Rising Star: Cold Star Commander In 8th Edition

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Re: Rising Star: Cold Star Commander In 8th Edition

Post#73 » Jun 13 2017 11:40

disposable isnt so much as good as distracting.
N though perhaps im not right about fluff
But dirrscting sounds more tau than disposable.
Disposable you do not care that it dies
Distracing you care that its getting attention.

Both a single fusion suit or a coldstar can be distracting. To be fairly fair though. Only one is likely gunna be extracting after doing their precission job.

Instead of not caring the monat dies and letting the badguys jump it from all ends.
Make that our next turn Killbox.

Or Perhaps the one could help the other in this regard.
What i find so pleasing about coldstars is it can one turn support deepstrikers From even the other side of the map. Drones cant keep up to a coldstar. But they come down with fusion flamer crisis. That would love to be able to kayunne.

I just don't like the idea of not caring if something dies
Let it die with purpose. It attacked killed a priority targer and lived with purpose. don't let it stop there.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#74 » Jun 14 2017 09:07

Let's take a step back from the semantic argument and talk about deployment.

Coldstars seem like they'd be ideal for a refused flank strategy, starting on one side and quickly moving to the other to avoid part of an enemy army.

Deepstrike is also a possibility, but more complicated by their (relative to points) high force org slot count.
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

boomwolf
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#75 » Jun 14 2017 12:13

I wouldn't DS the coldstar. he's fast enough to go where he want anyway, so fielding him leaves you another unit to DS.

He can also be hidden outside of LOS with relative ease.

Using a refused flank could work, but honestly I think he's better as a part of a null-deploy strategy (just hidden coldstars, infiltrators and deep strikers.)

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#76 » Jun 14 2017 12:50

I really like him as a null deploy! He makes a great table deployment drop for a crisis alpha strike list, along with the mandatory homing beacon stealth teams.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#77 » Jun 14 2017 12:55

Panzer wrote:
Heldericht wrote:
Panzer wrote:I disagree. A quad Fusion Commander will do plenty on his own already.

Also if it's about fluff then Commander are still no Monats. Battlesuit pilots who lost the rest of their bonded brothers and decided to fight on their own because they can't work in another team anymore are Monats. Commander never work in a team with their bonded brothers once they get promoted.
If you ignore that part of the fluff, then every Commander is a Monat since he always acts on his own. ;)

And about the "solo operative role". I'm certain that any Commander loadout that's not exactly about buffing a unit can do that rather well. And if we extend that to non-suit units then there's also the Piranha who isn't much different than a lightweight Crisis statwise. ^^

It's not just about deepstriking down. The other key part is mobility. Once down the commander is relatively static compared to coldstar, ESPECIALLY with 18" guns.

Like I said, you can define it however you want. To me the Coldstar epitomizes the role.

Lol really now? The most commonly used Monat in 7th was the double Flamer Crisis and the double Fusion Blaster Crisis. Both had a mobility of 6+2d6 inch and a weapon range of ~8"-18". That's not much different than how it is now (you advance 8+d6" with flamer and can't get tied up in melee even).

I get that you think the Coldstar is super awesome. So do I. But saying the other are no Monat when judged by pure playstyle is just wrong lol

You decide what's wrong now? Lol

You do you.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#78 » Jun 14 2017 12:56

Iron-Fist wrote:Let's take a step back from the semantic argument and talk about deployment.

Coldstars seem like they'd be ideal for a refused flank strategy, starting on one side and quickly moving to the other to avoid part of an enemy army.

Deepstrike is also a possibility, but more complicated by their (relative to points) high force org slot count.

Yeah keeping them on the table is best, they can move just about anywhere they want with ease and join up with other deepstriking units. Fantastic unit.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#79 » Jun 14 2017 01:55

Heldericht wrote:
Panzer wrote:
Heldericht wrote:
It's not just about deepstriking down. The other key part is mobility. Once down the commander is relatively static compared to coldstar, ESPECIALLY with 18" guns.

Like I said, you can define it however you want. To me the Coldstar epitomizes the role.

Lol really now? The most commonly used Monat in 7th was the double Flamer Crisis and the double Fusion Blaster Crisis. Both had a mobility of 6+2d6 inch and a weapon range of ~8"-18". That's not much different than how it is now (you advance 8+d6" with flamer and can't get tied up in melee even).

I get that you think the Coldstar is super awesome. So do I. But saying the other are no Monat when judged by pure playstyle is just wrong lol

You decide what's wrong now? Lol

You do you.

As much as you decide that it's wrong the way I state it is? Hypocrite much?

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#80 » Jun 14 2017 03:02

Panzer wrote:As much as you decide that it's wrong the way I state it is? Hypocrite much?

Lol... I never said anything was wrong. Did you even read what I've written?

You're arguing for no reason. Believe your definition, no one cares. Stop derailing the thread into this pointless game about semantics.

I'm going to ignore any future posts about this crap.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#81 » Jun 14 2017 03:26

Lol okay so that's how it goes.
Guess discussing with you is pointless then. My bad, I won't do it again in the future. :roll:

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#82 » Jun 14 2017 03:56

Guys we are done with that discussion. Please return to topic. Please stay civil, we are the best 40k community online because we don't take this kind of stuff personal.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#83 » Jun 14 2017 04:09

Heldericht wrote:
Iron-Fist wrote:Let's take a step back from the semantic argument and talk about deployment.

Yeah keeping them on the table is best, they can move just about anywhere they want with ease and join up with other deepstriking units. Fantastic unit.

I wonder if Coldstars have a place with more static forces as well? Perhaps replacing or supporting other mobile units like stealth suits? If they operate from the rear they can take more support oriented gear like drone controllers over survival gear like shield generators.

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#84 » Jun 14 2017 04:54

Iron-Fist wrote:
I wonder if Coldstars have a place with more static forces as well? Perhaps replacing or supporting other mobile units like stealth suits? If they operate from the rear they can take more support oriented gear like drone controllers over survival gear like shield generators.

Feel like Drone controller is a waste of a slot on a commander since they're BS2+, better to shoot with them.

Especially on a Coldstar since their mobility is wasted if you have to stay near the drones.

But since the High output burst cannon is basically 2 burst cannons, in effect they get 5 slots instead of the regular commander's 4 (though with more restrictions).

So you could do that and buff drones all game, then just use the commander for last turn objective grabbing with its crazy movement.

aracerssx
Shas'Saal

Post#85 » Jun 14 2017 05:32

I'm starting to think despite what was quoted earlier that ATS does work on their cc weapon ... since the wargear specifically gives example of improving ap 0. Not to mention codex/index always overrules brb

jagonchen
Shas'Saal

Post#86 » Jun 14 2017 05:46

Is the Coldstar becoming a kind of flyrant? :?

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#87 » Jun 14 2017 05:50

aracerssx wrote:I'm starting to think despite what was quoted earlier that ATS does work on their cc weapon ... since the wargear specifically gives example of improving ap 0. Not to mention codex/index always overrules brb

AP 0 can be improved, but you specifically cannot modify AP - unfortunately, and the basic CC weapon is AP -

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#88 » Jun 14 2017 05:52

jagonchen wrote:Is the Coldstar becoming a kind of flyrant? :?

You mean a single bright note that kept a codex going for years?I can only hope lol

But really I think there are several equally effective units and strategies... coldstar isn't even THAT cost effective at damage dealing, it just brings a kind of unique edge with its speed.

jagonchen
Shas'Saal

Post#89 » Jun 14 2017 06:17

lol something like that or just an auto include :neutral:

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#90 » Jun 14 2017 07:00

jagonchen wrote:lol something like that or just an auto include :neutral:

Doesn't seem like an auto include so far, especially if you're going gunline with broadsides, etc. But a very good choice for some lists.

Return to “Tau Tactics”