Cadre Fireblades: Our true Markerlights

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
gmaleron
Shas

Cadre Fireblades: Our true Markerlights

Post#1 » Jun 17 2017 09:10

Haven't seen this discussed so figured I would bring it up, with all of the talk surrounding Markerlights and the best unit to run them maybe somewhat of a unique approach but why not focus on the Cadre Fireblade? For only 42pts. You get a character who hits on a 2+ meaning he can't be targeted if there are other units in front of him and taking 5 only costs 210 points and also would give us five drops which would allow us to put a lot of suit teams in reserve if we wanted to. Anyone else thought of this or have any thoughts?

Jefffar
Shas'Vre

Re: Cadre Fireblades: Our true Markerlights

Post#2 » Jun 17 2017 09:46

I don't think a bunch of fireblades as a primary marker source is a really good idea. It's a lot of points for a single token and I suspect characters are going to not be as hard to take out as we think, especially ones with only 4+ armour.

On the other hand, as the first step in a markerlight cascade including Pathfinders/Markerdrones I think there may be a role. The high hit probability first token will improve the odds of the follow up unit putting a further 4 tokens in place.

Vector Strike
Shas'La

Post#3 » Jun 17 2017 09:53

If you do that, you won't get first turn ever!

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Jun 17 2017 09:59

Vector Strike wrote:If you do that, you won't get first turn ever!

Unless you put then in a Fish

gmaleron
Shas

Post#5 » Jun 17 2017 10:06

High number of IG armies at my store would actually be somewhat equal in terms of drops.

Panzer
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 17 2017 10:12

Jefffar wrote:I don't think a bunch of fireblades as a primary marker source is a really good idea. It's a lot of points for a single token and I suspect characters are going to not be as hard to take out as we think, especially ones with only 4+ armour.

On the other hand, as the first step in a markerlight cascade including Pathfinders/Markerdrones I think there may be a role. The high hit probability first token will improve the odds of the follow up unit putting a further 4 tokens in place.

Yeah it really isn't if you have some deep striking units or proper sniper unit.
Unless you bubble wrap your characters with your whole army (means sticking close together and hoping no enemy ever breaches your lines) or buy dedicated decently sized bubble wrap units you will lose squishy characters like a Fireblade rather quickly.

I don't think Fireblades are bad and they do awesomely to support your Markerlight sources but you shouldn't depend on just them imo.

Supershrew
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Jun 17 2017 10:33

I'm using the cadre fireblade as my first markerlight( the match) . Will allow commanders to reroll misses and increases the chance of getting my pathfinders to get 4 extra on high priority targets ( land raiders and knights for example ).

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui

Post#8 » Jun 17 2017 02:45

QimRas wrote:

Can you point out where this is from to me?
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

Heldericht
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Jun 17 2017 03:30

You could put 5 of them in a Shieldline for a sturdy and reliable markerlight source which counts as one drop for deployment. Bit expensive though. Depends on how badly you need all 5 markerlights (say you're running a lot of seeker missiles)

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Jun 17 2017 03:41

Iron-Fist wrote:
QimRas wrote:

Can you point out where this is from to me?

https://17890-presscdn-0-51-pagely.netd ... ry-ENG.pdf

Third question on page 3.

Return to “Tau Tactics”