Thoughts on the XV107 R'Varna Battlesuit

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Colt
Shas'La
Shas'La

Thoughts on the XV107 R'Varna Battlesuit

Post#1 » Aug 02 2017 12:20

So... maybe i have been mistaken, maybe I was a fool. Ever since the Imperial Armour dropped I was quite disappointed with how the R'Varna looked in paper.
° Only 2 support systems available for her
° A gun that with Str 6 didn't looked too mighty
° A nova reactor set of abilities that looked meh
° The most expensive of all the riptide versions
Yeah the XV107 didn't looked so bright to me... yet I took her for a ride today. The Konor campaign dropped in and I defended in 3 different games in a row winning all of them. To say the least defending in this first Konor mission Astaramies is daaaaamn one sided! damn hard and brutal for the attacker who has very few options for scoring, so i decided to make my attempt on the attack side. And yes the lady was in and boy oh boy what a performance.

The R'varna brought the pain to all it shot, making consistent series of of 12+ nova shots each turn it delivered the final blows on a Exocrine and a Trygon, inflicted consistent damage on a Tervigon and a Spore and also removing some hive guards and Zoanthropes from the table when splitting fire to other targets...

In the end I lost, as expected, but the XV107 did way more that what I planed for her all at a 60" range and even against units it "should not have to"... at least not in my eyes.

I share this in the aim of all of your experiences with the XV107 R'Varna Battlesuit, was it just me and a series of luck rolls or you have similar results with her?... Thanks for ready and for your answers.
N00bie Wargamer
Army: Fior'Serra Sept Tau 5000 PTS

Meatstick
Shas'Saal

Re: Thoughts on the XV107 R'Varna Battlesuit

Post#2 » Aug 02 2017 02:37

I have run my Rvarna once and I am on the fence. Statistically what it did in my games made no sense but it did some craziness.

First turn it flat out did 18 wounds to a stormraven with 3 marker lights and my commander reroll to hit ability. I was shocked that it one shotted one so easily but 5+ was on my side clearly. The next turn it did 1 wound to a razorback and then the following turn BOOM! another stormraven falling out the sky!

Regardless to say it did nothing else the whole game so I have very mixed feelings as there was some serious blind luck with that guy.

I will say I'm still in two minds about the guy but I will try him again later in the future.

Maxwell
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 02 2017 06:58

Even at str6 it seems a bit too strong in my eyes. Statistically 12 shots at 3 dmg (which is .5 less than d6 on avg). That’s the damage equivalent of ~10 fusion blasters with less strength but way more range. But saves obviously make a difference here and I didn’t do all the math.

I guess his weakness is being engaged in melee? Or just getting shot off the table at 14 wounds.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#4 » Aug 02 2017 07:07

Why would S6 be too strong? Against most multi-wound targets it would wound on 3+ or 5+ with the exception of the few T6 models. S5 wouldn't change that (except against T5/6 models) and S4 would definitely be too weak for such a weapon.

The difference between S6 and S8 is huge so I don't think the comparison with Fusion Blaster is appropriate.

relasine
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 02 2017 03:09

R'varna is a match-up dependent, feast-or-famine utility piece. If you queue into something like mech Orks or Necrons, R'varna is going to be gorged and fat with kills by the game's end. Against something like Russ-heavy Guard or a Storm Raven spam, R'varna will struggle to pay the bills.

Return to “Tau Tactics”