Why 8th Gun Drons as OP

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Why 8th Gun Drons as OP

Post#1 » Jul 27 2017 10:09

I was doing some math before buying some tactical drones, and I realised that I'd stumbled across something awsome. Imagine 3 teams of 12 Tactical dones (make em all gun drones). That's 36 gun drones with 72 Twin-linked pulse carbines. So each pulse carbine does two shots normally (the 'normally' part we'll get to in a sec). So a standard 3 full teams of drones does a total of 144 shots per shooting phase (assualt 2 x 12 drones x two carbines x 3 teams = 144). That's not where it gets good. Since the carbines are Twin Linked, you get double the amount of shots (so assault 2 becomes assault 4). Therefore, you get a massive, dakka-heavy total of 288 shots on the shooting phase, and varying amounts within that total for overwatch. Pretty cool right???
Star Trek has returned. Imagine enterprise times Movie 5. Then times by cancer. That's how bad this series is.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Why 8th Gun Drons as OPAF

Post#2 » Jul 27 2017 10:14

Plus you only have to buy 9 boxes of tac drones
Star Trek has returned. Imagine enterprise times Movie 5. Then times by cancer. That's how bad this series is.

Shas'O Bentu'nan
Shas

Post#3 » Jul 27 2017 10:21

Consider what a fireblade adds... 1 extra shot PER CARBINE. Add a stealth team with drone controler in the mix and enjoy blowing knights up with a wall of dice!

This topic though has been covered in detail with a list that is some 90 drones with buffing support. Its a lot of dakka
Commander wiseblade

lantzkev
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Jul 27 2017 10:23

It's just four shots per drone not 8, twin linked doesn't exist

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Jul 27 2017 10:30

Vio'ra Mal'caor wrote:That's not where it gets good. Since the carbines are Twin Linked, you get double the amount of shots (so assault 2 becomes assault 4). Therefore, you get a massive, dakka-heavy total of 288 shots on the shooting phase, and varying amounts within that total for overwatch. Pretty cool right???

Huh? Since when was there a twin-linked rule?

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Jul 27 2017 10:46

That....is hardly news. People realised that from day one of the Index leaks and kept saying that all over the forum. :D

Also "Twin WeaponX Assault2" already means the shots got doubled. You don't double it again in your head, you just take the numbers you read from the weapons profile.
That aside, the Gun Drones DON'T have twin linked weapons. They simply have two Pulse Carbines instead of one Twin linked one. You get 2x2 shots per Drone as basis. Period.

Vio'ra Mal'caor
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Jul 27 2017 10:51

Frak!!!!!

materpillar
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Jul 27 2017 10:56

Gun drones are pretty widely acknowledged to be the most point efficient model in our codex in terms for points to wounds against basically anything.

That being said I highly doubt squads of 12 drones would be particularly good as they have an absolutely terrible leadership. They'll basically evaporate off the board once they come under any particular amount of shooting since a 4+ save isn't very good. Also, they have to shoot at whatever is closest, so a good opponent will abuse that rule to significantly reduce their battlefield effectiveness.

But yes, gun drones are quite good at killing stuff.
----- Akul Contingent -----
Engagement Results 54-18-8

Sunaj
Shas

Post#9 » Jul 28 2017 02:47

Having used a drone spam list discussed in viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25871

Sunaj wrote:Building this list after a friend let me proxy the drones with FW.
3 Outrider Detachments with the following:
= 1 CadreFB
= 1x4 suit Stealth team w/ 2 DC's
= 5x12 GD
and 1 detachment having a sixth team of 6
All for the affordable price of 1999.....

The leadership of the drones is appalling, I agree, and I have removed entire squads after rolling a 6 on Morale. But your opponent has a hard time figuring out how much damage is enough and usually over commits shooting resulting in a less than expected need of a morale checks in the first place.

And yes, I agree with the OP

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#10 » Jul 28 2017 08:39

Sunaj wrote:Having used a drone spam list discussed in viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25871

= 1 CadreFB
= 5x12 GD

The leadership of the drones is appalling, I agree, and I have removed entire squads after rolling a 6 on Morale. But your opponent has a hard time figuring out how much damage is enough and usually over commits shooting resulting in a less than expected need of a morale checks in the first place.

This. The morale is just too low to make multiple large squads viable.
Unless, of course, you bring an ethereal or two (possibly on hoverboards, though this isn't necessary because you can advance to keep up) to follow the drones around giving them leadership 9 and a 6+ fnp (or whichever ethereal buff you choose).

Aun'va could also be considered for this, he's not that expensive and he gives you a global reroll for morale checks.

As someone has pointed out in the past, it's weird how the tau equivalent of priests can make AI drones braver. But hey, whatever works, right?

Edit: Alternatively, be really annoying by just bringing 3x as many units of 4 drones.

Also, personally I'd bring the occasional marker drone or two to get the rerolling ones bonus for the gun drones. Not sure if the maths supports me on this but I feel the rerolls would make up for the lost shots if you bring maybe 2 markers in every group of 24 drones.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#11 » Jul 28 2017 08:58

Jburli wrote:Aun'va could also be considered for this, he's not that expensive and he gives you a global reroll for morale checks.

Yay, someone else who uses Aun'va!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#12 » Jul 28 2017 09:20

Jburli wrote:
Sunaj wrote:Having used a drone spam list discussed in viewtopic.php?f=48&t=25871

= 1 CadreFB
= 5x12 GD

This. The morale is just too low to make multiple large squads viable.
Unless, of course, you bring an ethereal or two (possibly on hoverboards, though this isn't necessary because you can advance to keep up) to follow the drones around giving them leadership 9 and a 6+ fnp (or whichever ethereal buff you choose).

Aun'va could also be considered for this, he's not that expensive and he gives you a global reroll for morale checks.

As someone has pointed out in the past, it's weird how the tau equivalent of priests can make AI drones braver. But hey, whatever works, right?

Edit: Alternatively, be really annoying by just bringing 3x as many units of 4 drones.

Also, personally I'd bring the occasional marker drone or two to get the rerolling ones bonus for the gun drones. Not sure if the maths supports me on this but I feel the rerolls would make up for the lost shots if you bring maybe 2 markers in every group of 24 drones.

Unfortunately after rereading ethereal buffs, they do not transfer to drones since they are neither infantry nor a battlesuit. So no real point in taking an ethereal with this list as I previously suggested. It was one of a few changes I made to the list.

Jburli
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#13 » Jul 28 2017 10:22

Yojimbob wrote:
Unfortunately after rereading ethereal buffs, they do not transfer to drones since they are neither infantry nor a battlesuit. So no real point in taking an ethereal with this list as I previously suggested. It was one of a few changes I made to the list.

Ah no, that's annoying! Maybe the units of 4 strategy isn't so silly after all?

The imperial Knight turns its auto battlecannon toward the endless sea of gun drones. The massive cannon had enough shots to easily destroy at least 10 drones in a single salvo. Finally, he had a weapon capable of cutting a swath through the gun drone legion.

"I'll be shooting them he says.

"OK," says his opponent "which four?" :D

You_Father_Sky
Shas

Re: Why 8th Gun Drons as OP

Post#14 » Aug 04 2017 11:41

Multiple large units 12 gun (I use 8 gun and 2 marker) are totally viable as I run them with R'alai in a controller swarm. DC + his leadership of 9, using the warlord trait make them super effective.

Don't have R'alai? Give the drones a 3 man stealth team with DC, and take a fireblade as your warlord (LD8). Many times you'll have a fireblade anyway for the volleyfire. Another great way of doing it.
"For the glory of Kauyon, of course!"

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#15 » Aug 04 2017 12:22

You_Father_Sky wrote:Multiple large units 12 gun (I use 8 gun and 2 marker) are totally viable as I run them with R'alai in a controller swarm. DC + his leadership of 9, using the warlord trait make them super effective.

Don't have R'alai? Give the drones a 3 man stealth team with DC, and take a fireblade as your warlord (LD8). Many times you'll have a fireblade anyway for the volleyfire. Another great way of doing it.

His warlord trait and his Ld9 do nothing to the drones... they are a different unit

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Aug 04 2017 12:23

The warlord trait just gives surrounding units +1 leadership. It's different from 7th

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#17 » Aug 04 2017 12:35

That's fine until you face enemies who reduce Leadership. Like Night Lords for example.

Having large units is only advantageous when you have buffs that target only one unit and to reduce your drops so you have a better chance of going first. Otherwise MSU is still the way to go.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#18 » Aug 04 2017 09:04

Glarblar wrote:The warlord trait just gives surrounding units +1 leadership. It's different from 7th

Doesn't it also give +1LD to himself? It would boost his Leadership, then other units in the area would make use of that boosted leadership. Works on Ethereals too.

Return to “Tau Tactics”