Modified Fish of Fury Tactic?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Shas'o P'ikle R'ik
Shas'Saal

Re: Modified Fish of Fury Tactic?

Post#19 » Jan 28 2018 11:36

Sorry for the necro posting, but now that our Codex is a few weeks away it's time to fire up ATT's servitors...anyways which way is it more effective to use devilish in 8th edition?
The "Huey" Method--- multiple trips shuttling a large amount of troops, say2 Devilish in a 1500pt army 2x trips bringing 1 squad of 12 FW, then 1 squad of 11 w/ fireblade? (Assuming your Dfish is not full health at turn 3)
Or the "Pavelow" method--one trip, one squad per vehicle, with fire support after deployment, say 3x Devilfish with 1 squad of 6 FW, 1 squad of 5 FW, and a Fireblade, with the Devilfish giving support to said infantry for a turn before being wounded beyond practical use?

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#20 » Jan 28 2018 11:57

Shas'o P'ikle R'ik wrote:Sorry for the necro posting, but now that our Codex is a few weeks away it's time to fire up ATT's servitors...anyways which way is it more effective to use devilish in 8th edition?
The "Huey" Method--- multiple trips shuttling a large amount of troops, say2 Devilish in a 1500pt army 2x trips bringing 1 squad of 12 FW, then 1 squad of 11 w/ fireblade? (Assuming your Dfish is not full health at turn 3)
Or the "Pavelow" method--one trip, one squad per vehicle, with fire support after deployment, say 3x Devilfish with 1 squad of 6 FW, 1 squad of 5 FW, and a Fireblade, with the Devilfish giving support to said infantry for a turn before being wounded beyond practical use?

Given how vital it is to fire everything on turns 1 and 2, I would personally avoid doing anything that involves "two trips". If you truly want to use a whole mess of Devilfish, the best tactic may be to have 1-2 Devilfish full of Fire Warriors with one Fireblade, and one Devilfish just full of Fire Warriors. That way the three deployed squads could all work together, or two of the squads (one w/ Fireblade, one w/o) could work together while one (w/ Fireblade) worked alone.

So I guess I would prefer your "Pavelow" method. Keep everything in range, everything firing, and everything supporting everything else.

gunrock
Shas

Post#21 » Jan 29 2018 12:41

I know that this got partially explored in the the dronefish thread, but one of the tactics not mentioned in this thread is combining gun drones + fish + Fireblade with deep-striking units. Something that emerged from the previous discussion is that none of the devilfish combos are that points efficient on their own after considering loss of turn one shooting and the cost of the transport, but from the perspective of using the devilfish to basically extend the shooting life of another unit, using a transport has some merit. Something like that would look like:

11 gun drones + 2 on the devilfish
1 fire blade
3 XV8 w. 8 CIB + DC + 6 gun drones

lately, I've been pretty skeptical of anything that involves a devilfish, but I think the above combination at least makes the devilish more reasonable in that: you're rounding out the cost of the transport with cheaper deep strike drones, your getting better mileage out of your drone controller, your effectively buying 2 extra turns of shooting on your CIB's, your stacking enough drones to make fire blade worth it as well as getting a markerlight to a unit that very much benefits from it, plus whatever benefit you gain from have a big obtrusive flying tank to charge things..
All the rivers run into the sea, Yet the sea is not full; Unto the place whither the rivers go, Thither they go again.

Return to “Tau Tactics”