Firesight Marksman Vs Pathfinders.

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
Meatstick
Shas'Saal

Firesight Marksman Vs Pathfinders.

Post#1 » Aug 17 2017 02:41

Lately I have been finding my self go from 3 pathfinder teams to 2 pathfinder teams to pathfinders with weapons because they constantly die due to their sad, so very sad 5+. At least with rifles I can hide them and then bring them out the wood works to shoot their special weapons but unfortunately the 5+ to hit with a marker light after moving out of hiding isn't going to cut it for me.

Currently I'm using my cold star to call kauyon to bring them out but I feel I'm wasting my Kauyon which my drones need more for a first turn advance. SO THIS BRINGS ME TO THE Firsight.

The Firesight costs 24 pts which is quite abit more than a pathfinder but that 2+ in cover makes them really resilient to deep striker bolder fire. On top of that they can move with a 4+ to hit which is great and 3 wounds ain't too shabby. The thing is I find my self only ever needing one marker light counter so a 3+ to hit for a light is great. On top of that they fill out my elite slots really nicely to spam vanguard detachments.

Currently I'm running two pathfinder squads and marker drones deepstriking and I constantly find my drones doing the back work in late game as my pathfinders generally die in the first 2 turns.

What I want to try out is less deep strike elements as I need less drone controllers and throwing out 2 pathfinders and 2 firesights to see if I have more success.

PeeJ
Shas'La
Shas'La

Re: Firesight Marksman Vs Pathfinders.

Post#2 » Aug 17 2017 02:52

You could always go for a fireblade (or throw one in as well as the firesight)?

He can't be targetted if there are other units between him/the enemy (which there should be) and if you're doing less deepstrike and have plenty of drones (which it sounds like you do) his other abilities will come in VERY handy for you (6 shots per drone). That's in addition to his 2+ BS.

Little more expensive but much more utility.

Yojimbob
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 17 2017 07:14

Firesight is a character too so he can't be targeted in the exact same way as the Fireblade so there goes that argument. Though the extra BS and wounds is nice but that price though.

Panzer
Shas'Saal

Post#4 » Aug 17 2017 07:19

Well I do think a single Marksman is great to get your first Markerlight hit on a unit to follow up with Pathfinder....but so is a Fireblade who has BS2+ and a great ability to boost your Gun Drones or Strike Teams or even just your Pathfinder Carbines for just 18p more. ^^
I admit he has no fancy stealth field but he has 2 wounds more and better LD as well though.

The Shrike
Shas'La
Shas'La

Post#5 » Aug 17 2017 01:09

I use 3 Firesight Marskmen now as my only Markerlights. If I'm bringing a Surge, I add one additional source like Tetras or Pathfinders to get that one turn I need more hits to support D missiles.

They're great.

Return to “Tau Tactics”