Insanity or brilliance? at 2500 pts

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Insanity or brilliance? at 2500 pts

Post#1 » Mar 02 2013 02:31

ATT,

This list is basically designed to use the new rules for FOC charts as much as possible. Being Tau, I have a fondness for heavy support. Being that I can now take 6 HS slots if I wish, I decided to see what I could come up with.

The idea started around having six broadsides and four hammerheads. But, I thought to myself, 'I don't really need four railheads if I have six broadsides, do I?' So, I looked at the turrets from Forge World, and immediately decided that I wanted the plasma cannon and fusion cannon. Two of each to be precise. The rest of the list was designed around the tanks, either to support them (Tetras), kill certain threats (Helios crisis suits and R'alai) or act as a final backup (Deathrain suits).

Huntre Cadre Fueris

HQ - Commander R'alai: 190 pts
1x R'alai

HQ - Commander: 148 pts
1x Shas'o; Cyclic Ion Blaster; Plasma Rifle; Multi-tracker; HW Drone Controller; 2 Shield Drones; HW Blacksun Filter

Elites - Crisis Team: 182 pts
1x Shas'ui; TL Fusion Blaster; Shield Drone
2x Shas'ui; Plasma Rifle; Fusion Blaster; Multi-tracker

Elites - Crisis Team: 114 pts
1x Shas'ui team leader; TL Missile Pod; Targeting Array; HW Blacksun Filter
1x Shas'ui; TL Missile Pod, Targeting Array

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 215 pts
1x Shas'ui; HW Drone Controller; Gun Drone
10x Shas'la
1x Devilfish; Disruption Pod

Troops - Fire Warrior Team 215 pts
1x Shas'ui; HW Drone Controller; Gun Drone
10x Shas'la

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 165 pts
8x Shas'la

Troops - Fire Warrior Team: 165 pts
8x Shas'la

Fast Attack - Tetra Squadron: 115 pts
1x Tetra; Targeting Array
1x Tetra; Targeting Array; Target Lock

Fast Attack - Tetra Squadron: 115 pts
1x Tetra; Targeting Array
1x Tetra; Targeting Array; Target Lock

Heavy Support - Broadside Team: 278 pts
1x Shas'ui team leader; Targeting Array; HW Drone Controller; 2 Shield Drones; HW Target Lock; HW Blacksun Filter
1x Shas'ui; Targeting Array
1x Shas'ui; Target Lock

Heavy Support - Broadside Team: 278 pts
1x Shas'ui team leader; Targeting Array; HW Drone Controller; 2 Shield Drones; HW Target Lock; HW Blacksun Filter
1x Shas'ui; Targeting Array
1x Shas'ui; Target Lock

Hammerhead Gunship: 130 pts
1x Hammerhead; TL Plasma Cannon; 2 Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Disruption Pod

Hammerhead Gunship: 130 pts
1x Hammerhead; TL Plasma Cannon; 2 Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Disruption Pod

Hammerhead Gunship: 145 pts
1x Hammerhead; TL Fusion Cannon; 2 Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Disruption Pod

Hammerhead Gunship: 145 pts
1x Hammerhead; TL Fusion Cannon; 2 Burst Cannons; Multi-tracker; Disruption Pod

What do you guys think? Insanity or brilliance? Or perhaps silliness?

Cheers!

Amis
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: insanity or brilliance? at 2500 pts

Post#2 » Mar 02 2013 03:05

Well personally I find it highly unappealing to have only four Troop choices at 2500. I think that would be at least 5, or better even 6, as I like to have two for basic 500 pts and one for each additional 500pts.

As to Heavy Support that's a hell lot of shooty goodness, though Iąm not sure about not even single Railhead - yes, you have XV88s, but Railhead isn't for solid shot - rather for that tasty Large blast - so I would swap one Plasma/Fusion - I don't remember stats of those, so rather that longer range one (plasma, I think).

Other than that, I like the overall feel of the list.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Mar 03 2013 12:54

Well, railheads are usually taken for the versatility and anti-horde power, rather then the single slug shot.

But when if comes to FW hammerheads, forget the fusion, the plasma is just THAT much better, and cheaper to boot!

Also, I agree with Amis that you seriously don't have enough troops for this army size. I'd say you need at least 2 more squads.

El'mo
Shas'El
Shas'El

Post#4 » Mar 03 2013 08:06

As most missions seem to require the seizing and holding of objectives you need more troop choices and with all that XV88 goodness you will have problems with horde lists. It may mean you have to dismount your FW too early for the extra shooting exposing them to CC.

It is worth throwing in a couple of HH with disruption pods and multi-tracker for extra survivability and the pie plate of doom. :D

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Insanity or brilliance? at 2500 pts

Post#5 » Mar 03 2013 09:12

I would recommend that you make your list to show clearly which units are part of which detachment.

In regards to the list itself, I don't the fusion-heads neither fish nor fowl in terms of stopping vehicles (need to get to close) or troops (the blast is only worthwhile on closely packed terminators. Seeing as this list lacks horde busting and your troops are going to want to hide off board or in their devilfish I might suggest taking 2 railheads primarily for the template but also for that handy back up solid shot.

I am a fan of the plasma, it's a great anti aircraft option as well as mulcher of MEQs.

Also, I think you might want to consider nine Firewarriors to a team with no upgrades. That seems to be the optimum unit for the cost.

Return to “Archival Datacore”