Ynnari...

Discuss tactical and strategic development for 40K/Tau.
CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Ynnari...

Post#1 » Aug 18 2017 10:06

Okay, the biggest "That guy" of my local club loves to play Ynnari. I fought him once and was forced to concede after just 1 round. :::( . I still think it's bull that DRONES count for the purposes of their extra turns, but until they fix that I'm stuck without a good way to deal with them. I am open to any suggestions on how to deal with this OP army list.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Re: Ynnari...

Post#2 » Aug 18 2017 02:07

Ynnari require different paradigms.

The idea is instead of finishing off units, you want to weaken them as much as possible at range without killing anything. This is counter to the logic of every other opponent and it makes decision making very difficult, especially when combined with things like independent characters (like solitaire) or the jumping Ynnari avatar.

Another thing to keep in mind is the 7'' range. When you kill a unit, kill the one bridging the gap between other units, cutting the soul burst "chain". Also, keep your units (especially squishy drone squads) at least 7''+move range away from enemies to stop their use as a catalyst.

Also, Ynnari work best bunched up, but most eldar good stuff is close range. Thus, spread your army to pull them around the board.

Also, no matter what the eldar player says, each unit can only soul burst once per turn, keep them honest about it.
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#3 » Aug 18 2017 05:20

Okay the spreading thing seems like a good idea. A Sun shark seems like a good choice since on average it'll kill half of the unit (Assuming you use it against infantry). I'm still hoping that a deep strike will help somewhere along the line.

Iron-Fist
Shas'Ui
Shas'Ui

Post#4 » Aug 18 2017 06:46

Deepstriking is great vs ynnari, deepstrike a commander behind a unit and pull it back to the other side of the board.

I don't think any of our flyers are cost effective options, but if you can make it work go for it.
Augmented Puretide Council
The Tau Deathstar 2015: 8-1

CelticBarbarian
Shas'Saal

Post#5 » Aug 18 2017 07:38

Iron-Fist wrote:Deepstriking is great vs ynnari, deepstrike a commander behind a unit and pull it back to the other side of the board.

I don't think any of our flyers are cost effective options, but if you can make it work go for it.

The Sunshark is, since it's a bomber with unlimited ammo for the bombardment. Anything else though is situational at best.

Emberkahn
Shas'Saal

Post#6 » Aug 20 2017 06:18

Coldstars, CIB Commanders, Tiger-sharks all absolutely obliterate Eldar.

The greatest power Tau gained this edition was flexibility of engagement. We are highly mobile and can relocate our entire army from one side of the board to the other in a turn in a way that no other team can. This means that we can easily pick off isolated units.

Case in point: Ynarri, which tend to have a CC wing and a Shooting wing, usually Dark Reapers. Best strategy is to just burst down one of those wings turn one. We have incredible capacity to do this now.

Return to “Tau Tactics”