Why 8th Gun Drons as OP

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Re: Why 8th Gun Drons as OP

Post#19 » Aug 04 2017 09:22

Arka0415 wrote:
Glarblar wrote:The warlord trait just gives surrounding units +1 leadership. It's different from 7th

Doesn't it also give +1LD to himself? It would boost his Leadership, then other units in the area would make use of that boosted leadership. Works on Ethereals too.

I didn't think about it working for ethereals, I was just thinking commanders it wouldn't mean much

leo1925
Shas

Re: Why 8th Gun Drons as OPAF

Post#20 » Aug 05 2017 07:55

Yojimbob wrote:
Jburli wrote:
Sunaj wrote:Having used a drone spam list discussed in http://www.advancedtautactica.com/viewt ... 48&t=25871

The leadership of the drones is appalling, I agree, and I have removed entire squads after rolling a 6 on Morale. But your opponent has a hard time figuring out how much damage is enough and usually over commits shooting resulting in a less than expected need of a morale checks in the first place.

And yes, I agree with the OP

This. The morale is just too low to make multiple large squads viable.
Unless, of course, you bring an ethereal or two (possibly on hoverboards, though this isn't necessary because you can advance to keep up) to follow the drones around giving them leadership 9 and a 6+ fnp (or whichever ethereal buff you choose).

Aun'va could also be considered for this, he's not that expensive and he gives you a global reroll for morale checks.

As someone has pointed out in the past, it's weird how the tau equivalent of priests can make AI drones braver. But hey, whatever works, right?

Edit: Alternatively, be really annoying by just bringing 3x as many units of 4 drones.

Also, personally I'd bring the occasional marker drone or two to get the rerolling ones bonus for the gun drones. Not sure if the maths supports me on this but I feel the rerolls would make up for the lost shots if you bring maybe 2 markers in every group of 24 drones.

Unfortunately after rereading ethereal buffs, they do not transfer to drones since they are neither infantry nor a battlesuit. So no real point in taking an ethereal with this list as I previously suggested. It was one of a few changes I made to the list.

The invocation of the elements doesn't affect drones, the part of using the ethereal's leadership affects them just fine.
Last edited by leo1925 on Aug 06 2017 05:38, edited 1 time in total.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Aug 05 2017 08:52

materpillar wrote: Also, they have to shoot at whatever is closest, so a good opponent will abuse that rule to significantly reduce their battlefield effectiveness.

This. It radically reduces their combat effectiveness because you can't target priority. Further, because you declare targets at the same time, a 4 man unit of anything will soak up an entire drone squad for a turn, even after you have paid a premium for the devilish to deploy them.

They are good, but I think that they are a key example of where Raw dakka doesn't equal strong outcomes.

deathboon
Shas'Saal

Post#22 » Aug 05 2017 09:44

Emberkahn wrote:
materpillar wrote: Also, they have to shoot at whatever is closest, so a good opponent will abuse that rule to significantly reduce their battlefield effectiveness.

This. It radically reduces their combat effectiveness because you can't target priority. Further, because you declare targets at the same time, a 4 man unit of anything will soak up an entire drone squad for a turn, even after you have paid a premium for the devilish to deploy them.

They are good, but I think that they are a key example of where Raw dakka doesn't equal strong outcomes.

Honestly I think it shouldn't be an issue, if you're a good T'au player, it's a lot easier for you to make sure the target you want is closest than it is for an opponent to make sure it's not.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Aug 06 2017 03:38

Emberkahn wrote:They are good, but I think that they are a key example of where Raw dakka doesn't equal strong outcomes.

Actually they are the prime example of where raw dakka overcomes such shortcomings. ^^

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Aug 06 2017 05:22

deathboon wrote:Honestly I think it shouldn't be an issue, if you're a good T'au player, it's a lot easier for you to make sure the target you want is closest than it is for an opponent to make sure it's not.

Exactly! Remember, shooting comes after the movement phase, and Gun Drones certainly have a good move characteristic! Even if the enemy moves some of their units around, you'll probably be able to fire on your preferred target, or at least a close second choice.

Return to “Tau Tactics”