Possible Farsight Enclave 1850 Tournament FW Allowed

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Possible Farsight Enclave 1850 Tournament FW Allowed

Post#1 » Mar 14 2013 12:41

Hear me, Hear me Advanced Tau Tactica!

I am participating in a tournament next month and although it's very close, I should have enough time to devise a list and train with it.
The tournament will be held at 1850 points and ... Forgeworld approved 40k is allowed.
This does pose some issues. I know the Codex through and through but this is opening up a wide array of options.
I am used to playing with Farsight and at the top of my mind, I had the following first list in mind.

1850pts Army List
by De'Terra
HQ - Commander Farsight Group: 524
Commander Farsight: 170 Points
Shas 'Vre Bodyguard 115 points
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Drone controller, 2 Shield Drones, Blacksunfilter
Shas 'Vre Bodyguard 117 points
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Drone controller, 2 Shield Drones, Target lock
Shas 'Vre Bodyguard: 122 points
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Drone controller, 2 Shield Drones, Stimulant Injectors

ELITES - XV8 Battlesuit Team 139 points
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 46 Points
Twin linked Missile pod, Blacksun filter
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 47 Points
Twin linked Missile pod, Flamer

ELITES - XV8 Battlesuit Team 140 points
2x XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 47 Points

ELITES - XV8 Battlesuit Team 199 points
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 75 Points
Teamleader, Blacksun filter, Plasma rifle, Missile pod, Multitracker
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 62 Points
Plasma rifle, Missile pod, Multitracker

TROOPS - Fire Warrior Team: 90 Points
9 x Fire Warriors
Pulse rifles.

9 x Fire Warriors
Pulse rifles.

9 x Fire Warriors
Pulse rifles.

TROOPS - Drone Sentry Turret: 40 Points
Twin linked Missile pod, Disruption pod

HEAVY SUPPORT - Hammerhead Gunship: 150 Points
Twin linked Fusion Cannon, 2x Burst cannons, Disruption pod, Multitracker, Blacksun filter, Targetting Array

HEAVY SUPPORT - Broadside Battlesuit Team: 288 points
Broadside XV88 Battlesuit: 128 points
Teamleader, Railgun, Smart Missile system, Blacksun filter, Drone controller, 2 Shield drones, Target lock, Advanced Stabilization System
2x Broadside XV88 Battlesuit: 160points
Railgun, Smart Missile system, Advanced Stabilization System

Fast Attack - Tetra Scout Speeder: 55 points
High Intensity Markerlight, Disruption pod, Targetting Array, Twin linked Pulse rifle

High Intensity Markerlight, Disruption pod, Targetting Array, Twin linked Pulse rifle

Total : 1850 points

Notes :
The list is fairly straight forward. Farsight is the anchor to the entire force.
He will push forwards, causing the enemy to react and luring them out for the rest of the army to target.
The firewarriors will take up defensive position at first until the majority of the enemy force has been broken.
The Sentry turret will be using deep strike to capture lone objectives or be a general nuisance if I can garantuee the safety of my own objectives.
The broadsides will be on tank hunting duty and the Hammerhead will assist in worst case scenario's.
He should be acting as a Multiwound T4 character pepper spray and the Heavy Support should receive markerlights from the Tetra's.
The crisis suits will be pushing up alongside Farsight while the Deathrains are hammering transports and Flyers out of the sky.
Anything AV12 will need to be handled by the Broadsides.

I think it is a solid list. Flyers will pose a problem since there is no skyfire present but I hope the tournaments cap of 3 flyers and the twin linked guns prove to be effective enough.

On another note, I know that Farsight is not the most efficient of Tau Units. Although he is my fluff character of choice.
Hence I thought of a "different" list that will be stronger on the offensive and the defensive.
The only twist with above is the lack of Farsight and Drone Sentry Turret.

1850pts Army List
by De'Terra
HQ - Commander Shas 'El: 364
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Drone controller, 2 Shield Drones, Blacksunfilter, Stimulant Injectors
Shas 'Vre Bodyguard 112
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Drone controller, 2 Shield Drones
Shas 'Vre Bodyguard 112
Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, Targetting Array, Hard-wired Multi-tracker, Hard-wired Drone controller, 2 Shield Drones

HQ - Commander Shas 'O R'alai: 190

ELITES - XV8 Battlesuit Team 139 points
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 47 Points

ELITES - XV8 Battlesuit Team 140 points
2x XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 47 Points

ELITES - XV8 Battlesuit Team 199 points
XV8 Crisis Battlesuit: 75 Points
Teamleader, Blacksun filter, Plasma rifle, Missile pod, Multitracker

9 x Fire Warriors
Pulse rifles.

9 x Fire Warriors
Pulse rifles.

9 x Fire Warriors
Pulse rifles.

HEAVY SUPPORT - Hammerhead Gunship: 150 Points
Twin linked Fusion Cannon, 2x Burst cannons, Disruption pod, Multitracker, Blacksun filter, Targetting Array

HEAVY SUPPORT - Broadside Battlesuit Team: 288 points
Broadside XV88 Battlesuit: 128 points
Teamleader, Railgun, Smart Missile system, Blacksun filter, Drone controller, 2 Shield drones, Target lock, Advanced Stabilization System
2x Broadside XV88 Battlesuit: 160points
Railgun, Smart Missile system, Advanced Stabilization System

Total : 1850 points

Notes:

R'Alai is a massive powerhouse. The templates will be very effective on any horde armies and well he has a firing mode for about everyone.
It does make me feel a bit of a turncoat by not using Farsight... for the greater good right?

Thoughts, comments and possible synergies are very welcome!

abraxus
Shas

Re: Possible Farsight Enclave 1850 Tournament FW Allowed

Post#2 » Mar 14 2013 12:54

I don't believe the turrets can capture or contest objectives.

Aegwymourn
Shas

Post#3 » Mar 14 2013 02:17

Abraxus beat me to it, Sentry Turrets cannot capture objectives. I believe it is under the rules for immobilized vehicles?

Your lists do seem very fluffy and interesing. The biggest problems I foresee are horde armies (orks/nids) since you don't have tons of anti-infantry shooting, or lots of high str shooting (Grey Knights come to mind).

Other than that 3x 9 fire warriors might be a bit light on scoring options. My fire warriors tend to get shot up real bad or I have to reserve them to keep them alive. Either way they don't contribute tons unless I get some good cover/fire lanes.

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#4 » Mar 18 2013 09:41

The turrets may be scoring.
The Tauupdate from Forgeworld gave them the immobile rule which stated the never scores parts.
However the 6th update listed them as automated artillery and never any mentioned of a doesn't score rule.
However, lots of room for discussion.

Now I am considering that I will not take them.
My biggest pet peeve however is Farsight.
I played a small tournament last weekend and on 3 occasions I wished I had brought Farsight. ( Everlasting CC rounds, Orks as opponent)
Again, in this case I am contemplating the same.
my trusted old commander or the swiss army knife of doom...
The added CC resiliency is a big bonus, until he gets challenged by a character.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#5 » Mar 18 2013 10:29

As a note, because of the strange wording in the Tau codex, Farsight (with a bodyguard) can't be challenged. He loses the IC rule while he has Shas'vre accompanying him. That has pluses and minuses but all in all it needs to be considered.

As for the list, I'm a fan of Farsight. It looks good, but you are rather light on troops. If you want to leave the list the same, I'd keep the FWs in reserve. If not, I'd lose a crisis team with TL missile pods and get more fire warriors.

Cheers!

De'terra
Fio'Vre
Fio'Vre

Post#6 » Mar 18 2013 11:04

Farsight is and will be a Character. He loses IC so he has to Look out, Sir! on a 4+ but the FAQ lists him as a Character. That he cannot lose.
That would be a bit too good to be true.

I am going to have a practice game on saturday with the 'Ralai configuration and see what that gives.

Return to “Archival Datacore”