1500 Tournament R'myr (comments most welcomed)

A review of past Cadre formations from tau'cyr before.
boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

1500 Tournament R'myr (comments most welcomed)

Post#1 » Mar 18 2013 02:26

Ok, so here is the deal. we are having a tournament here soon, 1500 point, and under some special rules. I want to pack my new (converted) toys there, and I made a list in an attempt to answer all possible threats.

First of, no allies allowed. go pure or go home. forgeworld is fair play, as long its in a book and not experimental (the FAQ counts, I checked r'myr also got a pass as he is almost identical to IA3.)
WYSIWYG rules, but you may use conversions and custom-built, as long they are well made and obvious to what they are. (r'myr and the tower fall under this)
Minimal painting required (irrelevant, but interesting)

Now, the mission is as following:
Dawn of war deployment.
Each player places 3 objectives, as per scourging mission, expect they are the following:
3 points objective that is like sabotaged, but explodes every single player turn from the moment uncovered except game turn 1. +1 to cover save for holding unit.
2 point objective that halves charge distance against the holding unit.
1 point objective that grants skyfire option, and reroll 1 to-hit shooting for holding unit.
Each player places one objective of each type, face down. reveal after seize initiative, as normal.
Secondaries: first blood, slay the warlord, linebreaker and points for killing fast attack.
Tabling the opponent is 12 point+any secondaries.
Night fight and reserves as normal.

POINTS ACCUMULATE FROM GAME TO GAME (making my regular strategy of denying point of the enemy ineffective, placing me outside my zone of familiarity)
This is not a knock-out tourny, but a point accumulation. you can theoretically win every game but not the tourny, or even lose every game and still win in the general outcome!

So, the current army list:

HQ (349pts)
Shas'o R'myr
2x Shield Drone
Shas'vre Bodyguard: Targeting array, Plasma rifle, Burst cannon, Hard-wired multi-tracker, Hard-wired blacksun filter
Shas'vre Bodyguard: Targeting array, Plasma rifle, Burst cannon, Hard-wired multi-tracker

Elites (188pts)
XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuit Team (94pts)
Shas'ui: Twin-linked missile pod, Flamer
XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuit Team (94pts)

Troops (440pts)
x8 Fire Warrior (80pts)
x8 Fire Warrior (80pts)
x8 Fire Warrior (80pts)
x8 Fire Warrior (80pts)
x8 Fire Warrior (80pts)

Remote Sensor Tower (40pts)

Heavy Support (523pts)
Hammerhead Gunship (135pts)
Twin-linked plasma cannon, 2x Burst cannon, Blacksun filter, (Night Vision), Disruption pod, Multi-tracker
Twin-linked plasma cannon, 2x Burst cannon, Blacksun filter, (Night Vision), Disruption pod, Multi-tracker
XV88 'Broadside' Battlesuit Team (253pts)
Shas'ui: Smart missile system, Targeting array
Shas'ui: Smart missile system, Targeting array
Shas'Vre: Hard-wired blacksun filterת Smart missile system, Targeting array

TOTAL 1500 POINTS

Tactical overview:
Now, this is the plan if all goes well. (murpy says it wont, but that's the plan)
The concept here is to use R'myr and bodyguard to attract attention and eradicate enemy elites, while the hammers push forward, followed by a wave fire-warriors who hope to nab objectives.
The broadsides will take cover in the rear and target enemy armor, and the tower will deep-strike to buff up the main battle line.
The deathrains will be deep-struck as well to take down rear armor/flaming clusters/flyer response.
Late game (turn 4) the more weathered-down squads (or the ones who got scared and moved backwards) will move to seize my objectives (avoiding the exploding, because they really cant hope to hold it even briefly, it will tear them apart.) while the healthy ones will push to grab enemy objectives. (naturally if turn 6-7 comes and I got a chance for an exploding objective with little to no resistance, I might as well try.)

My general anti-horde relies on mini-hording my own FW, hoping to gun them down. also the hammers can help with the cannons.
Anti-meq is also under a hail of pulse fire, but with some heavy plasma punishment from the twin hammers.
Anti-teq is lacking, I quess I'll have to trust rmy'r, broadsides and a hell lot of pulse to finish them.
Anti-tank is also a bit weak compared to regular tau, but between 3 broadsides to take heavy armor, 2x2 deathrains for light armor and 2 plasma hammers backup, I think I'll manage. though heavy-russ might be an issue.
Anti-air relies mostly on lots of twin-linked guns (16 S7, 3 S1), and worst case placing a squad on the skyfire objective for some pulse backup glancing if the enemy list has too many.

Enemy overview:
I expect very little aircraft. in our local area only 2 guys have more then a single jet, one has a mix of 3 IG types (i think a vulture, a valkaire and a vendetta), the other got 2 scythes. (AFAIK neither intends to participate)
As for fortifications, a few hold an aegis, fewer yet hold a bastion (the GK seems to love his bastion though, no clue why he bothers putting freaking gk inside...), maybe a single sky-shield and no fortress.
As for enemy armies, most popular are IG and necrons, with appearances of SM, SW, BA, DA, CSM, Tau, Eldar, DE, GK and nids. the other armies either got no players I know of, or the players got too little models to actually field a 1500 army. (so no orks, SoB, BT or demons to worry about.)

What do you think? concept any good? anythink I should be weary of? any problem I may be missing?

Alternate models available: (admiting, not all mine. I have a shared pool with another tau player for this torny, as he is a good friend, and if he comes, it will be with his nids.)
Effectively infinite gun drones (freaking come with EVERYTHING), some shield drones
7 pathfinders (not too happy to grant 2 easy points though)
Another hammerhead (all hammers can also be skyrays, but WHY?)
Devilfish (can also turn hammers to fish)
2 more crisis suits
3 more broadsides
8 more fire-warriors (40/48 are in the list)
50-ish kroot, 10 or so hounds.
SDT (if I go nuts)
12 stealth suits
Anu'va+honor guard (well, I guess I can take a guard as an etheral if I want one...)
Shadowsun+drones.

EDIT: seriously guys? no comments at all?
Last edited by boomwolf on Mar 25 2013 08:07, edited 1 time in total.

im2randomghgh
Shas

Re: 1500 Tournament R'myr (comments most welcomed)

Post#2 » Mar 24 2013 03:58

Most of your list seems pretty solid, but I'm concerned about the footslogging firewarriors. Remember, they are only slightly tougher than guardsmen, cost twice as much and can't blob for safety. If you intend to move forward and capture enemy objective, I would take at lease one devilfish, maybe two. Dropping a broadside w/TA should free up the points for one and help prevent overkill. Without devilfish, your plan goes completely out the window as soon as hammer and anvil is rolled/chosen by officials.

As far as the rest goes, there aren't too many problems I can see. I would avoid deep-striking the Deathrains. Maybe if they were fireknives or Fusion blaster+anything, but a deathrain's greatest asset is it's ability to pack long-range, accurate, effective firepower. They are transport killers, mainly. If you are killing transport on turn 3 or 4, the unit has gone to waste. As for deep-striking and making a unit extra-crispy...extremely risky. Just yesterday I had a game where lysander and 10 TH/SS terminators killed themselves on deepstrike, it's even easier when you are trying to get in flamer range.

As a side note, I've always loved R'ymyr, both in terms of model and rules.
6th edition
W-37
D-5
L-11

Shadow Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Mar 24 2013 10:50

I agree, it's a solid list but here are a few of my thoughts...

- I think you might be a little heavy on anti-tank, dropping a Broadside to free up some points probably wouldn't hurt in favor of a devil fish.

-Perhaps consolidate one of the squads into two 12 man units and make these your forward pushing units and put one in the devil fish.

- Perhaps reconsider the pathfinders? If fast attack are scoring you could swap them out for a regular squad without impacting your scoring units. I've found personally that marker lights are a force multiplier. Additionally, pathfinders tend to have a giant neon "shoot me" sign over them making them the target of lots of shooting. This can be leveraged to your advantage in order to protect your fire warriors.

- Second not deep striking your missile pod suits; with dawn of war style deployment you should be able to hunt light transports turn one and they can free up your rail guns for higher priority targets like landraiders or warlords.

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Mar 25 2013 08:07

Well, as for deathrains deepstrike, maybe I'm too used to face russes that I want to hit rear with them, probably will be a good choice to just deploy them as you two said.

About the "hammer and anvil", as the entire turny is "dawn of war" deployment (locked by rules), I do not worry. there are no great distances to cover, and I fix survivability issues with raw numbers, though I might want to take it up a notch.

Pathfinders, I just don,t want to have 2 more points up for the taking for my opponents (the finders and the fish), and I am even more concerned about running such a unit when I have no experience at using it for a turny. it is a bad time to test too much new tactics, R'myr is enough of a new deal here (had a chance to test the tower by now, I am SO building another ASAP), but at least he serves a similar goal to my regular aurora shas'o

As for AT overkill, perhaps you are right. again the habit of facing russes might have spoiled my TAC writing. either dropping the arrays or trimming the squad is in order.
Though, new discovery is that an opponent is about to bring a night scythe and a doom scythe with him, so airforce begin to trouble me.

What if I drop a broadside an spend the points to advance the FW teams to 4 groups of 12? (or 12-12-8-8-8 might be better?) yes, I wrote wrong the number of warriors left, there are 8 spares, not 2.
Or drop the arrays to set eh current FW as 12-12-8-8 with 'ui to the 12 man teams, and 10 points to spend on random upgrades. maybe TL for the tanks so I can split shots to where they will hurt the most?

EDIT:
As there are less then 10 hours till the turny, and I have to print my list, I finalized my list like so:

HQ (339pts)
Shas'o R'myr
2x gun Drone
Shas'vre Bodyguard: Targeting array, Plasma rifle, Burst cannon, Hard-wired multi-tracker, Hard-wired blacksun filter
Shas'vre Bodyguard: Targeting array, Plasma rifle, Burst cannon, Hard-wired multi-tracker tracker, Hard-wired blacksun filter

Elites (149pts)
XV8 'Crisis' Battlesuit Team (149pts)
Shas'ui TL: Twin-linked missile pod, Flamer, Hard-wired blacksun filter

Troops (520pts)
x12 Fire Warrior (120pts)
Remote Sensor Tower (40pts)

Heavy Support (488pts)
XV88 'Broadside' Battlesuit Team (218pts)
Shas'ui: Smart missile system
Shas'ui: Smart missile system
Shas'Vre: Smart missile system Hard-wired blacksun filter

TOTAL 1499 POINTS

Hoping the concept of will work out, for the greater good! wish me luck!

FINAL NOTE, RESULTS:

Using the above list I ended up third place with 20 points, behind a 22 point necron army (who I took down 4-2 at round 1), and an incredible 34 points of sisters with grey knights (who wiped the floor with me, though it did it to everyone)
(the rules were changed to allow allies and I missed it x_X)

The lessons I have learned:
Remote sensor towers are freaking amazing.
Plasma hammerheads are, while weaker then the railgun, actually better when yo compare costs.
R'myr is nice, but too costly and most his abilities will rarely make a difference, I do not intend to run him again under current rules.
Sisters and knights LOVE dawn of war deployment.
Blacksun filters are not important if you know its dawn of war.

In retrospection I should have trimmed the HQ to a mere shas'el or shas'o with CiB, plasma, TA if 'el, MT and stim, then spam some more suits, I didnt have enough to really put pressure with them.

Return to “Archival Datacore”