Dark Hopes 8th edition guide to competitive battle strategy

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Re: Dark Hopes 8th edition guide to competitive battle strategy

Post#19 » Jul 23 2017 11:41

Fixes, and changing the unit list to a pro's and con's format. Will be adding a combos section later. Thanks for the input it's helping out.
If kroot eat orks, doesn't that make them omvivores?

TwilightFox
Shas'Saal

Post#20 » Jul 24 2017 05:23

Another bit of advice:

Under Hammerheads you stated, "I'm sure you already know how strong they are." No, actually. I'm new to the Tau (which is why I'm reading the guides ;)). I didn't know how strong Hammerheads were until I looked them up in Battlescribe after reading your article. I now know they are pretty awesome, but with just the context of your article I did not.

I think it would be more effective if you gave at least a bit of description about what makes them so strong, assuming your reader does not in fact already know how awesome they are. :)
TwilightFox's Profile (Link)
TwilightFox's Tau Army (Link)

StealthKnightSteg
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Jul 24 2017 08:01

TwilightFox wrote:Another bit of advice:

Under Hammerheads you stated, "I'm sure you already know how strong they are." No, actually. I'm new to the Tau (which is why I'm reading the guides ;)). I didn't know how strong Hammerheads were until I looked them up in Battlescribe after reading your article. I now know they are pretty awesome, but with just the context of your article I did not.

I think it would be more effective if you gave at least a bit of description about what makes them so strong, assuming your reader does not in fact already know how awesome they are. :)

Or provide a link to another great ATT article here ;)

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#22 » Jul 24 2017 03:34

TwilightFox wrote:Another bit of advice:

I'm already planning on it =D I'm half fished updating the list to a pro's and con's format so that info will be there!

Xanrag
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#23 » Jul 24 2017 03:39

I'm not a big fan of the railgun in the hammerhead but the updated pricing on the FW turrets make them very interesting. Having high yield missile pods and smart missiles on them makes them a missileside with bs3, more wounds and other benefits. The dual long range burst cannon also seems a beast against Infantry with strength 6 and high ROF.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#24 » Jul 25 2017 12:28

Xanrag wrote:I'm not a big fan of the railgun in the hammerhead but the updated pricing on the FW turrets make them very interesting. Having high yield missile pods and smart missiles on them makes them a missileside with bs3, more wounds and other benefits. The dual long range burst cannon also seems a beast against Infantry with strength 6 and high ROF.

There are benefits and drawbacks to a Missilehead.
BS3, more wounds and the Fly keyword sure are nice and so is the option to give it +1 to-hit from Longstrike. However they have a worse armor save, can't take Support Systems and can't get protected by Drones (especially Shield Drones again).

the dual long range BC is something I'd love to try myself though. It sounds like something even Orks would love. :D

Newtauplayer2016
Shas

Post#25 » Jul 26 2017 02:42

Thank you for putting this together.

It gave me a lot of new ideas, and plan to put these to the test in the near future.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#26 » Aug 05 2017 01:03

Minor updates and edits from recent faq. plans to add a tips and tricks section soon...ish. Busy nuking imperial bases in fate of Konor and making a crisis flamer unit.

Dsurion
Shas

Post#27 » Aug 05 2017 04:39

No thoughts on Aun'Shi?

And would it be possible to have some illustrated examples of your style of play? Even some pictures form Vassal would help.

Dark Hope
Gue'La
Gue'La

Post#28 » Aug 09 2017 10:18

Dsurion wrote:No thoughts on Aun'Shi?

And would it be possible to have some illustrated examples of your style of play? Even some pictures form Vassal would help.

I love the crap out of Aun'Shi. He's the only ethereal I actually like in the fluff. His model though unfortunately is just a more expensive ethereal with a better save and minor melee capability. If you're in melee combat with your ethereal something has already gone horribly wrong, and at that point the extra stats aren't going to help much.

I'll certainly think about getting some battle pics though to illustrate!

Return to “Tau Tactics”