Marker drones and you

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Marker drones and you

Post#1 » Aug 05 2017 08:53

How do people feel about Marker drones?

I have been taking them as body-guards to commander Mont'ka lists because of the benefit 1 marker light hit has for them and they have been reasonably effective, particularly with CIB in tow. What are people's thoughts?

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Marker drones and you

Post#2 » Aug 06 2017 05:35

Emberkahn wrote:How do people feel about Marker drones?

I have been taking them as body-guards to commander Mont'ka lists because of the benefit 1 marker light hit has for them and they have been reasonably effective, particularly with CIB in tow. What are people's thoughts?

Personally I prefer Pathfinders to Marker Drones, but for the time being I'm using one Marker Drone with each squad of XV8s (3 XV8s + 5 Gun Drones, 1 Marker Drone), just to have a backup Markerlight in case I need to overcharge my CIBs and don't have any other Markerlights to spare.

leo1925
Shas

Post#3 » Aug 06 2017 05:41

I prefer tetras.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 08 2017 11:15

Honestly I find them less effective than Pathfinders and Cadre Fireblades. If you're going for a Mont'Ka I'd say slap a Drone Controller on a suit or two and just spam Gun Drones. They provoke the enemy into attacking the drones in the next turn with the sheer amounts of Dakka they provide, and when they've wasted their shots on those your suits can just pick them off.

Vay
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 08 2017 12:23

They are the markerlight choice of suit armies. Infantry, pathfinders. Mech, Tetra/skyray.

They work great in my battlesuit lists. Where a min marker approach is the key... just need 1.
Shas'O Kais Vay Shone’nan

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 08 2017 12:34

They are not terrible, but they need a unit with a Drone controller and in a balanced list Pathfinder are overall better.

However I plan to experiment a bit with a Railside with Drone Controller and 2x4 Marker Drone bodyguards. Definitely not a competetive set up but it sounds cool in my head and should work well enough in casual/semi-competetive games. ^^

Another idea I have is to put a unit of Pathfinder (with Rail Rifles) in a Droneport with Marker Drones, though for that I still need to buy a Droneport first. :P

Vector Strike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#7 » Aug 08 2017 01:03

I think I'm only gonna use them with droneports. Pathfinders are overwall better

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 08 2017 01:38

TL:DR - It Depends

Marker drones have some definite advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
Mobile - Both in movement distance and ability to fire markerlights penalty free
Durability - 4+ save with the ability to throw in a Shield Drone or two for that 4++ and 5+ FNP annoyance if targeted directly

Disadavantages
BS - 5+ Base BS sucks, but a single drone controller boosts them to pathfinder equivalence
Cost - They are more expensive base than Pathfinders
Flexibility - Other than taking a couple Shield or Gun drones, they are very 1 dimensional
Savior protocols - Cannot be used to save themselves (I.e.-drone from a gun squad saving one from your marker squad) and you may be tempted to knock of Marker Drones via Savior if the enemy starts targeting something else nearby. Efficiency calculations for low strength 0 AP weapons actually say you are twice as likely to kill a drone by shooting something closeby than by shooting the drones directly if you choose to activate Saviour Protocols.
Leadership - Drones are highly susceptible to fleeing (for some unknown reason...I mean seriously...they are the most courageous unit in the game when it comes to taking damage for another model...but as soon as a couple die the rest are like "no thanks...we're gonna go back to sweeping floors and delivering Amazon packages.")

Many of these disadvantages can be mitigated (Drone Controllers, MSU, Common Sense). In the end, I've played about a third of my games using PF for ML and about the same using Drones. My play style is generally very dynamic, so PF have been less useful for me, but it all comes down to personal preference.

I will say, that the most frustrated my opponent has ever been with me was when I took 5x Drone units with 4 ML and 2 Shield Drones each and had them being controlled by a Stealth team in cover with a DC and 2 Shield Generators. He tried shooting up my drone squads first, dedicating a ton of fire just to chew through my Shield Drones in a single unit. The next turn he spent another couple units to kill the unguarded Marker Drones then went directly after the Stealth Team after he realized he'd only taken away 4 ML from my force. Needless to say, the Stealth Suits were fine.
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#9 » Aug 08 2017 05:21

I'd say only field them if you have a Drone Controller. While I don't use them myself (One less markerlight in exchange for 4 more shots works for me) I can see their value.

Return to “Tau Tactics”