Broadsides in 8e

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Broadsides in 8e

Post#1 » Aug 11 2017 06:50

Is there any point to using them right now? I have one broadside at the moment armed with a HRR and SMS. He does some sniping, sometimes killing a few things here and there, but I'm not sure if he's worth the points at the moment. I'm open to advice on the subject, as it's a nice looking model.

DancinHobo
Shas

Re: Broadsides in 8e

Post#2 » Aug 11 2017 08:20

I love my broadsides. I have 3. 2 missilesides, and 1 rail side. I want another railside. It does great against armor.

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 11 2017 08:22

The point in using them is because they look awesome and are simply cool (unless you gave them missile gloves :P ).
Unfortunately they aren't that great for their points but that's a common problem for most of our Battlesuits currently.

AleksandrGRC
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 11 2017 11:05

I used them once.
Had two, I hit a ton of times with my hympods and then scrached on wounding the russ completely. Then on my opponents turn they deleated a squad of assault marines in their overwatch.
I have heard the term spiky applied to them
I think its apt.
Use them to shake things up. Do not reley on them to peform a job that needs to get done. And since competitve lists do not typiclly risk take.

Arka0415
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#5 » Aug 12 2017 05:37

CelticBarbarian wrote:Is there any point to using them right now? I have one broadside at the moment armed with a HRR and SMS. He does some sniping, sometimes killing a few things here and there, but I'm not sure if he's worth the points at the moment. I'm open to advice on the subject, as it's a nice looking model.

If you want models that are worth their points, then sadly the Broadside isn't all that efficient. However, if you're looking for a fun, fluffy unit, it's great!

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 14 2017 07:29

I have used a HRR PR variant with target lock to move around and be a nuisance to some effect. It also randomly does work and when it does it catches my opponents eye so it tends to absorb fire after that which is where I can see points being made back but if it doesn't do anything then it doesn't get shot usually. I haven't played a truly competitive game with them though to see if it's viable.

Newtauplayer2016
Shas

Post#7 » Aug 14 2017 08:52

Like most other, I find it too expencive when comparing to other units.

Regardless, I gave my Broadsides a try in my last game (last night). I fielded 3 Missilesides with SMS and Seeker Missiles.
Against Orc Horde army, they were brilliant. Their only flaw, post battle, was the lack of Fly (disengage and fire). They got locked down in second turn, and only fired Overwatch after that, but did not suffer a wound, not even a hit.

They did wipe Zagstruk, two units of Stormboyz and half a unit of Boyz.
The Seeker Missiles finished off a Truk with KFF hiding behind cover(-save). Moreover, they became the focal-point of my opponent, to the point where he ignored other units and ran for the Broadsides to lock them down.

I fielded mine with 6 shield drones. They did the job and prevented 2-3 assaults and saved many a wounds.

In my list, I also fielded Longstrike with two Ionheads. Knowing what I was facing, I would happily replace those with more Missilesides.

Also - I love how that unit looks.

But all that aside, unfortunately, they are too expencive, they lack Fly, they are slow - and in most cases they (seem) to force me to play old-style Gunline, or more defensively.

I love how T'au has become so much more versatile in 8th. And from what I can understand, Broadsides does'nt lend themselves very well to that.

Even so, Ill probably field all my Broadsides next game, just for the heck of it. They're so sexy.

Meatstick
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 14 2017 11:54

I Managed to run 2 in a fairly static list with some deep strike elements with a massive drone screen between the two lines.

I ran HYMP with SMS and ATC. They absolutely wrecked face 2 of my 3 games.

They hands down did almost as much damage as my fusion commanders and cleared out my back line when opponents tried to deepstike their assault elements. The only problem was I was caught off guard in my 3rd game and plague drones with magnus managed to tie them up due to some short sited tactics. From that point my army fell apart as it was 420 points of heavy hitters with a 40 point investment in shield drones. It prevented my gunline to get the much needed fire support and everything just fell apart due to constant harassment from missing my first turn of heavy fire power.

My overall thoughts is that they are still great but they really lack mobility and it makes it tricky to use when you try use markerlights to allow them to move and the need for constant bubble wrap made them pretty taxing at times. Overall they were great and I feel a lot of people beat on them a lot more than they need to because PEOPLE CONSTANLY RUN COMMANDERS AND YOU CAN NOT BUBBLE WRAP WITH COMMANDERS AND COMMANDERS CANT... blabalbalballaa

Panzer
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#9 » Aug 15 2017 01:09

Nobody ever denied that Broadsides can do a lot of damage. They are just too expensive 9 out of 10 times.

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#10 » Aug 15 2017 07:05

What he said. Either the battlesuit or the weapon needs a price cut. Preferably both.

Return to “Tau Tactics”