First game with tau 7th ed.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Knives
Shas'Saal

First game with tau 7th ed.

Post#1 » Aug 10 2017 06:16

Right I have an up coming game. Against my roomate who collects space marines. Plus he has my marines to proxy. So he can field a crap ton of marines. Such as two land raiders and a terminators and a butt load of other options.

I have yet to add up the points he's just going match points.

What I'm using is basically all my models. What should I do with them?

I carry the honor of the ATT with me into battle.

You go to war with the army you have.

So I need some tactics advice tricks etc.

The game will be a straightforward destroy your enemy. No objectives. Unbound. No formations.

Cmdr.
An ethereal with hover drone
6 crisis suits.
10 fire warriors
10 breachers
10 path finders
Devil fish
Piranah
Hammerhead
2 broadsides
Gun rig shield wall and drone port.
An assortment of drones.

So how do I deploy this?

Thanks again any advice welcome.

Hawkins
Shas'Saal

Re: First game with tau 7th ed.

Post#2 » Aug 10 2017 06:36

Is this going to be 7th or 8th edition?

(I know you said 7th in the title, I just wanted to make certain)

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 10 2017 07:56

Hawkins wrote:Is this going to be 7th or 8th edition?

(I know you said 7th in the title, I just wanted to make certain)

7Th ed for sure.

Knives
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 11 2017 08:45

So I was thinking about putting the cmdr in the gun rig. And placing breachers on the wall beside him. With 3 crisis suits behind. Supported by the hammer head.

On the other side. Fire warriors. And two broadsides. And a sacrificial piranah and drone squad.

Pathfinders in a devil fish with 3 crisis suits in reserve.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 11 2017 09:17

I feel bad coming across this thread over and over again, and not being able to give advice because 7th Edition has ended. From my limited experience playing 7th Edition, this is what I'd field:

HQ - Commander w/ Drone Controller
Troops - 6x Fire Warriors
Dedicated Transport - Devilfish w/ Disruption Pods
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods; 4x Gun Drones
Elites - 3x XV8s w/ Plasma Rifles, Missile Pods; 4x Gun Drones
Fast Attack - 6x Marker Drones
Fast Attack - 6x Pathfinders
Fast Attack - Piranha w/ Fusion Blaster
Heavy Support - 2x Broadsides w/ High Yeild Missile Pods
Heavy Support - Hammerhead w/ Railgun, Disruption Pods

I don't know how many points you're playing, nor how many points that list would be (I don't have the 7th Ed. codex anymore) but if you start there you will have a good list, I think.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#6 » Aug 11 2017 09:22

No Drones on Battlesuits in 7th. It only causes your unit to run away.
Hammerhead and Pathfinder aren't exactly ideal for 7th, but with that collection it's okay I guess. However if you go with Hammerhead, go with the Ion Cannon instead of the Railgun.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#7 » Aug 11 2017 10:25

Panzer wrote:No Drones on Battlesuits in 7th. It only causes your unit to run away.
Hammerhead and Pathfinder aren't exactly ideal for 7th, but with that collection it's okay I guess. However if you go with Hammerhead, go with the Ion Cannon instead of the Railgun.

Running away is better than getting killed via Instant Death when a Lascannon or Missile Launcher hits you right?

And yeah, Knives has a small group of units to work with, but I yeah Ion and HYMP are better in 7th for high volume of light anti-tank fire for stripping away hull points. I went with the Railgun because Knives is already bringing two Broadsides, but more S7 firepower can't hurt I guess!

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#8 » Aug 11 2017 10:36

Arka0415 wrote:
Panzer wrote:No Drones on Battlesuits in 7th. It only causes your unit to run away.

Running away is better than getting killed via Instant Death when a Lascannon or Missile Launcher hits you right?

Crisis weren't nearly as expensive in 7th as they are now. They were used more as a throw away unit. If you wanted them to last a bit longer you could put in a commander with Iridium Suit, Shield Gen and Stim Injector in the unit and place him infront of it.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#9 » Aug 11 2017 10:53

Panzer wrote:
Arka0415 wrote:

Crisis weren't nearly as expensive in 7th as they are now. They were used more as a throw away unit. If you wanted them to last a bit longer you could put in a commander with Iridium Suit, Shield Gen and Stim Injector in the unit and place him infront of it.

Makes sense. I used XV8s heavily in 6th Edition (not quite throwaway back then) and 4x Gun Drones were very effective. In 7th though what you're saying makes sense- I never had LD be an issue, but I think I played all of 5 games in 7th Ed sadly. Still was active in the community though.

Return to “Tau Tactics”