Modified Fish of Fury Tactic?

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Modified Fish of Fury Tactic?

Post#1 » Jun 20 2017 01:13

So, I have been contemplating a modified Fish of Fury Tactic. Two Devilfish work in tandem. When ready to deploy troops, they take up formation in a V, with rear hatches the closest two points. Two teams of Firewarriors deploy between the two Devilfish. Drones detach and act as both a screen against assaulting units, or a screen for incoming fire. This can be further boosted by the presence of a Fireblade in one of the Devilfish, allowing the output of 50% more shots (not sure if two Fireblades would stack bonuses or not). When drones have entered CC, or troops are ready to move to next point, the embark and Devilfish bug out with their superior speed.

This tactic would allow for rapid deployments of a Tau gun line, and help to keep them relatively safe. Also, if resources are being diverted to take them out, these are divided forces that can be dealt with by other units (like hammerheads).

Thoughts?
Aur'ocq shath'r'i tskan sha Tau'va

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Re: Modified Fish of Fury Tactic?

Post#2 » Jun 20 2017 08:31

Interesting option, though I'd really need a visual to wrap my head around it.

The tactic I plan to use a lot of is to charge the target unit with my Devilfish to lock it in combat for a turn, then on my next turn I'd disembark my team, disengage the Devilfish and shoot the greater good out of my target.

I think this will work really well with Breachers because you can virtually garuntee your close range.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Jun 20 2017 08:43

Jefffar wrote:Interesting option, though I'd really need a visual to wrap my head around it.

The tactic I plan to use a lot of is to charge the target unit with my Devilfish to lock it in combat for a turn, then on my next turn I'd disembark my team, disengage the Devilfish and shoot the greater good out of my target.

I think this will work really well with Breachers because you can virtually garuntee your close range.

If its a shooting unit, charging the devilfish would work wonders. If its a decent melee unit. You may loose both the transport AND breachers with little effect.

I like the idea, but personally hate the FoF tactic in this edition.

Jefffar
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#4 » Jun 20 2017 10:44

Oh, I agree it's not particularly elegant or subtle.

You also shouldn't do it to a squad equipped with powerfists, thunder hammers or similar vehicle wrecking melee capabilities.

But it does take out a lot of the guesswork/calculation in the old Fish of Fury, it stops the target in place as well, preventing he enemy from escaping or repositioning somewhere more advantageous.

More importantly, its unexpected. Tau that charge first then shoot... Who is going to deploy expecting that?

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Jun 20 2017 10:57

Jefffar wrote:
More importantly, its unexpected. Tau that charge first then shoot... Who is going to deploy expecting that?

Definitely NOT the Spanish Inquisition!! :::(

In my 1st game of 8th edition i declared 3 charges on my 1st turn.
Riptide, commander and 10 drones charged a thunderhawk that flew into the middle of my deployment zone.
Everything (including the hawk) whiffed, but it was fun to actually roll charge dice for a change.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jun 21 2017 08:49

Jefffar wrote:Interesting option, though I'd really need a visual to wrap my head around it.

This is another interesting option I had not thought of, though I suppose target discretion would be necessary here due to the aforementioned power fisted or CC specialized units.

I could try and take some pictures to provide a visual when I get a chance, if that would help. I am hoping sometime down the road to be able to play test this theory. If I had a way to create a diagram otherwise, i would do so. In my head, it would work really well, but theory does not always achieve successful practice.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jun 21 2017 08:50

Lechai Skull wrote:
Jefffar wrote:

Riptide, commander and 10 drones charged a thunderhawk that flew into the middle of my deployment zone.
Everything (including the hawk) whiffed, but it was fun to actually roll charge dice for a change.

I think now that sweeping advances are a thing of the past ( I think anyways. Still have not seen all the advanced rules), I think rushing into combat with our monstrous creature units is a more viable option now. Especially with the ability to break and shoot.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Jun 21 2017 09:17

Crunchy_Monk wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:
Jefffar wrote:

I think now that sweeping advances are a thing of the past ( I think anyways. Still have not seen all the advanced rules), I think rushing into combat with our monstrous creature units is a more viable option now. Especially with the ability to break and shoot.

Not really.
Monstrous creatures used to get AP2 (so we got it too) now AP is tied to weapon profiles, of which we have none for melee. That means that the stormsurge and riptide have the same chance of killing a marine as an imperial guardsman...

(I actually just did the math, a riptide will do an average of 0.29 wounds to a marine in melee with its 4 attacks. Whereas 4 guardsman will do 0.22 wounds.)

Any way you slice it, our MC now suck in CC even more than previously.

*edit*
the only caveat to that is shooty vehicles. if you charge one, chances are both sides will whiff everything. BUT they get locked into combat and cant shoot, whereas we can. (except for eldar tanks etc)

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Jun 21 2017 09:22

Lechai Skull wrote:

*edit*
the only caveat to that is shooty vehicles. if you charge one, chances are both sides will whiff everything. BUT they get locked into combat and cant shoot, whereas we can. (except for eldar tanks etc)

That is an interesting idea. Maybe I will have to play test this tonight. :D

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#10 » Jun 21 2017 07:55

Crunchy_Monk wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:

*edit*

This seems like a really strong tactic. Only drawback is that shooty vehicles have a slight chance of nuking you in Overwatch. Not likely, but don't try this with a Baneblade :P

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Jun 21 2017 08:05

Arka0415 wrote:
Crunchy_Monk wrote:
Lechai Skull wrote:

*edit*

This seems like a really strong tactic. Only drawback is that shooty vehicles have a slight chance of nuking you in Overwatch. Not likely, but don't try this with a Baneblade :P

baneblades and landraiders are actually the PERFECT target to lock down in combat.

Activate your nova reactor, choose the 3++ save, shoot the tank, then charge it. with 2+/3++/6+FNP you could even survive counter charges. Fly out of combat on your turn if you wish and then shoot again.

Unfortunately you cant charge again after leaving combat. But i doubt your opponent would stay locked in with you.

I'm assuming here that the baneblade doesn't have any special rules that negate being locked in combat. Haven't read the imperial books yet.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#12 » Jun 21 2017 08:18

Lechai Skull wrote:baneblades and landraiders are actually the PERFECT target to lock down in combat.

Activate your nova reactor, choose the 3++ save, shoot the tank, then charge it. with 2+/3++/6+FNP you could even survive counter charges. Fly out of combat on your turn if you wish and then shoot again.

Unfortunately you cant charge again after leaving combat. But i doubt your opponent would stay locked in with you.

I'm assuming here that the baneblade doesn't have any special rules that negate being locked in combat. Haven't read the imperial books yet.

The Baneblade can not only shoot after combat (pretty sure) but it has buckets of Heavy Flamers too. Also, if it can land a hit or two with its Adamantium Tracks, it can deal a decent amount of damage. Baneblades are going to be nasty in 8th Edition.

Still though, there's no way it could actually kill a Riptide in overwatch/combat. It just wouldn't be a good trade.

Lechai Skull wrote:landraiders

Haha, yeah. This. Land Raiders get absolutely neutered in close combat. No special rules, shooting totally locked down. RIP.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jun 21 2017 08:45

This is a picture kinda demonstrating what I was talking about earlier. Got to play tonight, will write a batrep shortly.

This is a slightly modified version using a HH instead of a second fish. We were playing a 25 PL game. It worked just like I thought it would, more or less, but didnt have the best match up to truly test it out. Also, using two fish I would have placed them a little further a part, and positioned troops differently (one guy is outside of the 3 inch disembark, but I didn't notice until after the picture. When positioned correctly you can still squeeze all the Firewarriors in there with the drones. Luckily blast templates are a thing of the past/
Last edited by Crunchy_Monk on Jun 21 2017 08:48, edited 1 time in total.

Lechai Skull
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Jun 21 2017 08:47

I certainly hope the dice is for damage taken, not remaining wounds...

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Jun 21 2017 08:48

Lechai Skull wrote:I certainly hope the dice is for damage taken, not remaining wounds...

He had taken one wound after the first round. I forgot to take the picture before hand.

Arka0415
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#16 » Jun 21 2017 08:53

The way you have it set up, I think it could only work once, since the Drones can't re-attach to their original vehicles.

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Jun 21 2017 09:20

Arka0415 wrote:The way you have it set up, I think it could only work once, since the Drones can't re-attach to their original vehicles.

They can follow the vehicles and still provide a fire screen, but it still works.

I still like the idea of ramming the Devilfish to lock a unit in combat. Disembark the next turn, fire the hell storm of shots, then charge. Lol

Crunchy_Monk
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#18 » Jun 21 2017 09:21

Also, battle report is up.

Return to “Tau Tactics”