XV9 Hazard Support Team - 8th ed. discussion

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: XV9 Hazard Support Team - 8th ed. discussion

Post#19 » Jul 07 2017 07:53

derelictwinter wrote:Just as a nitpicky note, while you did a great job showing the point considerations, the point cost ratios cant really show another important factor in the decision. In that we have a lot of great HQ options and the xv9 is the only current legal monat alternative to the commander. It can be an important note, particularly if you're playing in a tournament format that forces everyone to use the patrol detachment (relevant to a local tournament just held at my FLGS).

We'll need to see what tournaments start looking like I guess. I think it would be far more likely that a tournament bans Forgeworld models, than one that forces everyone to use the same detachment or something like that. Outside of that restriction though, given the rules for HQs in Detachments I don't think we'll ever run out of space to have extra HQs.

derelictwinter
Shas

Post#20 » Jul 07 2017 07:56

Arka0415 wrote:We'll need to see what tournaments start looking like I guess. I think it would be far more likely that a tournament bans Forgeworld models, than one that forces everyone to use the same detachment or something like that.

It's funny that you say that, because that's my FLGS's mentality. They allow forgeworld but restrict detachment. We will have to see how tournament meta goes across the boars. I'm sure it'll be a developing matter.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#21 » Jul 07 2017 08:25

derelictwinter wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:We'll need to see what tournaments start looking like I guess. I think it would be far more likely that a tournament bans Forgeworld models, than one that forces everyone to use the same detachment or something like that.

It's funny that you say that, because that's my FLGS's mentality. They allow forgeworld but restrict detachment. We will have to see how tournament meta goes across the boars. I'm sure it'll be a developing matter.

Ah, that's funny! Definitely then, the Detachment requirements could be really important, just depends on local tournament meta.

Rogue Sun
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Aug 01 2017 05:19

Hey guys, this is slightly unrelated but figured it wasn't worth starting a new thread. I really like the rules for xv9s but absolutely loathe the models. Would 3 crisis suits with the Iridium armor bits and 4 underslung burst cannons be an acceptable stand in? I know my local group would be down but how about larger tournaments?

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Aug 01 2017 09:05

I don't think so. The XV9 are a head or two taller and come on a bigger base. maybe someone else could post a reference photo

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Aug 01 2017 09:50

But, but... XV9 is the coolest battlesuit!

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#25 » Aug 01 2017 09:53

*cough*

Maybe the coolest if we'd ignore Coldstar, Broadsides, Ghostkeel and Riptides. :D

Rogue Sun
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#26 » Aug 01 2017 12:02

Vector Strike wrote:But, but... XV9 is the coolest battlesuit!

I really dislike how angular they are, how enourmous their head looks and how their hip appears to be in a constant state of thrusting. They look more Gundam than Tau IMO.

Would Commmander models be more appropriately sized? Anyone have pics of size comparison between new Xv8s, commander and Xv9s?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#27 » Aug 02 2017 09:51

Rogue Sun wrote:
Vector Strike wrote:But, but... XV9 is the coolest battlesuit!

I really dislike how angular they are, how enourmous their head looks and how their hip appears to be in a constant state of thrusting. They look more Gundam than Tau IMO.

Would Commmander models be more appropriately sized? Anyone have pics of size comparison between new Xv8s, commander and Xv9s?

XV9s are a good bit larger than the old Crisis suits, and a bit larger than the new Crisis suits. Commanders are larger than both. If you want to use XV8s as XV9s, you're going to need to do some conversion work- I don't think there's an easy fix.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#28 » Aug 02 2017 11:37

though since almost nobody who doesn't play T'au knows the actual difference of XV8 and XV9 models apart from maybe the weapons I would doubt that anybody would complain if you just put XV9 weapons on regular Crisis Suits. ;)

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#29 » Aug 02 2017 12:47

A head or two taller, and a shoulder across

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#30 » Aug 02 2017 12:55

Glarblar wrote:Image

A head or two taller, and a shoulder across

That's the old Crisis which is a good bit smaller than the current ones.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#31 » Aug 02 2017 01:04

I havn't actually gotten a hold of the new Crisis, that's interesting

Kunas Ka
Shas'Saal

Post#32 » Sep 06 2017 02:49

I just built one last night because I also hate resin. I used pieces from the coldstar commander kit, iridium armour xv8 and under slung burst cannons. Looks very different from xv8. Just trying to figure out the base problem

Rogue Sun
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#33 » Sep 07 2017 09:42

Kunas Ka wrote:I just built one last night because I also hate resin. I used pieces from the coldstar commander kit, iridium armour xv8 and under slung burst cannons. Looks very different from xv8. Just trying to figure out the base problem

Got any pics? Been considering doing much the same with the iridium armor and underslung burst cannons.

Return to “Tau Tactics”