XV8s - What to take with CIBs

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Maapoezdae
Shas

XV8s - What to take with CIBs

Post#1 » Aug 06 2017 09:05

I've been puzzling over a good Crisis team loadout for a while now. After reading pretty much every post on the forums that has something to do 8th Ed Crisis suits, and decided that I would go with 2x CIB and 1x Flamer (I also initially liked the CIB when I first saw it). The forums seemed mixed on flamers, but it seemed like it was worth a try, so I stuck a flamer on two of the team (theres a DC on the 'vre). The general concencus (I think) is that most support systems just aren't worth it for Crisis suits unless you specifically need to hit flyers or something (In a mirror match for example), so I think this loadout works both for me (usually vs hordes) and against most armies. I have quite a lot of anti-armour already, but this unit could help with that with the overcharged shots, and kill infantry with non-overcharged and gun drones with the DC.

Anyway, my questions here are these:
1) What would you recommend taking with two CIBs, and why. My local meta is pretty balanced between hordes and mechanised/high end, but my army is relatively all round too.
2) What would you take for an unknown opponent on a team of three XV8s (doesn't have to include CIBs)

Thanks, and sorry if this was a bit ranty, im really tired right now :D.

Maapoezdae :fear:
:fear: Space commies, but convincing :fear:

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: XV8s - What to take with CIBs

Post#2 » Aug 07 2017 04:46

Maapoezdae wrote:I've been puzzling over a good Crisis team loadout for a while now. After reading pretty much every post on the forums that has something to do 8th Ed Crisis suits, and decided that I would go with 2x CIB and 1x Flamer (I also initially liked the CIB when I first saw it). The forums seemed mixed on flamers, but it seemed like it was worth a try, so I stuck a flamer on two of the team (theres a DC on the 'vre). The general concencus (I think) is that most support systems just aren't worth it for Crisis suits unless you specifically need to hit flyers or something (In a mirror match for example), so I think this loadout works both for me (usually vs hordes) and against most armies. I have quite a lot of anti-armour already, but this unit could help with that with the overcharged shots, and kill infantry with non-overcharged and gun drones with the DC.

Anyway, my questions here are these:
1) What would you recommend taking with two CIBs, and why. My local meta is pretty balanced between hordes and mechanised/high end, but my army is relatively all round too.
2) What would you take for an unknown opponent on a team of three XV8s (doesn't have to include CIBs)

Thanks, and sorry if this was a bit ranty, im really tired right now :D.

Maapoezdae :fear:

You're correct that most systems aren't worth it- the only exception is the ATS. Here are some XV8 builds and how to use them:

3x XV8 w/ 9x CIB; 6x Gun Drones:
The "classic" CIB build. All the firepower you'll ever need, but it doesn't come cheap. One of the most expensive loadouts you can give an XV8 squad. This squad can deal with all targets. Use Manta Strike.

3x XV8 w/ 6x CIB, 3x ATS; 6x Gun Drones:
The budget version of the first build. It costs 30 points less, and is just as good against heavily-armored infantry. This build isn't as strong as the first build, but it is cheaper. Use Manta Strike.

3x XV8 w/ 6x CIB, 3x Flamer; 6x Gun Drones:
This build has two uses. First, you can Manta Strike and have some defense against charges, but you won't be able to use your flamers on the turn you arrive. Second, you can deploy normally and rush up the field, using your Flamers to damage nearby units and shooting your CIBs at priority targets.

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 07 2017 10:03

I'd also suggest swapping a CIB/ATS/Flamer for a Drone Controller. Getting +1 BS on 24 5/0/1 shots just seems too juicy

Maapoezdae
Shas

Post#4 » Aug 07 2017 03:02

Glarblar wrote:I'd also suggest swapping a CIB/ATS/Flamer for a Drone Controller. Getting +1 BS on 24 5/0/1 shots just seems too juicy

I already had a DC on the 'vre.
To clarify the original loadout was:
2x Shas'ui w/ 2x CIB and 1x Flamer
1x Shas'vre w/ 2x CIB and 1x Drone Controller

But thanks for commenting :)

Glarblar
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 07 2017 03:12

Maapoezdae wrote:
Glarblar wrote:I'd also suggest swapping a CIB/ATS/Flamer for a Drone Controller. Getting +1 BS on 24 5/0/1 shots just seems too juicy

I've seen most people run, and I agree with, the DC on a regular 'ui. That way when the drones get taken out you allocate and remove him first. Depending if you count the flamer or DC more useful for your list

Maapoezdae
Shas

Post#6 » Aug 07 2017 04:02

Glarblar wrote:
Maapoezdae wrote:

I've seen most people run, and I agree with, the DC on a regular 'ui. That way when the drones get taken out you allocate and remove him first. Depending if you count the flamer or DC more useful for your list

I just realised that too... It would just be on a 'ui. I only did it for symmetry in the first place anyway, but ill change it now to:

1x Shas'ui w/ 3x CIB
1x Shas'ui w/ 2x CIB + DC
1x Shas'vre w/ 3x CIB
6-8 Gun Drones/Marker Drones/Mix

I'm willing to spend the points for that sweet sweet CIB overload :)

Thanks guys :D

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Aug 07 2017 06:27

Maapoezdae wrote:I just realised that too... It would just be on a 'ui. I only did it for symmetry in the first place anyway, but ill change it now to:

1x Shas'ui w/ 3x CIB
1x Shas'vre w/ 3x CIB

I'm willing to spend the points for that sweet sweet CIB overload :)

Thanks guys :D

Now every model is unique! You could even make a platoon movie about it. Techie, plucky private, and grizzled sergeant.

But actually, this is probably the best all-rounder build for XV8s in 8th Edition, I think.

shasocastris
Shas'Vre
Shas'Vre

Post#8 » Aug 31 2017 05:06

Maapoezdae wrote:I just realised that too... It would just be on a 'ui. I only did it for symmetry in the first place anyway, but ill change it now to:

1x Shas'ui w/ 3x CIB
1x Shas'vre w/ 3x CIB

For the record, if you only have three suits, you can only get 6 drones.

Cheers!

Return to “Tau Tactics”