03:06

Your first sentence there clarifies your reasons behind the listing, so go for it!

E.

Ell'ran
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#7 » Feb 10 2013 05:10

The challenge of playing Tau is not in your list, it is in how you move and use your models, with target priority and deployment playing a huge part. List building does help, of course, but it is a secondary factor.

Medalion
Fio

Post#8 » Feb 11 2013 09:37

As far as models to build your cadre around, your lack of vehicles is rather glaring. The Tau have some of the best vehicles in the game, especially if you kit them out with the amazing disruption pod. A Hammerhead (rail or ion, whatever you prefer/have points for) has the firepower to bring down most units quickly and easily, plus it's much more maneuverable and flexible than the Broadsides. Not that Broadsides are a bad choice mind you ;) . A Devilfish will give you a robust transport to get your Fire Warriors anywhere they need to be, and it can pack a punch if you want to go the Warfish route. Having one will also let you get another scoring unit to objectives quickly.

Mixing things up in your elites may also help. Crisis Suits are awesome, but I find having a squad of Stealth's thrown in can be very effective. Their stealth fields make them very difficult to kill, and you can infiltrate them if you decide to. Great for harassing or contesting late game. May also want to add some Sniper Drones or Pathfinders to get some markerlights, bumping up your BS is never a bad choice. Consider swapping the Quadgun for the Icarus Lascannon as well. The Quad looks awesome on paper, but if you need to kill fliers it just doesn't have the punch, plus its a bit more expensive.
Science for the Science God! Math for the Math Throne!

MagosArcturus
Shas

Post#9 » Feb 11 2013 09:57

I have 2 devilfish and a hammerhead that is magnetized to create a devilfish/hammerhead/skyray. When I played my pathfinders, I noticed they were targeted soon and the benefit they provided was largely made up for by the farseer's prescience power. The vehicles are great but when it comes to having them support my units they seem lackluster. They also cost a lot of points. Have you found a use for devil fish in 6th and how have you used them? I love the performance of the hammerhead but its a difficult choice between more dakka or a hammerhead that is going to attract a lot of anti-vehicle fire. The icarus lascannon is a good suggestion and i will try that out. With the firedragons it should be pretty reliable at taking out flyers as long as it survives. If my gaming group allowed forgeworld, i would love a unit of tetras but pathfinders are too expensive as a replacement and they just haven't performed for me.

Medalion
Fio

Post#10 » Feb 12 2013 10:40

It is always something of a risk to bring in a heavy vehicle like the Hammerhead. Usually though, I find that the benefits it supplies far outweigh the downsides. It doesn't perform quite as well against heavy tanks as the Broadside, lacking twin-linked, but it makes up for it in what else it can do. Personally, I always take a railgun on mine, and having the ability to drop a large blast anywhere on the field is extremely useful. Since its also a skimmer, it's easy to move up along the board edge or slip around cover to get shots in at more vulnerable armor points. You can often force your opponent to choose between being in cover from Broadsides or cover from the Hammerhead. If you bring a disruption pod along (which you ALWAYS should when fielding Tau vehicles), you can just move a little bit each turn to gain a 3+ cover save due to the Jink rule.

I usually bring in some Pathfinders, so I have to take a Devilfish for them. The beacon it comes with is very helpful for getting your Suit teams in right where you want them. The Devilfish also benefits from extreme maneuverability, and is only slightly less resilient than the Hammerhead. I typically will have it harassing enemy infantry. It's weapons can chew through them pretty easily, and it can even tank shock if you need to kick them off an objective. If you happen to have a Fire Warrior team aboard, you can quickly claim the objective and hold it. Another good use for them that was brought to light recently is the Sea Turtle (viewtopic.php?f=23&t=18706).

In the end, it comes down to personal preference, but I've always found that the vehicles are worth it.
Science for the Science God! Math for the Math Throne!

Return to “Archival Datacore”