525 Points - Getting back into the Tau

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
IngotVertex
Shas

525 Points - Getting back into the Tau

Post#1 » Feb 25 2013 01:16

--First time posting besides an introduction of myself--

Just getting back into playing, so the first game is a 525 Point 6th Edition match against Dark Angels. I never was that great playing the Tau when I first attempted played them, but I think that was because I didn’t truly utilize what I had and played them like Space Marines. I’m giving it a try again since I’m a big fan of the fluff, so hopefully I can handle them now. So any words of advice is appreciated.

My goal with this is a gun line of FW and sniper drones and have 2 XV8 deep strike in shoot and run to pull them in to the gun line or separate 2 squads so the gun line can focus on one squad at a time.

HQ
Ethereal (55points)
BSF
--(I will have the Ethereal with the SDT to give them BSF just incase of night fighting rules are applied, while also having the Ethereal as a Warlord to give them incentive to go after the SDT for the extra point and walk into the gun line)

Heavy
SDT a team of two (160 points)
2xNWML, 6xSniperDrones
--(Place these guys in the back within cover with a clear sight of things coming their way. While using ML’s to help take SM out)

Troop
6xFW (85 points)
6xPulseRifle,TmLd,ML,BSF
--(Have this squad in cover to the left of the SDT using ML to help out and putting down a little annoying fire)
6xFW (85 points)
6xPulseRifle,TmLd,ML,BSF
--(Have this squad in cover to the right of the SDT using ML to help out and putting down a little annoying fire)

Elite
1xBladestorm (68 points)
TLPR,BC,MT
--(Have him deepstrike in somewhere after he shoots can get some cover or hopefully out of LOS. Use him as bait to pull SM in to the gun line or finish off a weakened squad. I know this is mainly thinking I will mainly be fighting SM, but he can be useful maybe against Terminators or Dreadnoughts if they are played)
1xBladestorm (68 points)
TLPR,BC,MT
--(Have him deepstrike in somewhere after he shoots can get some cover or hopefully out of LOS. Use him as bait to pull SM in to the gun line or finish off a weakened squad. I know this is mainly thinking I will mainly be fighting SM, but he can be useful maybe against Terminators or Dreadnoughts if they are played)

Total: 521 points

-IngotVetex :dead:

spears
Shas

Re: 525 Points - Getting back into the Tau

Post#2 » Feb 25 2013 02:14

Like yourself this is also my first real post.
As a start i think you may need to provide a bit more context for the list. Currently both the list and its entries are illegal, are you using the book missions and force org chart?

That said if you are playing against Da i feel the list lacks in mobility or weight of fire, both raven and deathwing can be in your lines fairly quickly and will be less bothered by those snipers than most marines.

I think the teamleader and wargear on 6 man fire warrior squads are a massive point sink, especially vs Meq.

IngotVertex
Shas

Post#3 » Feb 25 2013 04:10

First off thanks for your input spears.

Second, we're rolling on the mission type out of 6th Ed and are using force org chart.

I'll be going back to the drawing bored on this then and see what I can do with your comments on the list. I just realized TLPR count as two weapons, I forgot all about that. Thanks for the heads up on illegal part.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Feb 25 2013 04:17

You also need a commander for every Tau army. You aren't allowed to JUST have an Ethereal.

Cheers!

IngotVertex
Shas

Post#5 » Feb 25 2013 04:29

Thanks shasocastris

I got learn this army more before I decide to post again

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Feb 25 2013 05:10

This might sound harsh, but never EVER take sniper drones, they fail at their job, even against regular marines out in the open, and against DA you will probably see ravenwing or deathwing, and then the snipers will do even worse.
I love that unit's ideal, I love the concept of "force them to come to us", but it just does not work. everyone WANTS to come to us anyway, and the snipers are just so grossly overpriced that an equally costed squad of 8 fire-warriors will do the same job almost as good (or better, against anything except a non-biker 3+ marine in the open) with greater mobility and they can actually score.

That being said, this opens up 160 points to work with!

Now lets go over the other issues, shall we?
  • First-you MUST take a crisis commander, its a built-in codex restriction beyond the regular FOC limits. on the other hand, and ethereal is a seriously risky tactic and should not be used unless you REALLY know your stuff, and got tons of other leadership buffers anyway, so take out the ethereal and place a suit, i recommend a shas'el with PR, BC, TA and HWMT.
  • A TLPR takes two hardpoints, so your suit configuration is illegal. drop it to a regular PR (still a good suit, and 10 points cheaper each)
  • You lack troops, 2 squads of 6 is just not enough in 6th, you should bump them up to 2 squads of 8 at the very least. the game is too objective-based. (i would have gone for full 2 teams of 12, or 3 teams of 8.)
  • You lack anti-armor, even at this size you will want a broadside maybe even two, just in case he runs a tank up your way trying to take you by surprise (I got tackled by 2! railgun hammerheads at a 750 point game a few days ago, so never think "its too small of a game")

Now, this might seem like a major issue, but don't let it discourage you! Tau is not an easy army to play, and the aged codex makes it hard to understand what works, what is worth it, and what is even legal at times, it takes time and practice to get it right, but for a first attempt its not bad. I've seen most of these mistakes made by people who claim to be posting "pro tactica" for others to follow, and that's a REAL issue.

IngotVertex
Shas

Post#7 » Feb 25 2013 05:56

Thanks boomwolf

I'll be taking your comments in to consideration while I work on a new list, so thanks again I believe what you have said will help me focus on areas to work on. I will also see what I can possibly do about a broadside.

swiftblade_nic
Shas

Post#8 » Feb 25 2013 10:14

Hi IngotVertex,

I really don't suggest taking an ethereal - in a small sized game like the one you are playing, the gaming area will be smaller, and you'd have a harder time protecting him because you have no where to run. I understand that you want to use him as bait, and that is risky because it's really easy to snipe him, and the rest of your army doesn't have particularly good leadership.

If you really want to use an ethereal, either because you painted him and you desperately want to use him (I know that feel bro), then at least upgrade one of your Firewarrior units to veterans to enjoy the BS4 shooting.

My two cents.

Return to “Archival Datacore”