Farsight Enclaves army list. Need advice for where to go from here/what to do with what I have.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
CDR_Farsight
Shas'Saal

Re: Farsight Enclaves army list. Need advice for where to go from here/what to do with what I have.

Post#19 » Aug 07 2017 03:12

So if you are staying true to fluff, Panzer is partially correct when it comes to FSE. They have access to most standard T'au Empire forces; however, the emphasis on fighting style is very different. FSE will rarely employ static gunlines. They favor mobility. Proper use of FSE should feel like a dance with the battle lines ebbing and flowing with your will.

Crisis suits will almost always fill a critical role in any FSE strategy (maybe only a small contingent but almost always present). If you are taking infantry units, they should probably be mounted (CDR Farsight learned his lessons about infantry on foot on Arkunasha). This is not to say they can't employ gunline tactics when necessary, but they like to retain the ability to pick up and relocate quickly.

Riptides are actually pretty freaking rare in the FSE, and I personally don't remember any canonical references to Ghostkeels, Tidewalls, Stormsurges (this could be due to all of the lore being relatively old and the new stuff being extremely lazy), but FSE do receive clandestine resupplies from time to time from the Empire, so theoretically they could have limited numbers of new stuff. Experimental stuff (I.E. Forgeworld) probably wont have a place in a FSE army unless you reason that they came with a resupply or FSE Earth Caste reverse engineered designs. They do have some indigenous standard and experimental production and development in the FSE.

If you are pursuing FSE in the first place, I'm sure you know Ethereals (with the exception of Aun'Shi) are out of the question.

Oddly enough, the Enclaves seem to have less integration with auxiliary races even though their particular brand of Greater Good could be argued to be more open to inclusion. Perhaps this is because the Ethereals sometimes use unnatural means to get auxiliary races to comply and assists (Vespid helmets), and Farsight himself doesn't think it's right to push their beliefs on anyone who doesn't want it. Modeling vespids with predator heads would actually be a really cool conversion to represent Vespids joining the FSE under their own free will and not the influence of the ethereals.

All of that being said....if you can come up with a compelling reason why your FSE list is the way it is, then I'll fight alongside you wearing red any day! ;)
To secure victory, the wise must adapt ~ Puretide

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Farsight Enclaves army list. Need advice for where to go from here/what to do with what I have.

Post#20 » Aug 07 2017 03:15

To be fair, a T'au Empire list should play the same way. Gunlines without Battlesuit support isn't very T'au-ish. Going full mont'ka or full kauyon is not what you see on a battlefield...it's the combination what makes a T'au army a T'au army and that counts for FSE as well (even if they prefer a more aggressive style).

I agree on the more limited unit choices though. FSE simply don't have the support of all the Sept worlds.

The lack of Auxilliary races is easily explained by politics. The Auxilliary races joined the T'au Empire. The Farsight Enclaves aren't part of the T'au Empire anymore.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#21 » Aug 07 2017 04:20

Actually there are a number of reasons for the FSE to have access to some of the other units and wargear the rest of the Empire has. Breachers for instance fit right at home. But I have more than a few in-lore explanations:

1) Farsight frequently fights other Tau forces. He has crossed swords (or rather, sword and fusion blaster) with Shadowsun quite a few times already. But their rivalry seems to have become more civil and dare I say, friendly in recent years. As such it stands to reason that he would loot whatever he finds for his Earth Castes to reverse engineer.

2) Given his infamous EMP strategem during the Damocles crusade, Farsight has a lot of ties to the Kroot. Plus his Enclaves are relatively closer to them than many Tau (I refuse to use that apostraphe) Septs. Like you said though, he could be roping them in through force of his Charisma.

3) When Torchstar defected, she brought along blueprints and prototypes. This is stated in the FSE Codex. Given his support and sleeper agents in the Tau empire it's not unreasonable to assume that other defectors would contribute to his cause this way.

4) O'Vesa is an Engineering genius. Without the Ethereals breathing down his neck he's free to explore all sorts of technology (It's even implied he's trying to reverse-engineer Warp Drives). It's possible that he was able to construct devices similar enough in function to be represented that way mechanically. Especially things like the Y'Vahra.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#22 » Aug 07 2017 04:35

Sure there are many ways to explain the new units into FSE armies. Doesn't change the fact that the FSE won't have as much access to them as the TE.

To your points:
1) No. The FSE doesn't fight the TE frequently. The FSE gets mostly ignored and while the FSE seperated itself from the TE they still chase the same goal of the Greater Good. Just one party without being under the Ethereals rule and the other with being under their rule.
It happened a few times that they fought, mainly because Shadowsun got really pissed when she learned about Farsights decision but it's not like both sides wage open war against eachother. They are basically still on the same side.

2) Yeah Kroot are the one auxilliary race you'd see more often in the FSE. Together with Gue'vesa maybe. However that's mostly due them being mercenaries with a preference of fighting together with T'au and not because they are real allies (they swore to fight together with the TE as thanks but they still sell their manpower to others as well).

3) That and similar scenarios are the only really plausible ways to explain how the FSE got access to the newer technology. The main problem still remains though. The FSE is lacking the ressources the TE has to produce new Battlesuits
in the same numbers.

4) Ethereals aren't breathing down the engineers neck. It's literally their purpose in life to maintain and invent things for the TE. I know Forgeworld is not very creative here, but Fio'O Ke'lshan Sho'Aun is the best official example we have of an Earth Caste member inventing stuff on his own volition.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#23 » Aug 07 2017 05:29

Well not AS much. They are a relatively small splinter faction, even when compared to the Tau. That doesn't mean they can't field them if the situation requires it.

TauMan
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#24 » Aug 07 2017 09:29

"I have one word for you young man. Tanks"
"Tanks?"
"Yes, the future is in Tanks!"

And more Crisis Battle suits - it is the Farsight Enclaves after all.

Celtic Barbarian? Glad to see some one else paints themselves blue for Beltane and Samhain!

TauMan
FREEEEDOM!
Viro’los gu brath!
N.Y.A.B.X.T.T.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#25 » Aug 08 2017 07:00

Well I need Crisis Suits to enact this strategy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUU2UxERkGE

Twisty
Shas

Post#26 » Aug 13 2017 07:34

I could be mistaken but i just finished Crisis of faith and i do believe there were a couple of references to Farsite having stormsurges atleast on the crossing if the gulf.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#27 » Aug 14 2017 01:31

Okay, add a hammerhead with a Railgun and SMS.

Return to “Tau Tactics”