Farsight Enclaves army list. Need advice for where to go from here/what to do with what I have.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Farsight Enclaves army list. Need advice for where to go from here/what to do with what I have.

Post#1 » Aug 06 2017 04:14

Okay, right now I have an army that was pretty specced for Anti-Marines in 7th edition. As you can imagine, this has not transitioned as well as I would have liked. Right now I have:

10 Breachers

10 Fire Warriors

20 Pathfinders (3 rail rifles 2 ion rifles)

A Devilfish (2 drones)

5 Crisis suits with 2 weapons apiece (2x Flamers, 2x Plasma Rifles, 1 Plasma Rifle and 1 Burst Cannon, 2 Burst Cannons and 2 Fusion Blasters)

A Broadside (Rail Rifle and Smart Missile System)

A Riptide (Ion accelerator and Fusion Blasters. It was supposed to be O'Vesa)

A Coldstar

Farsight

A Cadre Fireblade

and a unit of stealth suits.

What should I pick up next, and how should I use what I currently have?

DancinHobo
Shas

Re: Farsight Enclaves army list. Need advice for where to go from here/what to do with what I have.

Post#2 » Aug 06 2017 06:26

I'd recommend a Hammerhead, tgey are really good. I picked up a 3rd a few weeks ago. Longstrike is a beast! Especially with other Hammerheads.

Shas' berries
Shas

Re: Farsight Enclaves army list. Need advice for where to go from here/what to do with what I have.

Post#3 » Aug 06 2017 09:07

I agree, I have a very similar list as your's recently I dropped my broadsides and riptide for a hammerhead squadron with longstrike and all his BS 2+, +1 to wound goodness. They have drastically increased the deadlines of my army. Combo them with a QFC and turn landraiders into paper weights.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 06 2017 11:15

Except that Longstrike is definitely not Farsight Enclaves so if want to stay FSE and care about using the right keywords you can't take him.
Hammerheads are not a bad idea though. The FW variants are pretty nice as well.

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 06 2017 11:24

Turn those stealth suits into six strong if they are not already?

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 07 2017 09:57

Panzer wrote:Except that Longstrike is definitely not Farsight Enclaves so if want to stay FSE and care about using the right keywords you can't take him.
Hammerheads are not a bad idea though. The FW variants are pretty nice as well.

Yeah, with the FSE keyword Longstrike's advantages are seriously hampered. I'm aware that I need hammerheads but I can't get one until Saturday at the earliest. I'm also thinking of getting a Sun Shark and a Y'Vahra

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 07 2017 10:05

Nah, you don't really NEED Hammerheads. They are good but not that good. Definitely way worse than Space Marine Predators.

The good units in our Index so far are Gun Drones, shield Drones, Commander, Stealth Suits, Pathfinder and Breacher in a Devilfish. The Y'vahra is really good as well though from Forgeworld so I generally don't inlcude it in my thoughtprocess.

Other units are either okay-ish or just bad (Riptide for example).

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 07 2017 10:09

I noticed that Farsight himself is much stronger than people give him credit for right now. I've killed Angelos, a Chaplain in terminator armor and even Typhus with him. Granted, I think he should have at least Strength 6, but y'know.

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 07 2017 10:12

If you're in need of more anti horde and some higher strength anti vehicle, may I suggest more pathfinders? A minimum unit of 5 with 3 ion rifles comes to 52 points. Take 3 units of them and you get the same firepower as a crisis team for nearly half the points, plus markerlights, and more infantry to buff with a Cadre Fireblade or an Ethereal, which gives you an outrider detachment for just under or just over 200 points. Don't underestimate how useful command points can be! :D
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 07 2017 10:33

space pope II wrote:If you're in need of more anti horde and some higher strength anti vehicle, may I suggest more pathfinders? A minimum unit of 5 with 3 ion rifles comes to 52 points. Take 3 units of them and you get the same firepower as a crisis team for nearly half the points, plus markerlights, and more infantry to buff with a Cadre Fireblade or an Ethereal, which gives you an outrider detachment for just under or just over 200 points. Don't underestimate how useful command points can be! :D

A couple of counters:

1) They don't match a Crisis suit's level of firepower if you make use of Drone Controllers and spamming Gun Drones. Their individual firepower is only a supplement for their ability to deep strike Drones where you need them.

2) Farsight Enclaves. I do not do Ethereals. I do have a Cadre though.

3) By dividing my Breachers or Fire Warriors into two, I qualify for a Battalion detachment, which gives me 3 bonus points.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#11 » Aug 07 2017 11:38

space pope II wrote:If you're in need of more anti horde and some higher strength anti vehicle, may I suggest more pathfinders? A minimum unit of 5 with 3 ion rifles comes to 52 points. Take 3 units of them and you get the same firepower as a crisis team for nearly half the points, plus markerlights, and more infantry to buff with a Cadre Fireblade or an Ethereal, which gives you an outrider detachment for just under or just over 200 points. Don't underestimate how useful command points can be! :D

They don't match the firepower of crisis as the CIB is assault 3 and become assault D3 when overcharged and deal D3 wounds instead of 1 for both regular and overcharged versions of the rifle. Not to mention that crisis are WAY tougher to kill than pathfinders and have fly which is amazing in this edition.

Bel'kro
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#12 » Aug 07 2017 12:04

Somehow I've managed to consistantly overlook the D3 damage. Thanks for pointing that out! :) Overcharged pathfinders still put out the same number of shots though, so they still make a decent poor man's Crisis team if you need the points.
Legend says his name contained over 20 apostrophes!

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#13 » Aug 07 2017 12:42

Plus again, Pathfinders can't take Drone Controllers, mount even half as many drones as a Crisis Squad, or deep strike them right up in the enemy's face in a Strategy I've taken to calling "Operation Quebeley".

Still though, I am planning to pick up an Optimized Pathfinder Team after my Hammerhead. Since y'know, the Devilfish can be converted into another Hammerhead.

CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Post#14 » Aug 07 2017 12:43

Are you primarily trying to be fluffy, or is your goal to make a competitive list?
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#15 » Aug 07 2017 01:04

Both really. I love my battlesuits but I realize that Riptides were nerfed pretty hard.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#16 » Aug 07 2017 01:09

Just keep in mind that FSE uses everything the Tau Empire uses as well, not just Battlesuits. It's only Farsight himself and his friends (plus the T'au that try to follow his example) who have such an extreme focus on Battlesuits. ;)

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#17 » Aug 07 2017 01:11

Well sure, I can't wage war using only Battlesuits. But they're the reason I picked up Tau in the first place.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#18 » Aug 07 2017 01:28

That's the reason why most people did. ;)

I too picked up T'au because of how Stealth Suits, Ghostkeel and Riptides look (and because of Breachers) though for some reason I shifted my focus towards Pathfinder, Breacher and Stealth Suits instead of bigger Suits and Crisis. :D

Return to “Tau Tactics”