looking for advice

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
darkduck
Shas

looking for advice

Post#1 » Aug 05 2017 02:17

Crisis Suits equipment: ive been thinking of making a 3 flamer crisis suit unit to bbq some militarium units since the flamers is a d6 hits and a full squad of flamers is 9d6 always hits weapons would be interesting to try out. would this be a viable tactic or equip them with other weapons to be more effective?

in 8th edition a riptide cost as much as a stormsurge from what ive seen, im thinking of getting another ghostkeel instead of a riptide because of the points cost, but a another ghostkeel a better option?

lastly is the hammerhead anygood for taking out vehicles and/or troops, im thinking of the heavy rail canon.

thanks in advance

Antao
Shas'Saal

Re: looking for advice

Post#2 » Aug 05 2017 06:43

I've been running a 3 suit unit with 2 flamers and a fusion blaster each against astra militarim and I've been quite pleased with them.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 05 2017 09:05

In this edition there is a very clear hierarchy of unit effectiveness and taking anything further down the hierarchy is volunteering to be less competitive. Subject to minor disagreement it goes something like this:

Commander = Cold Star > Stealth Suit > Body Guard (Situationally) > Crisis Suits

The BS of crisis suits, coupled with their cost just makes them ineffective. The exception to this I think is with flamers. The problem that I have with flamers though is that you drop in at 9" with 8" range, meaning you can't shoot first turn. I think to maximise their effectiveness taking them with Stealth Suits to give them that marginally closer charge distance is a good idea.

I further think that they come into their own predominantly vs CC armies like orks and tyranids. They are tough enough to survive combat, in which case you more or less get your 9d6 every single turn, assuming they are charged, which is nasty.

This all being said, I still think that even in optimal situations they are less desirable than a Commander or Cold Star for the same cost.

Regarding the big guys, I think the general consensus is that the Riptide is just straight up worse compared to the Storm surge and Ghost keel. I don't think it's likely however that most sub 2k armies will be fielding more than 1 of either of these. I haven't seen many lists but on paper they don't quite seem to have the firepower. But happy to be persuaded otherwise.

MNGamer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 05 2017 09:39

If you are planning to take a hammerhead use long strike, he not only hits on 2s but gives a +1 to all other hammerheads within six inches including himself.
Even when broken, a sword may still cut~Aun'ko'vash

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 07 2017 08:48

MNGamer wrote:If you are planning to take a hammerhead use long strike, he not only hits on 2s but gives a +1 to all other hammerheads within six inches including himself.

And adds 1 to wound rolls if hitting a monster or vehicle for all his weapons meaning that he also wounds everything currently in the game on a 2+ and triggers the rails extra d3 mortal wounds on a 5+. Definitely a solid choice but still falls short of a predator in points effectiveness per wound inflicted sadly.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#6 » Aug 07 2017 07:06

9x Flamer squads are useful for defending a gunline (killer overwatch!), attacking advancing hordes, and blasting T3/4 multi-wound models. Remember- don't use Manta Strike. Instead, advance them forward and use their 16+D6" threat range to bring the fight to your opponent.

Regarding Emberkahn's points:

Emberkahn wrote:In this edition there is a very clear hierarchy of unit effectiveness and taking anything further down the hierarchy is volunteering to be less competitive. Subject to minor disagreement it goes something like this:

Commander = Cold Star > Stealth Suit > Body Guard (Situationally) > Crisis Suits

The BS of crisis suits, coupled with their cost just makes them ineffective. The exception to this I think is with flamers. The problem that I have with flamers though is that you drop in at 9" with 8" range, meaning you can't shoot first turn. I think to maximise their effectiveness taking them with Stealth Suits to give them that marginally closer charge distance is a good idea.

I wouldn't try and argue there's a "clear" hierarchy when one hasn't been established yet. Coldstars and Stealthsuits have wildly different roles both compared to each other and to the other units in that list, and Bodyguards are less valuable for their cost than normal XV8s. Plus, it's clear that XV8s have their own niche too- they make excellent Gun Drone caddies when they use Manta Strike, able to dump an absolute bucket of firepower when armed with CIBs (or Flamers if you don't use Manta Strike) with only one deployment "drop." Commanders offer more firepower per point, but I wouldn't write off XV8s just yet- they still appear in many top players' lists, and for good reason too!

Emberkahn wrote:Regarding the big guys, I think the general consensus is that the Riptide is just straight up worse compared to the Storm surge and Ghost keel. I don't think it's likely however that most sub 2k armies will be fielding more than 1 of either of these. I haven't seen many lists but on paper they don't quite seem to have the firepower. But happy to be persuaded otherwise.

This is definitely true, I think. The Riptide is worse point-for-point than the Ghostkeel or Stormsurge, but those units aren't all that amazing either. Each has a different role in the army so I wouldn't compare them, but from a cost-firepower perspective the Stormsurge offers you the most firepower for its points and also has unique utility options (only model with Destroyer Missiles and truly scary EWO). The Ghostkeel has a nice niche but is hampered by low durability and high points costs, while the Riptide is absolutely crippled by its huge points cost. If Commanders got a 10/10, the Stormsurge gets a 6/10, the Ghostkeel a 5/10, and the Riptide a 4/10.

darkduck
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 30 2017 12:32

Thanks for the advice ive gotten here, im gonna get some hammerheads and use one of them as Longstrike. When it comes to the Riptide, im not gonna get another one and instead im either getting a Ghostkeel or a Stormsurge since the riptide just don't seem worth it pointwise for the time being, but maybe i will get one at a later point.

Return to “Tau Tactics”