Tau Ghostkeel....is it a viable option>?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Plainshow
Shas

Re: Tau Ghostkeel....is it a viable option>?

Post#55 » Sep 30 2017 07:06

I have two more on my shelf that I think I'll finish and deck out with Fusion. I really want to work the non-Commander List angle a bit more, and now I'm encouraged to try. I'm also pretty optimistic that the Ghostkeel feels about right points-wise and is less likely to be adjusted in Chapter Approved or the Codex. However, I do think two things are primed to change, that might give the Ghostkeel a buff indirectly.

One, I would not be surprised to see the Markerlight table get a re-work. I like the new system of leaving the tokens out and all units benefiting from them. That almost seems inspired by the same type of idea that Coordinated Firepower was, but works simply while being fluffy. It also doesn't punish an MSU approach to list building like the old Markerlights did. If +1 BS gets lowered, or some type of wound assistance shows up (re-roll 1s is fairly common in other Factions), or really anything that generally makes the Markerlight table increase the effectiveness of either volume of fire shooting or quality shooting, the Ghostkeel can capitalize on either or both.

Secondly, if Battlesuits in general get some buffs, that would not be shocking. Multi-Trackers and Blacksun Filters used to be standard on all suits, and many people still have suspicions that Jet Pack and/or Battlesuit keywords may be getting some utility. If we get our Support Systems changed a bit, or see new ones, the Ghostkeel is in a nice spot to make opportune use of beneficial ones due to it's flexible loadout and medium pricetag.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#56 » Sep 30 2017 03:04

Is it a viable option? Well...depends.
In casual games? Surely. Barely though. It has its difficulties for its cost.
In really competetive games? Not really.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#57 » Oct 02 2017 01:26

I've been having allot of success with an all fusion ghostkeel. Nice anti-armor unit with a lot of durability and tactical flexibility for the price. I feel offensively it struggles due to the inconsistency of the fusion collider and 4+ bs, but with markerlight support it can do some serious damage.

I've found that aggressive deployments where the keel is unsupported tend to not work out well for me. I've been using it as a line unit supported by drones where it can really benefit from the electro warfare suit and savior protocols. It moves fast enough to be deployed safely and still end up where it needs to be.
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

Plainshow
Shas

Post#58 » Oct 02 2017 04:59

Blindeye wrote:I feel offensively it struggles due to the inconsistency of the fusion collider and 4+ bs, but with markerlight support it can do some serious damage.

How many Markerlights do you typically pack in a 2k list? I have been fielding about 20, but feel like I need to either grab more (probably Drones), or work my list toward a Tidewall section or two, in order to keep my Markerlights firing longer.

Blindeye
Shas'Saal

Post#59 » Oct 02 2017 06:48

Plainshow wrote:How many Markerlights do you typically pack in a 2k list?

I've been playing mainly 1500 pt games as my local shop does 1500 pt tournaments. I normally run 15 marker lights (2 squads of 5 Pathfinders, 4 Marker Drones and a Fireblade). The lower point limit might be another reason I've been having success with the Ghostkeel.
Through Unity Devastation.
Blindeye Cadre Log

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#60 » Oct 02 2017 11:11

I think that Ghostkeels are fine, but are overshadowed by Commanders somewhat. As metas continue to develop and we start seeing more swarms, I think that Ghostkeel stock will begin to rise since they are not as vulnerable to being locked away from their targets as Commanders, which are able to be blocked by proper swarm deployment. Ghostkeels can be pushed back by this, but still get that big 12" move during the first turn.

Alternatively, if you're playing in any kind of limited format that restricts your available HQ slot in some way (i.e. a format that is 1 Battalion, 0-1 Super Heavy Auxiliary, 0-1 Fortification Network), and you can't run more than three Fusion Commanders, this gives you another Fusion source, albeit one not as consistent.

Return to “Tau Tactics”