Mathhammer - Markerlight Sources

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
QimRas
Shas'Saal

Mathhammer - Markerlight Sources

Post#1 » Aug 13 2017 09:01

So I think most people have done the math on these at this point, but I figured I would lay out what I was thinking about this morning, and my train of thought on some of these.

First off, numbers:
Points Per Markerlight Hit: (this would be the number of points dedicated to this type of unit to statistically expect at least one hit and should only be used as a gauge of efficiency and not actual point costs)
Cadre Fireblade
0ML 50.4
1+ML 43.2
Firesight Marksman
0ML 36
1+ML 27
Pathfinder
0ML 16
1+ML10.66666667
Skyray
0ML 155
1+ML 103.3333333
Sun Shark
0ML 314
1+ML 209.3333333
Tetra*
0ML 106
1+ML 70.66666667
0ML* 70.66666667
1+ML* 47.11111111

Power Level per Marker Hit:
Cadre Fireblade
0ML 2.4
1+ML 2.057142857
Firesight Marksman
0ML 1.5
1+ML 1.125
Pathfinder
0ML 1.2
1+ML 0.8
Skyray
0ML 9
1+ML 6
Sun Shark
0ML 18
1+ML 12
Tetra*
0ML 4
1+ML 2.666666667
0ML* 2.666666667
1+ML* 1.777777778

*Tetra stats marked with an * are an average of the cost per hit, and the cost per hit with the 3 tokens per hit as part of the number. Its a really rough estimation since I couldn't think of a good way to account for the 3 lights per hit.
Last edited by QimRas on Aug 14 2017 08:58, edited 1 time in total.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Re: Mathhammer - Markerlight Sources

Post#2 » Aug 13 2017 09:14

Secondly, thoughts:
So I ended up looking into this because I had this gut feeling that there was more I could do with Pathfinders, other then just relegating them to a markerlight source and assuming that was it. So I started looking into other marker sources. Firesight Marksman jumped out at me as a good staring point since they are not armed with anything other than a pistol and markerlight. That got me thinking efficiency which brought me here.

On further inspection, a general plan in my mind has been to use the Cadre Fireblades I have been using to support my Fire Warriors as a good source of the first marker hit. Firesight Marksman are then used to fill up the table or tag lower priority targets. I am considering getting a few tetras to help rapidly fill up the table in conjunction with the Fireblades and Marksman for when something needs to die Right Now. All that said, I think I am going to rely on Marksman and Fireblades for my markerlight sources for three reasons. 1) With the Marksman I can see what the results of the previous hit are before having to declare where they shoot, allowing for more consistency and flexibility in targeting over Pathfinders. 2) Frees up my Pathfinders to carry special weapons in support of my Fire Warriors. 3) Since they are characters they will be hard to remove off the board without some dedication to the task and there will be plenty of ways (like keeping a pair of shield drones nearby) to make it even harder to target and destroy them.

Peregrim
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#3 » Aug 13 2017 04:44

QimRas wrote:First off, numbers:
Points Per Markerlight Hit: (this would be the number of points dedicated to this type of unit to guarantee at least one hit and should only be used as a gauge of efficiency and not actual point costs)

You're looking at the points investment to expect one markerlight hit -- not to guarantee one. That's important to note because a cadre fireblade, for example, is more likely to land at least one hit than 2 pathfinders although 2 pathfinders are expected to land more hits on average than a single cadre fireblade.

Pottsey
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 14 2017 02:55

It might be worth looking at synergies as well. I take a drone port to protect my units. But that allows a marksmen and 4 marker drones to all hit on a BS3 with markerlights. Plus having 2+ or 3+ is a better way to start of a marker chain then 4+. Start the chain with that 2+ and the pathfinder squads gets more hits.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 14 2017 08:49

And where are the marker drones anyway?? I expect them to be somewhere after pathfinders but better than firesights.I'm not sure I understand the 0ML and 1+ML points differences. Is the first line supposed to be expected points per ML? Do you mind explaining it?

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 14 2017 08:59

Peregrim wrote:
QimRas wrote:First off, numbers:
Points Per Markerlight Hit: (this would be the number of points dedicated to this type of unit to guarantee at least one hit and should only be used as a gauge of efficiency and not actual point costs)

You're looking at the points investment to expect one markerlight hit -- not to guarantee one. That's important to note because a cadre fireblade, for example, is more likely to land at least one hit than 2 pathfinders although 2 pathfinders are expected to land more hits on average than a single cadre fireblade.

Good point. I have updated the original post to reflect that.

QimRas
Shas'Saal

Post#7 » Aug 14 2017 09:14

Yojimbob wrote:And where are the marker drones anyway?? I expect them to be somewhere after pathfinders but better than firesights.I'm not sure I understand the 0ML and 1+ML points differences. Is the first line supposed to be expected points per ML? Do you mind explaining it?

I actually completely forgot about Marker Drones. I'll have to update this for them.

The 0ML and 1+ML are the statistical points per marker at either 0 Markerlights on target, or 1 or more Marker lights on target.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#8 » Aug 14 2017 09:55

QimRas wrote:
Yojimbob wrote:And where are the marker drones anyway?? I expect them to be somewhere after pathfinders but better than firesights.I'm not sure I understand the 0ML and 1+ML points differences. Is the first line supposed to be expected points per ML? Do you mind explaining it?

I actually completely forgot about Marker Drones. I'll have to update this for them.

The 0ML and 1+ML are the statistical points per marker at either 0 Markerlights on target, or 1 or more Marker lights on target.

Got it now. I was thinking that was how many to expect. Thanks for the clarification! Marker drones are 30 PPML and 20 PPML if they have a DC.

Return to “Tau Tactics”