Tau 1000 points (attempt #2)

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
joshau-k
Shas

Tau 1000 points (attempt #2)

Post#1 » Mar 10 2013 06:27

Sorry about the bad post before, I did read the guidelines a bit before posting last time and then decided to add the short introduction...
Well hopefully it will help someone as an object lesson of how to improve closer towards the standards (see previous post below).

I'm just getting into 6th edition and wanted to see if I'm on the right track with my army list.
I'm just starting with 1000 points, to get a feel for things, then working up to high points.
This is meant to be an all comers list (though my friends play orks and grey knights).

Tau 1000 Points
by Joshau-k

HQ - Shas'el Commander: 125 pts
Shas'el, TA, Plasma, CIB, MT, Stimulant, shield drone

This guy is for killing terminators, not sure he will be heaps useful against orks though.

TROOPS - Firewarrior Team 90: pts
9 x Firewarriors

TROOPS - Firewarrior Team 90: pts
9 x Firewarriors

TROOPS - Firewarrior Team 175: pts
9 x Firewarriors
Devilfish, DP

I had 2 Firewarrior squads with 2 devilish, but I think having more fire power would be better and also that 1 devilfish will provide sufficient cover for the 3 firewarrior squads.
My idea is to advance the firewarriors towards one of the objective with the devilfish ready to rush one squad to another objective near the end of the game.

FAST ATTACK - Tetra: 55 pts
Tetra, TA

I'm hoping the tetra will survive better than my pathfinders tend to...

ELITES - XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 146
2 x XV8, Plasma, MP, MT
inc Team Leader, shield drone, BSF

2 x XV8, Plasma, MP, MT

These guys are for taking out Terminators and vehicles.
I think I will start with one of these guys deployed and 1 deep-striking to take out vehicle rear armour.

Also I'm not sure how effective my shield drones will be now with the new wound allocation method.

HEAVY SUPPORT - 175
Hammerhead, Railgun, MT, TL, BC's, DP, BSF

1002 points

I'm not sure how well this list will go against grey knights, whether is has enough anti-TEQ firepower.
Though I'm sure the new 50% reserve rule will help, if I can convince my friend it actually does apply to models with terminator armour.

[spoiler=Original Post]Hey.

This is meant to be an all comers list (though my friends play orks and grey knights).

Tau 1000 Points
by Joshau-k

HQ: 125

Troops: 355
9 x Firewarriors
9 x Firewarriors
9 x Firewarriors
Devilfish, DP

Fast Attack: 55
Tetra, TA

Elite: 292
2 x XV8, Plasma, MP, MT

2 x XV8, Plasma, MP, MT

Heavy: 175

1002 points

What do you guys think?

http://advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19366[/spoiler]

southernskies
Shas

Re: Tau 1000 points (attempt #2)

Post#2 » Mar 10 2013 07:07

Hi Joshua,

Please read the guidelines again. http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewforum.php?f=36

Posting an army list on its own, is not allowed.

Posting an army list as part of a battlereport, is allowed (and will allow us to give you helpful advice).
'Neath Southern Skies

Lynu'Re Tash
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 10 2013 07:39

I think he did make a good effort to update his post with more information to bring it more in line with the cadre building sub forum.

joshau-k wrote:HQ - Shas'el Commander: 125 pts

This guy is for killing terminators, not sure he will be heaps useful against orks though.

I am assuming the multitracker is hard wired. As for orks, he is still putting out 7 shots at 12" and 6 at 18". CIB will only be wounding on 5s though, in the end it's not a horrible set up against orks.

Also, what's the deployment plan for him, on at the beginning or is he going to be deep striking?

joshau-k wrote:ELITES - XV8 Crisis Battlesuits: 146
2 x XV8, Plasma, MP, MT

2 x XV8, Plasma, MP, MT

These guys are for taking out Terminators and vehicles.
I think I will start with one of these guys deployed and 1 deep-striking to take out vehicle rear armour.

Also I'm not sure how effective my shield drones will be now with the new wound allocation method.

Shield drones are still the best drone choice if you expect a lot of instant death or low AP weapons to be focused on your suits. The best option is cover... But not always possible, particularly with a bad assault move. If you are expecting just the occasional pot shot a gun drone or two are cheaper ablative wounds.

joshau-k wrote:HEAVY SUPPORT - 175

1002 points

I'm not sure how well this list will go against grey knights, whether is has enough anti-TEQ firepower.
Though I'm sure the new 50% reserve rule will help, if I can convince my friend it actually does apply to models with terminator armour.

You probably can drop the target lock as the hammerhead will generally be out of range for the burst cannons, and if it is in range a pie plate and burst cannons is a ton of wounds. But flexibility is not a bad thing.

What's the issue with the 50% rule? He doesn't want the terminators to count towards it? Please elaborate.
55 seems like a rather random number, why not 50 or 75?

Chillrend
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Mar 10 2013 05:12

Southern Skies,while I am very happy to see someone who is reading and upholding the primers so fervently, I believe you are being slightly overzealous here. You should note that this thread is in the Cadre Building section, a relatively new forum that allows high quality lists to be posted without an accompanying battle report. If I may direct your attention to here;
http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19213
The fault is not yours though, as the primers are in need of an update and as such they do state that Josh's list is prohibited. Perhaps you could have done a little more research or asking a moderator before releasing the attack dogs though ;) . Remember, you are all brothers in arms, striving only for the Tau'va.

Now that little understanding has been cleared up, I'd like to say a big welcome to ATT to all of you.

Josh, your list is promising, but still lacking detail. I suggest you read this; http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19098
It is more than acceptable though, keep at it.

Thanks,
Chill

joshau-k
Shas

Post#5 » Mar 10 2013 11:06

Lynu'Re Tash wrote:
I am assuming the multitracker is hard wired. As for orks, he is still putting out 7 shots at 12" and 6 at 18". CIB will only be wounding on 5s though, in the end it's not a horrible set up against orks.

Also, what's the deployment plan for him, on at the beginning or is he going to be deep striking?

I think he will be deploying on the field.

Lynu'Re Tash wrote:
You probably can drop the target lock as the hammerhead will generally be out of range for the burst cannons, and if it is in range a pie plate and burst cannons is a ton of wounds. But flexibility is not a bad thing.

Yeah I wasn't so sure about the target lock.

Lynu'Re Tash wrote:What's the issue with the 50% rule? He doesn't want the terminators to count towards it? Please elaborate.

So my friend had an all reserve army in 5th edition, and thinks he can get around the 50% reserve limit to do it for 6th edition (note: losing 1st turn isn't an issue).

Terminator Armour says something like the unit can always deepstrike, even if the mission rules don't allow deepstriking.
Which he takes to mean he can deepstrike them even it goes over the 50% limit.
While I don't agree with it, it is a fair enough interpretation since the sentence a bit ambiguous.

Though even if I agree to his interpretation of that rule, which I think would then imply he could only deepstrike terminators (and mandatory deepstrikes) and have to deploy the rest of his army at the start.
He then says he takes his other units as his reserves, then says, well my terminators can always deepstrike so he takes them aswell, thereby taking his whole army in reserve...

There's plenty of discussion on forums about the first issue, though I haven't found anything about the second one that will give me something in the rulebook to point him to.

nor'od-alex
Shas

Post#6 » Mar 11 2013 03:59

That sounds unfair about the termies! :-(
I would say that the termies count as reserve anyways, so he must add them to reserve FIRST, instead of adding them onto the rest of the reserves.
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Skullric
Shas

Post#7 » Mar 11 2013 05:49

Hello

I believe units that must start off-table, i.e. flyers, do not count towards your reserve limit.

You can then reserve half of your remaining units. As Terminators could be deployed on the table at the start of the game, they have to be put into reserve as part of the normal reserve limit. All their terminator armour rule allows is the ability to start in reserve if the scenario denies reserves.

Skullric

nor'od-alex
Shas

Post#8 » Mar 11 2013 11:41

That would be an interesting thread, but this is not the place for that! Go spark an appropriate discussion.
sum commenta, ergo sum idotica.

Skullric
Shas

Post#9 » Mar 11 2013 12:28

Agreed, although the answer is pertinent to joshua-k's list development.

joshau-k
Shas

Post#10 » Mar 13 2013 06:36

The issue of whether Terminator Armour get's around the 50% rule in some way is discussed to death elsewhere.
Also a thread about the implications of one particular interpretation of this rule that most people would disagree with doesn't seem to be relevant to enough people.

93green

Post#11 » Mar 26 2013 08:19

:fear: i don't include costs for any wargear equipment for the battlesuit wargear list or any of the wargear lists. its cos tau are disadvantaged and to make it fair i don't incude equipment costs.

Lyi'ot
Por'O
Por'O

Post#12 » Mar 26 2013 08:42

93green wrote::fear: i don't include costs for any wargear equipment for the battlesuit wargear list or any of the wargear lists. its cos tau are disadvantaged and to make it fair i don't incude equipment costs.

As best I can understand from your broken English, you don't factor in the cost of wargear when making a list, because you unilaterally believe that paying for wargear is somehow "unfair" to the Tau.

First off, this piece of information has no relevance to this otherwise on-point and well-thought-out thread.

Second, ATT does not condone your misguided sense of "fairness," which is anything but.

Lastly, please improve the quality and the content of your posting.
+1
>>--AA-->

93green

Post#13 » Mar 26 2013 09:53

Wow just wow. Thanks for insulting me.

iridepolarbears
Shas

Post#14 » Mar 26 2013 10:34

93green wrote:Wow just wow. Thanks for insulting me.

To be fair it does say to use proper grammar and punctuation in the primers. He was just pointing out the fact that you could have stated your point a bit clearer, and that you were off topic. not an insult.

now on to the topic at hand: shield drones aren't really worth it, In my opinion. since shots (and assault) now hit the front rank first, unless you really want the invulnerable saves against high AP attacks, you might as well take gun drones and get some extra shots in (and take more drones as well, since gun drones are cheaper). just keep them on the side of your suit that is closest to your enemies and use all available cover to keep the high AP guns from hurting to much. they also can help on a bad assault move that leaves you in charging distance, since they give you a few extra over watch shots. If the enemy decides to shoot at you instead, well...

you could also slice a few fire warriors of your list and double your drone count on your suits, which will be much more mobile (but in possibly more dangerous situation, which could cause wasted points if they get blown away with the entire unit in the first turn...) and give you a few extra wounds on your suits. might be worth it if your fire warriors are foot slogging it to the nearer objectives and you are depending on your crisis suits to do a lot of the grunt work against tanks and terminators.
this would be witty, but it isn't.

Return to “Archival Datacore”